World Cup 2018
Yekateringburg is one of the hosting cities for the biggest event in soccer—the Fifa World Cup. See more information here.
Yekaterinburg  (Russian: Екатеринбу́рг yee-kuh-tee-reen-BOORK) is the capital of the Urals region of Russia.
With a population of 1.4 million people, Yekaterinburg is the 4th most populous city in Russia after Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and Novosibirsk. The city was founded in 1723 by the order of Peter the Great as a metallurgical factory. It was named after the wife of Peter the Great, Yekaterina. In 1918, the last czar family was imprisoned, and later executed, in a house in Yekaterinburg which was later demolished. During World War II, the city grew rapidly as industries and people moved east to escape the war. Between 1924 and 1991, the town was known as Sverdlovsk (Свердловск), named after Communist party leader Yakov Sverdlov and signs with this name still abound, particularly at the train station.
To this day, the city retains its metallurgical roots and the metal industry is the largest contributor to the economy.
The city is situated near the Ural Mountains, the border of Europe and Asia, and there are several symbolic monuments to mark the border.
| Daily highs (°C)
| Nightly lows (°C)
| Precipitation (mm)
Average of Yekaterinburg
Koltsovo Airport, (IATA: SVX), +7 800 100-03-33, is 18km southeast of the city centre and serves 4.3 million passengers per year. The airport is the base of operations for Ural Airlines. There are direct flights to most major cities in Russia and there are international flights to Minsk, Rome, Sofia, Frankfurt, Munich, Prague, Barcelona, Vienna, Dubai, Tel Aviv, Istanbul, Tashkent, Bishkek, Osh, and Helsinki.
Municipal bus #1 operates between the airport and Yekaterinburg-Sverdlovsk Railway Station through the city centre every 15 minutes, the journey takes 50-70 minutes and costs RUB28 as of June 2017. There are also small #01 express buses operating on the same route, but without any intermediate stops, the journey takes 30-40 minutes and costs RUB100. A taxi to/from the city centre should cost no more than RUB500 for the 25-minute journey, but airport taxis will ask more, so better consider using taxi services like Uber or any local services.
Ekaterinburg (Sverdlovsk) Station
See also: Trans-Siberian Railway
All Trans-Siberian trains stop at Yekaterinburg-Sverdlovsk Railway Station. It's located almost in the city center and you can reach the center in 30 minutes on foot or in 5 minutes using the underground.
There is also an extensive network of local trains serving the Sverdlovsk Oblast.
Tourist information and maps
You should either buy a street map from one of the many newsstands and shops in the train stations, print out a street map of Yekaterinburg, or pick up a free detailed street map from the Ekaterinburg Tourist Information Service at 8 Marta St. #21, office #2, located in the city center.
Consider using a 2GIS app (search for it in App Store, Google Play and Microsoft Store), doesn't require an internet connection once installed and city info downloaded, supports the English language, has detailed city map and a directory of all the organisations (restaurants, bars, pharmacies etc.) and public transportation routes.
By public transport
The public transport system is very extensive and has lots of routes. The city is known for its extensible tram network, which is still being extended, unlike other Russian cities. Trams are very popular among citizens and can be quite crowded. There are also lots of buses and trolleybuses which are also very crowded during peak hours.
Yekaterinburg has 1 underground metro line, connecting the city south, through the city centre, to Uralmash — a large industrial and residential area, with a stop near the main railway station. The metro is popular with locals because it is quick and inexpensive. The stations are impressive, decorated with native Ural stones, granite and marble. All stations are open between 6:00 and 24:00. Train frequency on weekdays in rush hour is 4-5 minutes; all other times and weekends it is 8-15 minutes.
All public transport costs RUB28 (as of June 2017) for a single ride. Tickets can be purchased from the special person in trams, trolleybuses, big buses and some small buses. In rare cases, in small buses, you have to buy the ticket from the driver. Underground tickets could be purchased in ticket offices on any station.
All payments must be in cash or with the Ekarta transport card which will work everywhere, except some rare small buses. Ekarta has lots of plans including unlimited plans for 3, 30 and 60 days, but it's useful even with the pay-per-ride plan because the fare will be a couple rubles cheaper, than the cash one.
Taxi is very cheap if ordered by a phone call or using mobile apps like Uber, Gett, Yandex.Taxi, Maxim, RuTaxi, etc. Taxi taken right on the street could be way more expensive and unpredictable. Uber is very reliable and is extremely cheap using uberSTART plan. Most of the taxi services in Russia have a fixed, known ahead pricing (even Uber). Uber rides inside the city centre (without multiplier) will cost around 100RUB, rides from the centre to other areas up to 300RUB.
The central part of Yekaterinburg has traffic problems. However, you can drive from one side of the city to the other in 30-40 minutes if there is no traffic.
- Ganina Yama. Once a pit in the woods where the bodies of the executed Romanov family and three of their dedicated servants were disposed, Ganina Yama is now home to a series of wooden chapels dedicated to the memory of the Romanovs. In addiction to the chapels on sight, there is a garden of lilies that honors the family. Bus 223 runs to Ganina Yama 6 times a day. Take the Yekaterinburg metro line to Mashinostroiteley and walk to the bus stop. In summer months, minibuses from the train station run 3hr long tours to the sight for approximately 500 rubles. Taxis cost about 1000 rubles one way to the sight. The Yekaterinburg tourist center runs tours to the site as well. Expect to pay about 2000 rubles for their tour. edit
- Church on the Blood, (Near the metro station Dinamo). Church on the Blood built in 2003 at the site of the execution of Tsar Nicholas II and his family. The largest temple of Yekaterinburg is located in the site of the execution of the royal family. The ensemble of the complex includes a chapel in the name of Martyr Elizabeth and patriarchal farmstead, together with Ascension Church area is called the Holy Quarter . The temple-on-Blood is one of the main attractions of Yekaterinburg. There are Orthodox fairs and Processions bring distinguished guests. So beautiful the building look in winter, when the temple seemed to glow from within in the dark. edit
- Ekaterinburg Museum of Fine Arts, 5, Voevodina str (Just south of the Goroskoy Prud, on the west bank of the river), . Some fine works by Russian 18th and 19th century artists, minor artists of the 16th to 18th Century European Schools and some lovely small sculptures and jewelry. RUB50. edit
- QWERTY Monument, (On the river bank near metro station Ploshad' 1905 goda). Easily one of Russia's weirdest attractions is the gargantuan keyboard monument in this city. Big white stones rise from the earth, and as you approach, you see engraved upon them, typical keys like "Q" and "SHIFT." edit
- Circus, (Near the metro station Geologicheskaya (Геологическая)). Richly ornamented building which hosts all sorts of circus shows. Nearby is the abandoned television tower. edit
- Ural State University, (To the east from 1905 square along Lenin avenue), . It's a wonderful building situated in a neighborhood full of beautiful old buildings. Makes for a pleasant stroll in the direction of Square of 1905. edit
- Ural State Technical University, (Take trams 4, 8, 13, 15, 18, 22, 23 or buses 5, 10, 50, 50a to UGTU (УГТУ)), . Another wonderful building. Alma mater of Boris Yeltsin. edit
- Opera and Ballet Theatres. There are many theatres situated in the inner city around Square of 1905. edit
- Shirokorechenskoye Kladbishche Cemetery (Широкореченское Кладбище), (Take buses 14, 22, 24, 37к, 048, 69 to Kontrol'naya (Контрольная)). This is the infamous "Mafia cemetery" where there are dozens of graves ornated with big life-size images in stone of former Mafia members. edit
- Ledovyj Gorodok (Ледовый Городок), (Right on Ploshad' 1905 goda). During New Year's. A whole city block under the eyes of Lenin made out of ice. On the central Square of 1905. Open approximately from December 20th and works for a month. edit
- Vysotsky Skyscraper. Best-known urban observation deck is located on the 52nd floor. From a height of 186 meters you can see both the center of Yekaterinburg and remote areas. edit
- Zoo. The zoo is one of the favorite places for rest of citizens and guests of Ekaterinburg. Here you can relax with the whole family to see exotic animals, learn more about the amazing life of the inhabitants of the zoo. The Yekaterinburg zoo has existed since 1930. Today it contains more than 380 species of animals, 70 of which are listed in the Red Book. Currently, it's situated in the city center and has very limited space, so don't expect modern safari-style zoo there. Currently, the new place for a zoo is being designed near the airport. edit
- The Square of 1905. The Square of 1905 is the main city square, which citizens are used to calling just "the square". It's located in the city center and area overlooks such streets as 8 March, Yeltsin, Weiner and Volodarsky and Banking alleys. On the west and east sides, it's being crossed by Lenin avenue. The name of the area was due to the revolutionary events that occurred there in November 1905. The square also hosts important events of Yekaterinburg. edit
- Yeltsin Centre, ul. Borisa Eltsina 3a (On the west bank of rive Itsa, next to the Hyatt Regency, reachable from the station Ploshad´ 1905), ☎ +7 343 312-43-43, . Opened in 2015 Boris Yeltsin Presidential Centre serves as a social, cultural and educational center. One of the main objects of the centre is Boris Yeltsin's Museum, a vast exposition dedicated to the contemporary political history of Russia and the first president of Russia. After a brief exhibit about the history of Russia (only in Russian) proceed to the contemporary history part of the museum. Equipped with dozens of films and interviews (with English subtitles) one can easily spend whole afternoon there. Definitely worth 200 rubles (Jul 2016). edit
Yekaterinburg offers plenty of cross-country skiing. There are some downhill skiing resorts as well. It will take you approximately 25 minutes to get to the nearest of them from the center of the city.
- Limpopo, . The largest water leisure park in Europe. edit
- Yekaterinburg For You English Club, . Every Wednesday at 8:00 PM at Osobnyak restaurant, ul Krasnoarmeyskaya, 8. Great place to meet other foreigners and local Russians who speak English. RUB400 minimum purchase required. edit
When in Yekaterinburg, make a visit to the "Chinese Market" or Bazaar. The market consists of many hundreds of small outdoor stalls, selling everything from toilet paper to fur coats, all at the best prices in the city. But this kind of market is not really the right place to buy souvenirs. Vaynera Street, in the center of the city, has a lot of shops with a wide range of small things to buy. Usually this street (it's pedestrian only) is called The Urals Arbat, after the famous Arbat in Moscow.
Leather in Russia is considered some of the best in Europe; handbags and wallets are of especially high quality. Gold jewelery, while expensive, is also very good. Markets, such as the Chinese market is good for cheap bargains.
- MEGA Mall is a big mall on the outskirts of town owned by the IKEA group. It features tons of Western/international stores including a decent food court. The easiest way to get there is to take bus #27 from the stop on the Square of 1905 near the Lenin statue.
- Grinvich is the biggest mall in Russia outside Moscow, located in the city centre on the 8 Marta 46. You can find there lots of international stores, cinema, theme park, large 24h supermarket, food court, coffee shops and restaurants scattered in different parts of it.
During recent years many new cafés and restaurants have opened in Yekaterinburg, providing the usual mix of Russian/Japanese and Italian food; unfortunately the level of international cuisine is not that high.
- Fabrika Kuhnya (Фабрика кухня), Lenina 69/1, . Continues the legacy of the famous Uralskie Pelmeni (Уральские пельмени) restaurant and is still being called like that by the locals. It's a classical Russian canteen, where you choose the dishes you want and pay at the end of the buffet. Since it's been renovated and renamed, serves very high-quality food and has a stylish retro interior. Definitely, try their pelmeni (meat/fish-stuffed dumplings), vareniki (non-meat pelmeni, especially the dark ones made of a bird-tree dough as a dessert) and tea from the boiler. 200-400. edit
- Vilka-Lozhka (Вилка-Ложка), Vaynera 8, Malysheva 36, Lenina 38a, Lenina 48. Extensive network of extremly cheap canteens, serves moslty the Russian cuisine. The quality could be not that good sometimes, so be picky and careful. 150-300. edit
- Pizza Mia, Vaynera 12. A cheap Italian fast-food place. Known for it's pizzas, especially the closed ones (with the additional dough layer on top). 100-300. edit
- Vietmon, Lenina 41, Gagarina 35, . Authentic Vietnamese food for a reasonable price right in the center of the city. Offers wide variety of dishes starting from the classical Pho and Nem and finishing with delicacies like medusa salad and snail soup. 250-500. edit
- Svoya kompaniya (Своя компания), Moskovskaya 29, Malysheva 44, Lenina 49, etc. Extensive and very popular chain of cozy (as they say themselves) restaurants scattered around the city. Serves wide variety of cuisines including Russian, Italian, Asian etc. Be ready for queues, especially at lunch and dinner time. 500-750RUB. edit
- Il Patio/Friday's, 8 Marta 8d. A franchise that you will find across all Russia. They offer respectively Italian and American cuisine. Food is reasonably priced and always ok. 800RUB/1000RUB. edit
- Pashtet (Паштет), Tolmacheva 23, . Pashtet means "pate" in Russian, so their specialty is different kinds of pates. Along with that it's a Russian cuisine restaurant with the excellent service, very good quality food and Russian classic-inspired interior. 1200RUB. edit
- Hmeli Suneli (Хмели Сунели), Lenina 69/10, . Serves Georgian cuisine, offers the perfect service and reasonable prices for a high quality food. The best place to try shashlik and taste fameous Georgian wines. 1500RUB. edit
- Noble House, 8 Borisa Yeltsina St (At the 2nd floor of the Hyatt Hotel), ☎ +7 343 253 1234 ([email protected]). Offering South-East-Asian cuisine. Sunday Brunch every two weeks from 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm. Very sophisticated environment , good to impress a date or to quietly discuss. It is the only place in town where you will be able to taste some spicy food. Portion are generous at the contrary of what you would expect. Not the best oriental food you will try, but for sure the best of this kind in Ekaterinburg. edit
- La Cucina, 8 Borisa Yeltsina St (At the 2nd floor of the Hyatt Hotel), ☎ +7 343 253 1234 ([email protected]). offers Mediterranean-style and Russian favourite dishes in a modern and colourful setting. Excellent view on the river. Very good place for business lunch. edit
- Troekurov (Троекуровъ), Malysheva St 137, ☎ +7 343 378-81-18. This place of Russian cuisine is very similar to the Pushkin cafe in Moscow, but without its atmosphere, location, or clientele. This is the restaurant for a big closing dinners and official meetings (Medvedev and Angela Merkel were guests at this restaurant). Unfortunately you will find it empty most of the time, which gives you a sense of exclusivity but suggests that maybe you are overpaying for your food. edit
- Doctor Scotch, Malysheva St 54a, ☎ +7 343 371-43-63, . Very large pub attracting crowds at weekends. After the midnight there is a lot of drunk people, music, a little dance floor near the bar. Worth a visit. edit
- Rosy Jane, Prospekt Lenina 32-34, ☎ + 7 343 371-06-07, . edit
- Jawsspot, Turgeneva 3, . Craft beer bar and shop run by a city famous Jaws brewery. Offers the most extensible set of craft beer (including their own) in the city. Serves only beer (no food at all), but you're free to bring your own food there. edit
- Havana Club, Mamina Sibiryaka St 36, ☎ +7 343 355-94-14, . An extremely popular place in the city and among elves edit
- Alibi, Malysheva st, 74, ☎ +7 343 350-06-90, . It's a pub very busy after midnight. Better book a table if you are not alone. There is a small dance floor...it is impossible to avoid rubbing each others face! edit
You can pay hourly rates at the resting rooms (Komnaty Otdykha) at the main train station. To get there, walk to the eastern end of the station to the last and small set of glass doors. First door on the right should lead you to a set of stairs which will take you there.
- BM Hostel Yekaterinburg, Pushkin 2A, 2nd floor (City center), ☎ +7 982 6337012 ([email protected]), . checkout: 12:00. Clean hostel with helpful staff. Dorm bed: RUB450-650; Laundry service: RUB50. edit
- Discovery Hostel, 31 Radischeva str. (entrance is from Khokhryakova str.), ([email protected]), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: Noon. Nice view! Dorm bed: From RUB400. edit
- Europe Asia Yekaterinburg Hostel, Tchaikovskogo 75/216 (10 minute walk from Metro Station «Chkalovskaya»), ☎ +7 343 2102884 ([email protected]), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: Noon. 2 kitchens with all the necessary utensils. from RUB500. edit
- Indie Hostel Yekaterinburg, ul. Belinskogo 85 (bus stop «Dekabristov-Belinskogo». Turn inside the yard through the barrier and then turn left. Go upstairs and about 50 meters straight. You need the third white door of the red building. Dial «53»), ☎ +79221813185, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 12:00. A small intimate hostel with 8-bed dorm and twin room. Rooms are spacious and bright. Comfortable beds, soft blankets, clean linen and towels are available. Free-of-charge Wi-Fi, ironing facilities, washing machine and hairdryer, security lockers. The kitchen is equipped with oven, microwave, fridge. There is a booking exchange service for book lovers. A tour desk, free city maps and friendly staff. Dorm bed: From RUB550. (56,822631,60,619242) edit
- Omnomnom Hostel (Omnomnom Хостел Екатеринбург), Vaynera 60, Apartment 26 (From Metro station Geologicheskaya, walk east on Lubishevsky street and then north on Vaynera. It's at the end of the street, in a big apartment building on the 8th floor. The entrance door is behind the restaurants, and isn't marked), ☎ +7 982 6737477 ([email protected]), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: Noon. Best to call in advance and make reservations as there isn't always someone present to open the door. Beautiful dorms overlooking the Circus. 6 bed dorm: RUB500. edit
- Green Park Hotel, Narodnoi Voli Street 24, 620144 Yekaterinburg, ☎ +7 (343) 222-00-24 ([email protected], fax: +7 (343) 257-55-10), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. RUR 3,100-RUR 6,500. edit
- Moskovskaya Gorka Hotel, Moskovskaya Street 131, ☎ +7 (343) 310-00-30, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. edit
- Novotel Yekaterinburg Centre Hotel, Engels Street 7, 620075 Yekaterinburg, ☎ +7 (343) 253-53-83 ([email protected], fax: +7 (343) 253-53-84), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. edit
- Hotel Onegin, Rozy Luxemburg Street 49,, ☎ +7 (343) 310-38-38, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 12:00. There are 142 guestrooms located at the Onegin Hotel Yekaterinburg. The hotel offers standard, studio and suite room options. Amenities include, Wi-Fi, air conditioning, telephone, mini-bar, private bath and bathrobe. edit
- Ramada Hotel & Spa Yekaterinburg, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. edit
- Hotel Renommee, 8 Marta Street 50, 620014 Yekaterinburg, ☎ +7 (343) 289-46-48 ([email protected], fax: +7 (343) 289-46-38), . RUR 4,200-RUR 7,300. edit
- Voznesensky Hotel, Mamina-Sibiryaka Street 52, Yekaterinburg, ☎ +7 (343) 380-90-90 ([email protected]), . RUR 4,200-RUR 5,900. edit
- Hyatt Regency Ekaterinburg, Borisa Yeltsina Street 8, 620014 Yekaterinburg, ☎ +7 (343) 253-12-34 ([email protected]), . 296 rooms & suites with views of Cathedral-on-the-Blood and Iset River. Amenities: ergonomic work area, open bath concept, wireless internet access, tea and coffee making facilities. Regency Club Lounge for free continental breakfast, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. edit
- Park Inn by Radisson Ekaterinburg Hotel, Mamina-Sibiryaka 98, 620075 Yekaterinburg, ☎ +7 (343) 216-60-00 ([email protected]), . The Park Inn Ekaterinburg is located in the city centre, 20 kilometres from Koltsovo International Airport and nearby shopping and the business district. There is easy access to various attractions, including the Philharmonic Hall and the Literary Quarter. edit
- Armenia, Moskovskaya St 46, ☎ +7 343 212-74-01, 212-75-14. edit
- Austria, Turgeneva St, 16 / Pervomayskaya street, 13, ☎ +7 343 350-05-03 ([email protected], fax: +7 343 358-99-01), . M-F 9AM-6PM, persons 10AM-4PM. edit
- China, Chaikovskogo St, 45, ☎ +7 343 253-5780, consul issues - +7 343 253-5778 (fax: +7 343 253-5784). edit
- Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gogolya St, 15, ☎ +7 (343) 377-6338, 355-9210. edit
- France, Ofc #401, 22 Karla Libknekhta St, ☎ +7 343 253-00-81. M-F 9:30AM-1PM, 3PM-6PM. edit
- Mongolia, Marshala Zhukova St, 3, ☎ +7 343 359-8882, 371-5128 ([email protected], fax: +7 343 377-5512). edit
- Vietnam, Karla Libkhekhta St, 22, Ofc 411, ☎ +7 343 253-0280/1/2/3/4 ([email protected], fax: +7 343 253-0282). edit
- Bulgaria, Greece, Malta, Netherlands, and Spain (EU Visa Center), Karla Libknekhta St, 22, Ofc 313, ☎ +7 343 278-24-19. 9AM-4PM. edit
- Latvia (Visa service provided by Consulate of Hungary), Gogolya street, 15A, ☎ +7 343 355-92-54, 310-10-06 ([email protected], fax: +7 343 355-92-55). 10AM-5PM. edit
- Canada, Gogolya St, 15A, ☎ +7 343 31-00-136 ([email protected]). 10AM-5PM. edit
- Ganina Yama (Ганина Яма). You can visit this wooden monastery semi daily by bus tours offered right in front of the main train station building. It is situated in the north direction from the city, near the village Shuvakish (Шувакиш). You can get there by train from the main station in the direction Nizhni Tagil (Нижний Тагил). When you get off the train, go to the bridge over railways and turn right (not to the station). From the bridge turn to the right again, go, go, go and after a while you will get to the asphalt road. There turn left and go some two kilometres. edit
- Europe & Asia border monument, (Take a tour or buses 150 or 180). There are semi-daily tours offered from the main train station. If you can't make a tour, you can take bus 150 from the northern bus terminal (Северный Автовокзал) near metro station Uralskaya (Уральская). Buy your ticket for the 150 at ticket counter no. 13 (for Pevoural'sk) which is outside the main ticket hall. The 150 runs about every 20 minutes and takes about 40 minutes. Ask the driver to let you get off at the old border monument. This is common practice. (On the highway the bus speeds past the new border monument which is much less impressive - look right five minutes outside the city.) When you first get off the bus, there is a small (somewhat historical-looking) stone monument that has a red brick line where the border is. To get to the main monument, follow the tarmac path up through the wood for five minutes and you will get to a tall impressive monument where the tour buses go on the big tour. This is where Czar Alexander II is said to have stopped and opened a bottle of wine in 1837. It is a spot for weddings, so usually you will find a bride or two. After you are done taking pictures, go back down the tarmac path, cross to the other side of the highway and signal a bus driver to pick you up. Buses 150 or 180 take you back, however 180 takes you only near metro station Tsirk (Цирк). If no bus driver happens to be willing to pick you up outside a bus stop (though this is common practice), you can walk into Pervoural'sk. If you decide to walk without attempting to flag down a bus, then turn right at the big monument and walk along the small road, which joins the main road just before the town - this saves about ten minutes walking. Bus 150 stops at the first bus stop you encounter in Pevoural'sk, to take you back to Yekaterinburg. RUB50 (bus 180) or RUB87 (bus 150 in 2014) one-way, or RUB300 and upwards with a tour. edit
- Deer Streams National Park (Prirodniy Park Olenji Ruchji), Nizhnie-Serginskiy rayon, posyolok Bazhukovo (150 km W from Ekaterinburg, take tour or by bus/train), ☎ +79022550062 ([email protected]), . A hiking tour in a national park "Deer Streams". A picturesque river, cliffs, deepest cave of Sverdlovkaya Oblast region, beautiful forest. A very popular place to go among Russians both in summer and winter. Several different routes to choose from, depending on difficulty. To get by bus: take any bus that goes to Mikhailovsk (Михайловск), Arty (Арти), Urmikeevo (Урмикеево), Tulgash (Тюльгаш). Leave at the "prirodniy park Olenji Ruchji" stop. Then walk 2 kilomiters according to sign directions. By train: from the central train station take a suburban train to Druzhinino (Дружинино). From Druzhinino take another train to Bazhukovo (Бажуково). From Bazhukovo station — it is 5 minutes walk to the Park. The train goes 3 times/day. The road by bus takes 2,5 hours. By train: 4 hours> entry ticket RUB100. edit
|Routes through Yekaterinburg
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!