Izhevsk (Russian: Иже́вск ee-ZHEHFSK) is the capital and principal city of Udmurtia.
Very few tourists make it to Izhevsk, but is an interesting destination for anyone interested in the Udmurt culture or the AK-47 Kalashnikov, which was manufactured in Izhevsk. It is an industrial city but it is worth a visit to watch Udmurt folk dances, eat exotic foods, and meet locals that don't often see foreigners.
Izhevsk has 630,000 residents. Due to its arms manufacturing industry, Izhevsk was a closed city to all foreigners until after the collapse of the Soviet Union. It is also one of the least religious cities in Russia, with over half of the population identifying as "spiritual but not religious" or atheist.
Izhevsk Airport, (IATA: IJK) is 15km east of the city centre. The airport serves small airliners, which operate flights to/from Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Samara, and Ufa.
Russian Railways operates trains to major cities in Russia; search for "Ijevsk" on its website. Trains are available to/from Moscow (daily, 17 hours; from RUB3,600), Yekaterinburg (11 hours, From RUB900), Kazan (5 hours, from RUB900), and Perm Station 2 (8 hours, from RUB1,100).
The Trans-Siberian Railway stops at Glazov, from where you can take a regional train (4 hours, RUB900) or bus to Izhevsk.
The train station in Izhevsk is in the far west of the city. From there, it is best to take a taxi to the city centre.
Izhevsk has trams, buses, minibuses, trolleybuses, and taxis.
Saint Mikhailov Cathedral
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Trinity Cemetery Church
- Kalashnikov Museum
- Udmurtia State Circus
- Esplanade and Izhevsk Lake Embankment
- The People's Friendship Monument
- The Square of the 50th Anniversary of the October Revolution, including The Arsenal, a neoclassical building, which houses the Museum of Local Lore
- Izhmash Museum — exhibits featuring all sorts of locally produced armaments to motorcycles
- Izhevsk Zoo
- Go see the popular local ice hockey team, HC Izhstal.
- Brauplatz, Ulitsa Borodina 25, ☎ +7 341 293-00-93, . Restaurant & brewery. edit
- Gorkiy Sad, Maksima Gorkogo 72, ☎ +7 341 278-70-80, . Nice presentation, with white tablecloths. edit
- Gorod, Karla Marksa 177, ☎ +7 341 251-05-25, . English menus and a French countryside ambiance. edit
- Hot Pelmen (Горячий пельмень), Kommunarov 230, ☎ +7 341 224-46-65, . Authentic pelmeni made from scratch. Popular with locals. edit
- Okhotnichiy Rai, Maiskaya 35A, ☎ +7 341 261-27-00, . Unusual menu - wild boar, elk. Ambiance of a hunter's lodge. edit
- Svet, Svobody 173, ☎ +7 341 297-01-73, . Popular with young people. Face control. edit
- Deryabin, Krasnogeroyskaya 107, ☎ +7 341 233-00-03, . Has a billiards room and sauna. From RUB1,600. edit
- Okolitsa, 23a Zhivsovhoz Izhevsk, ☎ +7 3412 710183, . Hotel with a sauna. From RUB1,800. edit
- Park Inn by Radisson Izhevsk Hotel, 25 Borodina, ☎ +7 341 293-00-10, . The nicest hotel in the city. From RUB4,320. edit
- Telekom, 36 Dzerzhinskogo, ☎ +7 341 244-52-08, . Has a gym, swimming pool, and games room. From RUB1,950. edit