Djibouti (جيبوتي) is the capital city of Djibouti and has a population of around 400,000.
The city was founded in 1888 and was designated the capital of French Somaliland three years later. The city has some beaches along its eastern shore.
Ambouli Airport (JIB) serves the city, and there are regular flights by Air France (to Paris-CDG), Ethiopian Airways (Addis Abeba), Kenya Airways (Nairobi via Addis Abeba) and Turkish Airlines (Istanbul-Ataturk) flights. There are also regular flights with Fly Dubai (to UAE-Dubai-DXB terminal 2).
Passenger services to Addis Ababa resumed in January 2017.
Get around by Green TaxiCabs. Some people will tell you to avoid the taxis with the drivers chewing Khat. Khat is not a narcotic, but a stimulant (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat). It gives the local Djiboutians and Somalis something called Merran (the Somali word for 'energy').
Taxis range from 500fr to any amount, depending on how far you go.
- Camp Lemonier to Downtown 1,500FR
- Downtown to Kempinski 2,000FR
- Base to Kempinski 2,500FR
Again, negotiate and you may get a lower price, but there are better things to do than to argue over 500fr (3 American dollars).
- Beaches on the eastern shore.
- Aden Bay Casino, ☎ +253-356549. Open Fri-Wed 6PM-4AM, Thu 6PM-5AM. Located in the Sheraton Hotel, this casino sports 40 poker machines, black jack, poker and roulette tables. edit
Melting Pot is a fusion cuisine restaurant located in Heron not far from the port and 50m from Kempinsky Hotel.
On the menu, camel meat, sushi, sashimi, fish, lobster, crab, and best steaks in Djibouti. Cold beers, fresh mojitos. Nice atmosphere with outdoor and indoor setting. Organized events like all you can eat sushi night, welcome big groups.
For more information check
Email: [email protected] Phone +253 21350399
Taxi From Camp Lemonier 1000fdj in the day in the night 2000 fdj
- La Mer Rouge Restaurant, Ambouli, Nelson Mandela (walking distance from camp lemonier), . 11-23. La Mer Rouge is the seafood restaurant in Djibouti. With a great location, walking distance from Camp Lemonier and not far from airport and BA188. Nice outdoor and indoor settings. On the menu live crabs, lobsters, fresh fish, clams and many treasures from the Red Sea. Choose your fish and have it cooked in a traditional Yemenite clay oven,or on acacia wood. Try a surf and turf, or a grilled calamari. Check the menu on the website http://lamerrougedj.com Email at lamerrougedj.com Call at +253 21340005 4$up. edit
- Club Hermes. Underground club, low key. Good security at the door. 1,000 Djiboutian francs per beer. edit
- Sham's. Decent DJ, small dance floor. 1,000 Djiboutian francs/beer and 1,500 Djiboutian francs for mixed drinks. edit
- Club Menelik. Inside the Menelik Hotel, security is good here. Drinks are 1,000 Djiboutian francs/beer & 1,500 Djiboutian francs/mixed drink. The wide rannge of music here, but often times consists of '90's to current hip-hop & R&B. edit
- La Mer Rouge, Ambouli (near airport), ☎ +253 340005. For genuine seafood lovers, a new restaurant specialized in seafood: crab, fresh fish (snapper, king fish, shark, grouper, etc.), live lobster, clams and mussels. 10. (30,) edit
- La Galette. La Galette. Wonderful Underground Club... 1,000 Franc Beers, 1,500 Franc Mixed Drinks and 1,000 Francs for sheesha (hookah). edit
- La Oasis. Nice place with a second, smaller bar upstairs. edit
- Le Maries. Nice place with a dance floor in the front alongside a bar. In the back are a bunch of couches where all the Sheesha smoking takes place (again, 1,000 francs to participate). edit
- Golden Club. This place could hold a special place in your heart... 1,000 Franc Beers, Pool for 500 Francs and a dancefloor. The best sheesha in Djibouti here also (of course, for 1,000 francs). No trip is complete without stopping in there. edit
- La Mer Rouge Restaurant, ambouli (near camp lemonier, airoport), ☎ +25321350299, . 11-23. LLa Mer Rouge is the seafood restaurant in Djibouti. With a great location, walking distance from Camp Lemonier and not far from airport and BA188. Nice outdoor and indoor settings. On the menu live crabs, lobsters, fresh fish, clams and other food from the Red Sea. Choose you fish and have it cooked in a traditional Yemenite clay oven on acacia wood. Try a surf and turf, or a grilled calamari. Website http://www.lamerrougedj.com Email at lamerrougedj.com Call at +253 21340005 4$up. edit
- Capital Hotel (Capital Hotel), ☎ +253-21355353. edit
- Djibouti Palace Kempinski (Ilot Du Heron), ☎ +253-325555, . edit
All cab rides are different (none is the same). Make sure you go with someone who knows the city; otherwise, you will pay way more than needed.
Discuss the fee in advance. Only enter the taxi once agreed on the price