Frederick is the county seat, largest city, and commercial and geographic center of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick is a charming city of approximately 65,000 people. It is a major antique center with many shops, eateries, galleries and antique dealers.
In colonial times, Frederick was on an important north–south Indian trail.
The town was founded around 1742 and was likely named after Frederick Calvert, the 6th and last Baron Baltimore.
From Washington, D.C. and Montgomery County, take Interstate 270 north. Traffic is heavily congested southbound during morning rush hour and northbound during evening rush hour.
From Baltimore and points east, take Interstate 70 west.
From Hagerstown and points west, take Interstate 70 east.
From Gettysburg and points north, take U.S. Route 15 south.
MARC provides commuter rail service to Frederick Monday through Friday on the Brunswick Line, which originates at Union Station in Washington DC.
Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), 2 miles east of downtown Frederick, is a small, general aviation airport that serves only private planes.
Baltimore-Washington International Airport (IATA: BWI), Washington National Airport (IATA: DCA), or Washington Dulles International Airport (IATA: IAD) are the nearest large commercial airports. They are all within around an hour driving time of Frederick.
Route 515 provides service between Frederick and the Shady Grove Metrorail Station, whereby connections can be made to/from Washington DC. The bus operates only during rush hour and costs $3.50.
Greyhound operates service to/from Baltimore for $11 if purchased online in advance.
A car is the easiest way to get around Frederick. There are public parking garages and street parking in the historic downtown area.
TransIT operates bus services within Frederick. Buses operate between 6AM and 9PM and cost $1.50.
Uber is a popular method of transport in Frederick for those without a car.
The "Mural Bridge" - Made of concrete and painted to look 3D.
- Barbara Fritchie House, 154 West Patrick St, ☎ +1 301 698-8992, . Call ahead for hours during which you can visit the interior (which is preserved in the period style when she lived there), as they are not regular. A Civil War era Union patriot and close friend of Francis Scott Key, Barbara Fritchie is perhaps best known for flying the Union flag outside her house as General Stonewall Jackson marched by on the Maryland Campaign. In memory of this event, John Greenleaf Whittier wrote his poem Barbara Frietchie, lines of which Winston Churchill recited by memory during his visit to the city. edit
- National Museum of Civil War Medicine, 48 E Patrick St, ☎ +1 301 695-1864, . M-Sa: 10AM-5PM; Su: 11AM-5PM. Also has locations in Sharpsburg and Washington DC. The exhibits demonstrate how medicine was practiced during the Civil War (which was a lesson in patient endurance), as well as track advances in medicine during those times. Adults: $9.50; Students: $7. edit
- Rose Hill Manor, 1611 N Market St, ☎ +1 301 600-1650, . A hands-on children's museum with folks in period costume and "rural activities" edit
- Monocacy National Battlefield, 4801 Urbana Pike (Take I-70 south of Frederick and exit Urbana Pike to the park), ☎ 301-662-3515, . daily, 8:30AM-5PM. Site of a summer 1864 Civil War battle between General Jubal Early of the Confederacy and General Lew Wallace of the Union. Free. edit
- Francis Scott Key Memorial, 515 S Market St, Mount Olivet Cemetery, inside its main entrance, ☎ +1 301 662-1164 ([email protected]), . The grave of Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner. edit
- Roger Brooke Taney House, 121 S Bentz St, . Sa: 10AM-4PM; Su: 1PM-4PM from April through mid-December. Adults: $6. edit
- Beatty-Cramer Architectural Museum, 9010 Liberty Rd, ☎ +1 301 668-2086, . One of the 6 most important historical houses in Maryland, dating back to 1732. edit
- Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, 1110 Rosemont Ave, ☎ +1 301 663-3885, . April through early December: Sa-Su 1PM-4PM. In a colonial German stone house built in 1758. Suggested donation of $5. edit
- Hessian Barracks, 101 Clarke Pl, ☎ +1 301 360-1455, . Dating from 1780. Closed to the public pending a restoration. edit
- Baker Park, 121 N Bentz St, . 7:30 am-10:00. Downtown Frederick's 44-acre park features a carillon, band shell, tennis courts, softball and baseball field, Culler Lake, Thomas pool, and numerous playgrounds for children. Park features concerts and children's theater in the summer and numerous outdoor events throughout the year including a Fourth of July celebration. edit
- Edward P. Thomas, Jr. Memorial Swimming Pool, 500 Fleming Ave in Baker Park, ☎ +1 301 663-5666, . Memorial Day to Labor Day: 12:30PM-8PM. Adults: $6. edit
- Frederick Keys Minor League Baseball (Harry Grove Stadium), 21 Stadium Dr (exit 54 on I-70---then head for the towering lights), ☎ +1 301 791-6266, . A-level minor league baseball team, affiliated with Baltimore Orioles. $5-$11. edit
- Frederick Indoor Sports Center, 1845 Brookfield Ct, ☎ +1 301 662-6866, . Hosts soccer competitions. edit
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre, 31 W Patrick St (Downtown Frederick), ☎ +1 301 694-4744, . Frederick's largest producing non-profit theater and voted 'Frederick's Best Theater Group' in Frederick Magazine every year. Offering contemporary and classic Mainstage plays, family theater, acting classes, improv, camps and more. (39.414395,-77.411808) edit
- Frederick Fairgrounds, 797 E Patrick St, . Hosts events and festivals all year round. edit
Frederick is known for a high concentration of antique stores. The majority are in the historic parts of the city along Patrick St, East St, and along Carroll Creek. There are also a variety of small shops along Market St.
- Francis Scott Key Mall, 5500 Buckeystown Pike, . edit
- Wonder Book and Video, 1306 West Patrick St, ☎ +1 301 694-5955, . 10am-10pm. Delightful browsing in this unique collection of used books, sheet music, comics, etc. This store location is one of a few retail locations of Wonder Book which also sells many books online. edit
- Edgeworks Knife and Supply, 200 N Market St (on the corner of Market and 2nd), ☎ 800-520-0321, . 10AM-7PM. Awesome shop with a huge selection of knives, cutlery, darts, bags, flashlights, and more. Brands carried include Victorinox, Wusthof, Chef Works, Benchmade, Spyderco, Chris Reeve, Survive!, William Henry, and a variety of custom knifemakers. The very friendly and knowledgeable staff make everyone feel welcome. edit
- Rock & Roll Graveyard, 115 E Patrick St, ☎ +1 301 514-8828, . Outstanding little record store run by an extremely knowledgeable record collector. Good selection in a variety of genres and fair prices. edit
Fast food and national chain restaurants are located to the west along Route 40, known as "the golden mile," south along Route 85, and north of Frederick in the new development on Rt. 26. Smaller, local restaurants are located mainly along Market and Patrick Streets in the center of the historic part of town.
- Airways Inn of Frederick, 310 Aviation Way (On Aviation Way at The Frederick Municipal Airport), ☎ 301-228-2100, . Famous for fresh seafood and delicious Maryland crab soup. edit
- AKA Friscos, 4632 Wedgewood Blvd, ☎ +1 301 698-0018, . Great sandwiches and potatoes. The specialty is the 'exploded potatoes.' $5-$10. edit
- Brewer's Alley, 124 N Market St, ☎ +1 301 631-0089, . Local brewery with a nice range of beers. The Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout are very good. Cask aged beers are often available. Pizzas and baked dishes from the brick oven are really good. Try the sweet potato fries! $7-$20. edit
- Cafe Bueno, 503 N East St, ☎ +1 301 620-8858, . Mo-Fri 7AM-7PM, Sat 8AM-4PM. A very small but homey restaurant serving among the best and most authentic Mexican cuisine in the region. Also serves American classics and have a breakfast menu. In a strip mall on the eastern side of downtown with free parking. $8-18. edit
- Family Meal, 880 N East St, ☎ +1 301 378-2895, . 7AM-10PM. Upscale diner-style restaurant from Bryan Voltaggio of VOLT, also in Frederick. Relaxed atmosphere, delicious food, and great cocktails. Try the fried chicken and biscuits, the duck-fat fries with house-made dipping sauces, and the adult milkshakes. edit
- Lucky Corner Vietnamese Restaurant, 700 N Market St, ☎ +1 301 624-1005, . 11AM-9PM. Delicious, authentic Vietnamese food. The pho will knock your socks off! edit
- The Orchard, 45 N Market St, ☎ +1 301 663-4912, . Mostly natural and organic foods. Good selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes. $12-$20. edit
- Pretzel and Pizza Creations, 210 N Market St, ☎ +1 301 694-9299, . Open until 3AM on weekends. Homemade pretzels and pizza made out of pretzel dough are the specialties here. A little pricey, but the pizza is worth it. Pretzel sandwiches: $9; Pizzas: $7-37. edit
- Sabor de Cuba, 9 E Patrick St, ☎ +1 301 663-1036, . Friendly service, delicious Cuban food, and the best margaritas in Frederick. You can't go wrong with this menu. edit
- Viet Gourmet, 1812 Rosemont Ave, ☎ +1 301 418-6455, . 10:30AM-9:30PM. Serving over 100 Vietnamese dishes and 20 noodle soups for dine-in or carryout customers. Daily lunch specials as well as a wine and beer menu. edit
- The Tasting Room, 101 N Market St (Intersection of Church & Market St), ☎ +1 240 379-7772, . European-style fine dining with an extensive wine list. Dinner mains: $28-45; Glass of wine: $8-16. edit
- VOLT Restaurant, 228 N Market St, ☎ +1 301 696-8658, . "Top Chef" finalist Bryan Voltaggio's restaurant. Modern, local, seasonal, very high end food. Reservations are needed, well in advance for the Chef's tasting menu and Table 21 (A 21 course, 3 hour, food event or a lifetime). Lunch tasting menu is highly recommended. $25-$121. edit
- Bushwaller's, 209 N Market St, ☎ +1 301 695-6988, . Irish pub. (39.416951,-77.410763) edit
- Gambrill State Park Camping, 8002 Gambrill Park Rd, . Camping facilities. edit
- Comfort Inn – Frederick, 7300 Executive Way, ☎ +1 301 668-7272, . edit
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Frederick, 5220 Westview Dr, ☎ +1 301 631-2000, . edit
- Hampton Inn Frederick, 5311 Buckeystown Pike, ☎ +1 301 698-2500, . edit
- MainStay Suites – Frederick, 7310 Executive Way, ☎ +1 301 668-4600, . edit
- Holiday Inn Frederick-Conf Ctr at FSK Mall, 5400 Holiday Drive, ☎ +1 301 694-7500, . edit
- Country Inn & Suites, 5579 Spectrum Dr, ☎ +1 301 695-2881, . edit
- Courtyard Frederick, 5225 Westview Dr, ☎ +1 301 631-9030, . edit
- Best Western Historic Frederick, 420 Prospect Blvd, ☎ +1 301 695-6200, . edit
- Motel 6 Frederick MD - Fort Detrick, 999 West Patrick St, ☎ +1 301 662-5141, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12PM. edit
- Econo Lodge, 6021 Francis Scott Key Dr, ☎ +1 301 698-0555, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!