Hagerstown, nicknamed The Hub City, is a charming city on the edge of the Appalachian Mountains and near the Potomac River in northwestern Maryland, United States.
Potomac Street, Downtown Hagerstown.
Hagerstown is the county seat of, and the largest city in, Washington County. The city is perhaps best known for its outlet mall, which offers a huge variety of clothing among other things. The community is named after Jonathan Hager, a German pioneer who settled the area in the mid-1700s. Hagerstown has an approximate city population of 40,000 and metropolitan population of ~260,000.
Hagerstown is only 75 minutes away from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and Harrisburg. The main interstate highways running by the city are I-81 and I-70, each of which have multiple well-signed exits for Hagerstown. US 11 and US 40 also intersect in the city.
Atlantic Coast Charter Buses  stops in Hagerstown.
Hagerstown Regional Airport (IATA: HGR) , located 5 miles (8 km) due north of the city, is commercially serviced with flights to and from:
- Allegiant Air, . Orlando-Sanford International, FL (IATA: SFB) and St. Petersburg-Clearwater International, FL (IATA: PIE)
- Sun Air Express, . Washington-Dulles International, VA (IATA: IAD) and Pittsburgh International, PA (IATA: PIT)
Avis and Budget have car rental counters in the terminal building. Alternatively, one can drive to Baltimore-Washington Marshall International Airport (IATA: BWI), Harrisburg International Airport (IATA: MDT), Washington Reagan National Airport (IATA: DCA), or Washington Dulles International Airport (IATA: IAD) all of which are within 60 miles (97 km) to 75 miles (121 km) distance of Hagerstown.
By car or walking
Renting cars or driving to Hagerstown is advised because only the downtown area is walkable. Walking downtown, however, is safe and charming.
County Commuter buses (1000 W Washington St, +1 (240) 313-2750) are effective and go to all points in the city and county.
For a taxi you could call:
- Bonnie's Transportation, 50 Summit Av, +1 (240) 527-5377
- Downtown Sedan, 686 Pennsylvania Av, +1 (240) 625-9920
- Easy Transport, 5 W Lee St, +1 (301) 302-7292
- Route 63 Sedan Service, 720 Cross St, +1 (301) 707-3300
- T L Turner Van Service, 1062 Florida Av, +1 (301) 733-7788
- Taxi & Sedan Service, 120 W Antietam St, +1 (301) 733-6600
Downtown Hagerstown Skyline Painting.
View of the mountains from a Hagerstown suburb on a beautiful January day.
Aside from simply admiring the ubiquitous vistas of the Appalachian Mountains, you might also want to see:
- Fort Frederick State Park, 11100 Fort Frederick Rd, Big Pool, MD 21711, . Historic, restored fort 15 minutes from downtown Hagerstown built during colonial times that saw action during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars Frequent special events during the summer with costumed re-enactors. This is one of two colonial forts in MD and is well worth a visit. $3 a car for MD residents. edit
- Discovery Station, 101 W Washington St (Downtown), ☎ (877) 790-0076, . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 2PM-5PM. Non-profit volunteer-run science museum dedicated to providing an exciting learning environment for curious minds of all ages. Active Military and Reservists (and immediate family members) • No Charge, Children 3 and under • No Charge, Ages 4-17 • $6.00, Adults • $7.00, Seniors (55 and over) and Retired Military • $5.00. edit
- Fairgrounds Park, Security Rd./N. Cleveland Av. (Corner of Security Road and North Cleveland Avenue). Previously named Hagerstown Fairgrounds, Fairgrounds Park is an open land park restored from fairgrounds. The Park is home to Hagerstown BMX, a biking track, Hagerstown Ice & Sports Complex, a public indoor ice skating complex, Fairground Softball Association, who play on the premises, and walking trails. The park also features several events including a yearly fireworks display held around the American Independence Day, the annual Hagerstown Hispanic Festival, and the Fairgrounds 5K. Free. edit
- Hagerstown City Park, 501 Virginia Avenue, ☎ (301) 739-8577, . 6am-10pm. Rated "The Most Beautiful City Park in America" by EscapeHere.com. Stroll through a beautifully traditional city park, with playgrounds for the kids, picnic areas, tennis and baseball facilities, and a flock of ducks and geese to accompany you on your walk around the park's multiple lakes. Also, home to the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, the Hager House and Museum, the Hagerstown Railroad Museum and Engine 202, and the Mansion House Art Center. Free. edit
- Hager House and Museum, 110 Key St (Hagerstown City Park), ☎ (301) 739-8393, . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 2PM-5PM. See the founder of Hagerstown's pre-Revolutionary War house. $3. edit
- Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, 501 Virginia Avenue (Hagerstown City Park), ☎ (301) 739-5727 ([email protected], fax: 301-745-3741), . Tu-Fr 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-4PM, Su 1PM-5PM. Free. edit
- Maryland Theatre, 21 S. Potomac St., ☎ (301) 790-3500, (301) 790-2000 (fax: 301-791-6114), . Symphony House that plays host to famous performers and all of Maryland's state beauty pageants. Home to the Maryland Symphony Orchestra. edit
- Washington County Playhouse, 44 N. Potomac St., ☎ 301-739-SHOW, . Dinner Theatre. edit
The city is a focal point for mountain bikers, fishermen, canoeists and hunters interested in the plentiful outdoor recreational opportunities in the area. The Appalachian Trail and the Chesapeake & Ohio (C & O) Canal Towpath are close by.
- Black Rock Golf Course, 20025 Mt. Aetna Rd., ☎ (240) 313-2816, . $26-$42/18 holes. edit
- Family Recreation Park, 21036 National Pike Boonsboro, MD 21713 (9 miles southeast of Hagerstown), ☎ 301-733-2333 ([email protected]), . Go Karts, Outdoor Movies, Mini Golf and Driving Range, Water Attractions, and Paint Ball. edit
- Hagerstown Ice & Sports Complex, 580 Security Rd. (Adjacent to Hagerstown Fairgrounds Park), ☎ (301) 766-9122 (fax: (301) 739-5180), . The Hagerstown Ice & Sports Complex @ Fairgrounds Park is a 40,500 square-foot facility sitting on nine acres adjacent to Fairgrounds Park. The facility is owned by the City of Hagerstown and operated by the Hagerstown Ice Amateur Athletic Association. The complex features a single National Hockey League size rink, an arcade, snack bar and rooms for parties or private meetings. edit
- Hagerstown Speedway, 15112 National Pike (6 miles west of Hagerstown), ☎ 301-582-0640, . Weekends, Feb.-Oct.. "One of the East Coast's premier dirt tracks." edit
- Hagerstown Suns (Municipal Stadium), 274 Memorial Blvd. E. (from Dual Hwy., turn west on Mt. Aetna Road and continue until it becomes Memorial Blvd. at the stadium), ☎ (301) 791-6266, . "A-level minor league baseball team, affiliated with the Washington Nationals." $5-$9. edit
- Mason Dixon Dragway, 21344 National Pike Boonsboro, MD 21713 (9 miles southeast of Hagerstown), ☎ 301-791-5193, . NHRA sanctioned, 1/4 mile, dragstrip located near Hagerstown. edit
- Atomic Comics, 18 West Franklin St., ☎ 301-739-0177, . Comic book store located in Downtown. edit
- Junkworks Antiques, 53 North Potomac St., ☎ 304-702-3813. Antique store located in Downtown. edit
- Hub City Thrift, 10 W. Franklin St., ☎ 240-707-6522, . Thrift store located in Downtown Hagerstown. edit
In addition Hagerstown has multiple lifestyle/power centers with big-box stores, plazas, and two major malls:
- Premium Outlets Hagerstown, 495 Premium Outlets Blvd., ☎ 301-790-0300, . M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 10AM-7PM. Premium Outlets Hagerstown is a large outdoor mall with over 100 stores. edit
- Valley Mall, 17301 Valley Mall Rd, ☎ +1 301 582-0700, . M-F 10AM-9PM, F-Sa 10AM-9:30PM, Su 11AM-6PM. The Valley Mall is one of two indoor malls in the Hagerstown Metropolitan area (the other is the Martinsburg Mall). There is over 900,000 square feet of retail space. Its anchors are Belk and JCPenney, and its junior anchors are Regal Cinemas 16, Toys 'R' Us/Babies 'R' Us, H&M, Old Navy, Men's Wearhouse, and Shoe Dept Encore. edit
- Hagerstown Centre, 17850 Garland Groh Blvd (located off the US 40 and I-81 interchange), . Strip mall featuring a Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Dicks's Sporting Goods, Marshalls, OfficeMax, and PetSmart. edit
- Crosspoint, 17151 Cole Rd., . Strip mall located across the street from Valley Mall featuring a Target, DSW, Petco, Ross Dress For Less, Kohl's, and Michaels. edit
Hagerstown dining includes international flavors as well as landmark American establishments. Many restaurants can be found downtown, near US 40, in the North End, and near the Valley Mall. Typical chain restaurants are also abound, particularly along US 40 and around the main retail areas.
- Alekos 2 Go, 511 Northern Ave. (In North End.), ☎ (240) 313-4976, . Greek and American cuisine. Drive-thru and pick-up services also available. edit
- Hagerstown Family Diner, 431 Dual Hwy (Adjoining the Best Western Grand Venice Hotel), ☎ (240) 707-6330. Traditional American diner. edit
- Karu Peru, 1423 Dual Hwy (In Foxshire Plaza), ☎ (301) 739-5310. Peruvian and Latin American cuisine. edit
- Krumpe's Do-Nuts, 912 Maryland Ave (in the rear) (On 913 DoNut Alley), ☎ 301-733-6103, . Sun - Fri, 7pm - 2am, Closed Sat. A Hagerstown Tradition for over 75 years. Iconic Hagerstown doughnut shop that hosts the annual New Year's Krumpe's DoNut Drop in the Public Square and the Krumpe's Donut Alley Rally 5k. There's almost always a line out the door so prepare to start waiting outside. edit
- Pollo Loco, 18501 Maugans Ave Ste 102 (Close to Exit 9 off Interstate 81), ☎ (240) 707-6101, . Peruvian and Latin American cuisine. edit
- Washington Chicken, 222 E. Oak Ridge Dr. Ste. 900 (In South End.), ☎ (301) 790-0555, . Chicken-themed American restaurant. Pick-up services also available. edit
- Bulls & Bears Restaurant and Pub, 38 S. Potomac St. (In the Arts and Entertainment District across from Maryland Theatre), ☎ (301) 791-0370, . Sun-Thu 11am-9pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm. Bulls & Bears presents Downtown Hagerstown with a unique experience featuring American cuisine in a New York style atmosphere. edit
- Café del Sol, 1481 Salem Ave. (Just off I-81 Exit 7A), ☎ (301) 739-3072. Serves Latin-American and Italian cuisine. edit
- Dolce, 792 Frederick Street (On US 40 Alternate near the Claude M. Potterfield Public Pool), ☎ (301) 745-6300. Serves Romanian, other Eastern European and Italian cuisine. edit
- El Paso, 12 E. Washington St. (Located downtown.), ☎ (301) 790-0166. Serves Mexican cuisine. edit
- Fuji Chinese Cuisine & Sushi, Suite #205, 11205 John F. Kennedy Drive (In Rosewood Commons off Robinwood Drive.), ☎ (301)393-9099 ([email protected]), . Serves authentic Chinese cuisine and sushi. edit
- Hempen Hill BBQ Bar & Catering, 13208 Fountain Head Plaza (In Hagerstown's North End off of US 11 (Pennsylvania Avenue)), ☎ +1 301-797-4455, . Popular American BBQ joint. 'The Place Where Locals go!' Organic Liquors, Beers & Wines, Local Farm Fresh Veggies, great Vegetarian Dishes & Meatless Monday Dinner Deals. edit
- House of Kobe, 757 Dual Hwy, ☎ (301) 797-6979, (301) 790-1856 ([email protected], fax: (301) 797-0087), . Mon - Fri Lunch: 11am - 3pm, Mon - Fri Dinner: 5pm - 10pm, Sat Dinner: 3pm - 10pm, Sun Dinner: 3pm - 9pm. Popular Japanese restaurant serving Hagerstown for 30 years. Moderate. edit
- Lanna Thai Restaurant, 1580 Wesel Blvd Ste K (Near The Valley Mall.), ☎ (301) 302-7680, . Serves authentic Thai cuisine. edit
- Leni D's Za Fast, 17997 Garland Groh Blvd. (Near The Centre at Hagerstown in Shoppes at Hagerstown (Best Buy) shopping center.), ☎ (301) 790-2350, . Mon - Sat 11am - 10pm, Sun 11am - 9pm. Unique preparation of pizza customized and heated in a quick-heat specialty oven. edit
- Maloo's at Park Circle, 325 Virginia Ave. (Near City Park.), ☎ (301) 790-0077. Tue - Fri Open at 11am, Sat Open at 11:30am. American style pub and grill. edit
- Mango Grill, 11205 John F Kennedy Dr (In Rosewood Commons off Robinwood Drive.), ☎ (240) 707-6220, . Serves Indian and Thai cuisine. edit
- Pho D'Lite Southeast Asian Kitchen, 67 Eastern Blvd N (Near the intersection of Eastern Blvd N and Conrad Ct), ☎ (240) 707-6929, . Serves Vietnamese and Thai cuisine. edit
- Rhubarb House, 12 Public Square (Downtown.), ☎ (301) 733-4399. American cuisine. edit
- Rik's Cafe, 1065 Maryland Ave (South End.), ☎ (301) 302-7541, . American cuisine and bar. edit
- Sitar of India, 110 Railway Lane (Near Massey Boulevard and the Valley Mall.), ☎ (301) 733-8223. Serves North Indian cuisine. edit
- Taj Grill, 62 W Antietam St (Located downtown in the Dagmar Hotel.), ☎ (301) 671-1515. Serves Indian and Anglo-Indian cuisine. edit
- Thai Zap, 40 N Potomac St (Located downtown.), ☎ (301) 766-9559, . Located downtown in the arts and entertainment district. Serves Thai cuisine. edit
- 28 South, 28 S. Potomac St. (In the arts and entertainment district downtown.), ☎ (240)-347-4932. Contemporary American cuisine. Combining Fresh Local Ingredients to Create a One-of-a-Kind Dining Experience. edit
- Aqua 103, 12916 Conamar Drive, Suite 103 (Off Leitersburg Pike in the Lyles Center.), ☎ (301) 393-5757 ([email protected]), . Monday - Friday 11 am - 11 pm / Saturday 4:30 pm - Midnight. Trendy, hip, and chic restaurant in Hagerstown's North End, serving "Progressive American" cuisine. Reservations recommended. edit
- Fireside Restaurant, 1718 Underpass Way (Halfway Blvd.), ☎ 1-301-733-4800, . Attached to the Ramada Plaza Hotel, the Fireside Restaurant offers a full menu of steaks, seafood, and other American specialties in an upscale surrounding. edit
- LJ's and the Kat Lounge, 1130 Conrad Ct. (Off Eastern Blvd.), ☎ (301) 797-3354, . Closed all day Sunday and Lunch Monday & Saturday, Lunch Tuesday - Friday 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Dinner Tuesday - Thursday 5:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. Friday & Saturday dinner 5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.. Offering American cuisine using worldwide and local ingredients. Also known for its lounge. Attire: Smart and Reservations recommended for restaurant. edit
- Nick's Airport Inn, 14548 Pennsylvania Avenue (U.S. Route 11) (Located next to the Hagerstown Airport.), ☎ (301) 733-8560 ([email protected]), . Lunch Monday-Friday - 11:00am - 2:00pm, Dinner Monday-Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Dinner Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm. Good atmosphere, great seafood, and fine dining. Reservations recommended. edit
- Sakura, 104 Railway Lane (near the Valley Plaza/Mall off I-81 Exit 5A), ☎ 301-393-9088. Excellent sushi and hibachi served in a lively but elegant atmosphere. edit
- Schmankerl Stube, 58 S. Potomac St. (Located in downtown Hagerstown), ☎ (301) 797-3354, . Closed Mondays. Great Bavarian fare. Excellent selection of German beers on tap. Outdoor “Biergarten” dining setting available. edit
- Schulas Grill and Crab House, 11205 John F Kennedy Dr (In Rosewood Commons off Robinwood Drive.), ☎ (301) 714-1397, . Award-winning seafood restaurant. edit
Most drinking establishments in Hagerstown are found in the downtown area, but some are located in suburban areas in and near strip shopping centers.
- Always Ron's, 29 N. Burhans Blvd., ☎ 301-797-7887, . The largest selection of craft beers on tap in Washington County (30). You'll find a continuous rotation of the the finest beers. Taplister keeps you up to date with all the beers once we tap a new keg. We also have crafted bottles and cans to go.If your looking for you favorite mixed drink, stop in and enjoy rail to top shelf liquors. edit
- Bennys Pub, 49 Eastern Boulevard N., ☎ 301-791-5915, . 11 AM - 2 AM M-S, Sunday close at Midnight. Best food in town, ice cold beer, Entertainment weekly. Nice, friendly atmosphere. Never a dull moment. You never feel like a stranger. $. edit
- The Corner Pub, 158 S. Mulberry St. (Located in SE part of downtown.), ☎ +1 (301) 797-3532, . The Corner Pub has a casual, friendly Irish pub atmosphere and features an excellent selection of draft beers from regional craft brewers and an impressive bottled beer selection that includes intelligently selected Belgian, English, and German classics. The only place in Hagerstown that rivals the beer quality is the bar at Schmankerl Stube. edit
- Gourmet Goat/GG's Restaurant & Martini Bar, 41 N. Potomac St. (Downtown.), ☎ (301) 790-2343 ([email protected], fax: (301) 790-0733), . Mon. 7am-3pm; Tue. 7am-6:30pm; Wed. & Thur. 7am-9pm; Fri. 7am-10pm, Sat. 9am-10pm. Gourmet Deli/Coffee Shop, Catering Services, Fine Dining Restaurant, and Full Bar Specializing in Martinis. edit
- LJ's and the Kat Lounge, 1130 Conrad Ct. (Off Eastern Blvd.), ☎ (301) 797-3354, . Tuesday - Friday 11:30 a.m. – 12:00 a.m. Saturday 5:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.. edit
- Zepheira Sports Bar and Hookah Lounge, 49 S Potomac St, ☎ 240-347-4598, . The best in American cuisine coupled with exquisite Mediterranean dishes. Finely crafted mixed drinks from wide selection of vodka, bourbon, whiskey, gin, scotch and a rotating stock of craft beer. Frozen drinks too including milkshakes to mudslides, and strawberry daiquiris to frozen margaritas. $$. edit
Most hotels and motels in Hagerstown are located in proximity to exits along Interstates 70 and 81. Others, including full-scale hotels, are clustered along US 40.
- Best Western Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, 431 Dual Highway (US 40.), ☎ (301) 733-0830, . Full-service hotel with Cellar Wine and Spirits and Hagerstown Family Diner. edit
- Clarion Hotel and Conference Center Antietam Creek, 901 Dual Highway (US 40.), ☎ (301) 733-5100, . The largest full-service conference center in the area. HagerHall Conference & Event Center, Cancun Cantina nightclub, and Barefoot Bernie's restaurant adjoin hotel. edit
- Comfort Inn and Suites, 920 Dual Highway (US 40), ☎ (301) 739-9050 (fax: (301) 739-8347), . edit
- Comfort Suites, 1801 Dual Highway (US 40, close to Exit 32B of Interstate 70), ☎ (301)-791-8100 (fax: (301)-766-2079), . edit
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, 17612 Valley Mall Road (next to Valley Mall.), ☎ (800) 456-4000 (fax: (301) 582-3529). edit
- Courtyard By Marriott, 17270 Valley Mall Rd. (next to Valley Mall.), ☎ (301)-582-0043, . edit
- Days Inn, 1101 Dual Highway (US 40), ☎ (301) 733-2700, . Newly renovated edit
- Hampton Inn - Hagerstown, 1716 Dual Highway (US 40, close to Interstate 70 Exit 32B.), ☎ 301-739-6100, . Near Exit 32B off Interstate 70 in the SE part of town. edit
- Hampton Inn - Hagerstown-I-81, 18300 Peak Circle (Off Maugans Ave, close to Interstate 81 Exit 9.), ☎ 240-420-1970, . Near Exit 9 off Interstate 81 and the airport. edit
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, 241 Railway Lane (Close to Interstate 81 Exit 5A.), ☎ 1-888-551-0222, . Near Valley Mall shopping area. edit
- Homewood Suites by Hilton, 1650 Pullman Lane (Close to Interstate 81 Exit 5A), ☎ (301)-665-3816, . Near Valley Mall shopping area. edit
- Microtel Inn & Suites, 13726 Oliver Drive (Off Maugans Ave, close to Interstate 81 Exit 9.), ☎ (240) 527-2700, . edit
- Ramada Plaza Hotel, 1718 Underpass Way (near Halfway Blvd.) (Adjacent to Valley Mall and Interstate 81 Exit 5A.), ☎ 301-797-2500, . checkin: 3:00pm; checkout: 11:00am. Offers Wyndham Rewards, Full Service 6-story hotel with an oversized indoor pool, Fireside Restaurant & Lounge. On-site Laundry Facilities. Call 301-797-2500 for Reservations edit
- Rodeway Inn, 901-A Dual Highway (Adjacent to Clarion Hotel off US 40.), ☎ 301-714-0800, 888-528-6738. Adjacent to Clarion Hotel, Cancun Cantina nightclub, Barefoot Bernie's restaurant and bar, and Hager Hall convention center. edit
- Sleep Inn & Suites, 18216 Colonel H K Douglas Dr (Close to Premium Outlets Hagerstown and Interstate 70 West Exit 29 and Interstate 70 East Exit 29A.), ☎ (301) 766-9449 ([email protected]), . This Hagerstown hotel is minutes from the Antietam National Battlefield, Hagerstown Speedway, First Data Corporation and the Maryland Theatre. edit
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott, 17270 Valley Mall Rd. (next to Valley Mall.), ☎ (301)-582-0011 (fax: 301-582-9011), . edit
- Super 8 - Hagerstown, 1220 Dual Hwy (US 40), ☎ 301-739-5800 (fax: 301-739-5800), . edit
- Super 8, I-81, Halfway Hagerstown, 16805 Blake Road (Near Exit 5B of Interstate 81.), ☎ 301-582-1992 (fax: 301-582-3488), . edit
- The Appalachian Trail offers walking paths and breathtaking scenery from atop South Mountain.
- Nearby big cities Washington, D.C. and Baltimore are good day-trips from Hagerstown. In fact, many tourists to those cities stay the night in Hagerstown for cheaper lodging rates and to add a few local historic and retail spots to their itinerary.
|Routes through Hagerstown
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!