Greymouth is on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island at the west end of the road through Arthur's Pass.
Greymouth is at the western terminus of the TranzAlpine line. Although it is located on the South Island's west coast, The town sits along the bank of the Grey River (named in honour of sir george Grey), about half a mile inland. The town has suffered many floods from the river untill a floodwall was built in 1992 which has since saved the town from further floods. The town has several scenic walkways along the river and parks.
Greymouth still shows much of its industrial roots and would not be considered an especially attractive tourist town. Primarily recommended as a base when checking out Punakaiki (pancake rocks), white water rafting, kayaking, visit Shanty Town or tours to franz Josef Glacier, not as a destination in its own right.
Shanty Town is a replica gold mining town complete with sawmill, gold sluice and gold panning. A steam train runs several trips each day. Shanty Town also operates New Zealand's only Steam School in association with Tai poutini Polytech.
See also Train travel in New Zealand
Greymouth Train Station, the western terminus of the TranzAlpine line from Christchurch.
The world famous TranzAlpine, operated by Tranz Scenic departs from Christchurch station at 8.15AM and arrives at Greymouth at 12.45PM daily. Trains depart Greymouth at 2PM for Arthur's Pass National Park and Christchurch.
- InterCity  operates comfortable daily bus services from Nelson, Westport, Punakaiki and Franz Josef Glacier. Schedules coincide with train arrivals.
- West Coast Shuttle  offers a daily return service from and to Christchurch. (Ideal for day trips to Arthur's Pass). Departs Greymouth at7.45 am from Regent theatre or from Motels / Hotels and travels via Arthur's pass and Christchurch airport (11.15) West Field Mall, Riccarton Rd 11.30 and the Central Bus station Litchfield St 11.45. Leaves Litchfield St, Platform 'L' Central Bus Excahnge 2.15, via airport 2.45 then Arthur's Pass arriving back in Greymouth at 6.30PM. Offers On board toilet, pillows, blankets, free tea or coffee.
Greymouth airport has no scheduled flights. Charter flights can be arranged.
This is a small town and you can easily walk to inns and restaurants within the town. If you want to go further afield, your choices are:
- Taxi - Greymouth Taxis, 138 Mackay Street, phone (3) 768-7078. 50m from the train station, Greymouth Taxis can arrange trips to Punakaiki or other nearby destinations.
- Rental Car - The Greymouth train station has rental car counters from Hertz, Budget and a variety of discount agencies. Advance reservations are recommended.
- Organized Tours - Several tour companies will pick you up at your inn, take you to nearby destinations, then return you to your hotel (or to the train station in time for your departing train). Check brochures in the train station or at your hotel.
- Greymouth i-SITE West Coast Travel Centre, 164 Mackay Street, Greymouth, ☎ +64 3 768 7080, . 9am-5pm Mon - Sun. The official Greymouth visitor information centre offering expert advice and free bookings for accommodation, transport, TranzAlpine train, tours & activities. edit
- Monteith's Brewery. The local brewery offers tours daily at 1030a, 3p, 430p, and 6p, and is open 10a-6p daily. edit
- Aquatic Centre. Completed in 2009, the public aquadic and sports centre offers indoor pools and waterslides. edit
A large supermarket, as well as "The Warehouse", a large general goods type store, are located next to the train station, making Greymouth a good place to stock up on essentials for your trip. (Note you must walk around the station to enter their parking lot; do not cross the railroad tracks at the station and try to climb over the fence).
- Robert Harris Cafe, 123 MacKay St, ☎ +64 3 768 5959. Best Coffee in Greymouth. Also good cafe breakfast and lunches. edit
- Bonzai Pizza, 31 Mackay Street, phone (03) 768-4170. Good pizza in a friendly casual atmosphere. Order at the counter then sit down at a table or booth.
- Central Park Camping, 119 Tainui Street (300M South of McDonalds Roundabout). checkin: any time 800am to 8pm; checkout: 11am. " lat="-42.4530400000" long=" 171.2093200000">Motor Home Park with Showers and Laundromat. Free WiFi from 10 October 2015 20$. edit
- Global Village Backpackers, 42-54 Cowper St, . $NZ 17 - 44. Lowest prices offered to BBH members. Very clean, friendly backpackers.
Bed & Breakfast
- Golden Coast B&B  10 Smith St, phone (03) 768-7839 The first B&B to open in Greymouth, in 1967. Three clean rooms and with shared bathrooms, plus ensuite unit. Friendly owner. NZ$75 - $130 per night, depending on room and number of guests. Breakfast included. Located 200 meters above the train station (from train station, take sidewalk up to bridge, do not cross river, instead turn right and walk up to Smith Street.)
- Rosewood B&B, 20 High St, ☎ +64 3768 4674, Freephone: 0800 185 748, mailto:[email protected], . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 10am. Rosewood combines modern luxuries such as ensuite bathrooms in 3 rooms (one with facilities for the disabled) and a huge guest share bathroom for the remaining 2 rooms, tasteful furnishings with top quality king- and queen-sized beds (cotton linen, your choice of pillows, cosy duvets and extra woollen blankets). There is off-street parking to the rear and wheelchair access. NZ$125-185. edit
- Bella Vista Greymouth, 33-35 High St, ☎ +64 3 768 7199, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 10am. Four star motel with free wifi and courtesy vehicle from TranzAlpine Express train. From $90. edit
Wireless Internet is available for free at the public library (18 Albert Street, just off Mackay Street) as well as at certain hostels and hotels.
A nice hike, the Point Elizabeth Trail, connects Rapahoe, just north of Greymouth, to a northerly "suburb" of Greymouth, on the north side of the river. This is probably most practical if you can be dropped off at one end and picked up at the other end.
Take a day trip to Christchurch or to Arthur's pass.
catch the train to Arthur's Pass (1.30 departure) and coach back to Greymouth (5.15 at arthur's Pass)arrive back to Greymouth at 7pm