Dojran is a touristic pearl in Eastern Macedonia. It is made up of two fisherman's towns; Nov Dojran (settled from the end of World War I to World War II) and Star Dojran, which contains both old ruins and recent construction, especially hotels, resorts and restaurants.
The only ways to get in are by car or by bus.
Walking or using a car is the best ways to get around because Dojran is a small town.
- Dojran Lake - the lake is 42 square km (16 sq mi) big, and about 10 meters (33 ft) deep. It is by far the smallest of the three major lakes in Macedonia.
- St. Ilja - built in 1874 in the northern part of Dojran. The current state of the church; fragments of paintings, suggests that the church walls were originally covered with frescos. Dojran is also significant archaeologically, due to numerous discoveries and excavations of marble plates with Greek inscriptions, remainders of walls, and coins and tombs with epitaphs.
- Clock Tower - was built in the 14th century. According to the legend passed down through many generations, the tower was built by Evrenos-beg, in honor of the conquest of Dojran. During the First World War, the tower was partially destroyed, and it remains in the same condition today.
- Turkish Bath - is in the upper part of the city, inhabited by the Turkish population, in the past. The time of construction is not known.
Dojran is great for fishing, swimming, and other beach activities since it is on Dojran Lake.
Dojran is the only place where you can eat fish baked on straws. Here is a list of some popular restaurants in Dojran:
- Fuk-Tak, Tel: 389-225-320.
- Prezident Pizzeria, Tel: 389-225-146.
- Restaurant Babarela, Tel: 389-071-560-556 -the best traditional hot meals in the town from €1 to €3
Dojran has several beautiful hotels on the lake. Most are located in Star Dojran. Some nice hotels in Dojran are:
- Villa Dojrana, luxury Villa located in the heart of Star Dojran, tel: +389 71 584 186, e-mail:[email protected]
- Atlantik, Tel: 389-34-225-660. this four star hotel is the finest in all of Dojran.
- Polin, Tel: 389-34-225-770. €18/person/night (Apr-2008)
- Istatov, Tel: 389-34-227-556. €20/person/night (Apr-2008)
- Nota, Star Dojran, ☎ 389-34-225-456. edit