Forio is on the island of Ischia in Italy.
The bus ticket is € 1.20, with which you can get all buses but 90 minutes. You can buy it from newsstands, bars, and tobacconists.
Tickets valid for longer durations (for example one or two-day tickets) are also available. All tickets must be validated on boarding the bus. Don't forget there's always a controller on board. You can also get tickets from the local hooba hooba man for a lemon
In Forio cabs are pretty expensive and usually taxi drivers try to take advantage of tourists. The best way is to ask for the best deal before going in the taxi.
The sightseeing bus is 11 euros, pretty expensive but if you don't want to be squished on a public bus this is the best way to sightsee.
- Villa La Colombaia Lacco Ameno - The Villa, surrounded by a superb park, was the residence of the movie director Luchino Visconti. It is now the seat of the cultural Institution dedicated to Visconti, which is involved in cultural activities promotion such as music, cinema, theatre, art exhibitions, work-shops, cinema reviews. A museum dedicated to Luchino Visconti will be open soon. The Villa and the the Park are accessible for public visits.
- Villa La Mortella - San Francesco -
This wonderful park is located at Forio d’Ischia (busstop 41 on the CS or #1 bus route) and was originally the property of the English composer William Walton, who lived in the Villa next door with his wife. When the composer arrived on the island in 1946, he immediately called a botanical expert from England to lay out the garden, planting wonderful tropical and Mediterranean plants, some of which have now reached amazing proportions.
La Mortella Gardens - Forio d'Ischia
- Il Torrione - It was built in 1480, has two floors: the ground floor had no access from outside and was used as weapons and munitions storage, there was also a rain-water tank; on the upper floor there was the Garisson’s accommodation (about 10 people) led by a “torriere” that had the task of promptly taking sight of any enemy ship and sounding the alarm. On the top , there was a terrace provided with four cannons. Historians notice that many similar towers were built in Forio until the XVIII century, although many of them were used as private residence of noble families. 16 similar fotresses have been counted in all between 1480 and 1700, plus five more towers built in the district of Panza, some with a squarred base and others with a circular base. Many of these towers can be observed still now and are mainly private houses. The “Torrione”, after it had been restored, became a municipal Museum, on the lower floor, while the upper floor was the house of the artist Giovanni Maltese from Forio and is now an art gallery hosting his pictures and sculptures collection.
- The Soccorso's church - It is devoted to "Santa Maria della neve" (Saint Maria of the snow), and it was built on a steeply promontory that take its name. As the "Torrione" it is the symbol of the town of Forio and it is one of the most original architecture structues of the Island of Ischia. The Soccorso was founded as an augustinian convent on about 1350 but it was suppressed on 1653, anyway its actual form go up since the 1864. The church is accessible by 20 steps of piperno, then there is a little atrium with 5 crosses of pipernio too. This church is world famous not only for its position but specially for its singular facade, white and adorned by precious '700's majolicas representing saints and scenes of the Passion of Christ. The Soccorso's style is very original, it reassumes some architectures as Greek-byzantine, Moorish and Mediterranian in harmonic shapes. The inside is very interesting becouse of the many types of volta. In the left chapel there is a thaumaturgical cross, a sculpture of Catalan inspiration, surely made on the sec. XVI. Closed to this cross there are 2 marble medals, they was found in a medieval sarcophagus that was placed in the castel of the antique cathedral of Ischia. This church retains various arts as a shovel made by Cesare Calise that represents Saint Augustine, and a small basin of pipernio dated sec. IX-X.
Sorgeto Hot Springs
Starting from the 1300’s people have come to soak in the soothing hot springs of Ischia. Streams of spouting hot water gushing into the sea as well as steamspouts with gases gushing from cracks in the soil (fumaroles) in caves which are used as a kind of sauna in baths and thermal gardens.Sorgeto Hot Spring Waters located in Forio coastline, whose thermal water gushes out into the sea. You can lounge in the natural pool made by small rocks and stones. Hot water is outpouring into the sea and bubbles can be easily observed among rocks. To get here there is a series of stone steps. The temperature quite high allows to have baths also in winter.
Poseidon Gardens and Natural Spas
With reference to its volcanic origins, the hydrothermal heritage of the island of Ischia is one of the richest in the world. The thermo-mineral island springs with their clearly evident "hyperthermability" captured the attention of the ancients right from the beginning. It is therefore hardly surprising that the thermal cures of Ischia actually date back to the VIII Century A.D., when the first Greek colonies, originating from Eubea, settled on the island.
The curative tradition of Ischia's springs did not pause throughout time: they passed from the Greek to the Roman period and so on, through the darkest Medieval centuries to the Renaissance period and up to a first rational approach of 18th Century medical science to today.
Among the areas creating most interest, the zone of Citara, in the municipality of Forio, is undoubtedly the most important and, indeed, in the bay of Citara the famous Thermal Poseidon Gardens were established.
22 pools ( Thermal, Kneipp, ocean-water ) have been installed according to latest tecnical and medical knowledge. The water - temperature vary from 28°C to 40°C (82°F to 104°F ) and the abundance of water means that it is constantly renewed - a totally unique procedure. A Roman Sauna and a large private beach is equipped with deck-chairs and beach - umbrellas, various restaurants of which one is situated in a beautiful grotto of local tuff-stones and a boutique with a newspaper-kiosk complete this extraordinary establishment.
Visitors of the Poseidon Gardens will find a haven of peace and tranquility in a setting of 60.000 square meters of ecologically intact gardens and can enjoy an ideal combination of medical cure and relaxing holidays by the sea.
This is also a reason why perfectly healthy people who have no need for treatment in the classical sense, benefit greatly from spending some time at the Poseidon Gardens. If you are extremely involved in your work and have hardly any time for compensatory sport or other activities, or if you sinply want to prevent future health - problems nothing can be better than the combination of a mild climate, the warming sun, mountains and beaches, thermal springs and the sea. Nothing is better than the mosaic of natural healing as provided in the Poseidon Gardens.
A permanent bus - service is linked with all important parts of the island.
Forio is probably the best town on Ischia to get good deals, from the best Italian brands to the lower end. Take a look right the center of town where the shopping street is, but don't miss the market stalls of Forio where you can find bargains, sometimes clothes for 5 euros.
- Ristorante La Casereccia, Via Baiola, 193, Borbonica, 80075 Forio, Ischia, ☎ +39081987756, . Located at the foot of Mount Epomeo and with a sea view from above, this hidden gem is a true family restaurant. Each night Mamma Tina cooks up the best in Ischitan and Southern Italian. Standout menu items include the Grilled Swordfish, Stewed Rabbit, and Gnocchi Sorrentina. One of the sons of the family also bakes delicious pizzas using the freshest ingredients. Most ingredients, in fact, come from the family's own gardens. Wine and limoncello are homemade and delicious. Attire is casual, families and groups are welcome, and prices are reasonable. The family also runs a hotel and hostel edit
- Ristorante Umberto a Mare, Via Soccorso, 2, ☎ +39.081.997171 ([email protected]), . This tiny restaurant has only ten tables. Its popularity stems from its view of the sea and the menu consisting of the local fishermen's daily catch. edit
- Bar Ristorante Il Fortino, Via Fortino, 37 Forio, ☎ +39 081 507 8003. The terrace of this fine restaurant opens up onto the sea for a lovely view during the day and at night. Some of their specialties include bruschetta and their filling salad Il Fortino. edit
- La Bella'Mbriana, Via Marina n. 7. Outside the entry door is write " Irish Bar ", actually the place has nothing to do with an Irish Bar is more a place to have fun, a Karaoke Club where you can enjoy italian live music and get a lot of cocktails for 8 euro each ( reasonable ) at least the entry is free. The average age is 30 y o.
- Ring Hostel Ischia, via Gaetano Morgera 80, ☎ +39 3394702996 ([email protected]), . located in an old monastery, the hostel is 5 minutes walking from both the buzzing town center of Forio, and also the closest beach. The hostel has free internet for all guests, as well as wireless capabilities for laptops. The common room has a big screen TV with lots of DVDs to rent, comfy couches, instruments to play, and a book exchange. Above it all, there is a comfortable terrace for watching sunsets and making friends. The hostel has one big dorm room, and then smaller rooms that can be single-sex, as well as doubles. edit
- Residence Villa Marinù, Via Cesa, 10, ☎ +39 081 333 2021. Residence site in Forio d'Ischia, close to Citara beach. Are available apartments with one bedroom (studios), two bedrooms (two) or three bedrooms (three rooms) equipped with every comfort. Half board at a very low price. Pool and spa affiliated. edit
- Hotel Ristorante La Beccacia, Via Cava Scialicco, ([email protected]), . This hotel and restaurant provides the perfect surroundings for a peaceful night of sleep, or an enjoyable night out. Your needs are catered to at all times while you visit this familiy run hotel. Each morning you awake to the beautiful sunrise over your breakfast table, and each evening you watch it set as you enjoy perfectly prepaired, traditional Italian food. This rustic, yet modern hotel is perched on the mountain, providing a short drive from, and a breathtaking view of the beach. The Ristorante La Beccacia is a safe environment for children, and a welcoming home for all ages. This hotel completes a perfect vacation to the beautiful island of Ischia. edit
- Pietradonica, Via San Vito 1, Forio d'Ischia, ☎ +39 3460870005. Bed and breakfast. Old Farm-House of 1700, offers double rooms faced a garden of spices, citrus plantations and banana-trees. The rooms, are furnished with bathrooms, bed-linen, bar fridge, coffee pot and tea-pot, heating and ventilation, colonial furnishing of the nineteenth-century. A common kitchen is located in the garden pavilion. edit
- Villa Spadara, Via Calosirto 66, Forio d'Ischia, ☎ +39081989584 ([email protected]), . In the nature of a lush limoneto, in the hills of Forio d'Ischia, stands Villa Spadara, an old farmhouse now receiving his guest in a family ambient, with great flower around. Here is a wonderful terrace looking the great sunshine on Forio, here is a relaxing swimming pool with thermal water, here is a great cuisine with local and fresh product, cooked with love following old family tradition. All the rooms are with bathroom and balcony, there is a bar and a lot of green space where walk, relax and live the nature of this incredible island. edit
- Pensione Mena, Via Spinavola, 33 (about 1km East of [[Forio]], near Campo Sportivo.), ☎ + 39 081 987356 - 081 989547 ([email protected], fax: +39 081 989547), . Lovely rooms overlooking the sea. Cost 35 euros pp B&B (10 EUR extra for half-board). Very welcoming. Small swimming pool. Not much English or German spoken. edit
- Hostel Central Ischia, Corso Avv. Francesco Regine 10, ☎ 00393348105351, . Hostel in the center of the main course of Forio in a palace dwelling in the past many local artists, has many beds at a guaranteed minimum price and from the most beautiful beaches and thermal parks, free wifi throughout the hotel. edit
- Hotel Poggio del Sole, via Baiola 291, ☎ +39 081 987756 ([email protected], fax: +39 081 987942), . a cosy, charming, family-owned and operated hotel at the foot of Mount Epomeo on the beautiful Italian Island of Ischia. The hotel is perfectly positioned for quiet and peaceful afternoons spent gazing at the panorama of lush greenery, dramatic cliffs and sparkling blue waters and is walking distance from both the center of Forio and the sea. Hotel Poggio del Sole provides everything you might need to make your vacation perfect: comfortable rooms with unlimited views of the Mediterranean sea, pool, solarium, internal parking and most of all the warm hospitality of the owners and staff. edit
- Rotonda Sul Mare Apartments, Via Aiemita 29, ☎ +39 081 987546 ([email protected], fax: +39 081 987942), . The Rotonda Sul Mare offers private apartments with full kitchen and bathroom in a location directly on the beach. The Rotonda is located is just a few minutes walking from the center of Forio, one of the main towns on Ischia island. In addition to its great location, Rotonda provides free internet access, free kayak and canoe rental, and terraces for your enjoyment. Laundry facilities are on-site, and parking is available. During the summer, the Rotonda boasts a beautiful patio deck over the water, where you can spend your day in the sun, and walk down the steps directly into clear water on a private beach to cool off. edit
- Villa Ravino, S.S. 270 Citara, ☎ +39 081 997783 ([email protected], fax: +39 081 997783), . Botanical garden with a small lodge accommodation. A villa with self catering apartment set in a botanical garden. Thermal pools, sauna, beauty corner, fitness corner, lounge bar, sea view, for an individual holiday in a family atmosphere. The garden, along with the mature areas around, is the result of 50 years of great passion and loving work of Signor Peppino, the owner of the Villa. The exotic trees include palms, olive, lemon and orange. edit
- Hotel Resort Punto Azzurro, Via Belvedere, 50, ☎ +39 081 1922 0121. The Resort Punto Azzurro is a three star hotel of Ischia. This island is known all over the world for its springs, thermal parks and spa centres. The rooms are divided in singles and doubles, the rates change according to the season and can be booked half or full board. Other services include the restaurant, swimming pool and the free transfer to the port, the Citara beach and the thermal park of Poseidon. edit
- Hotel Gattopardo, Via G.Mazzella, 166, ☎ +39 081 997714 ([email protected], fax: +39 081 998950), . The 4 star hotel is located at only a few minutes walking from the sea (300m) and the centre of Forio (900 m). It offers outdoor and indoor pools, SPA and beauty farm, conference room for 35 people, two panoramic solariums, good restaurant and own vintage wines. edit
- Villa Maria Luisa, Via Vecchia 15 (Forio), ☎ +39 339.2914073 // +39 339.2914073 ([email protected]), . Apartments to rent in the heart of the historical centre of Forio, surrounded by a lush Mediterranean Garden with lemon, orange, mandarin, palm trees and an English garden. The Villa offers recently-restructured independent Holiday homes of various sizes (for 2-6 people) with a garden and all comforts. The main beaches of Ischia are within walking distance, but you can also take a bus or minibus. edit
- Hotel Paradiso Terme, Strada Provinciale 270 nr 433 Traversa Via S.Giuseppe, 10, ☎ 0039 081 907014 ([email protected]), . Hotel Paradiso Terme Resort and SPA is an exclusive residence, where the friendliness and hospitality will turn your stay in an unforgettable experience made of sea, sun, nature and a romantic atmosphere. edit
- Hotel Mezzatorre Resort & Spa, Via Mezzatorre, 23 Forio, ☎ +39 081 986111 ([email protected], fax: +39 081 986015), . The 5 stars hotel is located in Forio d´Ischia, not far from the wonderful villa where the famous Italian movie director Luchino Visconti once lived. The hotel is perched on a bluff above the sea and has a special and strategic position offering guests tranquillity and a magic atmosphere.It offers 45 rooms and 12 suites, swimming pool of heated sea water, jogging paths, two restaurants, a prestigious spa with three indoor pools, beauty and wellness. edit