The Tivoli Theatre downtown
Downers Grove is a village in Chicagoland. With a 2005 population of 48,995, Downers Grove has developed into a major Chicago suburb. It contains the headquarters of many major companies, including Sara Lee and Butterball, and has a bustling, trendy downtown.
Downers Grove is located at the intersection of I-88 and I-355, giving it a very easily accessible location. In addition it has three Metra stations on the BNSF line (Main St., Fairview Ave., and Belmont), connecting it to Chicago Union Station and Aurora.
Car is the best way to get around, but Downers Grove does have extensive PACE Bus service throughout town (Routes 461, 462, 463, and 464) and to Oak Park (Rt. 313) and Joliet (Rt. 834). Fares are generally $1.50 per ride.
- Downtown Downers Grove is, like many other suburban downtowns, clustered around the Metra Station. Most of the shops are along Main St. The downtown is a decent size with plenty of unique stores and restaurants, including a brewery.
- Tivoli Theatre is a French and 1920's style movie palace that plays second-run movies. It opened in 1928 as only the second theater in the world designed for sound motion pictures. On weekends you can listen to the music of a Wurlitzer pipe organ before the movies begin.
- St. Therese Shrine in nearby Darien, is dedicated to Therese Martin, a French Carmelite nun who wrote Story of a Soul. Her admirers travel here from around the world to see her prayer book and other artifacts.
- Belmont Prairie is a 10.4 acre nature reserve with 135 species of plant and animal wildlife. A nature trail provides pedestrian access and is served by a six-car parking lot located on Cross St.
- Anderson's Bookshop, 5112 Main St., . has a decent book selection, but the real fun is finding signed books and going to the sponsored author visits and readings. edit
- Brain Snacks, 5239 Carpenter St., . is a small shop in a house that has primarily mystery and history books. edit
The Downers Grove National Bank
- Ballydoyle Irish Pub & Restaurant has a comfortable atmosphere, live music, and good food including Guiness Stew and Corned Beef (yes, it's not real Irish food, but it's still delicious).
- Stillwater Restaurant and Wine Bar has a romantic setting with generous portions.
- Eagle Restaurant on Maple Ave., which has been owned by the same Greek family for years, has some of the best gyros around as well as classic Chicago fare like hot dogs, Italian beef, and Polish sausage.
- Giordano's Chicago-style pizza has an outlet downtown.
- Emmet's Ale House downtown is an inviting place for food and beer. Emmet's is a microbrewery where you can not only eat and drink but also check out the tanks where the beer is brewed. If you don't know what to try they have a "Sampler Paddle" for a taste of several of their beers.
- Comfort Inn, 3010 Finley Rd., . has 121 rooms and is a couple of miles from the Morton Arboretum in Lisle as well as I-88 and I-355. edit
- Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, 1500 Opus Place Downers Grove, IL 60515, ☎ +1-630-852-1500, . checkin: 15:00; checkout: 12:00. Offering all-suite room accommodations and located between O’Hare and Midway airports. Features on property indoor pool, restaurant and bar. $99 USD and above. edit
- Lisle next door has the beautiful Morton Arboretum.
- Woodridge to the south has Hollywood Boulevard, an upscale movie theater with dining options, alcohol, and visiting stars.
- Lombard to the north has Yorktown Mall.
|Routes through Downers Grove
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!