Kalutara is in the western province of Sri Lanka.
Kalutara is a town in Sri Lanka which is located in southern west coastline of Sri Lanka. With a community of 39,700 Kalutara town is governed by the western province in Sri Lanka. Kalutara is very popular among many travelers for its variety of attractions and growing tourists’ lodgings.
Kalutara is located on the A2 highway connecting Colombo, via Galle through to Wellawaya via Matara towns.There are many ways of transportation from buses to trains to get to Kalutara town.
In order to get around Kalutara travelers has two railway stations to choose from, which runs in the southern coastline of Sri Lanka. Apart from that there are many taxis (known as tuk tuks) available for your convenience. Kalutara has many tourists’ hotels, inns, guesthouses, and different kinds of sea food restaurants further many travelers spend time along the Kalutara beach as well.
Kalutara Viharaya, Kalutara Bodhiya, Richmond Castle, Calido beach, & Asokaramaya Buddhist Temple are some of the historical places where travelers spend their time taking photos and learning about the history of Kalutara Sri Lanka.
There are plenty of things to do in Kalutara, travelers can go on a river safari in “Madu Ganga”, take a trip to the local fish market and getting to know how the fish gets around restaurants and hotels, travel to Galle dutch fort, get active with water sports at Club inter sport in Bentota which has easy access from Kalutara, Further travelers can take a trip to the Sinharaja Forest Reserve, and take a look at the Turtle Conservation Project.
When it comes to shopping in Kalutara there are supermarkets for you daily needs, and interesting bazaar shops for travelers such as gem shops, art galleries and batik material shops. Many travelers find shopping in Kalutara very in-expensive and tend to buy more gems and pieces of art work. To name a few popular shops are the Wedage gems, Tantra Art gallery
Kalutara is very popular for mouth watering seafood cuisines, apart from the lavish dishes in hotels there are many restaurants and street cafes in Kalutara for your taste buds. Seafood cuisines range from fresh lobster meals, to traditional Srilankan dishes. To name a few restaurants you might want to try are the Restaurant, King Fish restaurant, & happy banana sea view restaurant.
- MANGROVE, AVANI Kalutara Resort, St. Sebastian’s Road, Katuturunda, Kalutara,Sri Lanka, ☎ +94 344 297700, . Breakfast | 7:00 am – 10:00 am. Lunch | 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm. Dinner | 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm. Two gorgeous views and a world of flavours. Dine in air-conditioned comfort whilst overlooking the ocean or on an al fresco terrace by the river. edit
- Moya Restaurant, AVANI Kalutara Resort, St. Sebastian’s Road, Katuturunda, Kalutara,Sri Lanka, ☎ +94 344 297700, . 10:00 am – 10:00 pm. Satisfy your hunger with gourmet deli sandwiches made from healthy seasonal produce. Opt for a tempting array of light and spicy Sri Lankan bites. Match fresh seafood with fantastic beach views. edit
King coconut is one great drink for your thirst buds, Discover street shops along the roads in Kalutara and grab a king coconut which will cost only 50 to 60 Rupees. Apart from that travelers can now chill at several pubs such as "Miridiya Bar at AVANI Kalutara", “Machang” and “Sakura Pub”.
- Miridiya Bar, AVANI Kalutara Resort, St. Sebastian’s Road, Katuturunda, Kalutara,Sri Lanka, ☎ +94 344 297700, . 10:00 am – 12:00 midnight. Hang out in Miridiya Bar, a happening spot with refreshing views. Watch the Kalu Ganga River meander by, enjoying tasty snacks by day, and fruity cocktails later on (6.568795,79.960149) edit
- Karadiya Bar, AVANI Kalutara Resort, St. Sebastian’s Road, Katuturunda, Kalutara,Sri Lanka, ☎ +94 343 336530, . 10:00 am – 12:00 midnight. Chill out by the pool at Karadiya Bar. Pair light bites with cooling beverages. Swaying palms, lush landscaping and ocean in the background add a soothing vibe. edit
- AVANI Kalutara Resort, St. Sebastian’s Road, Katuturunda, Kalutara 12000 Sri Lanka, ☎ (+94) 344 297700, . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 12.00. Avani Kalutara is located in the southern west coastline of Sri Lanka. The resort is in between the famous "Kalu Ganga" River and the Indian ocean. The Kalutara Bodhiya and the Kalutara Fishing harbour are some of the main attractions around the Resort. Room Rates Starting From USD 77. (6.568795,79.960149) edit
- Anantara Kalutara Resort, St Sebastian Road, Katukurunda,Kalutara, Sri Lanka, ☎ (+94) 34 222 0222, . Situated in Sri Lanka's south west coastline Anantara Kalutara Resort is ideal for families for an amazing time. The resort's unique architectural design is inspired by the late famous architect Geoffrey Bawa. USD 205. (6.565928,79.963188) edit
- Kamili Beach Villa, No. 531, First Station Road, Waskaduwa, ☎ (+94) 34 22 31 777, . All rooms are equipped with air-conditioning, sitting area, balcony, bathroom, lounge, mini bar and direct sea view. Some of its facilities and services are bar and coffee shop with sea views, restaurant, reading room, shop, gym, spa and internet connection. Rates start at 265.00 USD. edit
- Mermaid Hotel & Club, Mahawaskaduwa, Kalutara, Sri Lanka, ☎ +94 (0) 347 200 478, . Mermaid Hotel & Club is a hotel in the South Coast of Sri Lanka, located along Mahawaskaduwa Beach, in Kalutara. The property is 24 miles from the commercial capital Colombo and 45 miles from the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA). Room rates starting from USD 92. (6.617590,79.944909) edit
Important contact details for travelers would be as follows;
- Kalutara North Police Station, Address (Kalutara North,Kalutara), phone number ((+94) 034 2 236409)
- Kalutara South Police Station, Address (Kalutara South,Kalutara), phone number ((+94) 034 2 222222)
- Kalutara Railway Station, Address (Station Rd, Kalutara), phone number ((+94) 034 2 222271)
- Kalutara General Hospital, Address (General Hospital Kalutara, Kalutara), phone number ((+94) 034 2 222261)
Since Kalutara is located on the A2 highway connecting Colombo, travelers now have easy access to Colombo the capital of Sri Lanka, and also the Bandaranayake International airport in Katunayake.