Częstochowa  is in Poland. It's part of Silesian Voivodeship. It's one of the most important cities of Jura Mountains. It attracts many pilgrims every year (not only in main holidays). The main pilgrimage center is Jasna Góra monastery with a miraculous Saint Mary of Częstochowa picture. The place attracts not only Catholics but also people or all religions as well as non-religious ones.
Częstochowa, and the monastery of Jasna Góra is holy place for Polish and foreign Roman Catholics.
- Main holidays are 3rd of May (Patron Saint day) and 15th of August (Assumption holiday).
- Many people also come to Częstochowa during Christmas or Easter time.
Katowice airport's located about 1 h from Częstochowa, Łódź Airport's located about 2 h from the city. Bus companies as Sindbad, Interbus, Agat and Eurores offer direct connections between many cities in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Spain, Netherlands, Ireland, Luxembourg, Germany, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Italy. There're direct buses from Croatian cities of Sesvete, Zagreb, Karlovac, Zadar, Sibenik, Trogir and Split operated by GlobTourist, Retman and Eurobus. If you travel from other Balkan states as Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro or Kosovo, you can travel by bus via Vienna.
Carrier FlixBus offers direct connections to Budapest, Gyor and Bratislava. You can also get there on foot via Szlak Orlich Gniazd , Szlak Zamonitu or Szlak Warowni Jurajskich trails, especially if you're visiting Częstochwa as a pilgrim.
Many people chose this option just for more spiritual experience or for their hiking interests. There're many trails leading to Częstochowa:
Many people visiting Czętochowa come to see Clear Mountain sanctuary (Jasna Góra). Main pilgrim holidays' re celebrated 3rd of May and 15th August. City center offers promenade, museum of one of the most famous Polish contemporary poet- Halina Poświatowska, philharmonic, Brass and Hantke palaces, railway museum,planetary, matches museum (muzeum zapałek), Orthodox church (cerkiew), mining museum, Konduktorowania contemporary art gallery, Staszic park, Lutheran church and more. Other interesting places to see're Sacral Miniatures Park (Park Miniatur Sakralnych) , Archeological Reserve ,Laski Aniołowskie forest, Birch Alley (Aleja Brzozowa), Osson Mountain (Góra Ossona), Saint Roch cemetery (there're Ist world war graves of German, Russian, Polish, Austrian and Hungarian origin soldiers)
Częstochowa's the most famous Polish religious, so there're many churches, the most interesting ones are:
- Holy Family Cathedral.Ogrodowa street. Neogothic church with an interesting interior and stain glasses.
- Saint Jacob's church. Plac Biegańskiego.Church made from old Orthodox church. There's a beautiful, modernist-style interior.
- Saint Sigismund church.Plac Daszyńskiego. The oldest city church
- The Most Holy Name of Mary church.Aleja Najświętszej Maryi Panny Neogothic church with beautiful interior, totally must see!
- Saint Anthony church.Stroma street. Modernist church with beautiful stain glasses
- Saint Joseph sanctuaryOkrzei street. Beautiful church in district of Raków
- Holy Cross Elevation church.Sikorskiego 85. Church with an interesting, neogothic interior
- Providence church.Warszawska street 288. Modernist church with beautiful stain glasses
- Saint Brother Albert church. Narcyzowa street. Interesting church with interesting interior (mostly stain glasses).
- Saint Melchior Grodziecki church .Ossowskiego street. Contemporary church with beautiful interior
- Holy Body and Blood church.Aleja Jana Pawła II 82. Church has an interesting building shape. There're beautiful stain glasses inside.
- Saint Jadwiga the Queen church.Zajączka street. Church with beautiful presbytery decorations and stain glasses.
- Saint Maximilian Maria Kolbe church.Starzyńskiego street. Church with an interesting interior.
- Saint Adalbert church.Brzeźnicka street. Contemporary church with a very unique building and interior
Jewish cementery, Gora Zborow, Mirow - places close or in Czestochowa. There're open air swimming pools in Lisiniec district.
Visit Jura Krakowsko-Czestochowska, places like Olsztyn, Gory Gorzkowskie, Mirow, Bobolice, Ogrodzieniec, Pieskowa Skala.
As Częstochowa's a religious place, it's worth to participate in any holy mass. Most of them are in Polish.
There're places to swim and relax in Lisiniec. There're open air swimming pools on Dekabrystów street.
There're indoor swimming pools on Sienkiewicza and Alei Niepodległości streets.
There're open air tennis courts near Jasna Góra park.
You can walk Czesław Niemen promenade. There's a brine graduation tower.
- Galeria Jurajska, Aleja Wojska Polskiego 207, . edit
- Trattoria La Vita Da Re, al. Najświętszej Maryi Panny 35/17, . italian restaurant edit
- Restauracja Topollino, Al. N.M.P. 67 42-200 Czestochowa, . italian restaurant edit
- Pizzeria Viola, ul. Boleslawa Limanowskiego 84 42-200 Czestochowa, . italian restaurant edit
- Polonia, Piłsudskiego 9. edit Restaurant still working since 1860, in the past popular among interwar period elites
- Klub Don Kichot, al. NMP 64, ☎ 34 368 24 52, . 22-5. latino + dance music edit
- Dance Club RETRO, Gajcego 2, . disco club Friday 18+ Saturday 21+ edit
- Ibis Częstochowa, Jaskrowska 22. edit Hotel not far from city center, restaurant
- hotel Sonex, Krakowska 45. edit Hotel in the city center, located about 3 km from central bus and coach station, bar and restaurant
- hotel Haga, Katedralna 9. edit Hotel in the city center, very close to central bus and coach station, free WiFi, restaurant, bar
- hotel Sekwana, Wieluńska 24. edit Hotel in the city center, very close to Jasna Góra sanctuary, restaurant, free WiFi, garden, bar
- Grono Apartamenty, Wieluńska 23. edit Apartments in the city center, close to Jasna Góra sanctuary, terrace, free WiFi, restaurant
- Polo, Katedralna 18. edit Guest rooms in the city center, free WiFi, close to central bus and railway stations
- Stacja Centrum, Garibaldiego 30. edit Hostel in the city center, close to central bus and coach station, free WiFi
- Żwirki, Żwirki i Wigury 3. edit Apartment building in the city center, 2 km from central bus and coach station and only 1 km from Jasna Góra Sanctuary, free WiFi, terrace
- 42-200 hostel, Aleja NMP 43. edit Hostel in city center located only 1 km from central bus and coach station, free WiFi
- U Janiny, Płocka 10. edit Guestrooms about 2 km from city centerand only 1 km from Jasna Góra Monastery, shared bathrooms, WiFi, terrace
- Noclegi Rondo, Ludowa 206. edit Guest rooms located 4 km from city center, restaurant, garden, WIFI
- Lawendowy Dom, Kruczkowskiego 9. edit Guest rooms, WiFi, garden, shared bathrooms, ballroom and conference room, object located near Lasy Aniołowskie forest area
- Dom św. Kaspra, Mąkoszy 1. edit Religious guest house in the city center, near the monastery, shared and private bathrooms,
- hotel Wenecki, Joselewicza 12. edit Hotel in the city center, summer terrace, bar, free car park, not far from central railway station
- Złote Arkady, Boya Żeleńskiego 12. edit Hotel located in the city center, not far from central railway station, garden, free WiFi, rooms with balconies, restaurant
- Apartamenty Centrum Częstochowa Stara Kamienica, Dąbrowskiego 10. edit Apartments in the city center, free WiFi, close to central bus and coach station
- Apartamenty Częstochowa, Piłsudskiego 13/15. edit Apartments in city center, close to central railway station, free WiFi, not far from Jasna Góra sanctuary
- Apartments City38, Aleja NMP 38 A. edit Apartments close to Jasna Góra Monsatery, WiFi
- Magnolia, Św.Piotra 1. edit Guest rooms close to Jasna Góra monastery, WiFi, terrace
- Willa Ania, Grunwaldzka 6. edit Villa not far from Jasna Góra, barbecue facilities, terrace, WiFi
- U Eli, Płocka 10 A. edit Guest rooms located 2 km from city center, garden, barbecue facilities
- Rydz, Kilińskiego 106. edit Guest rooms located near swimming pools in Dekabrystów street, shared bathrooms, garden, Internet
- Pod Klasztorem, Świętej Barbary 13. edit Guest rooms near Jasna Góra monastery and Lisiniec lakes and sport complex, WIFI
- U Tosi, Przemyska 1. edit Guest rooms located 4 km from city center, WiFi, private bathrooms
- Mercure Częstochowa Centrum, Ks.J.Popiełuszki 2. edit Luxury hotel in city center, not far from Jasna Góra sanctuary, there're two restaurants, gym
- hotel Scout, Drogowców 12. edit Hotel located near DK1 way, squash and tennis courts, climbing wall, gym, sauna, bowling, bar
- Browar Częstochovia hotel & SPA, Korczaka 14. edit An object with restaurant, free WiFi, spa, summer terrace, bar, sauna
- hotel Arche, Oleńki 20. edit Hotel located 2 km from central bus and coach station, bar, restaurant, close proximity to Jasna Góra sanctuary
- Camping Oleńka, Oleńki 22. edit Camping with tent and campers places
- Camp place, Lakowa and Szybowa crossroad. editThe camp place is located on Glinianka pond, on city's outskirts, near Blachownia. There's a small place for small campers or tents.
- Camp place. editLocated in nearby village of Kręciwilk.
- Grodzisko Gąszczyk. editPlace located on Warta river in the village of Grodzisko, almost on outskirts of Częstochowa, there're benches and barbecue places, for campers only.
During high pilgrimage season (3rd of May and 15th of August) there's very hard to find an accommodation. If you're travelling to Częstochowa this time you can find an accommodation in nearby places as Dziadówki-Leśniczówka, Zalew Krasianów, Kłobuck, Przewodziszowice, Olsztyn (Silesia) , Złoty Potok, Żarki, Żarki-Letnisko, Czatachowa, Ostrowy nad Okszą, Lubliniec, Radomsko, Bełchatów, Koniecpol, Myszków, Kalety, Pajęczno,Blachownia, Przedbórz or Działoszyn. If you have problem with finding any accomodation in closeset cities, you can find in further places as Kleszczów Region, Osjaków, Zawiercie, Ogrodzieniec, Kroczyce or Podlesice.
- Xtreme Internet Caffe, Al. NMP 65A, ☎ +48 34 3683689 ([email protected]). 7:30AM-10PM. Over 55 modern PCs, all with high speed (4MB) broadband internet access. Also has B&W/colour printing, WebCam, CD/DVD burning, USB connect, Scanning, Skype and Faxing. 3 PLN per hour. edit
English speakers are easy to find near Jasna Góra - many nuns and priests on the grounds are multilingual. The town is another matter.
Some advice from a native local. Please be warned that in the area around Jasna Góra you can be approached by some shady individuals that will want to trick you into buying something. Don't be fooled -- your money will definitely not go towards costs of Jasna Góra renovation or charitable cause it will be probably spent on cheap booze.
In pilgrimages season the prices can be much higher, the best way's to find an accommodation or camping/campsite in other location, the best choice can be Olsztyn (Silesia), Kalety, Koniecpol or Blachownia. There's also a one place located in Zawodzie, near the pond (swimming's forbidden) or Poraj lake (near Masłońskie beach). You can also find a camp place/accommodation in further locations as Szczekociny, Mirow, Suliszowice, Kostkowice, Ryczów, Olkusz, Sławków, Ciągowice, Wysoka, Dąbrowa Górnicza, Sosnowiec, Będzin, Czeladź, Siewierz, Bytom, Tarnowskie Góry or Pilica. The good choice's to buy a food beyond Częstochowa or take your own one.
If you want to come as pilgrim on foot, you can chose Szlak Orlich Gniazd, Szlak Warowni Jurajskich or Szlak Zamonitu trails. Those trails are also an excelent oportunity to see Jura Mountains treasures and also meet and mingle with local people or meet other pilgrims or tourists. You learn more in Pilgrimage to Częstochowa itinerary.
- Head east in the direction of Jedrzejow to visit two architectural gems of in the neoclassical style. These are the Palace at Nakło, and the Palace at Szczekociny, both designed by the Enlightenment era economist, engineer and architect Jan Ferdynand Nax in the late 18th century. The Szcekociny Palace is not open to the public and seems to be in a state of limbo at present. But you can get onto the grounds to see it from the outside. The Palace at Nakło is open to the public for tours and lodging and has Polish-American hosts . There are also several interesting manor houses in this area. And just beyond Szczekociny is the museum of Mikołaj Rej, a leading Polish writer of the 16th century, and considered to be to be one of the founders of Polish literary language. On the way, take in the ruins of the castle at Olsztyn, a huge medieval fortification about 16 kilometers from the Częstochowa city limits (but please don't confuse it with the city of the same name in the Northern Poland). There're also other religious sanctuaries and places near Częstochowa as Mstów,Gidle, Leśniów or Czatachowa. Częstochowa's a gateway to Jura Wieluńska, Bełchatów and Kleszczów Region. If you want to know more Polish history, visit Szczekociny, Lelow, Koniecpol, Przedbórz or Włoszczowa.