Gstaad  is a city in Switzerland.
Gstaad is in the MOB (Montreux Oberland Bernois) railway line which runs from Montreux to Zweisimmen. Some of the trains are Golden Pass Panoramic or Classic trains, which cost no more but are worth getting. The Panoramic carriages have plenty of glass, which enables you to see more of the spectacular views as you climb up from Lake Geneva. You can also book and pay extra to sit in right at the front of the train - the driver's cabin is perched above your head and it feels like you are in charge. The Classic carriages are all wood-lined and have waitress service for drinks - it's like being on the Orient Express! The trip from Montreux to Gstaad cost 48CHF return in 2008 and is worth it just for the scenery. If you go during the Montreux Jazz festival you can catch a special jazz train, which has live music in dedicated carriages for a few francs extra.
- 55 Eggli. The descent begins a few metres behind the mountain restaurant. This delightful run takes you through forests and the silent mountainous landscape around Gstaad, ending in Grund, from where you can walk back to the Eggli valley station. Starting point: Eggli mountain restaurant Suitable for: Families and thrill-seekers Duration: 1 hour Distance: 5 km Height difference: 500 m Highlights Panoramic views from the Eggli mountain restaurantPlease note The toboggan run is also used as a winter hiking route Toboggans are available for hire for CHF 10 from the Eggli valley station, Gstaad Restaurants along the way Eggli mountain restaurant Restaurants in Gstaad edit
Take your time to enjoy the spectacular scenery and breathe in the mountain air!
- Local handicraft items
- "Gstaad My Love" stickers from Cadonau
- A souvenir cow bell to take the sounds of the Alpine cows home with you
- Le Grill Upscale rôtisserie
- Gildo’s Ristorante Italian and typical Mediterranean food in a "Casual fine dining" atmosphere. Only open during winter season.
- La Fromagerie Swiss specialties. Open winter season only.
- Le Restaurant International cuisine. Saturday formal buffet. Jacket required in evening. Reservations recommended.
- La Grande Terrasse International cuisine. Open summer only.
Early Beck - stop in to sample some of the local pastries
- GreenGo' Nightclub located in the Gstaad Palace. Open every day in winter. Thursday, Friday & Saturday in summer from 22.00
- Chesery Club, Alte Lauenenstrasse 6, 3780 Gstaad, Switzerland, ☎ +41 33 744 73 03, . 10pm - 3am. Lively multi-room bar and night club with DJs, bar games, cocktails and occasional live music. Free. (46.4726749,7.2873211) edit
- Gstaad Palace , Palacestrasse, Gstaad. Tel: +41 33 748 50 00, [email protected]. Landmark hotel featuring a spa and healthclub with indoor and heated outdoor pool, one squash court and 4 outdoor tennis courts.
- Hostellerie Bon Accueil , La Frasse, Château-d'Oex. Tel: +41 26 924 6320, [email protected]. Distance to Gstaad is approx. 15 kilometers.
- Gourmet Hôtel Ermitage , Château-d'Oex. Tel: +41 26 924 60 03, [email protected]. Distance to Gstaad is approx. 15 kilometers.
- Sporthotel Krone , Lenkstrasse 4, Zweizimmen. Tel: +41 33 722 17 15, [email protected]. Distance to Gstaad is approx. 15 kilometers.
- Gstaaderhof*** Swiss Quality Hotel, Gstaad, CH-3780, ([email protected], fax: 41 (0)33 748 63 60). Four star hotel in typical swiss chalet style located only 0.5 km from the railway station in the center of the charming village. There is a free shuttle service from the station to the hotel. Two different restaurants and a great wellness area. The ski lifts are reachable by foot in a few minutes. Single room 154CHF Double room from 392CHF (low season 2009).
www.gstaaderhof.ch www.SwissQualityHotels.com edit
Gstaad is famous for snow, sun, the high life and fine classical music. There are three world-class music festivals in Gstaad each year. Musicians have made two of them : Yehudi Menuhin began the first one in the 1950s when he invited friends and fellow-musicians to come and play in the lovely churches of the area during the summer months. Ten years ago, French pianist Caroline Haffner started with a similar idea for the winter months. She invites exceptional young talents to come and perform new programmes alongside world class professionals. An innovative programme and friendly welcome are assured. The next New Year Music Festival in Gstaad starts on Thursday 27 December and continues for ten days with concerts, receptions and parties in Gstaad, Lauenen, Rougemont and Chateau d'Oex. New Year Music Festival in Gstaad on Twitter @gstaadnymf - E: [email protected] and www.nymf.ch Menuhin Festival - www.menuhinfestivalgstaad.ch and the Palace Hotel's Sommets Musicaux in February 2013 : www.sommets-musicaux.com