Jönköping  is by many Swedes referred to as the Jerusalem of Sweden or The Pearl of the Lake - due to the town's location by the southern tip of Europe's sixth largest lake and the many churches representing numerous denominations and religions. Jönköping also has two smaller lakes in its city centre: Munksjön ('Monk's Lake') and Rocksjön ('Rock Lake'). Jönköping is Sweden's 9th largest municipality with about 132,000 inhabitants (2015).
The Tourist Information Office - recently renamed The Destination is now located at Passagen, Södra Strandgatan, 13 (http://destinationjonkoping.se/en.html)
Jönköping airport (JKG) is served by domestic flights to Stockholm.
The closest larger international airport is Gothenburg-Landvetter Airport (GOT) in Göteborg, host to most most major European airlines (Lufthansa, KLM, SAS, Brussels Airways, Finnair, Turkish Airlines, British Airways, Swiss, Air France, Czech Airlines, Wizzair, Ryanair and so on) currently offering 61 international and domestic destinations directly to and from Gothenburg-Landvetter Airport (https://www.swedavia.com/landvetter). This airport is most easily reached reached from Jönköping by regular Swebus coaches in 1 hour 45 min (http://www.swebus.se/SwebusExpress_com).
For intercontinental travellers, Arlanda Airport in Stockholm and Copenhagen Airport in Copenhagen are good alternatives. A frequent high-speed train (SJ Snabbtåg) runs from Stockholm to Copenhagen stopping at Nässjö (roughly 2,5 hours from both) from where local trains (Västtågen and Östgötapendeln) connect to Jönköping (35 min). The high-speed train stops at Copenhagen Airport. To or from Stockholm Arlanda Airport one must first arrive at the Central Train Station at Stockholm. For onward transport to the airport there are suburban trains (pendeltåg) every half hour from the central train station, reaching the airport in 35 minutes.
By train  from cities all over Sweden such as Malmö, for instance.
- Swebus, ☎ 0771-218 218, . is by far the largest domestic coach operator and operates services to / from Jönköping from throughout Sweden. Advance ticketing is usually required and recommended practice in any case. edit
- Bus4you, ☎ 0771-444 000, . operates services to / from Jönköping from some selected big cities in Sweden. edit
- Svenska Buss, ☎ 0771-67 67 67, . operates services to / from Jönköping from some selected cities in Sweden. edit
- Eurolines, ☎ +46 8 30 12 45, . edit
The city centre is relatively small and easy to walk around in. In general the city is very pedestrian and biker friendly. A good starting point for discovering Jönköping is its central station, Jönköping Resecentrum, where trains and buses to and from other cities depart and arrive. The station is connected with Juneporten, which is also where all the inner-city buses leave and depart. Bus tickets within the city cost 28 SEK within Zone 1 during peak and off-peak respectively. Young people and children usually get discounts. The last inner-city bus usually leaves around midnight on weekdays, so if you plan on traveling late be prepared to take a taxi which can be rather expensive. On weekends you may be able to catch a bus up until two in the morning, but check the schedules in advance on the regional traffic office homepage, Jönköpings Länstrafik .
- Tändsticksområdet is the area where the match production of Jönköping was held. This area has various cultural and handicraft shops, as well as the Match museum (Tändsticksmuseet) -50 sek entrance fee  - note to all trivia fans: Jönköping is the birthplace of the safety match. On this area you may also find the Radio museum Radiomuseét .
- Jönköpings läns museum  has a permanent exhibition on the early 20th century fantasy artist John Bauer, as well as various photo exhibitions and historical information.
The city also has a harbor pier on which you will find a fair number of bars and restaurants. The pier is very popular during the summer season.
- Rosenlunds rosarium is a park with hundreds of types of roses. Free entrance.
- Råslätt is considered to be the 'ghetto' of Jönköping. However, these days it is considered to be quite safe.
- Viktor Rydbergmuseet, Västra Storgatan 39, ☎ +46 36 16 45 82, . edit
- Fågelmuseet, Jönköpings Stadspark, open from May to August . Closed in winter . Wing walk there at March it was closed but the Outlook of the town was nice, ☎ +46 36 12 99 83, . edit
- Rosenlunds Badhus - Literally 'The bathhouse of Rosenlund', is a swimming hall where both adults and children can enjoy themselves. It is quite a big swimming hall with an 'adventure' section for the young ones, a diving room and also massages can be booked.
- DreamHack  is a LAN gaming event which takes place in the Elmia expohall, right next to the bathhouse of Rosenlund. It is the world's largest LAN party - last winter it had 12.782 attendees. It usually takes place two times a year in June and November. One can attend as both a visitor and by bringing their computer to the party.
- The beach. The beach of lake Vättern is one of Jönköping's prides. During summertime it is an excellent place to go swimming, playing volleyball or even attending a small (free) festival which is held there annually (usually in August) called 'Vätternfesten' .
Jönköping University  is Sweden's most international university if defining international by the ratio between Swedish and international students.The university has about 9000 registered students, studying for basic, advanced or research degrees in one of four schools focusing on business and economy, engineering and technology, health sciences or education and communication. The university campus is centrally located by one of the lesser lakes (Munksjön) easily accessible by walking from the Train or Bus Stations (about 10 minutes) or by local buses (No. 1, 3 and 28 stop by the campus).
It has a large shopping center to the east called A6 Center  that is a former military base. There is also an IKEA store and several electronic, computer store chains in this area.
The western part of the city (Västra Centrum) has more exclusive shopping, while the eastern part (Östra Centrum) has cheaper shops.
- Pizzeria Giannino. Is by some considered to be the best pizza in town. Get your fix for 50 SEK. edit
- Velvet Lounge , Västra Storgatan 4. Restaurant and bar with italian, asian, oriental, mexican and swedish food. Mains 106-202 SEK.
- Twin City Ristorante and Grill , Hamngatan 1. Classy place. Mains 105-225 SEK.
- Chili Thai Restaurant, Västra Storgatan 12. Mains 99-139 SEK.
- Den Småländska Kolonin, Kyrkogatan 4, ☎ +46 36 71 22 22, . Fine dining edit
- Sjön, Östra storgatan 173 (Jönköping), ☎ 036-332 05 50, . varies, consult webpage or restaurant. ,Fine dining, Run by Tommy Myllymäki. edit
- Studion MDGV, Södra Strandgatan 8, ☎ +46 36 71 41 19, . Run by Tommy Myllymäki. 165 - 285 SEK. edit
- Restaurant N.E.O., Södra Strandgatan 6, Jönköping, ☎ 036-290 25 77, . 11.00-00.00 on weekdays and 11.00-01.00 on weekends. Run by Tom Jallow, Kristina Jallow and Tommy Myllymäki . 55 - 350 SEK. edit
- Restaurant Spira, Kulturgatan 3, Jönköping, ☎ +46 36 32 80 40, . Tuesday to Saturday 11.00-23.00 and on Sunday and Monday 11.00-04.00 on weekends. Run by Tommy Myllymäki . Contact the restaurant. edit
- Bongo Bar  is where the more alternative people hang out. Not much of a dancing place, but great music and nice people. It is located at 'Tändsticksområdet'.
- Centrum  is one of Jönköping's clubs. The age of its attendees is fairly low. It is very likely to be the best place for dancing in Jönköping.
- A6 Vandrarhem & Hotell, Rekrytvägen 7 (near A6), ☎ +46 36 34 00 41, . From 175 SEK. edit
- Ibis Hotel, Strömsnäsgatan 3, ☎ +46 36 34 18 90, . 399 SEK. edit
- Hotell Formule 1 Jönköping, Huskvarnavägen 76 (near Elmia), ☎ +46 36 30 25 65, . 390 SEK. edit
- Lakeside Cottage, Långsbo 20, 571 97 Forserum, ☎ +46 31 360 77 35, . From 400 SEK. (57.7613870,14.562308) edit
- Best Western John Bauer Hotel, Södra Strandgatan 15 (near rail way station), ☎ +46 36 34 90 00, . 1,185 SEK. edit
- Clarion Collection Hotel Victoria, F E Elmgrens Gata 5 (near rail way station), ☎ +46 36 71 28 00, . 995 SEK. edit
- Comfort Hotel, Klostergatan 28, ☎ +46 36 10 08 00, . edit
- Elite Stora Hotellet, Hotellplan (near rail way station), ☎ +46 36 10 00 00, . 1,147 SEK. edit
- Familjen Ericssons City Hotel, Västra Storgatan 25 (near rail way station), ☎ +46 36 71 92 80, . 1,095 SEK. edit
- Grand Hotel, Hovrättstorget, ☎ +46 36 71 96 00, . 1,140 SEK. edit
- Hotel Savoy, Brunnsgatan 13-15, ☎ +46 36 17 32 90, . 975 SEK. edit
- Jönköpings Hotell och Konferens, Centralvägen (near A6), ☎ +46 36 17 18 00, . 755 SEK. edit
- Quality Hotel, Ryhovsgatan 3 (near A6), ☎ +46 36 18 36 00, . 897 SEK. edit
- Scandic Elmia, Elmiavägen 8 (near Elmia), ☎ +46 36 585 46 00, . 1,450 SEK. (57,787108,14,227745) edit
- Scandic Portalen, Barnarpsgatan 6 (near rail way station), ☎ +46 36 585 42 00, . 1,240 SEK. (57.783155,14.163094) edit
- Vox Hotel, Lantmätargränd 2 (near rail way station, town centre, pedestrian district), ☎ +46 (0) 36 770 00 00, . from 1,095 SEK to 2,495. (57.782890,14.174171) edit
- Pressbyrån, Barnarpsgatan 36. edit
- Habo Kyrka (Habo Church) lies several kilometers northwest of Jönköping, just off the road to Falköping. It's a small frame church whose interior is decorated with peasant folk art depicting biblical scenes.
- Gränna is the hometown of the peppermint rock candy. One can also take the boat from here to get to the island of "Visingsö".
- Taberg, interesting mountain just south of Jönköping. Called the miracle in Småland by Carl von Linné.
- Visingsö is an island located in lake Vättern, not far from Jönköping. It has a total area of 24 km² and its sights include its herb garden, the old castle ruins and going on a tour through the island by horse buggy. One gets out to the island by first getting to the town of Gränna to which one can take the local bus. After that you leave from Gränna on a boat which departs for Visingsö every hour or so.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!