Johnson City is a bustling metropolis in Eastern Tennessee.
Greyhound  137 W MARKET ST Johnson City, TN 37601
A car is best for this area. Public transit operates with limited hours of operation and the area has been allowed to develop so that it is impossible to get around by bike or walking. The local bus service is run by JCT (Johnson City Transit System)  Fare is 75 cents per ride. Transfers are free.Monday through Friday from 6:15 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. (last 30-minute route begins at 5:45 p.m.), and on Saturday from 8:15 a.m. to 5:15 p.m (last 30-minute route begins at 4:45 p.m.). Buses stop one per hour.
Rocky Mount Living History Museum  - An 18th century living history open air village. They have people dressed in period clothing demonstrating what life was like at the time. The Museum is Located just north of town, and can be reached by bus on the SILVER LINE. 200 Hyder Hill Rd
Piney Flats, Tennessee
Hands On Regional Museum  Kids science and discovery museum. 315 East Main Street Johnson City, Tennessee 37601 (423) 434-HAND (4263)
Gray Fossil Site  Run by East Tennessee State University, this is a museum devoted to the recent discoveries since 2000 of fossils from the Miocene period, including red pandas, turtles, tapirs, a rhino and a bear.
The Down Home  Founded in 1976, the Down Home has become a mecca for music lovers in Upper East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. The primary emphasis is on quality music, and the performance atmosphere promotes listening rather than socializing. There is plenty of time for friendly conversation before the show and between sets. With an excellent sound system hung from the ceiling, the club is a favorite of performers as well as listeners. 300 W. Main Street. Johnson City, Tennessee. Beer & Food Available. Cash Only
- Alleykat - Good subs, sandwiches, fries. Locally owned. Not open Sundays
- Applebee's Neighborhood Grill - If you're too lazy to heat up your own food.
- Amigo. Only if El Charolais is closed. edit
- Antillio's - Greek/Italian/Mediterranean. Good Stuff, moderately priced. They Deliver.
- Burger Bar (Inside Doubletree Hotel) - Yea, just go to Five Guy's across the street.
- Cootie Browns. Idiosyncratic place with an ecletic menu - all very tasty. Arguably the best pizza in JC. edit
- El Charloais - The best Mexican food in The United States. If you think you might utilize the 'yellow sauce' you might want to consider throwing the toilet paper in the freezer before hand. Don't be stingy, there's plenty to go around.
- Freibergs - German Cuisine. Outrageous lunch specials. The front door is really great. Located Downtown
- Italian Pizza Pub - Oddly satisfying for being so small, divey. Good deals with ETSU I.D.
- Knight's Pizza - A JC Staple. Basically on ETSU's Campus. Great beer selection, good ZA, pickle spears, TVs, patio.
- Main Street Pizza - Good pizza and good beer selection. Open late.
- Mid City Grill - Open late, the best burger in the state of Tennessee. If you're here and you're sober then you're doing it wrong.
- Poor Richards - Local institution serving sandwiches and such.
- Ruby Tuesday's - Only as a last resort.
- Sahib - Indian. Lunch Buffet is quality and moderately priced.
- Scratch Pizza - Brick oven pizza. Order the "trust pizza" (they decide what to put on it), a Dr. Enuf (JC's local soda), and choose a record from their collection to spin. You won't regret it.
- Shoney's - Breakfast buffet. The only place where your server is guaranteed to be more hungover than you.
- Acoustic Coffeehouse. edit
- The Cottage. A blue collar bar. edit
- Holy Taco - decent food and a quiz night on Thursdays. Eclectic crowd.
- Willow Tree - Half coffee shop, half music room. Similar to The Acoustic Coffee House but not as good of beer selection. Better food for sure. Usually hosts a plethora of local bands.
- Carnegie Hotel, 1216 W. State of Franklin Road, ☎ +1-423-979-6400, . A nice hotel, with a very nice bar and restaurant. Claims on their website that they are a revival of the old hotel that once existed- and this might be true in terms of their inspiration- but the hotel building itself is only a few years old. edit
- Hampton Inn Johnson City, 508 North State of Franklin Road 37604, ☎ +1-423-929-8000, . Modern lodging is a 9-minute walk from East Tennessee State University and Johnson City Medical Center. Amenities include a gym and an outdoor pool. Parking is included, while a 24/7 business center and convenience store are also available. The rooms are large and clean, the staff is friendly and professional. (36.31311798,-82.38732910) edit
- Carter Family Fold, Hilton, VA. Probably the most interesting destination in the whole area. Old-time and bluegrass music, about an hour away. $7 to get in, concerts every Saturday night.
- Rock Creek Camp Ground is a U.S. Forest Service camp ground that is clean and not that far from Johnson City (Erwin, TN); it has bathrooms and swimming pond and trails but is not open year round (closed during winter).
|Routes through Johnson City