Ittoqqortoormiit and the surrounding fjord in the summer.
Ittoqqortoormiit is in Eastern Greenland and is internationally known as Scoresby Sound.
Ittoqqortoormiit is a very remote city in Eastern Greenland. The population of the town is about 500 and the smaller settlements around the town have been abandoned. The sea is frozen over for nine months out of the year. The town is also located on the longest and largest fjord system in the world, making the landscapes stunning.
There is no airport in Ittoqqortoormiit. To get in by air one first needs to travel to Nerlerit Inaat airport (CNP) and get a transfer to Ittoqqortoormiit Heliport (OBY), this can be booked via Air Greenland who run this as a scheduled service.
Air Iceland Connect runs a seasonal service from Akureyri, Iceland to Nerlerit Inaat
Air Iceland runs a seasonal service from Reykjavik airport, Iceland.
During the summer there are generally two weekly flights, in the winter there is only one flight per week. There are also several cruise ships that stop in Ittoqqortoormiit during the summer months when the sea is not frozen over.
In the winter, the best way to get around the town is on dogsleds, skis or snowmobiles. In the summer most locals use boats to get around, it is pretty easy for tourists to get around this way as well.
The only way to see Scoresby Sund is by boat as there are no roads in this very remote area. The fjord system is the largest in the world and is of breathtaking beauty. The area is untouched and is home to some of the world's largest icebergs.
Due to the remote nature and the sea ice conditions, only a handful of private yachts make it here every year. Secret Atlas is one of the few operators that offer week-long sailing expeditions and photography tours departing from Ittoqqortoormiit. The price is expensive but well worth it.
Ittoqqortoormiit's colorful houses in the summer.
- Ittoqqortoormiit Museum, P.O. Box 505, 3980 Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 99 10 55, . The Ittoqqortoormiit Museum is relatively small, but it houses many historical photos, paintings and costumes from the area. The building the museum is housed in has also served many functions for the town over the years, adding to its character. The museum is managed by the towns school, it can be opened on request. Free. edit
- The Midnight Sun in Ittoqqortoormiit lasts from May 17th to July 28th, it is a truly amazing experience to witness the sun above the horizon at midnight.
- It is possible to see the Northern Lights in Ittoqqortoormiit; the best viewing places are slightly away from the city, away from artificial light.
- Trophy hunting for muskoxen, reindeer and seal are available. The best way to organize an excursion is with the local tourist office. Usually there is an agreement with the hunter for the him to keep the meat, but tourist still receive the pelt, cranium and pictures.
- Ittoqqortoormiit serves as the gateway to the National Park, and tourists can organize long journeys into the wilderness. The dog sledding season in Ittoqqortoormiit last until June and trips across the sea ice or the snowy terrain are available.
- The ski season in Ittoqqortoormiit is relatively long, from January to June, and there are several good mountains and glaciers with fantastic downhill runs for expert skiers. It is also possible to cross-country ski near the town.
- There is a local pub in town, located just next to the hospital. It is open only on Friday's from 10pm-3am.
- Ittoqqortoormiit Guesthouse, B320, P.O. Box 29, 3980 Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 99 12 80 ([email protected]), . Small cozy house for rent, with either 1 or 2 bedrooms. Tours and cultural visits can be arranged for guests. Single: DKK500, Double: DKK 650. edit