Index is a water rafting destination near Seattle.
Index is one of the more popular water rafting destinations that is within driving distance of Seattle. It features the wild, untamed waters of the Skykomish River.
Index is 37 miles east of Everett along US-2. From Seattle and Bellevue, the most direct way is to take SR-522 north to Monroe, where it ends at US-2. Continue east on US-2 for 22 miles.
Skykomish is very small. Park the car and take your camera. It takes approximately 15 min to walk from one side to the other on foot.
In the playground there is a giant sawblade used to cut granite
- Statue - Bigfoot Holding a Raccoon: Just east of Index on US-2, there is a statue that marks spot where "Harry and the Hendersons" was filmed in 1986 (Harry was a Bigfoot). Adjacent coffee shop sells Bigfoot hair and Bigfoot-shaped cookies.
- White Water River Rafting - Outdoor Adventure Center, 444 Ave A, Index, WA 98256, ☎ 425-883-9039, . River Rafting or Kayaking - 9 miles of Class III-V whitewater action (47.8198936,-121.5544275) edit
- Rock Climbing: Enjoy a day out at one of the top ten crags in America! Index Town Walls are home to the best steep granite crack climbing anywhere in the NW.
- Hiking - Heywood Lookout, Trailhead: 52322 US Hwy2 Sultan, WA 98294, . Heybrook Lookout is a short and moderately steep hike through a fern and moss covered forest to a fun, staircase-ridden lookout with great views of the nearby mountains. If you are introducing someone to hiking, limited on time, or trying to add on another hike or activity in the area, this is the hike for you. FREE. (47.8084,-121.5352) edit
- Waterfall - Eagle Falls. edit
- Waterfall - Sunset Falls. edit
- Waterfall - Bridle Veil Falls, . edit
- Drive - Jack's Pass, . Mountain road that goes rom Index to Skykomish over Jack's pass. Normally open during the summer. It's currently closed due to flood damage. edit
- Drive - Reiter Road. A scenic backroad (a piece of old Hwy2) from Index to Goldbar. edit
- River House 444 Ave A, Index, WA 98256 outdooradventurecenter.com (425) 883-9039
- Index General Store & Post Office 500 Avenue A, Index, WA 98256 (360) 793-0693
- Espresso Chalet, 50000 SR2 Index, WA 98256 (US Hwy 2 at milepost 36 on the south side. About a mile east of Index and Index-Galena Rd.), ☎ 360-793-7932, . A tiny little expresso stand that's been here since 1991. It features a 14 ft tall wooden carving of Harry Henderson from the movie “Harry and the Hendersons. they have loads of big foot souvenirs.” FREE. edit
- The Bush House, Hotel, . A historic hotel, established in 1898. Closed for re-modeling edit
- Rosehill, Bed and Breakfast. edit
- Hilltop Hideaway, Vacation Rental. edit
- Wild Sky Escape, Vacation Rental. edit
- Moose Mountain Heaven, Vacation Rental. edit
- A Riverside Retreat, 207 Ave A, Index, WA 98256, ☎ (206) 429-5210, . A vacation rental cabin located in Index Washington on the Skykomish River. It features a full kitchen and Wi-Fi. edit
If you are traveling West, don't miss a hike to see Wallace Falls State Park, two miles northeast of Goldbar. And, if you are headed East, don't miss seeing the small town of Skykomish.