Juazeiro do Norte is a city in Ceará, Brazil, one of the largest pilegrimage sites of South America. It forms a larger urban area, dubbed CraJuBa, with neighbouring Crato and Barbalha adding up some 400 000 people. Another 100 000 from smaller towns join in on Cariri.
Bus station some 3 km from the centre. Guanabara has most departures. Taxi to the centre R$ 10.
Daily flights to Fortaleza, Petrolina, Recife, Brasília and São Paulo by Gol and Oceanair.
A great number of buses pass by the western corner of Praça Padre Cicero, particularly at the terminal-like structure there.
Most of the sights revolve around the religious character Padre Cicero:
- On Horto, a hill some 7 km nortwest of the centre, stands the statue of Padre Cicero, together with other dedications. Take bus Horto from Praça Padre Cicero, every hour on the hour.
- Memorial Padre Cicero. 8 AM - 5 PM. Mostly pictures explaining life and work. Free. edit
- The last few days of October has 500 000 people coming to town, in a religious festival known as the Romaria.
There must be hundreds of tiny shops loaded with religious trinkets. Why not buy a two-inch Padre Cicero?
- Lanconete Vitória, Avenida Padre Cicero 438 (Half a block from the square). Late afternoon and evening. Burgers R$ 2-5, juices R$ 2-3. edit
A few simple, open-air spots at Praça Padre Cicero.
- Barzinho do Zé, Rua Padre Cicero 498 (One block up from the square). Lunch till late. A notch more sophisticated than its neighbours. Often live music. Set lunch at R$ 4,50. Large beer R$ 3. edit
Dozens and dozens of pousadas in the center, particularly near Praça Padre Cicero. The cheapest (from R$ 10 per person) are on a strip of Rua São José, one block off the square.
- Verdes Vales Lazer Hotel, Av. Plácido Aderaldo Castelo, Lagoa Seca Juazeiro do Norte - CE, 63040-540, Brazil (take a taxi from the airport. Approx 10 minutes.), ☎ +55 88 3566-2544, . checkin: 1400; checkout: 1200. Nice hotel with clean bright rooms, a/c, tv, free wi-fi(fast enough to stream video), restaurant,hot showers, and attached water park. Located outside of city center, but quiet and clean. (-7.24434,-39.31755) edit
- Laundry, Rua Padre Pedro Ribeiro, by the corner of Rua Santa Rosa. Pick up next day. Wash and dry R$ 1-2 per garment. edit
- Internet at several places along Rua Padre Cicero, uphil from the square, R$ 1/hour.