Inis Meáin, one of the Aran Islands in County Galway, West Ireland, is well named. It is the middle island of the three, and has a size and population also almost exactly halfway between that of the other two islands.
The island is 5km by 3km and has a population of approximately 170. These people mostly live along a three kilometer stretch of road that traverses the centre of the island east to west. The island is an Irish-speaking area, but most inhabitants can speak English, if they feel like speaking to tourists (which they may not).
Inis Meain is highly accessible from the sea, via the harbour on the north side of the island.
Ferries run regularly between here and rosaveal, and sail 364 days a year except in the most extreme adverse weather conditions.
- Information, Inishmaan, . Do get a list of things to see on inishmaan edit
- Ostan Inis Meain (Hotel Inis Meain), Lisheen Village, lnis Meain, The Aran lslands Co Galway (When you disembark from the boat you will see to your left a large pink building this is the hotel. Come out of the airport and turn left we are 100 yards up the road), ☎ +353 99 73020, . From breakfast to closing time. The nearest place for food and accommodation to both the port and the airport. Come and enjoy our hospitality, and look out of the window at the panoramic views of Galway Bay. edit
- Cafe Baile, Carrownlisheen, Co. Galway. Cafe edit
- Teach Ósta, Carrownlisheen, Co. Galway, ☎ +353 997 3003. Pub edit
There are B&Bs; alternately, knock on a door and ask if you can pay to pitch a tent in their field.
- An Dun Guest House & Restaurant, Inis Meáin Middle Island, Aran Islands, Co. Galway (Opposite the big stone fort just beyond the church), ☎ +353 (0) 87 680 6251 ([email protected]mail.com), . B&B Great place, spotless, with very friendly hosts, also does a great dinner in the evening if you tell them before mid-afternoon. edit
- Creig Mór, Creigmore, Inismaan, Aran Islands, Co. Galway, ☎ (099) 73012 086 608 4584, . B&B edit
- Tig Congaile, Moore Village, Inis Meain (near by island beaches and local Teach Tabhairne and one of the islands Megalithic fort, approx 25mins from pier on foot)), ☎ +353 872 035 171, . checkin: 11; checkout: 12. Bed and Breakfast and Restaurant. We boast scenic views looking out to the cliffs of Moher,and Inis Oirr. The B&B offers a comfortable and welcoming stay with all en-suite rooms. Enjoy the food prepared by renowned cook Vilma a Guatemalan lady, who avails of the islands local produce to create her dishes, all in the tranquil setting of this unique island getaway. edit