Digha  is in Southwest Bengal in India.
Digha is one of the most popular vacation destinations in West Bengal, particularly for people from Kolkata.
This is popular sea beach in West Bengal, India.
Digha is a 4-5 hr journey by bus from Kolkata.
There are regular and frequent services to Digha from the Bus Terminus (Route 6) in the Garia suburb of Kolkata. Buses run 04:00-08:30 and there is also an afternoon bus service from the same state transport depot. Service is regular and residents from Jadavpur, Tollygunj, Rajpur, Sonarpur can easily use the good service.
There are also frequent bus services to Digha from the Dharamtala bus stand of Kolkata and many other parts of West Bengal.
There is a bus service from Kudghat Bus Stand with two buses daily at 06:00 and 08.30. There is also service from Dumdum station. The bus leaves Dumdum at 07:00. 2 buses by CSTC from the bus stand near Ruby General Hospital start at 04:30 and 04:45 daily. There is a bus service from Barrackpore at 06:00 and 07.30. There are also frequent bus services from Howrah (suburb of Kolkata) with buses leaving almost the whole day every 30 min or so.
Frequent bus service (private & Govt.) available from Kharagpur in every half hour. It takes 4hours journey from Kharagpur. Services from other cities like Durgapur, Asansol, Bankura, Bishnupur is available.
- Its much pleasent journey by bus . It takes only 4 to 5 hours by bus from esplanade,kolkata and from other districts. there is always availablity of w.b.s.t.c bus or u can take any luxury bus.
Charges : AC bus approx 250 RS/person and 85-100 Rs/person for Non-Ac (Do confirm if the bus is nonstop or with stops).
It is advisable to make reservations in advance for weekends and national holidays.
- Three trains run daily from Howrah Railway Station at 06.40 (Tamralipta Express), 11.15 (Duranto Express) and 14.40 (Kandari Express) daily. Sometimes special trains are announced on special occasions and holidays. Notices for such trains are to be found on widely circulated newspapers. A journey by Duront Express (12847) leaving Howrah at 11.15 can be a great experience. The return times are 10.25, 13.35 and 18.20 respectively.
- On Saturdays, The Paharia Express comes from new Jalpaiguri and halts at Howrah. This train is often quite empty and very comfortable to travel on.
- There is a local train from Shalimar (Near Howrah) to Digha though the timing is not good. Also there may be some special trains.
- From 1 July 2011, Indian Railways launched 4 special trains from Puri (W 23:35 & Sa 23:35), Malda Town (Sa 08:10), Vishakapatnam (Th 17:50). .
- Now due to work on the 2nd rail line work in the route howrah to digha all the trains getting late upto 4 to 5 hours. so always take your time. and choose ur path of tour.
Travelling to Digha by road has become easier, promoting tourism in Digha and the surrounding beaches of Mandarmoni, Tajpur and Sankarpur). The roads are excellent and one can easily reach Digha from Kolkata in 4 hr of sedate driving.
Route: From Kolkata via Vidyasagar Setu and Kona Expressway take the NH-16 (old NH-6) till Kolaghat -> take a left turn on NH-116 (old NH-41) excellent roads till Nandkumar -> right turn on state highway all the way to Digha, via towns of Contai and Ramnagar.
En route decent toilet facilities and food is available at
Ruk Zaraa (Kolaghat), Sher-e-Punjab (Kolaghat), Express Food Plaza (Kolaghat), Sher Bengal (Mecheda) etc.
Amravati Park is in New Digha. Motorcycle rickshaw vans will take you to New Digha from Old Digha for around ₹10 per person. Other local transport mode includes electric rickshaws and cycle rickshaws. However, the open motorcycle rickshaws are fun to ride.
- The Digha Boardwalk. This is the main boardwalk along the Digha seaface. One can spend an entire evening here amongst the teeming masses of carefree holiday makers and check out the wares of hundreds of makeshift stalls while enjoying the sea breeze. It is more than a mile long and continues on a long desolate stretch to New Digha - a van ride in the dark is worth every rupee. Enjoy cool sea breeze with melodious Bengali songs being played through loudspeakers creating a serene and soothing feel. edit.
- Marine Station/Aquarium of Zoological Survey of India. M-Sa 09:30-18:00. This is possibly the most well equipped marine aquarium in India, but the collection of specimens is poor. Some common local fish are kept in this huge aquarium. edit
- Swimming. The best place for a dip safely is at New Digha. The beach here is flat. Nowadays Old Digha is not safe and conducive for bathing, also it is very much crowded. New digha has a beautiful long and flat beach which is ideal to take a dip. Also at Old Digha beach there are joints which serves fresh sauce-tossed fish,crabs and prawns. Beer is served at the beach by the enterprising locals who would accept payment later by coming with you to your hotel but the price mostly is almost double the rate. For eg:- 120-150rs for a Tuborg beer. There are places to sit with overhead umbrella or shed, chairs can be rented for 10rs per hour. *<do name="Sunbathing" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long=""> edit
- Volleyball. You can also play cricket or football on the beach edit
- Ornaments and curios made of sea shells
- Hand woven mats made of weeds. These mats are calledMadur in Bengali and the colourful Madurs of Midnapur District are famous.
- Cashew nuts. There is a cashew nut farm in Digha so cashew nuts are cheaper here than other places in West Bengal.
- Shankha.shankh and sankha, is a conch shell,The shankha is praised in Hindu scriptures as a giver of fame, longevity and prosperity, the cleanser of sin and the abode of Lakshmi, who is the goddess of wealth and consort of Vishnu. A large number of shops are selling best qualities shankha near chandeneswar temple.Bargain required. It is 3 kilometer from digha Boarder.Same duplicate & low quality shankha are available at digha sea beach.
There are many cheap "rice hotels" all over Digha, serving cheap, but good quality Bengali dishes. There are some more expensive restaurants where continental food is available. In an average restaurant, a vegetarian meal is available for ₹70-90, Bengali fish curry-rice is available for ₹70-150. A meal with egg curry-rice is available around ₹75.
Another great idea would be to just buy the staple vegetarian fare at the hotel you are staying and have it delivered to your room. You can buy fresh fishes like ilish, pomfret, parshe and prawns from Mohona, Digha fish market in the morning and have it cooked at the numerous "Dada-Boudi'r" joints around Sea Hawk. Have this fish with your standard vegetarian lunch or dinner.
In the evening look for fried fish on the sea front in Digha.
Those who are fussy about the quality of cooking, have transport at their command and are looking for tasty fish preparations should go and have lunch at Shankarpur, some 14 km away - they prepare the fish much better than at Digha. The quality at Shankarpur is comparable to the Kolkata 5 star but is comparatively cheaper and the fish as fresh as you can demand. The trouble of travelling would be well compensated.
- Pabitra Hotel, Purba Medinipur, New Digha (5 min walk from bus stand along main road), ☎ +91 96 471 66166 ([email protected]). edit
- Green Coconut water, Green coconuts are very cheap here. A single green coconut costs around ₹10-20. The green coconut vendors move with their cycles all along the Sea Beach.
- Alcohol, There are many bars and wine shops in Digha serving all sorts of hard drinks.
NOTE: To avoid the unsavoury, corrupt, and thoroughly untrustworthy booking services based in Kolkata, it is best to get a place to stay on arrival without advance reservation. A number of hotels are unprofessional and if you pay them amount for advance booking then there is a high chance to get uncomfortable rooms even after your preferred criteria.
- Barsha Resort, Digha, One of the best hotels of Old Digha located at the prime location, Sea view is available from some of the rooms. ☎ +91 91632 19023, For more Information & Booking click here
- Hotel Green Gate, New Digha, One of the best luxurious hotels of Digha, located right beside the Amarabati amusement park, Three Star quality hotel. ☎ +91 97483 94555, For more Information & Booking click here
- Hotel Surf Ride Kimberley Surf Ride Hotel Digha offers the space and freedom to let you relax and enjoy just the way you want. ☎ +91 9874559200, +91 9903603306
- Sandpiper Guest House, Barristers' Colony, Digha (Opposite Hotel Sea Coast), ☎ +91 33 2475 3441. Eight rooms, all having uninterrupted sea views and each capable of sleeping 4 adults. En suite bathrooms, marble flooring, multi-cuisine restaurant, secure car parking. ₹800 upwards.
- State Youth Hostel, New Digha. Bookings can be done at the Directorate of Youth Services, 32/1, B.B.D. Bag (South), Kolkata. ☎ +91 33 2248 0626. Doubles with attached baths are ₹225 per day.
- Hotel Suman's  A very homely accommodation at New Digha, close to sea beach. Tariff from ₹200. Walking distance from Railway Station and Bus Stand. ☎ +91 32 2026 6471, +91 32 2026 6271
- Digha Tourist Lodge. Bookings can be done from the Tourism Centre at 3/2, B.B.D. Bagh (East), Kolkata, ☎+91 33 2243 7260. Dormitory beds ₹100, doubles ₹300-600, 4 Bed ₹700, DAB A/C ₹900.
- Minalay and Minakshi, Benfish. A/C double bed rooms ₹550, non-A/C doubles ₹250, dormitory with 5 beds ₹250.
- Hotel Sea Hawk. One of the few places in town that doesn't hike up their prices as demand increases. Food is good and room services standard. From ₹400 for a ground-floor sea-facing double up to ₹1,500 for an A/C double bed.
- Hotel Santiniketan Digha. Located Near New Digha. High standard rooms, quality food and restaurant available. From ₹600 standard rooms to ₹1,600 for an A/C double bed.
- Hotel Sea Coast, Barrester colony old Digha, ☎ +91 933 100 6392. checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11.45. Conference room, centralised A/C, bar & multi-cuisine restaurant, sea facing rooms & family rooms also available. ₹1,500-2,200. edit
- Hotel Gitanjali, ☎ +91 32 2026 6204. Doubles for Rs 550 and Rs 850. If you are in a group the 4 bed room is ₹1,000.
- The Palm Resort, . Swimming pool, gym, lake, lawns and villas.
- Hotel Rajmahal. The less expensive yet quality hotel with restaurant near to sea beach. ₹500-1,500.
- Tanrango Lahori . From ₹150 (varies with season). Transport available from station.
- Hotel Kamala Residency, ☎ +91 32 2026 6154. A newer hotel near the New Digha beach. Double non A/C rooms ₹900. Double A/C room ₹1,500 and triple with A/C ₹1,800. Breakfast included. Restaurant in hotel.
- Hotel Sea Gull, Barrister colony, Old Digha (near Sea Hawk), ☎ +91 32 2026 7195, +91 933 193 6900, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11:00. Excellent views, good service, ask for a room in the the new building. ₹1,500-2,800+5% tax on A/C rooms. edit
- Ownland Hotel & Resort, Sibalay Road, Old Digha (near Anukul Ashram), ☎ +91 943 201 5692. Spa, Fitness centre, Swimming pool, Pool & Table Tennis, Banquet Hall, Aquarium, Babylon (Roof Top), Disco lounge: Impulse, multi-cuisine restaurant ₹1000-4500. edit
- Hotel Greenland Inn (Hotel Greenland Inn), Sector N-2, Plot No. 84, New Digha, Purba Medinipur, West Bengal, ☎ 03220-266336. checkin: 10 am; checkout: 10 am. The hotel provides accommodation in 17 well-furnished rooms divided into 6 categories, namely. Double Bedroom (AC & non-AC), Deluxe (AC & non-AC) and Super Deluxe (AC & non-AC). Rs. 600-2200. edit
- Mosquito repellent, This is a must for visitors.
- Electric torches or emergency lamps, They will help in case of temporary power outages which are frequent during the summer.
- Safety at Sea. The sea becomes rough to very rough during high tide, especially during new and full moon. It is not safe to swim during high tide. There is a sea wall, which protects Old Digha from erosion, it is unsafe to cross the wall during high tide. Most of Digha has No Swim signs.
- ATM. HDFC ATM & AXIS ATM Near Nehuru Market
- Tajpur - This is a beatiful, pristine beach with hardly any crowds. A great place for getting in the waves ( be careful ) and walking across miles of sand. There are many hotels, all far inland and away from the beach, and no vendors. A great day outing from crowded Digha. To reach, take the road out of Digha and turn right at Balisai.
- Shankarpur - 14 km from Digha
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!