Heraclea Minoa is a small village on the south coast of Sicily, Italy, named after its Greek ruins.
Its two names are mythical origin. The first one related with Heracles, who obtained the right to this area of Sicily. Another one related with Minos, king of Crete, having come to Sicily and landing at the mouth of the river Halycus founded there a city Minoa. So, now there stands Heraclea Minoa.
- Palermo Airport, ((130 km)), ☎ +39 091 702 0273 ([email protected]), . Luggage service Alitalia (tel. +39 091 702 0208) passengers and the other for all other passengers (tel. +39 091 702 0209) edit
- Catania Airport, ((200 km)), ☎ Luggage Support +39 095 723 9630 ([email protected]), . edit
- Trapani Airport, ((125 km)), ☎ +39 092 361 0111 ([email protected]), . edit
Eraclea Minoa. Cala Bianca cliff
The nearest train station is in Agrigento. Travel with the changes from Palermo takes about 3 hours on the way.
Travel from Catania by bus with the changes takes about 4 hours on the way. Bus service around all Italy .
Buses do not go directly to Eraclea Minoa, but they will stop and pick up from the road junction on the main SS115, about 4km away. From here you will have to walk (or hitch a lift). It can get very hot in summer. On the way back, you are more likely to be able to find someone to give you a lift to the road junction, or even further afield.
From the SS115 road junction there are frequent buses from and to Sciacca and Agrigento.
The village is situated at the sea meeting the conspicuous promontory of the sheer white cliffs of Capo Bianco with the gently sloping by sides down to the Platani river valley. To the south east from the village prolongate nice unpolluted sandy beaches.
- Antiquarium di Eraclea Minoa, Via Esculapio, 92011 Eraclea Minoa . On display is nice collection of pieces of pottery, ceramics, architectural fragments found from the nearby Greek villages.
- Archaeological Area of Eraclea Minoa, Contrada Minoa, 92011 Cattolica Eraclea. The archaeological site locates the ruins of the ancient city during the hellenistic period. It is possible to admire the Greek Theatre and the excavations of the ancient city.
- Capo Bianco. Heraclea Minoa hardly can be imagined without this white Capo Bianco cliff and the sandy beach laying next to it.
- Nature Reserve at the Mouth Of The Platani River (Foce Del Fiume Platani), Ribera. The river Platani represents an excellent corridor for the resting and nesting of many species of birds during the migration.
- Torre Salsa Nature Reserve (Riserva Naturale Orientata Torre Salsa), SP75, 92010 Siculiana. . The Oasis is open to the public all year round, access is free. For guided tours it is advisable to make an appointment at the Reserve office.
- Beaches. There are many beaches around Eraclea Minoa along the coast as Capo Bianco Beach, Lido Bellevue or Garibaldi, also Spiaggia di Bovo Marina, which feature by an unspoilt nature, dropping down to the clear blue sea framed by white cliffs and sandy coastline with dunes. About 5 km coastline is backed by a thick pine wood nature. edit
- Forest. At the Capo Bianco Beach is situated the deciduous trees forest, enough small, but wonderful place for the refreshable area under the tree crowns. edit
- Don Pablo, Bovo Marina, 92010 Montallegro, ☎ +39 333 343 9648. Restaurant edit
- Locanda Perbellini al mare, Bovo Marina, 92010 Montallegro, ☎ +39 347 922 1759, . Restaurant edit
- Spiaggia Pubblica, Bovo Marina, 92010 Montallegro, ☎ +39 324 664 5695. Bar edit
- Eraclea Minoa Village S R L, Viale Eracle, 58, 92011 Eraclea Minoa, ☎ +39 092 229 101. Hotel edit
- Eraclea Minoa Village, Viale Eracle, 39, 92011 Eraclea Minoa. Campsite edit
- L'Eden di Capo Bianco, SP87, 92010 Montallegro, ☎ +39 349 342 2544 ([email protected]), . B&B edit
- Luna Minoica, Bovo Marina, 92010 Montallegro, ☎ +39 092 2155 3712 ([email protected]), . B&B edit
- Palma, C.da Bovo Marina, Bovo Marina, 92010 Montallegro, ☎ +39 338 990 8062. Holiday Villa edit
- Vistamare, Unnamed Road, Bovo Marina, 92010 Montallegro, ☎ +39 333 746 4169, . Holiday Villa ("37°22'56.8"N","13°18'42.1"E") edit
- Vizzì, SP87, 92010 Montallegro, ☎ +39 338 335 3203. House edit