Dwarka : Original Dwarka believed to be sunken in the sea. Divers till today are researching, after finding the artifacts from the sea floor. Near by small island is known as Bet Dwarka- Hire a boat from Dwarka to go there.Bet Dwarka is a part mud and part sand beach. However, it's the best place for zoologists. See more details about Dwarka Temple.
Dwarka is 450 kms from Ahmedabad and is well connected by Road and Rail. The nearest Airport is at Rajkot which is 225 kms or Jamnagar which is 121 kms from Dwarka. Air India (1 nos. to & fro) & JetKonnect operate (4 nos to & fro) to Rajkot from mumbai & Air India operates one to & fro flight per day to Jamnagar from mumbai . Railway station is located almost 2 km from main Temple. Auto Fare INR 50/- for 3 persons from Dwarka Rail Station to Temple.
Local Municipal administration has "Dwarka Darshan" sight seeing non-AC bus facility -Twice a day -8 am and 2pm. INR 80/- per seat. Each trip takes about 5-6 hours. Booking office 1. Near Vegetable market 2. Bhadrakali chowk. This trip covers Nageshwar,Gopi Talab, Bet Dwarka and Rukshmani Temple.only on spot booking is available not online. You Can Book your Private car also, like Winger Non-Ac (INR 800/-), Travera AC (INR 1400/-).
Most importantly -Dwarkadhish mandir located at the heart of this small city. There are a lot of places around Dwarka which can be covered in a Single Day. There are local taxies which are available which would help you to visit them. The major ones covered are:
1. Nageshwar Temple - This is also one of the prominent Jyotirlingas and it is at around 8 Kms from Dwarka.
2. Gopi Talav - This is the place where Lord Krishna used to play with his Gopikas. There is a small pond where it is said that Lord Krishna used to play with the Gopika Strees (Gopika Women).
3. Bet Dwarka - This is the place where Krishna lived. This is the place where Krishna used to reside and this is the place where Lord Krishna met his friend Sudama and blessed him, there is a Peetha(Seat) where Lord Krishna met Sudama. The temple also has the main Dwarkadish diety which was believed to have been made by Krishna's chief Queen Rukmini and in which Meera bai merged and disappeared from the material world. There are boats available from Okha Jetty from where people are ferried to the Island which is approximately 30 Kms from Dwarka.
4. Hanuman Mandir - This is also in the Bet Dwarka where Hanuman fought with his son Makaradhwaja. To cover this place, it is adviced to start as early as 7:00 in the morning as this is lonely place and a rickshaw has to be hired to visit this place.
5. Rukmini Mandir - This temple is situated at 8 Kms from Dwarka. This is in the outskirts of the city and this is a lonely temple and there is an interesting story of Rukmini being cursed by sage Durvasa because of which the temple is situated outside the city and its because of this curse only that the water in Dwarka city is salty.
6. The Light House - Light House is famous place at sea-coast of Dwarka. One can enjoy complete silence sitting at the sea coast. Behind the Light House, there is a huge cave below the coast naturally created by striking of sea water. One can watch fishermen catching fishes in the midst of Ocean in complete silence. There is also a small Ganesh temple behind the Light House.
All these places are at an approximate radius of 80kms from Dwarka and the taxies normally charge Rs. 600 (per half day) for this. This cost does not cover the boat charges as well as other entry taxes applicable and the visit to Hanuman Temple at Bet Dwarka.
There are few other temples like Gayatri Shakti Peeth, Geeta mandir, Siddeshwar Mahadev, Bhadrakali temple, Bhadkeshwar temple. One can hire a auto for Rs. 20-30 per seat to see these places which are within 2-3 km radius. Bhadkeshwar temple is a "must see" as this place is almost surrounded by sea.
Panchtirth is on the other side of Gomti river. There are 5 small (2 feet X 3 feet) wells within 500 meters range. Water of each well has different taste. Water is not salty though there is sea surrouding this area.
Take a plunge into Gomti river, adjacent to Dwarkadhish Temple. Its really refreshing. Salty water? -Don't bother, you can have fresh water bath at nearby private bathing facilities or its good if your lodge is nearby this river. Visit the Dwarkadheesh Temple which is also called as the Jagad Mandir.
Enter temple through river side which has 52 steps. Electronic items not allowed inside temple. Join people if you find them chanting "Dwarkadhish ki Jai" "Nand ke anand bhayo, Jai kanhayya lal ki".
You may take help of official guides (having ID cards hanging) who will explain the significance of stucture and temples. You need not pay them anything.
Note the dress colour of the main deity. It will be white on friday, blue on saturday ( 7 colours for 7 days of a week) Look for the colour of the flag. Not surprising to see some one changing the flag. It is changed 5 times a day.
Join the young brahman students reciting "Shri Vishnu sahashsranama" in the morning. Don't miss the Aarti.
hire a boat to cross Gomti River (Rs.10/- per seat). If you are lucky, and its low-tide you can walk and cross river with knee deep water.
Pay Rs.25 at the temple counter and buy prasadam which was offered to God.
Decorative items made from marine shells.
There are not many places/ Restaurants. Arti Restaurant near Dwarikadheesh Temple serves good food. Sharanam near Bhadrakali chowk is good AC restaurant with reasonable price. Depend on 5-6 small restaurants or Roadside Dhabhas/ eatouts also available.
Alcohol is prohibited in Dwarka. Do not expect any place to serve alcohol here. Drink hot milk at night at Shyam-Sunder Milk Parlor near Dwarikadheesh Temple.
Many small, medium, budget lodges at walking distance from temple. 2-3 Luxury hotels also. Many Dharmashalas available if you are travelling in group. May charge Rs. 25 - 50/- per person.
Hotel Dwarkesh is budget hotel - 5 minutes walk. Telephonic booking in 2-3 days advance. Hotel City Palace, Dwarka. 5 minutes walk from Dwarkadheesh temple.
To get more information about the Temple, you may contact.
The Administrator Shree Dwarkadhish Temple Dwarka : 361 335 Dist.: Jamnagar Gujarat- India Phone:+91 - 2892 - 234090.
Timings: 9:00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. 3.00 p.m. to 6.10 p.m. On all the working days except Public Holidays.
Don't rely much on state bus. The state bus station officers does not have information on incoming and out going buses. The tea shops outside bus station has much better info.