Kamala (กมลา) is on the west coast of Phuket, just to the north of Patong, and immediately south of Surin Beach.
Kamala,pronounced "Ga Ma Lar" provides a haven for those who prefer the quieter life. Although the southern end of the beach can get busy in the high season, the northern end is peaceful all year round. "Rim Haad" (Beach Road), at the southern end, has a number of small 20-30 room hotels for the low/medium budget traveller. Friendly service and village feel and a diversity of restaurants and small bars can be found on this small road. Cheaper food options/market stalls can be found on the main Kamala Road.
The only public transportation is via blue songthaews, which run from Kamala to Surin to Phuket Town. They do not run south toward Patong or north toward the airport--you must change in Phuket Town.
If you're coming from other beaches along the west coast, consider Smart Bus (with fares between 50 and 170 baht).
From the airport, it is 750 baht by taxi or a cheaper option will be Smart Bus (150 baht if you have a Rabbit card or 170 flat fare) - the bus stops at Big-C supermarket close to the town center.
From Patong, the cost is 400 baht by taxi.
From Phuket Town, you can take a blue songthaew bus for 40 baht. The route is Phuket Town - Surin - Kamala.
Kamala is easily walkable. You can also rent motorbikes or even pedal bicycles at several shops. The only public transportation are the blue songthaews that run north and east toward Surin Beach and Phuket Town, which can be caught from the beach road in Kamala or a bit north on the main road just outside the Kamala Post Office.
- Phuket FantaSea: This is referred to as the Disneyland of South East Asia. The show includes dances, acrobatics, performances by a variety of animals and a magic show, all with fireworks and 3D lighting effects. VIP seats are in the first few rows while regular seats are at the middle and back. While you can get up close to the stage with the more expensive VIP seats, some of the acrobatics performances are above the audience heads, and sitting on the front rows will force you to crane your necks to look up above you, regular seats will actually have a better view of those performances.
The show has been amidst controversy due to the animals performing, and witnessed abuse and mistreatment of the performing animals. ATD Travel Services(amongst other travel agencies) have removed sales to Phuket FantaSea due to it not meeting the World Animal Protection standard for animal welfare.
Activities that have animals should be researched as most involve cruelty towards the animals.
There are two weekend markets in Kamala. One is located across the street from the Fantasea show, and begins at around 3:00 PM every Friday. While local food is available and prices are relatively low, there is still a very "touristy" feel to this. The other market is across from the Big C supermarket on the main road, occurring every Wednesday and Saturday from early morning until 7:30 PM. More local people tend to flock to this market. Prices tend to already be marked. Both offer clothes (new and used), food, fruit, shakes, electronics, tourist trinkets, and general household goods for sale.
There is a Buddhist temple at the south end of the beach, while several locally-frequented mosques are located in the residential areas along the eastern side of town.
In the middle of the beach, there is a small park with a tsunami monument, which devastated the local area in 2004.
If you are looking to spend most of the time on the beach enjoying the sea, this is a very good place to be. The beach is quite nice and is not too crowded. The sea floor is nice and sandy. In the afternoons the water spectacularly recedes leaving a blanket of rocks at the left end of the beach for local fishing and a beautiful swimming area at the right end of the beach.
On the beach, you won't be able to avoid a Thai massage. These are offered at small stalls along the beach, and the rate seems fixed at 300 baht/hour. Even if you're not comfortable with a full body massage, don't miss out on a heavenly foot massage. Get one daily and help support the local economy while enjoying a pampering.
The Kamala Wat is located at the south end of the beach and is almost unnoticeable. The temple and its grounds have been restored since the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami and the Buddhist locals and resident monks welcome curious Australians and foreigners. It was the Australian television program Backyard Blitz that helped restore the gardens of the wat after the tsunami. A memorial tree is placed in the garden with a dedication plaque and the walls of the main temple are a beautifully decorated story of Buddha. Visiting this wat can be an enlightening and cultural experience; pictures and events of the tsunami are displayed on a board for foreigners to see and the monks allow photos of the grounds as long as you're in the company of a local.
If more entertainment is desired, you can take a taxi to Patong. Taxis, however, are unreasonably expensive: ~500 baht one-way (less if you bargain). Tuk-tuks are a simple and (sometimes) cheap way to leave Kamala. Tuk-tuks to Patong cost around 300 baht. Some of the hotels provide an affordable shuttle to Patong.
Catching the songthaew to Phuket Town or further is a cheap cultural experience for travellers unwilling to pay the cost of taxis or tuk-tuks. The bus is fantastic and cheap, if you are willing to share it with curious locals. In Kamala the bus runs every hour and passes along the main road. You need only to flag it down and jump through the back. You pay the driver at the end of your journey.
Merlin Divers Phuket SSI Dive Center has half-day trips to dive sites around Kamala, like Kamala Rock, a boulder site with plenty of fish; Ko Weo- a small reef island; Tin Lizzy, a dredger wreck; and Tai Pau, a shallow sand bottom site. The dives are done by longboat and are often quite enjoyable. 
- Nahm Spa (Best spa in Kamala, Phuket), 16/12 Moo.6, Tambon Kamala, Phuket, Phuket, Thailand, 83150 (Hotel spa in HyattRegency Phuket Resort), ☎ +66 7623 1234, . 9:00 a.m.. A tranquil hotel spa within Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort offering a wide range of massage, facial and body treatments. Perfect for your day or nightime getaway. 10:00 p.m.. (7.9461219,98.2676742) edit
Kamala has some small convenience stores, one of them a 7-11. There are quite a few souvenir shops on the road, along with some tour offices where you can book lots of different tours for diving.
Most noticeable are about 20 to 30 tailors (including two just outside the Kamala Bay Garden Resort), which all try to guess your nationality and offer the 'best and cheapest suits in Western fashion'. Before entering one of them, you should be well aware what you want and what you are willing to pay for it. Upon delivery, you should check all seams.
- Shyam Tailor House, 100/19 Moo 3, Soi 12, Kamala Beach Phuket., ☎ +66805253761., . One of the best and reliable place for designer suit, shirt and ladies dresses by an experienced and high quality bespoke tailor. edit
Be mindful that as Kamala is not as vibrant and commercial compared to Patong and Kata, expect culinary choices, and, opening hours, for that matter, not to be as generous and wide compared to the former. Some restaurants begin to close at 9pm, which is unheard of further south.
There are quite a few restaurants directly on the beach. Usually they show some fresh fish and seafood on ice, where you can choose exactly what to eat.
One of them offers a weekly BBQ. All you can eat. You should make a reservation in time to get a table, but actually, it's not worth it.
In the village you also find an abundance of restaurants, also with the seafood in the front on ice. Those which offer fewer Western dishes often have the best Thai dishes.
- Kamala Bakery, (next door to the Siam Commercial Bank on the main road between Patong and Surin on the Patong side of Kamala). The bakery has good breakfast options and tasty breads. Clean and with air-con. Not that cheap and will charge 5 baht extra for a little jam. Surroundings not as pleasant as Rockfish, but the food is more substantial. edit
- Rockfish, (south of the beach, on the hillside), . For breakfast, try the Rockfish. It is rather splendid, and not too cheap. Breakfast special is only 99 baht for juice, coffee and some breakfast (several choices).. edit
- PP&P, (middle of the beach, adjacent to Smile Bar and across from the big pink shop-houses.). There is one Thai place on the beach that seems to get repeat visits from the locals that run the hotels. Hard to find, but absolutely worth it if you want quality, clean and authentic Thai food at excellent prices (sometimes hard to find in Phuket). The chef ("Wichet"), a friendly English-fluent former cook at the Four Seasons, is incredibly approachable and gregarious. His Thai dishes are packed with local herbs and spices, and all made fresh. Get the pomelo salad, the coconut chicken soup, and anything you want in his special red curry/tamarind sauce. Right on the water. He can organize a romantic dinner in advance. About 650 baht for a 5-course meal for two. edit
- Salt and Pepper, (Kamala mainstreet), . Swedish owned restaurant in middle of Kanala serving both international and thai food. The food is great, but the prices a little steep compared to neighbouring restaurants. edit
- Sam's Indian Cafe, Wine & Beer., 100/19 Moo3 Soi 12 Kamala Beach Indian, Thai (opposite to Swissotel Resorts Kamala), ☎ + 66805253761. Indian, Thai, sea food good for lunch, dinner edit
- Sunset Grill (Best Restaurant with a view in Kamala), 16/12 Moo.6, Tambon Kamala, Phuket, Phuket, Thailand, 83150, ☎ 0762311234, . 6:00 p.m.. Pirch atop a cliff overlooking Kamala beach, Sunset grill has outstanding sunset view and delicious dishes to compliment your evening. From prime cuts to perfectly grilled seafood and Indian tandoori, savour every moment you will cherish for long at Sunset Grill. 10:00 p.m.. (7.9472678,98.2680495) edit
There are several bars in Kamala, most designed to suit the tourists who flock to Phuket in the tourist season. For example, the White Sun Bar, Welsh Bar and the Aussie Bar are bars that have a certain patriotic atmosphere, but are rather quiet in the off-season. Bob's Bar is located on the main road, towards the south end of the beach and provides standard cocktails as well as exotic original cocktails, notably the "Kamala Sunset", a concoction designed by Bob himself.
The Beer Garden and its neighbor across the street offer several billiard tables.
Bargirls frequent most establishments. You can practice your Connect 4 skills with them.
- The Pool Bar (Best bar in Kamala Beach), 16/12 Moo.6, Tambon Kamala, Phuket, Thailand, 83150 (Within Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort next to the pool), ☎ 0762311234, . 9:00 a.m.. A pool bar overlooking a large infinity pool and ocean. The Pool Bar serves a good variety of refreshments from homemade Thai iced tea to exotic cocktails. It is a good place place to chill, mingle, hangout or party the night away with a resident DJ. 11:00 p.m.. (7.9461219,98.2676742) edit
Kamala beach has a lot of small bungalows and huts directly on the beach, at about 1,600 to 2,000 baht per night in the high season. If you don't want to book one of the bigger hotels, you should start with one night booked in advance and then look for accommodation yourself. Don't let some agency at the airport book rooms for you. Hostel beds can be had as well.
If staying long-term, consider renting out an apartment or house--prices for a month begin at around 4500 baht for the bare minimum, 6500 baht for an AC room, or 10000 baht for a serviced apartment/2BR house.
- Kamala Resort And Spa, 9/24 Surin-Rawai Road, Moo 6, Kamala, Kathu, Phuket, Thailand 83000, ☎ +66 76-279-900, . checkin: 10:00; checkout: 14:00. air conditioning, cable TV, and Internet., restaurant, swimming pool, and spa. From 1,450 baht. (7.944904,98.278286) edit
- Glam Habitat Hotel, 112/39 Kamala, Kathu, Phuket, Thailand 83150, ☎ +66 76-609-710, . checkin: 10:00; checkout: 14:00. air conditioning, cable TV, and Internet., restaurant, private swimming pool, and spa. From 3,000 baht. (7.9560649,98.2831104) edit
- Aquamarine Resort & Spa (อความารีน รีสอร์ท แอนด์ สปา), 17/38 Mu 6, Hat Kamala, Amphoe Kathu, ☎ +66 76 310 600 (fax: +66 76 310 630). 202 rooms. 4,500 baht. edit
- Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa, 22/10 Moo 6, Kathu, ☎ +66 76 310 777, . Ocean view rooms, air conditioning, cable TV, DVD player, and Internet. Has bar, restaurant, swimming pool, and spa. From 13,000 baht. edit
- Private Luxury Penthouse, Kamala, . checkin: 2:00 pm; checkout: 12:00 noon. This penthouse is located about half-way down the West Coast of Phuket, facing the Andaman Sea. Nestled on a gentle hillside overlooking the Kamala Bay and open sea it takes full advantage of the views on offer. The apartment has two comfortable bedrooms along with spacious living and dining areas and an open terrace. The penthouse is just about 20 minutes by car from Phuket International Airport. edit
- Baan Andara, 15 Moo. 6 Kamala Beach, ☎ 0 887 475 838, . Set above the famous Kamala Beach, Baan Andara is part of this gated estate where you’ll find some of Thailand’s most luxurious homes. Each secluded villa owns their private pools and manicured gardens. From USD 1650. edit
- Baan Chaba (บ้านชบา), 95/3 Mu 3, Kamala, ☎ +66 76 279 158. 8 rooms 1,200 baht. edit
- Benjamin Resort, (on the beach). 600 baht per night for a 2 person room, including breakfast (ham & eggs, toast, coffee, tea, fruit).. edit
- Kamala Bay Garden Resort (กมลา เบย์ การ์เดน รีสอร์ท), 100/10 Hat Kamala Rd, ☎ +66 76 325 722-7 (fax: +66 76 325 721), . 200 m from the beach. Pool with waterslide, restaurant, and all rooms are suites (choice of one-, two-, or three-bedrooms). 180 rooms. 4,700-8,000 baht.. edit
- Kamala Bay Terrace Resort ((กมลา เบย์ เทอเรซ รีสอร์ท)), 16/12 Hat Kamala, ☎ +66 26 776 240-5, . 123 rooms 5,900-15,000 baht. edit
- Kamala Beachfront Apartment, 107/1 Soi police station, ☎ +66(0)76-385 412 - 5, . Their Phuket accommodation offers rooms equipped with electronic safety box, hair dryer, free ADSL Internet access, 29' satellite-TV and DVD player. Some of its facilities and services are pool bar, laundry room, saltwater swimming pool, jacuzzi, free internet service in the lobby, night time security, baby sitting, telephone and fax. Rate starts at 3,200 THB. edit
- The Club Residence, (Located within walking distance of Kamala Beach.), ☎ +66 0 76 32 31 28 ([email protected]), . A variety of 1 and 2 bedroom apartments overlooking pool and palms. Each apartment comes with kitchenette, cable TV, WiFi access and balcony or terrace. edit
- Rojjana Residence, 10/70 T.Kamala A.Kathu.Kamala beach (Going to Patong by the main road,last street on your right), ☎ O76385558/O894751326 ([email protected], fax: 076385558). checkin: 9 am; checkout: 12 am. A really clean, calm and friendly place. running by Suporn and Aikom,an helpful and friendly thai couple. A six rooms résidence with air conditioning, hot shower, TV, fridge, safety box, wifi, and balcony. You can access to a beautiful swimming pool too at the next door! Laundry service, western and thai food, bike and motorbike for rent. Near to Phuket Fantasia and 5 minutes walking from the beach front and from the typical food market. Hight/low season:2900 bath/1400 bath. edit
- Samsara Phuket, Kamala Soi 16, 1/21 Moo 6, Kamala Kathu, 83120 Amphoe Muang Phuket, Thailand, . A range of private luxury villas boasting modern designs, infinity pools and stunning panoramic views. Each villa comes with two live-in staff. edit
- Kamala Beach Resort, A Sunprime Resort, 96/42-3, Moo 3, Kamala Beach Kathu, Phuket, 83150, Thailand, ☎ +66 76 201800, . Children probably think that this is totally boring place. Adults traveling without children describe this as simply wonderful. ADULTS ONLY POLICY: The guest must be 15 years old or above. edit
- Glam Habitat Hotel, 112/39 Kamala Kathu, ☎ 076609710, . checkin: 2019-11-20; checkout: 2019-11-20. Set only 100 meters away from the pristine white sand beach of Kamala, Glam Habitat Hotel Phuket is where luxury and nature blend seamlessly. Dive into paradise in our black tile swimming pool, soak up the sun on the sea-view rooftop garden and enjoy wide range of cocktails and drinks at the pool bar to complete your perfect holiday. If this is not one of the best hotels in Kamala, or better yet, in Phuket, we don’t know what is. (7.9560649,98.2831104) edit
Most Internet providers charge 1 baht/minute, usually with a minimum charge of 10 baht.
Jackie Lee Tours charges 1 baht/minute and no minimum, and all the usual tours and events can also be booked here.
25 baht/hour in Kamala (Main) Road 78/6 opposite of CLUB EURO - coffee or tea 10 baht.