Gilroy is in the southern part of Santa Clara County south of San Jose in California. It is in the South Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Gilroy is located about 35 miles south of San Jose International Airport. It is also known as the "Garlic Capital of the World." The Caltrain, the 68 bus (VTA), and the 168 bus run from San Jose to Gilroy. Note that the Caltrain and the 168 bus only run on weekdays, and in peak commuting directions. The 68 bus offers more regular service.
- July -- Gilroy Garlic Festival, . The country's largest festival devoted to everything garlic. Garlic plushies, garlic ice cream, garlic weavings, garlic wine, garlic-till-you're-sick. The last full weekend of July.
- Gilroy Gardens, 3050 Hecker Pass Hwy, +1 408 840-7100, . Open from mid-spring to mid-fall. A theme park whose theme is plants, agriculture, and local history. Best for people interested in gardens, and for families with younger children. Like Legoland, the rides here do not cater to teenagers or older.
- Chitactac-Adams Heritage County Park  is an interesting little park where the Ohlone people lived for several thousand years. It's not a destination by itself, but if you're in the area ...
- Visit some local wineries.
- Hiking and backpacking at Henry Coe State Park, Henry Coe has many hiking and mountain biking trails. There are both drive in camping sites and backcountry sites. Backpackers can hike deep into the park to find solitude on multi-day itineraries. Inside the park there are also several ponds and lakes that provide great fishing experiences. Two popular fishing destinations are Coit Lake and Mississippi Lake. Both lakes have large populations of Largemouth Bass. The park is most beautiful in the Spring and can become quite hot and dry in the Summer.
Gilroy is known for its outlets. At Gilroy Premium Outlets,  their 145 outlet stores draw people from near and far. Located at 681 Leavesley Rd., Gilroy, CA 95020. If you're in the mood for shopping, the outlets are easy to see just off 101.
- Black Bear Diner, 393 Leavesley Road (West of 101 Exit, next to Forest Park Inn), ☎ 408-842-9901. American comfort food, bear-shaped paraphenalia edit
- Joe's Italian Restaurant, 168 W. 10th Street, ☎ 408-842-1446. Sicilian style....sadly as of April 2011 they seem to be closed :( edit
- Mama Mia's, 1360 1st St # B, ☎ 408-847-8808. Tuscan style. edit
- Claddagh, 1300 S. 1st Street (West end of 1st, just before it heads into the hills), ☎ 408-848-5050. Irish pub & restaurant. Soccer on the telly when available. edit
- The Longhouse, 8195 Monterey Highway, ☎ 408-842-7664. American food. Friendly waitstaff. edit
- Pho Ho An II, 890 Renz Lane #152 (Next to the Best Buy). Vietnamese. Note, there's an ATM on site but they don't take debit or credit cards. edit
- Scotty's Restaurant at Gilroy Bowl, 7554 Monterey St., ☎ 408-842-5100. Yes they're attached to a bowling alley, but the service is great and they have good Hawaiian and Japanese food (loco moco, spam musubi, donburi, etc.) along with standard diner fare. edit
- Victoria's Mexican Restaurant, 757 1st Street, ☎ 408-848-1052. What it says on the tin. edit
- O.D.'s Kitchen, 28 Martin St, ☎ +1 (408) 847-3818. Breakfasts. Plentiful food, low prices, popular hole-in-the-wall breakfast joint. Their "Kitchen Sink" entree is huge, you may want to share it. cheap. edit
- Motel 6, 6110 Monterey Highway, ☎ +1 408 842-6061 (fax: +1 408 842-6020), . edit
- Hilton Garden Inn, 6070 Monterey Street, ☎ +1 408 840-7000 (fax: +1 408 840-7022), . edit
- Best Western Forest Park Inn, 375 Leavesley Road (West of Leavesley Road exit on 101), ☎ 408-848-5144. edit
- GILROY INN - GILROY (CA) (Hotel in Gilroy california), 611 Leavesley Road, Gilroy, California 95020, ☎ (408) 847-0688, . The Gilroy Inn Gilroy California is well-known for its garlic crop and for the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival, featuring various garlicky foods, including garlic ice cream. edit