Dunedin is a city in Pinellas County.
Dunedin (/dəˈniːdɨn/) is a city in Pinellas County, Florida, United States. The name comes from Dùn Èideann, the Scottish Gaelic name for Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. As of 2004, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 36,632. Dunedin is home to several beaches, including Dunedin Causeway, Honeymoon Island, and Caladesi Island State Park, which is consistently rated among the best beaches in the world. Dunedin is one of the few open waterfront communities from Sarasota to Cedar Key where buildings do not completely obscure the view of the Intercoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico beyond; a 1-mile stretch of Edgewater Drive (also known as Alternate US 19) south of downtown offers views of St. Joseph Sound, Clearwater Beach, and Caladesi Island. Downtown Clearwater and Clearwater Beach are a six mile drive down Edgewater.
The quaint, but thriving downtown business district is striking in comparison to neighboring Florida communities for its absence of commercial signage and corporate franchise restaurants and retail stores. The Pinellas Trail, a 39-mile long bicycle and pedestrian trail that traverses all of Pinellas County, bisects downtown Dunedin. Bicyclists are a common sight in the business district.
Since 1977, Dunedin is the spring training home of the Toronto Blue Jays, as well as the class-A Minor League Dunedin Blue Jays of the Florida State League. Dunedin is one of the smallest communities used by Major League spring training teams. Dunedin Stadium is situated next to the Dunedin Public Library--a few blocks south of downtown on Douglas Avenue--and is just two blocks east of Edgewater Drive.
Pinellas Trail / Walking - Bicycle Path
Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority (http://www.psta.net/) https://www.facebook.com/ridepsta
Runs Once an Hour
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ONLY
A bit before the top of the hour
At Trolley Stop Signs on Main Street,
Near Pioneer Park
Walking - Dunedin is very pedestrian friendly, offering many shops and resturants in the main downtown area.
- Downtown Dunedin. Shop, eat, & drink like a local. edit
- Dunedin Historical Society. edit
- Fine Arts Center. edit
- Honeymoon Island State Park. edit
- Caladesi Island. edit
- Municipal Marina. edit
- Dunedin Highlands Games. Scottish Heritage Games held in April. edit
- Celtic Festival. November edit
- Mardi Gras Festival. Downtown event, on Fat Tuesday. edit
- Dunedin Wines the Blues Festival. Downtown event in November. edit
- Downtown Dunedin, Main Street and Douglas Avenue, . City sponsored and non-profit events and news. edit
- Jolli Mons Grill, 941 Huntley Avenue (Look for the Holiday Inn Express along alt 19, and you aren't far away.), ☎ (727) 735-0498. Seafood and southern cuisine. Located next to the Pinellas County Trail. Indoor and outdoor seating. edit
- Kelly's For Just About Anything. edit
- Flanagan's Irish Pub. edit
- Lonni's Original Sandwiches. edit
- Delco's Original Steaks & Hoagies. edit
- Serendipity Cafe, 664 Main Street, Dunedin, Florida, . Tue - Thu: 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Fri: 8:00 am - 3:00 pm 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm Sat: 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Sun: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. Focusing on whole grains, organic fruits and veggies, and humanely raised antibiotic and hormone free meats. They are a dedicated gluten free facility. edit
- Dunedin Brewery, 937 Douglas Ave, ☎ 727-736-0606, . Florida's Oldest Microbrewery - Craft Beer, Pub Food, Live Music edit
- Dunedin House of Beer, 927 A Broadway, ☎ (727)-216-6318, . edit
- Best Western -Yacht Harbor Inn, 150 Marina Plaza, ☎ 727-733-4121, . edit
- Coconut Villas of Dunedin, ☎ 727-422-2739, . edit
- Holiday Inn Express, 975 Broadway Street, ☎ 727-450-1200, . edit
- Seaside Artisan Motel, 1064 Broadway Street, ☎ 727-736-4657, . edit
- Amberlee Motel, 1035 Broadway Street, ☎ 727-733-3228 . edit
- Palm Court Motel, 2090 Bayshore Boulevard, ☎ (800) 736-6755, . edit
- Beso Del Sol Resort, 1420 Bayshore Boulevard, ☎ (727) 734-8851 , . edit
- Comfort Suites (Clearwater), 1941 Edgewater Drive (Just South of Downtown Dunedin), ☎ (727) 489-5000 . edit