Dindigul  is a city and the headquarters of Dindigul district in Southwestern Tamil Nadu.
Dindigul district was carved out of the composite Madurai District in 1985
The travelers to the villages in this area are advised to pick up a few essential sentences in the local language Tamil as many do not speak English although familiar with a few English words.
The nearest airports are at Madurai (1.5 hours away) and Trichy.
Madurai Airport or Trichy Airport. Dindigul city is approximately 60 km from Madurai.
Dindigul junction is on the main train route from Chennai-Madurai-Kanyakumari and is approximately 440 kilometres from Chennai.
Kodaikanal road station is approximately 22 kilometres from Dindigul Junction
Dindigul is on the NH7 highway from Chennai to Madurai.
Thalaiyar (Dum Dum) Falls View
- Dindigul Fort - This 280-foot-tall fort was constructed in 1605 by Madurai King Muthi Krishna Naicker and Thirumalai Naicker. It was a witness to many wars between rulers like Tipu Sultan and the English men.
- Sirumalai - Hill Resort - This is an economical Hill resort and a picnic spot for weary travellers. This is on the way to Natham 25 kms from Dindigul city. This place is accessible from Madurai also. Though the uphill journey is for a brief time, the 18 hair pin bends provide the real thrilling experience, characteristic of a trip to a hill station. The entire locale is green and lush and the climate is cool / warm. Sirumalai provides an opportunity to go on trekking and hiking. Beautiful scenic view of saathiyar river basin and Dindigul town delight the visitors. Vellimalai Temple, which is recently renovated, is the famous destination for devotees. Sanjeevi Hills, famous in Indian Epic Ramayana is also in the vicinity. Bus service and private cabs are available from Dindigul city.
- Gandhigram Rural Univeristy - Established in 1956 under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 of the Government of India, Gandhigram Rural Univeristy was founded by Gandhians Dr.T.S.Soundaram and Dr.G.Ramachandran. They followed the Mahatma Gandhi’s revolutionary concept of ‘Nai Talim’ system of education. Gandhigram Rural Institute has developed academic programmes in Rural Development, Rural Economics and Extension Education, Rural Oriented Sciences, Cooperation, Development Administration, Rural Sociology, English and Communicative Studies, and, Tamil and Indian Languages. The Gandhigram Rural Institute has a campus of nearly 200 acres in a rural setting, nestling in one of the enclaves of the beautiful Sirumalai range. To its West are chains of mountains including the beautiful Kodaikanal Hill Station. Lying North of Madurai, Gandhigram is easily accessible by rail and road. The climate of the place is pleasant all through the year and the panorama of nature surrounding Gandhigram is pleasing to the eye and inspiring to the soul. The nearest railway station is 2 km away in Ambathurai, the nearest railway junction is 11 km away from Dindigul accessible by both broad guage and meter guage, and, the nearest major town is Dindigul. The nearest airport is Madurai which is approximately 65 km by road. Gandhigram is located south of Dindigul by about 11 km and north of Madurai city approximately by 55 km.
- Thadikombu - Perumal Temple - This is 5 Km. from Dindigul on the way to Karur. The main deity is Lord Alagar and the main festival is during the Tamil month of Chitrai.(April-May)
- Begambur Big Mosque - This is a famous mosque in Begambur and is around 200-300 years old. The Phone number is 0451-2402086
- Sri Kottai Mariamman Kovil - This is an ancient temple believed to be 200 years old and the idol is believed to have been installed by the King Tipu Sultan. There are many deities in this temple like Mariamman which is the main deity, Vinayaka, Muruga, Madurai Veeran, Kali and Durga. The temple structure is in the form of a square. The temple is run by a board of Trustees.
- Kasi Visalakshi-Vishwanathar Temple in Kunnuvarankottai or Kunnapatti (Pronounced as "Kannapatti") is eight kilometers from Batlagundu on the Batlagundu-Usilampatti road. (It is to be noted that locals pronounce the village name as Kunnuvarankottai or "Kannapatti" (Tamil:கண்ணாப்பட்டி. This area is also referred in the biography of Sri Sacchidananda Bharathi-I). This is the birth place of the 25th Pontiff of the Sringeri Sarada Peetam Sri Sacchidananda Bharathi I. There are regular buses every 30 minutes from Batlagundu bus stand to Usilampatti (the bus stop is better known as Kannapatti(Tamil:கண்ணாப்பட்டி)). It is advisable to visit the temple in the mornings from 7:30 am - 11:30 am. Shri V.Viswanathan is the priest of this temple. The phone number is +91-4543-227572 if called from outside India and 04543-227572 if called within India. One main advantage of this temple is that it is just very close (walkable distance) to the main Batlagundu - Usilamapatti road and is easily accessible to devotees. There are budget restaurants in Batlagundu that serve South-Indian dishes. An added attraction is the point of confluence of the three rivers Vaigai, Manjalaru and Maruda. It is pertinent to note that the river Vaigai flows northward near this village. This is an important pilgrimage point where devotees take holy bath in the rivers during auspicious days.
- Kamakshiamman Temple in Devadanapatti is eight kilometers away on the Batlagundu-Peryakulam road. The deity here is called as Moongilanai Kamakshi. There are regular buses from Batlagundu bus stand (every 10 minutes) to Periyakulam. (the bus stop is Devadanapatti).
- Athoor: Kamarajar Lake - The Kamarajar Lake is situated in the western part of Athoor Village located in the Kamarajar Valley in Western Ghats. There are places to stay near the lake. They are 'Candle House Resort' a family home stay, 'Double Dutch Resort' and 'Cardamom House' located in the border of Athoor Kamarajar Lake. Athur is a village 3 km west of Sempatti in between Dindigul and Batlagundu. Sembatti is 12 km south-west of Dindigul and 48 km north of Madurai. The Kodaganar River, a tributary of river Kaveri runs through the village. There is a cave temple here for Lord Sadayandi, another ancient Kasi Viswanatha temple and a 50 year old beautiful catholic church.
- Dindigul - St.Joseph Church - This 100-year-old church was constructed between 1866 to 1872. This is the head church of all other Roman Catholic churches in Dindigul District. The Phone number is +91-451-2423557
- Dindigul - Nagal Nagar perumal Temple - This is a Vishnu temple which is in Nagal nagar near the Railway station.
- The travelers to this area can visit the various scenic spots near the rivers, dams and picnic spots.
- Trekking in Sirumalai, Kodaikanal Hills
- The devotees can visit many temples in the area near Batlagundu, and Dindigul.
- Dindigul is famous for locks.
- Locks: Dindigul is known for good quality and durable Iron-lock steel safes. Dindigul locks are sold to local, national, and international markets.
- Sarees: Silk Sarees and Sungudi Sarees can be bought here
- Brass Vessels and Jewellery can be bought in Nilakottai & Dindigul
- Cardamom and Coffee are famous in Pattiveeranpatti near Batlagundu
There are a few budget restaurants that serve South Indian Vegetarian dishes.
Visitors to Dindigul district can eat in restaurants in Dindigul.
Dindigul is famous for its Briyani which is quite distinct from those in other parts of the country. The recipe is believed to have been passed on by an Iranian national. However, since then the recipe has become more localised.
- Venu's Briyani - is the most popular restaurant that serves this unique dish
- Thalappakatti - is equally famous and has a longer history
- Koli Nadar - is a non-veg restaurant that offers a wide variety
There are many budget restaurants that serve south Indian dishes in Dindigul city. Some of them are:
- AryaBhavan, Bus Stand
- AshokBhavan, Main road
- SaravanaBhavan, Bus Stand
- Sri Lakshmi Vilas Hotel, 36 A , Koil Street, Dindigul-624003 (Near Abirami Koil), ☎ +91 -451-2433349. edit
- Hotel Rajendra (Owner - P Alagarsamy), 174/G Main road, Dindigul-624001, ☎ +91 - 451-2433947. edit
- Hotel Mahajyothy, 1111/1B-17 Spencer Compound Dindigul, ☎ +91 - 451-2434317. edit
- Hotel Malajyothy, 1111/1B-17 , Spencer Compund, Dindigul, ☎ +91 - 451-2434316. edit
- Hotel Parvathy's Pvt Ltd., 14, Koil street, Dindigul, ☎ +91-451-2435426. edit
- Hotel Padma Pvt Ltd, Trichy road, Dindigul-624007, ☎ +91-451-2430541. edit
- Hotel Vales Park, 49A, Dindigul-624003, ☎ 943. edit
- Hotel Suganya A/C with lodge (Karpagam M), 43, 2 Dindigul-2 (Near Bus stand), ☎ +91-451-2429675. edit
- Dhalphin Hotels (Ramalingam P), 14 Chatram street, Dindigul-3 ((Near Periyar Statue), ☎ +91-451-2433463. edit
- Hotel Aruna (Rengasamy K), 259 Main road, Dindigul (Near Periyar Statue), ☎ +91-451-2433463. edit
- The Dindigul Parvathy Natarajan Hotel, Dindigul-624001, ☎ +91-451-2433349. edit
- Hotel Sree Baalaaji Bhavan (Pure Veg) A/c, Dindigul-624001, ☎ +91 451 2427454, +91 98946 24274. edit
There are many lodging options in Dindigul. Visitors to Dindigul district can stay in Hotels in Dindigul and Dindigul district. Request travelers to add more details who stay here.
- Wild Rock Hill House, Sirumalai Hills, Dindigul, Sirumalai Hills, Dindigul (Sirumalai is on the way to Natham 25 km from Dindigul City and 90 km from Madurai), ☎ 0451-2470454. Go on a Picnic or plan a getaway with your extended family. Go Mountaineering, trekking, Hiking or bird watching. Visit the recently renovated Vellimalai temple Visit the Sanjeevi Hills, a storehouse of herbs, considered to be a part of Hanuman's Sanjeevani Hills. USP - Heights of Delight- Rs 5000 for a Single room and Rs 20000 for Bungalow rental. food charges extra.. edit
- Lakeside (Kamarajar Lake), Athoor post, Dindigul District (From Sembatti Crossing, take the Palani road and turn left to reach Athoor village. Follow the signposts of the resort thereafter.), ☎ 0451-3202817, 09894563935. Lakeside is 6 KM from Athoor Village. Athoor is 25 KM south of Dindigul, 70 KM north of Madurai and 120 KM South-west of Tiruchirapalli. This place is an escapade and a place for relaxation. Go Cycling in the hills, swim and fish in the lake, go on nature trails and do bird watching. Visit the village and do a craft tour watching the potters,weavers and workers at the coir factory at work. USP - Where Memories are made. Rs 3000-3500 for five persons.Cost of Meals extra - (Breakfast-Rs 150, Lunch - Rs 275, Dinner-Rs 400). edit
- Double Dutch Resort [ http://www.doubledutchresort.com ], Athoor-624701, Dindigul Dt., Kamarajar Lake, Northern boarder at Athoor Dam about 6 km after Athoor village (The resort is 25 km from Dindigul, 55 km from Palani, 90 km from Kodiakanal and 70 km from Madurai. Drive upto Sembatti crossing, turn into Athoor village and follow the route on the website - when you have doubts), ☎ 04543-294499 or 9943455642 or 9943468883. checkin: any time; checkout: 24 hrs. Take a walk up to the water-fall or the cave temple or along the rice fields and in the coconut and palm groves. . Motor bike trips in the surounding mountains (view points, waterfalls, rope bridge and coffee estates) Go bird watching or trekking. Take motorbike rides to experience a slice of Indian village life or visit the rural market. Swim in the lake (boating not allowed) The religious minded can visit the ancient temples like Sendaraya Perumal temple in Batlagundu town which is near, Kasi Visalakshi Viswanathar temple in Kunnuvarankottai. Visit Kodaikanal hills and Sirumalai. Deluxe double rooms at Rs 4700 complementary breakfast(incl.AC and tax) Non AC rooms Rs 3700 complementary breakfast(incl.tax) Lunch and diner extra(for rates see website). edit
- Kurunji Hotel, 4 Spencer Compound, Near Bus Stand, Dindigul 624001, . Rs. 400-800. edit
- Rockfort Palace, 132A, Madurai Road, Begampur, Dindigul 624002, . Rs. 400-1000. edit
- Venkateswar Lodge, Scheme Road, New Bus stand, Y M R Patty, Dindigul 624001 (+91-451-2425881). edit
- Gomath Lodge, 56, Pensioner Street, Dindigul 624001 (+91-451-2430042). edit
- Pandiyarajan K S Prop Pandiyan Lodge, 11, Koil Street, Dindigul 624001 (+91-451-2430013). edit
- Ziauddin Ahmed K A The Lodge liberty, 13, New Agraharam, Dindigul 624001 (+91-451-2431988). edit
- Corner Lodge, 132, Railway Station road, Dindigul 624001 (Railway station road), ☎ +91-451-2422228. located near employment office or KPN Parcel office 100-150. edit
- Sree Baalaaji Bhavan, 41 Spencer Compound (near bus stand) (Near Bus Stand), ☎ +91 451 2434464, +91 82207 24444. Very Near Bus Stand 1000-1200. edit
- Parsons Court, 85, Mengles Road, Dindigul 624003, . Rs. 1600-2000. edit
It is advisable to visit the village temples in the morning (before 11:00 am) as the temples usually will be closed later.
The roads in and around the villages may be narrow and drivers are required to be careful here.
The travelers can go to places like Madurai , Trichy, Munnar , Kodaikanal, Palani from here