Dhanbad  is a city in Jharkhand.
The coalfields around Dhanbad are known as Jharia coalfields. It covers an area of around 448 sq km, the total reserve of coal is estimated at 5,000 million tonnes. Jharia coalfields are the only source of coking or metallurgical coal in the country. There are 112 coal mines in the district. Jharia town adjacent to Dhanbad is considered a separate town administratively. Munidih Colliery is the Largest Colliery in India. ONGC is using CBM(Coal Beded Methane) for Producing Electricity at many places of Dhanbad.
TATA POWER along with DVC is setting up 1050 MW Thermal power plant in Dhanbad.
It has chemical plants, other industries, and produces Mica and many different minerals.
The nearest commercial airport is at Ranchi, 170 km from Dhanbad kolkata 250 km. Patna is 325 km away. Dhanbad has an airstrip for small planes. MDLR airlines and Air india is also planning to launch domestic services.
Kolkata is 259 km from Dhanbad. Some of the convenient trains connecting Kolkata and Dhanbad are:
- 2019/2020 Howrah-Ranchi Shatabdi Express (no train on Sunday)
- 3317/ 3318 Black Diamond Express
- 3029/3030 Coalfield Express.
Some of the long distance trains passing through Dhanbad are:
- 2301/2302 Howrah New Delhi Rajdhani Express (no train departing Howrah on Sunday, no train departing New Delhi on Friday)
- 2313/2314 Sealdah New Delhi Rajdhani Express.
- 2381/2382 Howrah-New Delhi Poorva Express (train departing Howrah on Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday; train departing New Delhi on Monday, Tuesday, Friday)
- 2311/2312 Howrah Delhi Kalka Mail
- 2321/2322 Howrah Mumbai Mail (via Allahabad)
- 3009/3010 Howrah Dehra Dun Doon Express
- 3151/3152 Sealdah Jammu Tawi
- 3025/3026 Howrah Bhopal (departing Howrah on Monday, departing Bhopal on Wednesday)
- 1448/1449 Howrah Jabalpur Shaktipunj Express
- 1159/1160 Howrah Gwalior Chambal Express (departing Howrah on Tuesday, Wednesday, Sunday; departing Gwalior on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
- 9306/9305 Howrah Indore Shipra Express (departing Howrah on Monday, Thursday, Saturday; depating Indore on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
- 2942/2941 Asansol Ahmedabad Parashnath Express (departing Asansol on Thursday, departing Ahmedabad on Tuesday)
- 3403/3404 and 3405/3406 Ranchi Bhagalpur Vananchal Express
- 8621/8622 Patna Hatia Pataliputra Express
- 8624/8623 Hatia Rajendranagar Express.
For timings etc. check with Indian Railways .
Dhanbad is just off the Grand Trunk Road (NH 2). One can drive into Dhanbad from Govindpur or Rajganj. It is connected via Chas and Bokaro Steel City to Ramgarh and via Chas and Muri to Ranchi. Most of the important cities and towns of Jharkhand Bengal and Bihar have bus links with Dhanbad. It has a large bus station about 2 km from the railway station. Luxury volvo buses plie between Dhanbad-kolkata,Dhanbad-Ranchi. Auto rickshaws are popular transport links with neighbouring towns and in the coalfields, but these are generally overcrowded. Autos are now used for transportation and as compared to Trekkers they are more economical.
Hired cars and taxis are available at the railway station 24/7. Auto rickshaws are also available till late at night. This is also a cheap mode of transport as rickshaw wallahs demand more.
Languages spoken in the area are Hindi, khortha, Bengali,Maithili,Bhojpuri, Punjabi and Santhali. Dhanbad is a cosmopolitan city with people from all over the country. English is understood in most of the areas of visitor/business interest.
- Topchanchi Topchanchi is located just 37 km from Dhanbad. In Topchanchi, tourists can see an artificial lake that was excavated along the base of the slant of the Parasnath Hill in 1915. This lake was created to supply water to Jharia.
Visitors can also go to Gomoh, which is 6 km from the Topchanchi Lake. Gomoh is the place where on 18th January 1941 Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose embarked on the train for his departure from India. To honour this event, a statue of Netaji has been set up in the Topchanchi market.
- Charak Pathar is a popular picnic spot. This is a village, which falls under the development block of Govindpur in the district of Dhanbad. The place gets its name from an old white stone boulder called Charak Pathar.
- Chark Khurd,The village, situated about 10 Kms from Tundi on the Dhanbad- Govindpur -Giridih Road, is noted for its hot spring .
- Chati Gobindpur, The village is located in GOVINDPUR development block, contains two ancient pillars which are locally associated with Emperor Asoka and the Afghan Chief Sher Shah.
- Gopalpur - The village lies in Nirsa-cum-Chirkunda development block. It contains an ancient pillar said to date back to the time of Emperor Asoka. There is also a large stone image said to be of Asoka himself.
- Jhinjhipahari,The village is situated in Baghmara development block. It is said that an ancient temple of Lord Shiva was found when the mines here were being worked.
- Maithon Dam,This Dam is situated at about 52 km. from Dhanbad district. This is the biggest Dam of Damodar Ghati Pariyojna. This Dam has been built to control flood in the Barakar River. The reservoir of Maithan Dam is spread in 65 sq. km. In the mid of this reservoir, there is an island. A rest house has been built in this island. Boating & fishing facilities are also available in this reservoir. There is a Deer park and Birds garden near this Dam these are also of a tourists importance.
- Meva,The village is situated in Nirsa-cum-Chirkunda Block. It contains ancient pillars said to date back to the time of Emperor Ashoka. There is also a large stone image said to be of Ashoka himself.
- Panchet DamThis is situated about 16 km from Maithan. This is the longest dam in Damodar Ghati Pariyojna.
- Panrra,The village, which also lies in Nirsa-cum-Chirkunda Block, it said to have derived its name from the Pandavas. According to local legend the Pandavas spent some period of their exile in hiding at this place. The village contains an ancient temple of Lord Shiva known as Pandeweshar Mahadev. The temple is believed to have been constructed by Hindu King at a much later day.
- TetuliaJust near the Damodar River in the Dhanbad district, there is a spring of hot water.
- Two types of Coal Mines – the open cast and underground. Advance permission has to be procured from Bharat Coking Coal Ltd.  for visiting any of their mines. Sudamdih is worth a visit.
- Indian School of Mines (ISM)  is an institute of national importance, located in Dhanbad. It was established in 1926.
- Central Mining Research Institute (CMRI),  Dhanbad is one of the national laboratories of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India. This laboratory was established in 1956 for carrying out Research and Development work in the field of mining and cognate subjects to make mining safe, productive, environment friendly and economical as well as reduce health hazards to miners and environmental pollution and degradation created due to mining and associated industrial activities.
- Central Fuel Research Institute(CFRI),  Digwadih, Dhanbad.
- Central Fuel Research Institute(CFRI) and Central Mining Research Institute (CMRI) are now amalgamated to "Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research" (CIMFR).
- Shakti Mandir One of the beautiful temple of Goddess Durga. Located in Joraphatak area about 3 k.m. from Dhanbad Rly Station. The jyoti has been brought from Vaishno devi temple. One must visit this temple in the Evening Aarti.
Carnivals are arranged by Lions Club, Rotary Club and other clubs, mostly in winter and these are open to visitors also.
Dhanbad is surrounded by beautiful picnic spots. People are very helpful and friendly and love visitors.
- Bit Sindri, Gausala Bazar (near sindri town railway station), ☎ 0326-2350495, . The institute is located at a distance of 28 kms from Dhanbad railway station linked by rail as well as road. It has a sprawling campus of about 400 acres of land near the eastern bank of river Damodar. edit
The shops are well stocked and are are laden with a huge selection of jeans, leather bags and casual wear.
You can visit the city centre where you can find all major brands, for example Spyker,Reebok,Adidas,United colours of Benetton, Bata.
Dhanbad already has two outlets of Vishal Mega Mart and BIG BAZAAR at Saraidhela, with space of 20000 to 40000 sq feet.
You will see Reliance fresh in almost every part of the city.
- Hotel Skylark - Flavours Resturant, Bank More (Near Railway Station), ☎ +91 326 305284, . 9.00-23.00. Multicuisine resturant, vegetarian food, non-vegetarian food, Jain food edit
- Madhulika, Bank More, 9-Shanti Bhawan, Bank More, ☎ 0326-2305656, . edit
- Take Home, Saraidhela (1.5 Km from Indian school of mines main gate). till 11PM. Veg and non-veg. Try Hyderabad Chicken Biryani(Rs 80). With the great Hyderabadi taste. edit*
Mani's Food Court, city center (near combined building). The central food court of the city centre has vegetarian food and recently added a seperate section for non-vegetarians. edit
- Taste of India, Near Rani-bandh,ISM Gate-2. Nice resturant,non-vegetarian food, Dhaba-like price. edit
- Gaya Singh ka Litti Chokha, Near Court. till 11PM. with & without Ghee edit
- Hotel Skylark, Bank More, ☎ +91 326 305284. edit
- Seventeen Degree, Bank More. A very urbane restaurant with a separate bar. One can enjoy delicious meal in a great ambiance at reasonable price here.But you have to take risk if you bring your guest here because of the unprofessional under trainee staff and lack of management control, don't forget to bring your own pack of cigarrette otherwise you have to buy a whole pack of 20 on a 40% premium. ouch edit
- Aroti, Hirapur Dhanbad. edit
- Panchwati Bar & Restaurant, Near Hawaiadda, Meameco. edit
- Hotel Hindustan International, 0.5 km from Bank More. Comfortable and reasonable priced A/c and Non A\c Rooms edit
- Hotel Black Rock, Bank More, ☎ +91 326 307644. edit
- Hotel Sky Lark, Bank More, ☎ +91 326 305284. edit
- Hotel Vashundhara, Hirapur, ☎ +91 326 202215. edit
- Hotel Susant International, (near puja Cinema Hall), ☎ 03262220200. edit
- Hotel Madhulika, Bank More, ☎ 09431121452 ([email protected]), . Comfortable and A/c Rooms. edit
- Shekhar's Rest House, Shramik Chowk (near Railway Station), ☎ 03262220055, . checkin: 12:00 am; checkout: 12:00am. Budget Hotel Nearest Railway Station The Hotel has rooms of different categories, with the interior designed by excellent decorators. Each room features a satellite TV, an air conditioning and electric sockets that support all kinds of electronic equipment. 650. (23.794458,86.424815) edit
- Topchanchi - about 37 km from Dhanbad, it is situated on the Grand Trunk Road. The Parasnath Hill is located nearby. The Topchanchi Water Reservoir spreads over an area of 214 acres. It is a noted picnic spot
- Maithon Dam – one of the dams under control of the Damodar Valley Corporation has a scenic artificial lake. It is situated about 48 km from Dhanbad and about 5 km off Grand Trunk Road.
- Panchet Dam – another dam under control of Damodar Valley Corporation. It is situated about 54 km from Dhanbad and about 9 km off Grand Trunk Road.
- Sindri – is about 25 km from Dhanbad. It was home to one of the early fertliser plants set up in the country but since closed. Bihar Institute of Technology is located here.
- Central Fuel Research Institute, Digwadih, about 15 km from Dhanbad.
- Parasnath Hills – highest peak in the state, 1,350 meters, is a Jain pilgrimage center, around 50 km from Dhanbad.
- Bhatinda Fall 14 Km from Railway Station is also a well known tourist place.
- Lilori Sthan (near Katras) - is about 22 Km from Dhanbad Railway Station, is famous for Goddess Kali temple.
- Bokaro Steel City - 50 km from Dhanbad.
- Asansol - 60 km from Dhanbad.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!