Destin is an upscale resort town in the Florida Panhandle.
This city is known for the pure white sand beaches, with the clear green water. The beaches here are extremely fine, with soft sand and the feel of an island. There is no need to leave the country to go to an island, because this has the exact atmosphere of one.Destin, Florida is a city located in Okaloosa, Florida,United States on Florida's Emerald Coast.
This city is on a peninsula separating the Gulf of Mexico from the Choctawhatchee Bay. The city has an area of 8.2 square miles and an elevation of 26 feet. The population, recently taken in 2010, was 12,305 people. The zip codes of this area are 32540-32541 and the area code is 850.
The weather in Destin, FL is phenomenal and that's one of the main reasons for the attraction of tourists.The average high in the months of June, July, and August are 89 and the average lows are 75. The average high for the year is 75.8 and the average low for the year is 61.
Destin is named after Leonardo Destin, a New London, Connecticut fishing captain who settled here between 1845 and 1850. He even built a New England colonial home at the Moreno Point military reservation. Once the 1970s came around, condominiums were built and the city has had extreme growth in the 1980s.
Primary access to Destin is by private vehicle. It is on US 98 between Pensacola and Panama City. From IH-10 west, take IH-110 south through Gulf Breeze, merge with US 98, and follow US 98 along the coast through Fort Walton Beach. From IH-10 east, take FL 285 south through Eglin Air Force Base, make a left on FL 20 to go east, then a right to go south on on Mid Bay Bridge.
The closest public airport is Northwest Florida Regional Airport (IATA: VPS) . Car rental agencies are available at the airport, or offer a courtesy pickup service from the airport.
- Alamo, 850-651-1839, .
- Avis, 850-651-0822, .
- Enterprise, 850-729-5700, .
There are 2 other nearby airports, Pensacola International Airport (PNS) , about 1 hr 20 mins from Destin, and Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport (ECP) , about 1 hr from Destin.
--BJ Global 10:04, 8 February 2012 (EST)
Destin offers two public transits with limited availability but affordable prices. The transits are offered during the tourist season primarily and can be found at access points in the Crystal Beach shopping center and the Destin Commons.
- Coastal Shuttle Service, ☎ 850-687-8220. 24. Airport shuttle service. edit
- Sexton Taxi, ☎ 850-837-0777 850-585-0908. Airport shuttle service to all local airports. Taxi service throughout the area. edit
There is so much to see on this beautiful coast, whether it be the gorgeous beaches, or the constant activities occurring.
The beach, with its distinctive emerald green water, earning it the nickname of the Emerald Coast. Destin's enormous stretch of beach is spectacular, with some of the finest, whitest sand in the world. The sand is so soft it literally squeaks under foot. You will be spoiled forever after experiencing this.
There are many parks in Destin, and lots of nature to see, which is a big hit for many tourists. Some of the special places are:
Henderson Beach State Park, Beach Sand Sculptures, Crystal Sands Beach, Jetty East Beach, and James Lee Park. They are all either parks or special pieces of history.
There are many sights that attract tourists due to how interesting and intriguing these places are. Some sights and landmarks that are a must see are: Destin Harbor and Boardwalk, the Village of Baytowne Wharf, HarborWalk Village, Mid-Bay Bridge, and Destin History and Fishing Museum.
Destin is famous for its sugar white sand beaches and emerald green water. Destin is one of the few locations in the world where you can take SandCastle Lessons  while on vacation. Destin beaches have many activities for all ages, which is very important, especially while on family vacations. Some of the favorite activities are scuba and snorkeling, jet skiing, parasailing, tubing, water skiing, kayak rentals,deep sea fishing, dolphin cruises, and golfing.
The area is renowned for its golfing opportunities. The climate is nearly ideal year-round.
- Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort Award Winning Florida Golf Resort. Championship Golf Courses, 9300 Emerald Coast Parkway, 800-622-2211, .
- Ft. Walton Beach Golf Club Public championship course. Pro shop, lighted driving range, club rentals and snack bar, 1909 Lewis Turner Blvd., Ft. Walton Beach, 850-833-9529
- Golf Garden of Destin Public lighted course and practice area. 112958 Highway 98 East, 850-837-7422.
- Regatta Bay Golf & Country Club, 465 Regatta Bay Blvd Destin, 850-650-7800. Public, championship course designed by Robert C. Walker.
- Seascape Resort & Conference Center, 100 Seascape Dr., 850-654-7888. Public course with greens and driving range.
- Emerald Bay Golf Club, 4781 Clubhouse Drive, (850) 837-5197, .
Deep Sea Fishing
- Adventure Charters, 850-654-4070. Offers many charter options.
- Pelican Adventures, 210-F Hwy 98 East, 850-650-3825, .
- Wet-N-Wild Watersports, 850-243-2628. Parasailing in Destin, Florida.
- Destin Vacation Boat Rentals, 850-650-2628, Destin Harbor -
- A Paradise Watersports, on Okaloosa island, 850-837-0123, 850-302-0021. Rents all kinds of boats and water gear.
- Boogies Water Sports at the foot of the bridge, 850-654-4497. Offers watercraft rentals and parasailing.
- Destin Florida Charters, 850-393-7009, . Charters power and sail yachts.
- S.E.A. Chase Watersports, 850-607-0071. Water sports rental provider of pontoon boat rentals, kayaks and stand up paddle boards
- Dolphin Cruise at Harborwalk Marina, 850-837-7741. Offers various cruises including a dolphin cruise.
- Moody's, 194 Hwy. 98, 850-837-1293. Sails the Emerald Magic and America II, available for charter.
- Pleasure Island Waterpark, Highway 98 in Fort Walton Beach, 850-243-9738. Has go-karts, personal watercraft, pontoon boats, jet boats, parasailing, and refreshments.
- The Track, Highway 98 on the east side of town, 850-654-4668, . Has indoor go-karts, a kids recreation area, miniature golf, and bungee jumping.
There are any number of places to eat both on and off the beach. Food on the beach is always good, but once you come to Destin, FL you will realize how delicious it is, along with beautiful views.
- The Back Porch, 850-837-2023
- Boathouse Oyster Bar, 850-837-3645.
- Camellia Grill w Harbor Blvd Suite 200. Old style diner with New Orleans touches. A favorite in the Carrollton section of New Orleans for generations; now has a branch in Destin in the HarborWalk Village Mall. Tel (850) 650-2907.
- Captain Dave's on the Gulf, 850-837-6357.
- Destin Chops, 320 Hwy. 98 E., Destin, on the second floor of the Destin Yacht Club, 850-654-4944. Premium steakhouse.
- Fisherman's Wharf, 210-D Hwy 98 East, 850-654-4766.
- Hog's Breath Saloon, 541 E. Hwy 98, 850-837-5100.
- Fudpucker's Beachside Bar & Grill, 20001 Emerald Coast Pkwy, 850-54-4200, .
- Harbor Docks, 538 Highway 98, 850-837-2506.
- Marina Café, 404 Hwy 98 East, 850-650-4208.
- McGuires Irish Pub and Brewery, 33 E Highway 98, 850-650-0000. Steaks and ale.
- Nightown, 850-837-6448.
- Ocean Club Restaurant, 850-267-3666, 8955 Hwy. 98 West,#107, Miramar Beach, Florida 32550, . The grouper comes recommended!
- Yesterday's, 850-654-5251.
- Commander's Palace famous elegant Uptown New Orleans restaurant now has a branch in the HarborWalk Mall overlooking the Bay.
- Vin'tij Wine Boutique ., Looking for an artsy, soulful place to dine and enjoy good wine? Look to Vin’tij Wine Boutique in Destin, Florida. Located across the street from the Silver Sands Factory Stores, Vin’tij offers a delectably coastal, always fresh menu. The wine list is extensive. The decor is an eclectic mix of local art and mosaics. The atmosphere is just wonderful.
Some of the top rated places in Destin,FL to have a good time are the following:
Nighttown:Insanely fun nightclub offering a large dance floor, multiple bar areas & a stage for DJs & live music.
Old Florida Fish House: Who doesn't love a family-friendly place to eat served with seafood, a sushi bar & frequent live music?!
BoShamps Seafood & Oyster House: A southern-style seafood restaurant, with two full bars, overlooking the Destin Harbor.
Hogs Breath Saloon: Located in the heart of Destin, FL, seafood, live music, handmade speciality drinks, this is a crowd's favorite for a restaurant.
McGuire’s Irish Pub: Award winning restaurant and pub, this is a funky place to sit down and enjoy some excellent food and delicious drinks. With over a million dollar bills signed on the walls and ceilings, the crowd is always friendly and rowdy here. The atmosphere here is unforgettable, come and stop by!
A.J.’s Seafood and Oyster Bar:A 3 level restaurant/bar overlooking the Destin Harbor. Club Bimini is located in the lower level, full of live entertainment and dancing. Amazing seafood that has people talking for days, this restaurant is an unforgettable experience.
- Motel 6, 405 Highway 98 E, 850-837-0007.
- Sleep Inn, 10775 Highway 98 E, 850-654-7022.
- Beach Condos In Destin www.beachcondosindestin.com, 888-251-5214
- Country Inn & Suites, 4415 Commons Dr E, 850-650-9191.
- Holiday Inn, 1020 Highway 98 East, 850-837-6181.
- Ramada Limited Destin, 39 Old Hwy. 98 East, +1 850-837-2378, .
- My Vacation Haven, 600 Grand Blvd +1 850-553-0188, . Featuring 130+ vacation rentals, My Vacation Haven offers personalized customer care and great discounts on area attractions.
- The Beach .Network™, Highway 98 East, . Destin vacation rentals by owner, beachfront condos with an array of resort amenities to meet your needs.
- Destin Condo Rentals, 1002 US-98 E, +1 972-330-3982, .
- Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa, 4000 Sandestin Blvd., . A getaway for a Florida golf trip or a relaxing vacation. Top-notch accommodations, access to top-rated golf courses, upscale dining at Seagars, and relax at the Serenity by the Sea Spa.
- Ocean Reef Resorts, 10221 Emerald Coast Pkwy., . Offering distinctive properties along the Gulf Coast ranging from 1 bedroom condos to 10 bedroom homes.
- Abec Resorts , 15000 Emerald Coast Parkway, 877-447-3767, Pictures, rates, information, and online booking for three spectacular Destin resorts.
- Club Destin, 1085 Highway 98 E, 850-654-4700, .
- Inn on Destin Harbor, 402 Highway 98 E, 850-837-7326, .
- Pelican Beach Resorts, 1002 Highway 98 E, 850-654-1425, .
- Silver Shells Beach Resort and Spa , 15000 Emerald Coast Parkway, 877-447-3767. Luxury beachfront condominium resort with Ruth Chris Steak House on site.
- WaterSound Beach Rentals, 37 Compass Point Way S., Santa Rosa Beach, 1-888-541-0801, .
- The Palms of Destin , 4201 Two Trees Rd, 1-877-447-3767. Beautiful Gulfside resort with pool, tennis courts, spa, and fitness center.
- Silver Beach Towers Resort , 850-269-1005. 1048 Highway 98, Luxury, Gulf Front condo rentals on 600 Ft of private sugar white sand beaches.
- Seascape Golf, Beach & Tennis Resort , 100 Seascape Drive, 1-800-874-9106. Relaxaluxury - Experience an all-inclusive vacation in a resort that has the luxuries of today without abandoning the charms of Destin's past. One, Two and Three bedroom rentals at Ariel Dunes, Ariel Dunes II, Majestic Sun and the Villas.
- Five Star Beach Properties , 850-502-0470. Five Star Beach Properties provides luxury Destin vacation rentals and 30A vacation rentals.
- Compass Resorts, 850-269-1005. Compass Resorts provides Destin Vacation Rental homes and condos in Destin and the surrounding areas of Okaloosa Island and South Walton.
- Ft. Pickens , part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, is a nature preserve and a civil war-era fort and museum. Activities include fishing, camping, historical research, and tours. A 7-day pass is $8, and covers a private vehicle and all passengers. It's located on the far west end of Santa Rosa Island, about 45 minutes west on Highway 98, then take the CR-399 bridge south at Gulf Breeze, then follow CR-399 right.
- Fort Walton Beach is just to the West on Highway 98 on the other side of Okaloosa Island.
- Navarre Beach is a relatively unoccupied resort area on Santa Rosa Island. Head west on Highway 98 about 30 minutes, then take a left on Navarre Bridge. An excellent beach with shower facilities is available at the bridge intersection.
- Panama City Beach is an area more targeted to the younger crowd. It is a popular spring break destination. Head east on Highway 98 about an hour.
- [ Biloxi, and the MS Gulf Coast], is about 2 hours west. This area appeals to the entertainment crowd with several world class casino hotel resorts the bring Vegas style gaming and shows year round. In addition, it has a 25 mile white sand beach and several top notch golf courses visited by the PGA.