Howick is in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
On the N3 150km from Durban take any of the 3 marked exits.
The easiest N3 exit into Howick is the "Tweedie/Howick" exit - the furthest one from Durban, first one from further inland - as the road in has no "speed bumps". The other two exits lead into Howick over several of these which could be detrimental to low-slung cars!
- Howick falls. A 94 meter high waterfall in the Umgeni river. The falls and surrounding area is a National monument and there is a 2 hour hiking trail (Gorge Walk) to the pools at the base of the falls. edit
- Mandela Monument, (Follow the R103 towards Lions River for about 10km). A commemorative plinth marking the place where Nelson Mandela was arrested on August 5, 1962, leading to his conviction and longterm prison sentence, before becoming president of South Africa edit
- The Howick museum. Interesting but small. edit
- Umgeni Valley Nature Reserve, 1 Karkloof Road, ☎ +27 (0)33 330-3931 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)33 330-4576), . Open 8AM to 4:30PM. 700 hectares situated in the valley immediately below the Howick falls with eland, giraffe, impala, nyala, oribi, reedbuck, wildebees and zebra. edit
- Howick Falls, ☎ Howick Tourism +27 (0)33-330-5305, . edit
- Midmar dam, (opposite side of the N3 highway about 7km from Howick). Excellent watersport, fishing, camping and a game reserve. edit
- Midmar Nature Reserve, ☎ +27 (0)33 330-2067 (fax: +27 (0)33 330-5868), . Open 8AM to 4:30PM daily for day visitors (). Many antelope species including blesbok, reedbuck, hartebees, wildebees and zebra. Also some white rhino. edit
- Henley Midmar Yacht Club, ☎ +27 (0)76 469-0857 ([email protected]), . edit
- Enduro Motorcycle Tours, . Motorcycle Tours – Guided enduro , off-road and dirt bike tours , day rides and trainings. Enduro bike rental or bring your own bike and experience some of the rural parts of the region. Man , machine and nature = adventure. edit
Crafts, including handwoven carpets.
Check out the Visitors Book in the shops though as there are good comments here relating to pricing
- The Original Pancake Cafe, 2 Fallsview Road, ☎ +27 (0)33 330-6377 ([email protected]). Open 9am to 4:30pm daily. Closed on Tuesdays. The pancake shop is recommended! edit
- Fred's Pies, (On the main road from the Tweedie turn-off from the N3 at the Greendale centre), ☎ +27 (0)33 330-4768 ([email protected]). Serves excellent pies and some of the best fish and chips in SA. edit
- Red Tap Pub, 5 Harvard St, ☎ +27 (0)33 330-8045. Serves excellent, and reasonably prices, English style pub grub. edit
- Afton Restaurant, cnr Somme and Belle street, ☎ +27 (0)33 330-5256 ([email protected]), . For something more special, full menu meals and set-price specials. edit
- Stocklands Farm Bed and Breakfast, ☎ +27 (0)33 330-5225 ([email protected]). A 150 year-old stone house with original yellowwood ceilings and doors offers accommodation to travellers from all over the world. edit
- The Lodge @ Currys Post, ☎ +27(0)33 330 6802, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 10AM. Central to the Midlands Meander, the 40-hectare farm is a-top a hill, surrounded by pine and gum plantations, as well as natural forests, with sweeping 180-degree views of the Karkloof mountains. Homemade biscuits, chocolates and fresh flowers add a special touch in each room. Family run business. edit