Esquel is a town in Chubut in Argentina. It is 300 km south of Bariloche.
Esquel is a growing mountain town that is reasonably wealthy. Population is about 40,000 and the town was founded in 1906. It is located at the north-eastern tip of the "16 de Octubre" Valley, and is the Chubut province largest city on its western side, lying about 10 km west of the backbone Route 40 that runs parallel to the Argentinian Andes. Its coordinates are 42º54'51"S 71º18'59"W
Money: If you're having problems getting money out of ATMs (like many other places in Pantagonia try the following: Choose fast cash instead of withdrawl and withdraw no more than 500 peso. Yes, you will still be charged a steep 50 peso withdrawl fee, but this is sometimes the only way.
- Esquel Airport, Ruta Nacional no 40, 9200 Esquel (19 km from El Bolson), ☎ +54 294 545 1676, . Esquel Airport IATA Code: EQS edit
The optimal bus search is on website.
Esquel has a proper bus terminal and has several busses coming to and from Bariloche, El Bolson, and other cities in the south and west every day. There is also an airport, with -depending of the time of year- 3 to 5 flights a week from and to Buenos Aires.
From Chile: There are buses from Futaleufu to the border, change buses, and than on to Trevelin and Esquel.
The city is walkable, but there are local busses and taxis available as well. Car rentals are available as well.
- Los Alerces National Park, ☎ +54 297 241 3786 ([email protected]), . Area with the beautiful rivers, lakes and mountains of Patagonia. edit
- Cerro De La Cruz. Hiking area and great panoramas. edit
- Fishing, . Activity at plenty different spots within the area like the lakes Tres, Rosario or Corcovado river. edit
- Horseback riding. It takes place around the Esquel hills and valleys. edit
- Skiing. Mountains surround the city and Los Alerces National Park is close by. There is a ski station (La Hoya) only 14 km away. Esquel is a convenient hub for the making day-trips to the Los Alerces National Park. edit
- Trekking, . There are 2 treks, that can be done in the city and several more in Los Alerces National Park. Bus is several times per week going to the park once per day on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, which leaves in the morning and returns back in the evening. There are several decent campsites with little shops that sell food and other supplies within the park, so a multi day trip may be better. The park also has an information center. edit
- Trochita train, . Tourist attraction by Old Patagonian Express between Esquel and Nahuel Pan, 18 km round trip or a hired trip between Esquel and El Maitén or Jacobacci Engineer passing by a beautiful scenery, snow-capped mountains, scattered towns and villages of Patagonia. edit
- White-water rafting, . Corcovado river is perfect for the rafting, both for experienced adventurers and those who have never tried this wonderful water activity. edit
There are a lot of mid-range and high end shops in town selling camping and trekking gear.
There are several restaurants and a surprisingly well stocked grocery store in town. Also a medium-sized "La Anonima" supermarket.
- Alto Pollo, San Martín 1101-1199, Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 565 1790. Fast food restaurant edit
- Gustó! Lomiteria, 25 de Mayo 211, U9200 Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 559-8686, . Argentinian restaurant edit
- Muzza Pizzas, Justo 711, U9200 Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 564 2121. Pizza delivery edit
- Esquel Brewery (Cervecería Esquel), Avellaneda, Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 545 1449, . Brewpub edit
- Heiskel Brewery (Cervecería Heiskel), Chacabuco 2311, U9200 Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 550 7177. Bar edit
- Pinta Birra, Roque Sáenz Peña, Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 555 5388. Bar edit
- La Colina Hostel Camping, Darwin 1400, U9200 Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 545 5264 ([email protected]), . edit
- Olgbrun, Los Ñires N° 1038, U9200 Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 545 0536 ([email protected]), . Cabins, Crafts, Museum. Accommodation reservation is possible only by phone. edit
- Tierra Mapuche Hotel, Hipólito Yrigoyen 1475, U9200 Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 545 6644. edit
- Esquel tourist information center (Secretaría de Turismo de Esquel), Av. Alvear 1120, Esquel, Chubut, ☎ +54 294 545 1927 ([email protected] esquel.gov.ar). You may want to consult before heading to the park. Also they have English speakers. edit
- Trevelin. The valley situated village with the mills, waterfalls and a picturesque nature. Visit the local Welsh settlers museum there.
- Futaleufu. It is the picturesque town of Futaleufu over the border in Chile.