Dubbo is a town in the Central West of New South Wales, Australia.
Dubbo is 4 hours from Lithgow on the Great Western and Mitchell Highways, and 6 hr from Sydney.
Dubbo is 4 hr from Newcastle (via the New England and Golden Highways).
Dubbo is roughly half way between Melbourne and Brisbane on the direct inland route, bypassing Sydney.
Countrylink operates an XPT train service (6.5 hr) between Sydney and Dubbo daily.
Daily Sydney 07:10 to Dubbo 13:40
Daily Dubbo 14:10 to Sydney 20:49
There is an additional coach connection to Lithgow (connecting with the Cityrail service) and a coach connection to Cootamundra (connecting to the Sydney to Melbourne XPT).
The Dubbo Regional Airport is 7 km NW of Dubbo off the Mitchell Hwy with 4-11 flights daily.
Regional Express flies to Dubbo from Sydney and Broken Hill.
Qantaslink flies between Sydney and Dubbo.
Greyhound operates coaches to Dubbo from Brisbane, Melbourne and Moree. There is also a direct coach service from Newcastle.
Countrylink runs daily coaches to Broken Hill, Lightning Ridge, Nyngan, Parkes, Orange, Bathurst and Lithgow. It also runs coaches to Brewarrina, Bourke and Coolabah 4 times a week. There is also a coach to Canberra changing at Cootamundra.
A free 'Cycleways of Dubbo' map is available from Dubbo City Council with recommended bike routes in and around town.
There is an easy off-road cycleway from the centre of Dubbo out to the Western Plains Zoo, then you can use your bike to cycle around the zoo as well.
Dubbo Buslines http://http://www.dubbobuslines.com.au/ runs regular buses on 6 routes South, North-East, West, Firgrove/Richmond/Wongarbon and Central South.
The Western Plains Zoo is only 6km SW from town, and it is quite economical to catch a taxi there. You can hire a bicycle at the zoo to get around when you get there.
- The Taronga Western Plains Zoo, 1 Obley Road, ph +61 2 6882 5888, . This large open range zoo, one of the finest zoos in New South Wales, has both exotic and native animals, including elephants, giraffes, and the rare black rhinos currently the focus of a breeding program at the zoo. It is the biggest attraction of tourists to the city. The Zoo is quite large, and it is both useful and fun to hire a bicycle to get around. There are variety of styles, child seats, baskets and trailers for hire at the entrance, or a cycleway stretches all the way from town. Admission is $46 adults, $23 children 4-15, $32.50 concessions and free for children under 4. Tickets are valid for entry on two consecutive days. Open 0900 - 1600hrs. You can sleep over in the zoo and have breakfast with the animals.
- The Old Dubbo Gaol, 90 Macquarie Street, ph +61 2 6801 4460, . Open 0900 - 1600hrs daily, except Christmas Day. A 19-century jail restored and re-opened for tourism in 1974. Admission is $15 adults, $5 children 4-15, $12 concessions and free for children under 4.
- The Western Plains Cultural Centre 76 Wingewarra Street, htpp://www.wpccdubbo.org.au. Art gallery and museum with free entry for most exhibits, frequent art openings, and a good cafe. Open 0800 - 1700hrs, closed Tuesdays.
- Dundullimal Homestead 23L Obley Rd (10km south). The oldest slab house in Australia was built in the 1840s and is now a National Trust property. Open Tue-Thu 1000 - 1600hrs
- Dubbo Kart Club, Ph: +61 2 6884 5321 Mob: 0428480714. Home of the Lincoln County Raceway, the Dubbo Kart Club . Has hire karts available and hosts Local, State, National and International karting events. Contact the club for details: PO Box 1592, Dubbo, NSW 2830 AUSTRALIA.
- Farmer’s Markets On the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every Month, near the Dubbo Tourist Information Centre. Fresh Produce, poultry, coffee, jams, preserves, Olive Oil, sourdough bread, etc.
- Western Plains Riding Centre, 8R Merrilea Road, offers trail rides on gentle horses with experienced escorts. Take a relaxing one hour ride overlooking Dubbo or a two hour ride on stock reserves to Mugga Hill or a half day ride to the Talbragar River.
- sSs BBQ Barns, corner of Darling and Cobra Street, ☎ +61 2 6884 3333 ([email protected], fax: (02) 6884 3717), . Wonderful steakhouse with country atmosphere, food and service. edit
- Two Doors, Macquarie St. Wine and tapas bar - great service and excellent food. Mid to high price range. edit
There are a number of pubs and bars in Dubbo, with The Commercial Hotel, The Pastoral Hotel, Milestone, Western Star, Macquarie Inn and Dubbo RSL to name just a few, attracting quite a few locals and tourists on weekends.
Dubbo is a popular stopping off point, and has a large range of accommodation. Except at the busiest times of year, its possible to get motel accommodation on a drive up basis on the main roads into town.
- Ampalee Bed and Breakfast, 11R Dunedoo Rd, +61 2 6885 5366, . Self contained units located outside of Dubbo Proper. $150+$20 each over 2 people. Not kid friendly.
- Cascades Motor Inn, 147 Cobra Street, 61 2 6882 3888, . All rooms equipped with queen-sized bed, telephone, television, air-conditioning system, dial-up and Nomad wireless broadband. Rates start at $112.
- Aberdeen Motor Inn, 25 Cobra St., (02)6884 1700, . Rooms, suites and family apartments located on Cobra street Dubbo.
- Blue Gum Inn, 109 Cobra Street, +61 2 6882 0900. Has several kid's rooms 2a and 3 kids.
- Blue Diamond Motor Inn, is walking distance to the station, if you are arriving by train and want a nearby place to stay.
- Dubbo Cabins and Caravan Park, 154 Whylandra Street, +61 2 6884 8633, .
- Fountain View Motel, 113-115 Cobra St. opposite Elston Park, +61 2 6882 9777, . Affordable accommodation.
- Quality Dubbo International, 165 Whylandra St Dubbo NSW. +61 2 68824777. . 60 rooms including suites, kitchen suite, family rooms, interconnecting rooms, and special designed rooms for guests with a disability. These rooms all have remote control television units, tea and coffee facilities, iron and ironing board, Free wireless broadband Internet, independent air conditioning units and Foxtel TV. All of the rooms have an electronic coded door locking system.
- Australian Heritage Motor Inn, ☎ 61 2 6884 1188 ([email protected]), . The Australian Heritage Motor inn is a 4 Star rated accommodation standard with 23 suite motels and 4 cottage style units. Cnr Brisbane and Cobra Streets Dubbo, NSW. Rates start at $128. edit
Mudgee 128km SE (1.5hrs) from Dubbo, offers a fantastic historical heritage and a host of great small wineries.
Wellington Caves and phosphate mines make a good day trip. Wellington itself is a pretty town, and well worth a visit itself.