Giresun is a city in eastern Turkish Black Sea coast.
The name of "cherry" in many languages (including English itself) derives from the ancient name of Giresun—Kerasus—as the city was where cherries were first exported to Europe, during Roman times.
Giresun today has a population of about 115,000, and has a relatively liberal culture compared with its neighbours in Eastern Karadeniz.
Giresun lies on the coastal highway D010, about 130 km west of Trabzon, the major city of Eastern Karadeniz. 950 km from Istanbul and 600 km from Ankara.
There is an airport on an artificial island just off the coast of Gülyalı, a town in Ordu and the coast of Piraziz, a town in Giresun which is called Ordu-Giresun Airport. The airport is 28 km away from center of Giresun. There are shuttle from airport to Giresun, called Havaş. And the price is 15 TL. It takes about 25 minutes.
- Citadel (Giresun Kalesi). A well-preserved citadel in city centre.
- Giresum Museum (Giresun Müzesi), Atatürk Bulv. 62 (below the citadel, close to the waterfront), ☎ +90 454 212-13-22 ([email protected], fax: +90 454 212-54-75), . M-F 8AM-5PM. Housed in a Greek cathedral dating back to 18th century, overlooking the sea and with a view of the island. 3 TL; under 17 and over 65 yrs free. edit
- Giresun Island (Giresun Adası). Except for tiny rocks, this is the only Turkish island in the Black Sea. Situated 1.2 km offshore, it is possible to rent a boat to the island from the city. Surrounded by verdant bushes and trees of the island are the ruins of a roofless temple and some fortifications, which are believed to be used by Amazons, a legendary clan of all-female warriors who terrorized the lands around the Black Sea in ancient times.
- Kuzalan Şelalesi ve Mavi Göl (Kuzalan Waterfall and Blue Lake). The lakes that consist of natural mineral water and the waterfalls on the stream offer the unique blue beauty in the natural canyon with the effect of mineral water.Blue Lake is located at the 45th km on the Giresun Şebinkarahisar highway and 500 m from the Kuzualan Waterfall. edit
Buy the most quality hazelnut of the world. Try to eat chocolates which made by these hazelnuts.
With plenty of bars, Giresun has a relatively lively nightlife, and the destination of weekend trips for many regional visitors from nearby cities of Ordu and Trabzon.
- Otel Kaan, Osmanağa Cad. Çapulacılar Sok 8, ☎ +90 454 212-65-14, . checkout: noon. Central, no-frills one-star hotel in a side street. Very good value, with buffet breakfast, wi-fi and free parking at adjacent garage. edit
- Otel Kale, (up a steep cobblestoned street leading to the university). Basic, no-star, clean, free wi-fi, cheapest option. edit
- Hotel Kit-Tur, (on the main shopping street leading 100 meters uphill from the harbor). 3-star, but with low prices, very good value. edit
- Ramada Hotel, ☎ 0454 363 0 404, . 20 km away from Giresun, 5 km away from airport. The beach is 1 minute by walking. edit
Telephone code of Giresun is (+90) 454.