Dinkelland is a municipality in the region of Twente, in Overijssel. It is formed by the towns of Ootmarsum, Denekamp and Weerselo. The three towns are very small and provide a truly scenic view of the region of Twente. Main attractions are the medieval town of Ootmarsum, the former monastery Het Stift in Weerselo, and some historical buildings from Denekamp.
It is known that Ootmarsum exists at least since the 800s, and the town was named in 917. Ootmarsum was an important city during the Middle Ages, and it gained city rights from the bishop of Utrecht around 1300. The lack of canals and railways excluded Ootmarsum from the industrial development of the region of Twente, as well as preventing it from being targeted by contemporary wars. That would turn Ootmarsum into a town frozen in time.
Denekamp was named in 1276, and historically functioned as a rural village. Unlike other towns and villages in the region, Denekamp maintained the Roman catholic faith during the Reform period.
To get to Ootmarsum, take bus 64 at either Almelo or Oldenzaal train stations. To get to Denekamp, take bus 62 at Oldenzaal. An one-way trip costs about €2 with an OV-chipkaart, €4 with a paper ticket.
From the Oldenzaal train station (where you can rent a bicycle), the distance to Weerselo is about 8 km, to Denekamp 9.5 km and to Ootmarsum 12 km.
- Openluchtmuseum Ootmarsum, Smithuisstraat 2, Ootmarsum, ☎ 0541-293099, . 10-17. The open air museum of Ootmarsum is a small version of the one in Arnhem. The museum is open everyday between february and october, and only on weekdays and school vacation during the rest of the year. As its larger version, it contains replicas of old houses and farming facilities, as well as expositions of old objects and paintings from the region. €5,50. edit
- N. H. kerk Ootmarsum, Ganzenmarket, Ootmarsum. A protestant church built in 1810-1811, when Napoleon gave the catholics their church back. It is built in neoclassic style and attracts attention due to its peculiar facade. Check VVV Ootmarsum for visit times. edit
- Het Kerkplein, Ootmarsum. The central square of Ootmarsum contains, besides the R. K. kerk, the largest sundial of the World, various sculptures, and it is surrounded by cozy cafes and restaurants. Two times per year, the tower of the R. K. kerk casts a shadow that extends exactly to the tower of the Oude Stadhuis. edit
- Tijdhuis, Gasthuisstraat 16, Ootmarsum, ☎ 0541-292211, . The "Time House" of Ootmarsum is both an atelier and a gallery for artistic clocks. The owner of the atelier, Bote Holman, has made the sundial of Ootmarsum and many other across the World, winning an international contest in 2008. edit
- Natura Docet, Oldenzaalstraat 39, Denekamp, ☎ 0541-351325, . mon-fri, 10-17, sat-sun 11-17. It is the oldest regional natural history museum of Netherlands, existing since 1911. It also contains a cozy garden and a cafe. €2,50-5. edit
- Huis Singraven, Molendijk 37, Denekamp, ☎ 0541-351906, . A manor constructed at least before 1381. It belonged to the bishop of Utrecht, then became an abbey, and afterwards a private house with various different owners. Now it is a museum containing mainly furniture, paintings, books and other objects from the XVII and XVIII centuries. € 8, € 3 park. edit
- Watermolen Singraven, Molendijk, Denekamp, ☎ 0541-351906, . A watermill constructed in 1448, containing three mills, for an oilmill, a cornmill and a sawmill - with the last two being still in operation. A painting of the mills, drawn by Meindert Hobbema, lies in the Louvre. edit
- Het Stift, Het Stift 21, Weerselo, ☎ [email protected], . A collection of historical buildings maitained by the Protestant church, with the oldest, the church, dating from the XII century. Initially an catholic abbey, it turned into a protestant abbey during the Reform. One of the buildings was turned into a restaurant. edit
- Bakspieker, Jonkershoesweg 4, Breklenkamp (northeast of Ootmarsum). A curious bakehouse with a tree emerging from its roof. The tree is actually a oak 300 hundred years old, and the bakehouse is from 1738. The bakehouse covered the tree when expanded in 1900. edit
- Cosmos Sterrenwacht Dinkelland, Frensdorferweg 22, Lattrop (northeast of Ootmarsum), ☎ 0541-229700, . tue-fri, 12:30-17:30, sat, 19:30-22:00. An activity for astronomy fans, adults and kids. Contains a public telescope (the largest of the Netherlands), a planetarium and a garden representing the universe. free to €5,50. edit
- Gildenwerkplaats het Dinkelwerk, Denekamperstraat 49, Beuningen (southwest of Denekamp), ☎ 0541-355955, . tue-fri 10-17, sat 10-16, sun 13-17. A traditional craftmanship guild, selling authentic handcraft from Twente including candles, gold and copper work, and Tiffany art glass. Also acommodates a candle museum. edit