In the past It was village in vicinity of Ljubljana but today is part of Ljubljana located in the north of the town at the Sava river. It has the only camp in Ljubljana.
This Slovene village was attested in written sources in 1356 as Gezziczsch (and as Yessicz in 1425 and Jesicz in 1464). Village was build on terracse of river Sava, to avoid the fluds that were common in lower parts. Through the past it was always in big relation with town of Ljubljana. Farmers who produced food usually sell their products to people from Ljubljana. Since 19 century Ježica presented tourist point for inhabitants of Ljubljana who visited its famous inn's in weekends. After the first world war Stern's Spa presented the most popular site here. During war tourism died. After 1965 when autocamp was established, tourists started returning. Unlike before, mostly foreigner tourists started coming. But their reason was vicinity of Ljubljana, which was their main goal to see. In year 1984 more than 25.000 guests visited municipality Bežigrad, where mostly Ježica had its accommodations. This ranked municipality in 18th place, among other municipalities in Slovenia, comparing number of tourists. Today's type of tourists stays the same as they were in the past. This are mostly foreners visiting Ljubljana, while village Ježica brings them no interests. New tourist acquisition is the new hotel, part of Florjančkov hram complex. Unfortunately architecture of the new hotel isn't appropriate for this surrounding and represents improper case of urban architecture.
- By town bus (LPP) from other parts of Ljubljana. Lines 8, 6, 11, 14 connects Ježica with center of Ljubljana
- By bus from airport that stops on Ruski car station
- By train that goes from Ljubljana to Kamnik
You can easily walk around Ježica by foot. It is small village.
Bus station Ježica with old Italian border station on the left
- Ježica park – new park at the Sava river that has hiking, bicycle and horse trail, that goes from Ježica to Jarše. Park is still being made so it doesn't look perfect, but it is one big acquisition for this part of Ljubljana. There are fitness, sport playgrounds, horse riding trails, playgrounds for kids, picnic places and small zoo in Tomačevo.
Former German border station on Ježica
- Bord control houses of Italy-German border, who occupied Slovenia in second world war. They stand at the bus stop. German house is wooden and italian is build and will be demolished when new road is build.
- Štehvanje – old play, originated from Ziljska dolina or Gailltall in German. Valley in Austria, populated with autochthonous Slovene minority. It is Slovene custom. Its begginig in Ljubljana goes back to 1935, when etnomusicologist France Marolt presented this Zilja custum to folclore festival in Ljubljana. Young man from Kleče, Savlje, Ježica and Mala vas were inpressed and started to organise this game in Ljubljana. Since 1954 it is organised continiusly, sometimes in Kleče, Savlje or Ježica. Competition takes in June.
- Bunker I – on the right shore of the river Sava, buried near road, with shooting hole. Build by old Yugoslavian army in years 1939-1940.
- Bunker II – near railway bridge on the right shore of the river Sava. Build by old Yugoslavian army in years 1939-1940. It composites of living place and one flore is shooting part. It is the biggest of bunkers that protected the passage cros the river.
- Bunker III – on the right shore of the river Sava. Build by old Yugoslavian army in years 1939-1940.
- Črnuče bridge – in roman times old bridge stood close to the bridge that stands today. Parts of old bridge are stored in museum. After breakup of Roman empire, bridge was demolished by different tribes. Until the year 1724 people crossed the river with raft, when the new bridge was build. In 1846 newer bridge was build witch part of it is still seen next to Ježica driving school. In year 1891 raillway bridge was build and next to it new road bridge in 1906, which is base of todays bridge. In 1957 bridge was reconstructed and extended. Since then bridge went threw minor sanation repairs, until 2014 when it went threw bigger renovation.
Former restaurant Pri Alešu (Dunajska 254)
- House Dunajska 254 – Protected as Cultural Heritage. Ground floor house, bar in the past named pri Alešu (at Aleš), with simmetrical twoside roof and two dormers, build in 1850 carved into the stone portal.
- Gostilna Pri Ruskem carju - Protected as Cultural Heritage. One flore, walled residental and bar object, shaped as letter L. 1868 Year of build is Carved into the stone portal. Vaulting is preserved and also old building parts. In fact it stands in village called Mala vas, but because of its vicinity to Ježica is sometimes marked as part of Ježica. It's name means Russian tsar, named after Russian tsar Alexander I, that slept here after visiting the congress of Ljubljana which was the decided attempt of the Great Powers to settle international problems after the Napoleonic Wars.
- Churche of st. Cantianus and companions in Ježica – First mentioned in 1526. Demolished in 1798. New was build in 1802. Bigger renovations in (1938 - 1942), planed by V. Glanza. Reach interior (A. Vodnik, J. Šubic, S. Kregar).
- Bridge of river Sava branch – small bridge on Dunajska road, near restourant Florjančkov hram. Today it is irelevant. In the past water of river Sava branch floaded under it. Interesting just as display how high river Sava floaded in the past.
- Memorial plaque for Peasant uprising – Where Autocamp stands today, peasent uprising accured in 1515. 6000 peasents gathered and demanded wrights. Uprising ended badly and army represed it with force. Memorial plaque stands near swimingpool.
- Driving school – This building was tollhouse in the past. Bridge toll was colected for hundred of years on the road Vienna – Trst/Trieste. In the past building was much smaller, until the middle of the 19th century, when it got todays look. Tavčer probably renovated it when he became new owner in 1882.
River Sava between Gameljne and Ježica
- Sava river – could be nice part of Ježica, but enjoying this part is disturbed by poluted river shores, water and gathering people who are causing acts unpopular among the society. This goes for displaying sex organs, sexual harassment and sometimes criminal. Shores north from Črnuče bridge became known as gay beach and known for sex advantures.
- Laguna city beach - situated at the Ljubljana resort on Ježica. It was renovated in 2005, new hydromassage pools were build and renamed in Laguna Ljubljana city beach.
- Sava river trail – river was once main point for villagers to refresh and main attraction for families to go in weekends. Today poluted river doesnt represent big attraction for locals. Perverts that started to visit beaches in 90s, west from theČrnuče bridge, made this part of the river very unpopular for locals. Still nature looks quite beautiful , but disturbed with trashes lying there. Trail to the west goes to Tacen with world known venue for canoe and kayak slalom competition. Trail passes close to the house of Slovenian famous gypsy family called Strojans. East from the bridge, trail passes the new park Ježica, goes past the police horse station and hipodrom, to the villages of Tomačevo and Jarše. Best time to visit is spring and autumn. Hot summers make trail not attractive.
- Fishing is aloud in the river Sava, but you must buy tickets at ribiška družina straža, situated in Gameljne.
- Rašica trail – trail starts just over the bridge ,on the other side of the river. It leads to Rašica hill or Vrh Staneta Kosca (Stane Kosec peak). Trail is marked and passes the forests and hills under Rašica. East of the trail is Sračja dolina (Magpie valley), nature protected area . Threw the valley another trail goes from Črnuče to Rašica. Trails are 2h long. Best time to visit is spring and autumn. Hot summers make trail difficult and not attractive.
- You can find lot of stores south of Ježica at the block neighborhood. On Dunajska road the biggest grocery store is situated, called TUŠ. Near you can find grocery store Mercator on Bratovševa ploščad and grocery store Pod mostom on Glinškova ploščad, next to train station. One bakery shop can be found directly in the village of Ježica with the same name (Ježica) in the old house Dunajska 254.
No need to fear that you will be hungry here. Village has lot of gasthouses (gostilna in Slovene). They were very famous in the past, but that changed until today. Next to camp there is Stern restauration, close over the railway you can find gasthouse Pri Tavčarju, up the Ježa there is Florjančkov hram and even higher famous Ruski car. All this gasthouses have traditional Slovenian food. In block neighbourghood you can find pizzeria which is part of TUŠ complex.
Being thirsty in Ježica is science fiction. There is bar at the bar, throughout the Dunajska road. You can get drink at early mentioned restourants. Most popular is horse pub, close to Ruski car. Second popular is Svečka bar and then there are many others.
There are no clubs on Ježica. Few years ago Down town club was active, but it stoped working cause it was to loud for neighborhood. Horsepub is a popular pu, but not club realy.
Ljubljana Resort (formerly known as Avtokamp Ježica), Dunajska 270 (5 km north of the centre, take bus 6, 8 or 11), ☎ +386 (0)1 568 3913 ([email protected], fax: +386 (0)1 568 3912). Pleasant location near river Sava. You can pitch a tent or hire a bungalow. Swimming pool, sauna, fitness centre, badminton, volleyball, bowling, children's playground, restaurant, snack bar.
Hotel Florjančkov hram. Dunajska 238 (5 km north of the centre, take bus 6, 8 or 11), ☎ +386 (0)1 568 3859 ([email protected])
Ježica is quite safe place, but not as safe as other parts of Slovenia. Village is practicaly safe, some problems can occur in the night at block neighborhood and specialy at Sava river west from the bridge. This part of Sava beach is the most known part in Ljubljana, where perverts, nudists and gays gather. Incidents when people are sexualy offended here is quit common.
From Ježica there is an easy way to many attractions, town buses drive to center of Ljubljana. These are lines 6, 8, 11 and 14. The last one doesnt drive on Dunajska cesta but goes from Savlje and than drives on Slovenčeva. Wiith line 8 you can go to Šmarna gora, but you will drive cross the center and the ride is 50 minutes long. Walking to the center of Ljubljana is 1h long, and you must walk threw the Dunajska cesta, where you cant see many interesting things. On the other side of river Sava at the chinese resteurant you canfind hiking trail that goes on the hill called Vrh Staneta Kosca more known as Rašica. Trail is 2.00 h long and beautifull especialy in early spring. In summer when temperatures are over 30, thist trail is not recomended. On the both sides of river there is hiking, bicicyle and horse trail that goes to Tacen to the west and Tomačevo to the east.