Fall River is a city in Massachusetts on the south seacoast. Fall River has the highest percentage (over 40%) of Portuguese of any city in the country; most are of Azorean descent. Fall River was the largest cotton textile manufacturing area in the late 1800s (AKA Spindle City). Many of the old brick buildings now lie vacant, have been renovated into stores such as the Burlington Coat Factory, and others on Quequechan Street, while others have burned (one in 1983 or the Kerr Mill fire in 1986) as well as been torn down. In and about the areas around these mills the streets, once cobblestone have been paved however near the center of the city (end of Plymouth Ave) you may catch a glimpse of the past after a bad winter when the pavement is broken up. In fact that area was paved over (including the trolley tracks about 20 yrs ago). Fall River is also the home of the historical Lizzie Borden trial, as well as the hometown of famous chef, Emeril Lagasse.
- Peter Pan offers bus service between Fall River, New Bedford and Newport.
- SRTA  offers a bus service between Fall River and New Bedford.
SRTA  provides bus services around the greater Falls River area.
- Battleship Cove, 5 Water St., Phone: +1 508-678-1100, fax: +1 508-674-5597. Daily 9AM-5PM. The world's largest naval ship exhibit. Centerpiece is the U.S.S. Massachusetts, a World War II battleship. As well as the battleship the site is home to the destroyer Joseph P. Kennedy Jr, the Balao-class submarine USS Lionfish, PT Boats PT 617 and PT 796 as well as the Hiddensee, a Soviet built missile corvette. Battleship Cove can be reached from the Falls River Bus Station by SRTA [www.srtabus.com] Bus 7 outbound and Bus 6 inbound. or by 20 to 30 minutes walk. Also has a restored 1920 carousel. .
- Fall River Heritage State Park, Davol St., Phone: +1 508-675-5759,Heritage State Park is perfectly located, hugging the Taunton River which provides a wonderful and relaxing views.This 8.5-acre park overlooks Battleship Cove, which houses the World War II battleship, U.S.S. Massachusetts. Heritage State Park also has a boardwalk that runs the length of the park, benches for lounging, trees, an antique carousel, sailing opportunities, tennis courts, historical statues, and a huge open area perfect for the recreational activity of your choice. This park is a great family spot for picnics, relaxing, or even just going for a leisurely walk..
- Marine Museum, 70 Water St., Phone: +1 508-674-3533.
- Narrows Center for the Arts, 16 Anawan St., Phone: +1 508-324-1926, .
- Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum, Phone: +1 508-674-9340, . Seasonal. Adm. $3, under 12 $1.50.
- The Lizzie Borden Bed & Breakfast/Museum, 230 Second St, ☎ (508) 675-7333. In 1892, Lizzie Borden was accused of killing her father and stepmother in this very home. Though she was acquitted of charges, that historical story remains a mystery to us to this day. You can not only view the scene of the crime and explore the house, but you can also spend the night and enjoy breakfast where it all happened. If you've ever heard of Lizzie Borden and her historical trial, you simply cannot miss this experience. edit
- Fall River Historical Society, 451 Rock Street, ☎ 508-679-1071, . The Fall River Historical Society (FRHS), the oldest cultural institution in Fall River, Massachusetts, is housed in a French Second Empire mansion that was once a station on the Underground Railroad. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the structure features a magnificent period interior, while the beautiful grounds with Victorian gardens provide a lush and memorable venue for functions such as weddings and cocktail parties. Exhibits include the largest existing collection of artifacts pertaining to the Borden murder mystery case – among them the alleged murder weapon and original crime scene photos – and the FRHS curators are recognized as the top Lizzie Borden experts in the world. Distinctions also include a first-rate Museum Gift Shop, an annual Holiday Open House, The Charlton Library of Fall River History, and The Easton Tea Room, a popular spot for parties, showers, meetings, and children’s events. Hours vary by season; please visit the web site for details. edit
- The Great Feast of the Holy Ghost of New England (Mid-August), often called "the biggest Azorean feast in the world," draws busloads of Portuguese from all over the country and Canada.
- Fall River PAL, 31 Franklin St. This building hosts hardcore, punk and metal shows. Bands from local status to signed touring bands have come through. The stage room is very large with plenty of room to stand, dance, or whatever you came to do. Bands that have played here include, but are not limited to, Recon, And All Was Silent, and Years Spent Cold. There is a small concessions stand that has hot dogs, chips, water, and sodas. The stage is fairly large and could fit a five peice band comfortably. edit
- Smash Table Tennis Club, 231 Weaver Street (Off route 79), ☎ 774 955 5432, . 7 Days a week. A premier table tennis club in Fall River, Massachusetts. Athletic programs, casual ping pong, lessons and pro-shop. $10 Day pass. edit
Bristol Community College is a two year community college with a wide array of degree options, ranging from certificates, to associates degrees. BCC offers transfer options to four year colleges, as well as competitive two year programs in Nursing and Dental Hygiene.
- Burlington Coat Factory, 181 Mariano Bishop Blvd, ☎ (508) 675-0829, . M-Sat 10am-9pm, Sun 10am-7pm. edit
Fall River has an extremely wide variety of dining options, and is especially known for their delicious Portuguese style restaurants.
- Water Street Cafe, 36 Water St., Phone: +1 508-672-8748, .
- T.A. Restaurant, 408 South Main Street, ☎ (508) 673-5890. edit
- Al Mac's Diner, 135 President Ave, Fall River, MA, ☎ (508) 679-5851 . edit
- Ninety Nine Restaurant, 404 Pleasant Street, Building #7, ☎ (508) 673-8999. edit
- The Clipper, 459 S Main St. The Clipper offers authentic and delicious Portuguese cuisine; one of the best in the city. edit
- St. James Irish Pub, 91 Purchase St. edit
- Battleship Brewhouse, 101 President Ave # 6. The Battleship Brewhouse has over 80 beers in stock and 20 on draft. They also offer live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights. edit
- 1873 House Bed and Breakfast, 621 Second St., Phone: +1 508-679-8990.
- Comfort Inn and Suites, 360 Airport Road, ☎ 508-672-0011. checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Offers 81 newly reappointed rooms featuring new furnishings, carpeting, bedding and linens. edit
- Lizzie Borden B&B, 230 Second St., Phone: +1 508-675-7333.
- Randall Durfee Guest House, 19 Highland Av., Phone: +1 508-679-0579.
Nearby New Bedford has whaling-related attractions. Boston, Cape Cod and Newport are tourist destinations within a one-hour drive.
|Routes through Fall River