Heerlen is a city in Limburg in the south east of the Netherlands. The old name of the city in ancient times was Coriovallum. From ancient times it was a Roman hub. From around 1900 the mining industry expanded the city rapidly. In 1976 the last coalmine closed and plunged Heerlen into a deep crisis. Since the last few years Heerlen is recovering, which is named 'cultural spring'. Currently Heerlen has become a part of a new larger project city called Parkstad Limburg. Working together with cities: Brunssum, Kerkrade, Landgraaf, Onderbanken, Nuth, Simpelveld en Voerendaal on operational level. In 2016 the Parkstad region has won the 'Best travel destination in the World Award' from the World Travel and Tourism Council.
Eventhough there have been traces of earlier civilazation the real history of this town starts in the roman era. These erected 2000 years ago a military settlement who they gave the name Coriovallum. This settlement came because of the crossroads from Boulonge-Köln and Xanten-Aachen-Trier.
| Daily highs (°C)
| Nightly lows (°C)
| Precipitation (mm)
Climate in Heerlen
The main train station is situated in the center of the city. Three other trainstations in Heerlen are Heerlen de Kissel, Heerlen Woonboulevard (Opening 2010) and Hoensbroek. Since 2019, hourly trains operated by Arriva are running from Aachen Hbf to Heerlen (and then on to Maastricht), and take just under 30 mins and cost ca. 6 euros. Trains from Maastricht to Heerlen also run once an hour (also 30 mins and 6 euros). The trainstation in Heerlen is going to get a renovated starting in 2010 adding more travel options when completed (second part of the Maankwartier build). Also this will be a shoppingmall when ariving in this new station when completed with eating and drinking possibilities.
The bus terminal is close to the back exit of the trainstation. The bus operator in Heerlen and surrounding cities is Veolia. There is one international busline from Aachen to Heerlen.[needs details]
As of 2020, the 44 bus runs between Aachen and Heerlen, with the main station as its final destination. The journey takes about 55 mins and costs just over 6 euros. Dutch OV cards can be used here.
Heerlen is situated along the A76 highway but get on the N281 if traveling south or north because there is no exit to Heerlen on the A76. You can find taxies waiting on the upper level when exiting at front of the trainstation. From Aachen by car you will have to take the N281. From Maastricht take the A79 to Heerlen. At the end of the A79 is Heerlen. You can also use the inner ring of parkstad to get to Heerlen.
Maastricht-Aachen airport is 10 miles away from the city center of Heerlen. Albeit it is more convenient to fly to Eindhoven airport and take a bus and train to Heerlen, because of the low number or flights arriving and departing from Maastricht-Aachen airport. For international flights it is better to arrive and depart from Brussels(BE), Amsterdam(Schiphol, NL) or Dusseldorf(DE). Each of these airports are about 2-3 hours away from Heerlen by car.
If you are in Heerlen center, everything could be done on foot. A car is convenient to explore the outskirts of town and attractions in the broader area, but take into account that the city center is car-free and parking there is expensive. Another possibility is to discover Heerlen by bike. There are some interesting parks and locations to reach by bike. Using the extensive bus routes can take you to everything in the city that is bit further away from the center.
Old and new architecture in the city centre
Romans in Heerlen
- Thermenmuseum, Coriovallumstraat 9, 6411 CA Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0) 45 560 5100, . Tuesday - Friday open from 10.00 till 17.00 uur Saturday and Sunday and holidays open from 12.00 till 17.00 uur. A famous museum of a Roman bathhouse. € 6,50. edit
Mining in Heerlen
- Dutch Mine Museum, Mijnmuseumpad 2, 6412 EX Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 571 37 07, . 11.00-16.00. 4 Euro. edit
Peutz architecture in Heerlen
- Broederschool, Kerkraderweg 7, Heerlen. A primary school build by Peutz in 1921. Free. edit
- House 'Op de Linde', Oude Lindestraat 1, Heerlen. Puetz' studio near the city center of Heerlen build in 1931. Free. edit
- ULO School', Laan van Hövell tot Westerflier 23, Heerlen. A school build by Peutz in 1931. Free. edit
- Monseigneur Laurentius Schrijnenhuis' (Retreat House), Oliemolenstraat 60, Heerlen. Retreat house build by Peutz in 1932. Free. edit
- Glaspaleis (Schunck building), Bongerd 18, 6411 JM Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 577 22 00, . Department store build by Puetz in 1933. Peutz' most iconic building. Free. edit
- Royal Theater, Stationsplein 3-5, Heerlen. Cinema build by Peutz in 1937. Free. edit
- Town Hall, Raadhuisplein, Heerlen. Town Hall build by Peutz between 1936 and 1942. Free. edit
- Annachurch', Bekkerveld, Heerlen. Church build by Peutz in 1953. Free. edit
- Parkstad Theater (Theater Heerlen), Burgemeester van Grunsvenplein 145, 6411 AS Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 576 85 76, . Theater build by Peutz in 1959. edit
- Pancratius Square (Pancratiusplein), Pancratiusplein, Heerlen. Central square in Heerlen near the church and the 'Glaspaleis' with many bars. Free. edit
- Wilhelmina Square (Wilhelminaplein), Wilhelminaplein, Heerlen. Small square in Heerlen with some restaurants and a hotel. Part of the '5 squares'. Free. edit
- Beta Square (Betaplein), Wilhelminaplein 25, Heerlen. Small square in front of the former music school. The building is now a hub for architects and other building related offices and a coffeehouse. Part of the '5 squares'. Free. edit
- Schelmenhofje, Pancratiusstraat, Heerlen. Small square in the Pancratiusstraat. In the corner you see the medieval Schelmentower and on the wall a mural by Brazilian artists 'Os Gemeos'. Part of the '5 squares'. Free. edit
- Morenhoek, Morenhoek, Heerlen. Small square between Pancratiusstraat and Plaarstraat. You will find a 'Social Sofa' and a mural by Collin van der Sluys. Part of the '5 squares'. Free. edit
- Luciushof, Putgraaf, Heerlen. This small square cannot be reached from public road. To reach the square, you must go through the former monastry on the Putgraaf. Part of the '5 squares'. Free. edit
- Tempsplein, Tempsplein, Heerlen. According to many people the most beautiful square in Heerlen. You will find benches, flowers, Amsterdam school style of architecture and a statue of Jesus Christ. Free. edit
- Burgemeester de Hesselleplein, Burgemeester de Hesselleplein, Heerlen. If the Tempsplein is not the most beautiful square in Heerlen, then it will be this square. You will find benches, a playground and the former technical school building. Free. edit
- Burgemeester van Grunsvenplein, Burgemeester van Grunsvenplein, Heerlen. Square in front of the theater. Most boring square in Heerlen according to many. Free. edit
- Bekkerveld, Bekkerveld, Heerlen. Large square with the Anna Church and the former crafts school. Host of Parkcity live festival. Free. edit
- Maanplein, Maanplein, Heerlen. Latest addition to the city as part of Michel Huismans Maankwartier. Free. edit
Parks, Forests and Rural areas
- Terworm, Terworm 5, Heerlen. Situated between Heerlen and Voerendaal you will find Terworm Castle and its park. Free. edit
- Aambos. Situated between the city centre and residential district 'Molenberg' you will find a small slope forest named 'Aambos'. Free. edit
- Benzenrade, Benzenrade. See the source of the 'Geleenbeek' stream in Heerlen and also seeing some of the farms in this rural village very close to the city. And also see some splendid black horses for which this village is famous for. You can also sit and enjoy the scenery acompanied by a drink and something to eat from "het koffiehuisje" in benzenrade. Free. edit
- Imstenraderbos. Situated between Benzenrade and residential district 'Heerlerbaan' you will find a slope forest named 'Imstenraderbos'. Walk from La Diligence to Benzenrade and back and enjoy the views over Heerlen. Free. edit
- Weltervijver, Welterkerkstraat, Heerlen. Situated between residential districts 'Welten' and 'Aarveld' you will find a park with a big pond and an old watermill. Free. edit
- Schrieversheide and Brunssummerheide, Schaapskooiweg, Heerlen. A big moorland between Heerlen, Landgraaf and Brunssum. Ideal for hiking, running, horseback riding, mountainbiking and other outdoor activities. Free. edit
- Heerlen Murals, . You can buy a map with descriptions of all Murals at 100% Heerlen store, Geleenstraat 74, Heerlen. Free. edit
- Maankwartier, Maanplein, Heerlen, . The Roman heritage of the city inspired local artist Michel Huisman in the design of this train station, appartments, offices and shops. Free. edit
- Castle Hoensbroek, Klinkertstraat 118, 6433 PB Hoensbroek, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 522 72 72, . € 8,-. edit
- Climbing at Neoliet, Stadionbaan 52, 6416 CS Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 542 43 58, . The indoor climbing wall is a great expierence to have. Climbing up indoor to the top of the building and continue climbing on the roof. edit
- Bowling at Partyhoeve De Aar, Welterlaan 45, 6419 CN Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0) 45 571 44 32, . Play a game of bowling in hoeve de aar. edit
- Bowling at Bowlo, Roda JC Ring 2e, Kerkrade, ☎ +31 (0) 45 4 100 100, . Bowling edit
- Indoor skiing at Snowworld, Witte Wereld 1, 6372 VG Landgraaf, ☎ +31 (0) 45 54 70 700, . Biggest indoor ski and snowboard centre in the world. edit
- Mountainbiking, Schaapskooiweg 99, 6414 EL Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 563 0355, . Over 70 kilometers and 1.000 altimeters of MTB tracks split in 4 linked trails. You can start at Brunssummerheide visitor center, Schaapskooiweg 99, Heerlen or at Sportpark Strijthagen, Hofstraat 5, Landgraaf. edit
- Cycling, . Heerlen is perfect to discover by bike. The local tourist board has some routes to choose from. edit
- Cycling: Race, . Heerlen is close to the Amstel Gold Race track. You can get on loop 1 on the crossing Heerlerweg/Valkenburgerweg/Hogeweg/Bergseweg in Voerendaal. edit
- Terworm. Take a walk between Heerlen en Voerendaal and see some of the great nature in Heerlen. In this park there are also some architectural buildings situated at the egde. On the northside of the park you can find a lot of school and sportfields. In the center of this lush area you can see the water purifying station. edit
- Beautiful Benzenrade and Imstenraderbos. See a source of a stream in Heerlen and also seeing some of the farms in this old village. And also see some splendid black horses for which this village is famous for. You can also sit and enjoy the scenery acompanied by a drink and something to eat from "het koffiehuisje" in benzenrade. edit
- Schrieversheide and Brunssummerheide, Schaapskooiweg 99, 6414 EL Heerlen, ☎ +31 45 563 0355. Enjoy a walk in the moorlands of Brunssummerheide and Schrieversheide. edit
- Kunderberg, Mergelsweg, Heerlen. From the Mergelsweg in Welten you can cross the highway and discover the marl stones of which also the Pancratiuskerk in the city center is build. Enjoy the view over Heerlen! edit
Indoor playgrounds for kids
- Kinderstad, Parallelweg 4, 6411 ND Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0) 45 57 17 252, . 10.00 - 18.00. An indoor playground for kids, with trampolines, slides, bumper cars, logflume, climbingfort and a rollercoaster. 9 Euro. edit
- Avonturenland, Zandweg 179, 6419 PK Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0) 45 541 9596, . 10.00 - 19.00. 6 Euro. edit
Zoos and themeparks
- Gaia Zoo, Dentchenbachweg 105, 6468 PG Kerkrade, ☎ +31 (0) 45 567 6070, . 10.00 - 17.00. 19,50 Euro. edit
- Mondo Verde, Groene Wereld 10, 6372 PW Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0) 45 535 0161, . 10.00 - 18.00. 18,50 Euro. edit
Het Loon - Historically old shoppingmall opened in 1965
There are two known shopping locations in Heerlen. The center of the city and the Woonboulevard. The Woonboulvard is famous for its living and lifestyle shops. It is the biggest Furniture strip of Europe.
- Woonboulevard, In de cramer. This is the mayor living and lifestyle shopping center. Which is the biggest furniture strip of Europe. You can buy anything from lamps to beds. edit
- Heerlen Center. This is the shopping district within the old city center. A lot of small and big retail stores as bars, cafes and restaurants can be found here. edit
- Car Boulevard. This is close to the woonboulevard. All mayor car brands are situated here. edit
- Hoensbroek Center. This part of Heerlen is to the north of the city and can be reached by bus. There is also a train going to Hoensbroek but this is not recommended if just wanting to go to the shopping center of Hoensbroek. Ask for direction at the Veolia ticket counter in the trainstation. edit
- Karnevalswierts, Homerusplein 11, 6411 AW Heerlen (In shoppingmall Het Loon), ☎ +31 (0)45 - 564 55 93, . A very large store dedicated to party costumes and carneval costumes aswell as some other festive seasonal occasions. edit
- Mr Wok, Bongerd 7, 6411 JM Heerlen, ☎ 0031 (0)45 - 571 01 56, . A small restaurant but very good take-away food. Especially the sauces. € 5-20. edit
- Rhodos, Dautzenbergstraat 17, 6411 LA Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 571 95 44, . open at 16.30 till 23.00. closed on: tuesdays. Greek Restaurant ± € 20,-. edit
- Dafne, Oranje Nassaustraat 2, 6411 LG Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 404 07 40. Another fine Greek Restaurant in the centre of Heerlen. A regular haunt for the devil cleaner!! edit
- Auberge de Rousch, Kloosterkensweg 17, 6419 PJ Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 571 58 90, . A very luxious restaurant. Check the website for special events. Making a reservation upfront is highly recommended. edit
- El Greco, Pancratiusplein 39, 6411 JZ Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 574 20 96, . Greek food. edit
- Misato, Pancratiusplein 37-36, 6411 JZ Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 571 22 28. Sushi edit
- Il Castello, Geleenstraat 18, 6411 HS Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 574 27 99, . Italian edit
- Brasserie Bracke, Saroleastraat 52, 6411 LV Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 574 36 86, . Nice restaurant with variety of food. Very crowded. Check their site for opening hours edit
- de Ontmoeting, Wilhelminaplein 17, 6411 KW Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 574 00 30, . Tapas edit
- Mijnstreek, Bongerd 18, 6411 JM Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 577 22 88, . On top of the Schunck-building and a nice view over the city. edit
- Madame van Dam, Gasthuisstraat 11, 6411 KD Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 750 46 71, . Small, unique restaurant with a nice, small menu, which changes now and then. edit
- Sushi Vandaag, Oude veemarktstraat 1, 6411 JW Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 571 63 00, . Sushi! edit
- Taverne Samos, Willemstraat 5, 6411 KX Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 571 27 95. Greek food. edit
On the pancratiusplein people can find the many cafes and terrasses who are usually filled with people troughout the year.
- Amrâth Grand Hotel Heerlen, Groene Boord 23, 6411 GE Heerlen, ☎ +31 45 5 713 846, . A good class hotel for staying in Heerlen. edit
- Tulip Inn Heerlen City, Wilhelminaplein 17, 6411 KW Heerlen. Good location right in the center of the city. edit
- Bastion Hotel Heerlen, In de Cramer 199, 6412 PM Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45-5754540, . checkin: 14:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. Both Hoensbroek railway station as well as Heerlen Woonboulevard railway station are located within walking distance of this Bastion Hotel in Heerlen. edit
- Van der Valk Hotel Heerlen, Terworm 10, 6411 RV Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 571 94 50, . Good hotel but the location is inconvenient without a car . edit
- Hotel Kasteel Terworm, Terworm 5, 6411 RV Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 400 11 11, . Very luxurious four stars hotel. edit
- Guesthouse No. 16, Coriovallumstraat 16, 6411 CC Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 571 47 77, . From € 50,-. edit
- Stadshotel Paris, Geleenstraat 1, 6411 HP Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45 400 91 91, . From € 65,-. edit
- Hotel Café Amicitia, Markt 9, 6431 LG Hoensbroek, ☎ +31 (0)45 - 521 29 99. edit
- Huizepassart, Passartweg 56a, 6413 NX Heerlen, ☎ +31 (0)45-522 85 24, . edit
VVV Heerlen is where you can get information about the city. For any information go to Bongerd 19, Heerlen.
They can assist with:
- Cityguide / Tour
- Theater & Concert information
In Heerlen as so many other cities and places in Limburg are targets of drugtraficing. Crime goes hand in hand with these practices. If you just want to smoke a joint go to one of the legalized "coffee shops".
Connections to Aachen are via train or bus. Other options by train are to Belgium (via Maastricht) and the remainder of the Netherlands.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!