Kalugumalai is a town in Tamil Nadu, India.
Kalugumalai is a important place in the 8th Century when Pandavas were ruling. It was also known as Araimalai, Thirunersuram or perunersuram. It was a important Jain settlement place where Mahavira was worshipped and preached.
Monolith Rockcut Vettuvan Koil
The temple is around 20 km from Kovilpatti. All the buses to Sankarankoil via Kovilpatti will stop at Kalugumalai. Kovilpatti is well connected with Madurai and Tirunelveli.
The temple in Kalugu Malai Hills and temple at the foothills of Kalugu Malai. On the east side of the Kalugumalai Vettuvan Koil is situated. On the south side Jaina Abode is Situated.
- Vettuvan Koil, (From the Kalugumalai bus stop walk 6oo m towards north. You will see the entrance to the rock cut temples). 7.30 AM to 7.30. The Vettuvan Koil and Jaina Abode are locked with grill gates. If requested the security will open the doors. The entrance is free for the temple complex. About 7.5 meter of the mountain is excavated in a rectangular fashion and in the middle the temple is sculpted from a single piece of rock. The carvings reflect the southern temple style of the Pandya era. Only the top portion of the temple is completed. The temple has an entrance and centre hall for the main deity. In the later days Ganesha's idol is kept and worshipped. At the top of the temple beautiful sculpture of Uma Maheswarar, Dakshinamoorthy, Vishnu and Brahma can be found. This temple looks like the Kailasnath temple in Ellora. edit
- Jaina abode, (Southern side from Vettuvan Koil). There are many rock cut images dating to the 4th and 3rd century B.C. in the area, including the rock cut image of Bhagawan Parshwanatha flanked by two Yaksha, as well as many other rock cut images of other tirthankaras. edit
A portion of Jain Sculptures
- Kalugasalamoorthy temple. The main deity of this temple is Murugan. The main deity hall and entrance hall is caved inside the foot hills of kalugumalai. The temple has many aesthetic sculptures.The temple dates to 18th century. The main deity is Lord Murugan with his wife Deivanai. Inside the same complex there is another Shiva temple.There is a holy pond inside the temple complex. edit
Take lot of photos of the sculptures. Understand the history of the people in 8th century in that location.
- Buy flowers for offering in the temple.
- Buy food offered at the temple
Only small and road side shops are available. So it will be a good idea to pack food.
There is no lodging in Kalugumalai. One has to stay in Kovilpatti.