Devils Fork State Park at Lake Jocassee in South Carolina is one of those rare places at the end of the road we often imagine but seldom ever experience. Located on the eastern slope of the extreme Southern Appalachians one is hard pressed to believe they are in the deep South.
The Park is a focal point as the gateway to the Jocassee Gorges Conservation Area which bounds between North and South Carolina. The Lake is amazingly deep at up to 350 feet and can only truly be appreciated by boat as the waterfalls and rivers cascade from the distant shore across from Devils Fork. Guided waterfalls tours are available as well as fresh water fishing charters departing from the boat ramp at the Park. The Lake's 75 mile shoreline is almost completely protected from development and is unique unto itself in the region. Visitors can either stay at the Park's cabins, campground or nearby private vacation rentals. Reservations are a must as the region is very rural and vacancies in season are scarce. The Park is open year round and attracts over 250,000 visitors annually. Pet owners take note: Pets are permitted in the campground but must be on a leash at all times. No pets are permitted in the villas or cabins at Devils Fork State Park. NO ALCOHOL IS PERMITTED in the campground or cabins.
Southern Appalachians / Blue Ridge Escarpment / Cherokee Foothills / Jocassee Gorges Conservation Area
Flora and fauna
Only known habitat for the Oconee Bell
Moderate year round temperatures / Temperate Southern Rain Forest annual rainfall 75 plus inches per year
Campground / RV Park / Local Pet Friendly vacation rentals / No Pets in Park cabins
The boat ramp at Devils Fork State Park offers the only public boater access to Lake Jocassee.
Annual SC Park Pass $50 / Daily Access Fee $2 per person
Guided waterfall tours are available. Bring a boat or rent one to view the waterfalls on Lake Jocassee.
Major Waterfalls on Lake Jocassee are: Wrights Creek Falls - Mills Creek Falls - Devils Hole Falls - Laurel Falls. There are also several smaller falls / streams that feed into the Lake.
Watersports / Waterski / Wakeboard / Kyack / Canoe / Scuba Diving / Boat & Jet Ski Rentals
Canoes, Kayaks, Paddleboards, Pontoons and other equipment can be rented from Eclectic Sun, which is located at The Pavilion in the day use area of the park.
Fresh Water Fishing License are available at local bait & tackle shops.
Seasonal concession stand at Devils Fork State Park Recreation Center as well as small store in the Park Gift Shop. No local restaurants adjoin the Park however there are some convenience stores in the area within a few miles drive.
No Alcoholic Beverages inside Park Campground Cabins or Picnic Areas
- Lake Jocassee Vacation Rental, 694 Jocassee Lake Rd (1 mile past Devils Fork State Park), ☎ (864) 719-9494, . checkin: 3 pm; checkout: 10 am. Best Vacation Rental Value at Lake Jocassee in the mountains of South Carolina. Perfect for family fun or romantic getaways. Pet Friendly. seasonal rates. edit
- <sleep name="Maplecrest at Lake Jocassee" alt="A Lake Jocassee Rental Cottage" address="694 Jocassee Lake Rd" directions="1 mile from Devils Fork State Park" phone="(864) 719-9494" url=" http://jocassee-vacation.com" checkin="3PM" checkout="10AM" price="From $175 per night" lat="34_57_36_N_" long="82_55_10_W_">A pet friendly country home on two wooded acres adjoining Devils Fork State Park and Lake Jocassee SC. Comfortably furnished with five bedrooms and two full baths accommodating ten guests. Major Credit Cars Accepted
- Camping Information: Two campgrounds are located near the shores of Lake Jocassee.
- Restrooms with hot showers are conveniently located in the campgrounds.
- Tent and RV Camping: Yes
- Boat-In: Yes
- Camping Reservations Accepted: To make a camping reservation, call toll-free 1-866-345-PARK or make it online by clicking Park Reservation.Camping reservations must be made for a minimum of two nights. Reservations requested less than one (1) day in advance of check-in must be made directly through the park. For example: If today is Friday and you are making a reservation checking in on today, Friday, you must make the reservation by contacting the park directly.
- Sites with Elec. & Water: The main lakeside campground at Devils Fork State Park features 59 paved sites with water and electrical hook-ups. Some of these sites accommodate RVs up to 36 feet. These sites rent for $20-$22/site/night.Discounted rates may be offered for seasons of lower demand. Rates listed do not include applicable sales tax and nonrefundable transaction fee.
- Designated Tent Sites: While tent campers may use the sites with water and electrical hookups, there is also a designated rustic tent camping area.These walk-in campsites are designated for tent camping only, and are only a short walk from a central parking area. There are 25 elevated tent pads, one per campsite, and a maximum of two tents can be pitched on each 12' x 12' tent pad. No tents may be placed on the ground.These sites include a picnic table and a fire ring, but do not include electrical or water hook-ups. Water spigots and restrooms are located adjacent to the walk-in tent parking area. These sites rent for $16/site/night. Discounted rates are available for seasons of lower demand. Rates listed do not include applicable sales tax and nonrefundable transaction fee.
- Backcountry Camping: Boat-in backcountry campsites are located on the northern shore of Lake Jocassee at the base of Musterground Mountain. The area is accessible only by boat and is open year-round. Combination fire rings/grill pits are provided. Please remember if you pack it in, pack it out. Special regulations apply. These sites are reservable through our toll free number at 1-866-345-7275 and our website by clicking on the banner in the right margin of this page. Prices are as follows: single pad $18/night, double pad $28/night, and triple pad $38/night.
- Dump Station Available: Yes
- Laundry Facilities: Yes
Dozens of Waterfall Hiking Trails / Most Area Waterfalls east of The Mississippi /
Whitewater Rafting on nearby Chattooga (Deliverance) River /
Canopy Tour Ziplining