Ragusa is a town in Sicily, Italy
The Old and New Ragusa
Ragusa is divided into the newer Ragusa Superior and the older Ragusa Ibla. Ibla is a spectacular mix of narrow streets, steep winding steps, old churches, and fantastic views.
In 1693 Ragusa was hit by a terrible earthquake that destroyed most of the town. When the Ragusans had to decide where to rebuild their town, they split into two groups. The San Giorgians (the nobles) that stayed in Ibla rebuilt the old town and the magnificent Duomo di San Giorgio, and the working class that moved onto the new site of Ragusa and built the Cathedral of San Giovanni and the new city. The old church of San Giorgio (XIV) was badly damaged and most of its stones were used to build the new Duomo (XVIII), only the portal of the ancient church was spared by the earthquake and reconstruction.
Ragusa is the capital of its province and today is an active city with over 72,000 inhabitants. Since 2002 it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage with 18 buildings in Ragusa on the list.
There is a project to convert the old railway-line running north past Chiaramonte Gulfi and to Vizzini (the track is already gone) into a bicycle-track.
From Catania take SS114 and turn for Lentini SS194. From there follow sign to Ragusa on the SS514.
From Siracusa take the motorway A18 and then the SS115.
From Agrigento/Gela follow the SS.115
There are busses from Syracuse, Catania, Modica, Vittoria, Marina di Ragusa, Noto, Palermo (4h, €12), Rome (SAIS Trasporti).
The bus terminal is in the new part of Ragusa in Via Zama. Bus companies operating from Ragusa:
It is possible to reach Ragusa by train, the central train station is in the new part of town in Piazza Gramsci. The old stations of Ragusa Ibla and Ragusa Genisi have been closed, and the station of Ragusa Donnafugata gets used to visit the Castle. On the train from Siracusa to Ragusa takes about 2 hours.
The nearest airport is in Catania  (code:CTA) at 97km from Ragusa.
The Ragusa/Comiso Airport  (code:CIY) is at 18km from town
Palermo airport  (code:PMO) is 274km from Ragusa.
At few kilometers from Ragusa is Aviosuperficie Eremo della Giubiliana Airport  (code:RGGIU).
The port of Marina di Ragusa is at 24km, but at the moment there aren't any schedule ferris. In the near future there should by an Hydrofoil-service connecting Marina di Ragusa to Malta. 
The nearest port is in Pozzallo at 34km, where there are ferries/hydrofoils from/to Malta, run by Virtu Ferries.
Take bus no 1 or 3 to the Ibla. The last bus leaves the tourist office at 8.40pm. If you go there on foot do not follow the directions for cars but take the step streets down from Via Roma.
In Ragusa there are 15 lines of local bus, mainly circular lines, run by AST (Azienda Siciliana Trasporti). You can buy bus tickets at Tobacco shops and News Agents.
There is a taxi station/office at the beginning of Ragusa Ibla in Piazza della Repubblica and there are taxis at the train station in the new Ragusa. Taxi Comiso airport is a taxi company that operates throughout in Ragusa and the province of Ragusa
There is a plan to build a light metropolitan train system using the railway-line that runs in Ragusa. There will be 15 stops for 18 kilometers of Metropolitan line, running from the high-part of Ragusa through the citycentre and down to Ibla and to the University.
- Archeological Park of Kamarina, SP.102, Ragusa. At 25km from Ragusa you can find the archeological park of the Greek city of Kamarina IV.BC and its Museum. edit
- Archeological Zone, Via Giardino, Ragusa Ibla. Small archeological area with Hellenistic-Greek ruins dating to the IIIBC and Roman ruins dating IVAD. edit
- Castle of Donnafugata (Castello di Donnafugata), 12km out of town, Donnafugata, Ragusa, . Castle/Palace with park. edit
- Cathedral of San Giovanni, Piazza San Giovanni, Ragusa, . Beautiful baroque church built 1706 - 1778. edit
- Church del Purgatorio, Piazza Repubblica, Ragusa Ibla. Church XVII with Baroque portal and Bizantine walls. edit
- Church of Santa Maria delle Scale, Ragusa Ibla. Church dating to the XIII century, inside it has three chapel/arches in late Gotic style. edit
- Church of Santa Maria dell'Itria, Via Scale. Ragusa Ibla. Church built in XIV century in the old Jewish quarter, belonged to the knights of Malta. edit
- Duomo of San Giorgio (Duomo di San Giorgio), Salita Duomo, 13, 97100 Ragusa (Ibla, the old part), . edit
- Giardini Iblei, Ragusa Ibla. Public Gardens, half in Italian style and half in English style with three medieval churches in the park and views over the valley of the Irminio. edit
- Museo Archeologico Ibleo, Via Natalelli, Ragusa. Is divided in 6 sections. Prehystoric, Greek, Siculis arcaic, Hellenistic, Roman and collection. edit
- Old Portale di San Giorgio, Via Normanni, Ragusa Ibla. The Portale is the doorway in Gotic-Catalan style of the ancient church of San Giorgio dating to the XIV century. edit
- Palazzo Bertini, Ragusa Ibla. Baroque palace edit
- Ponte Vecchio, Via Traspontino, Ragusa. Bridge also called of the 'Cappuccini'. Old bridge (1825) linking two parts of town with a series of arches. edit
- Porta Valter - South Gate, Via Valter, Ragusa Ibla. Ancient Gate part of the medieval walls. edit
- Marina di Ragusa - Beach. Fine sand, clear blue water and beachvolly. edit
- Explore Ragusa Ibla. Medieval town, full of narrow streets and Baroque Churches and Palaces. Since 2002 it is a Unesco World Heritage site. edit
Festivals & Special Events
- Ibla Buskers, on the streets of Ragusa Ibla. Every year for one week in October the streets of Ibla get populated by street-artists from all over the world. edit
- Ibla Grand Prize. Musical-Piano competition with musicians from all over the world. Concerts in the Piazzas of Ibla. June - July. edit
- Melodica. Piano concerts in the churches of Ragusa. May till November. edit
- Festival Organistico. edit
- Estate Iblea, Ragusa and Marina di Ragusa. edit
- Festa di San Giovanni, Piazza San Giovanni, Ragusa. edit
- Festa di San Giorgio, Piazza Duomo, Ragusa Ibla. edit
- Maria SS di Porto Salvo, Marina di Ragusa. procession with the statue of the Virgin Mary sailing on a boat in front of Marina di Ragusa. August. edit
- The main are Via Roma and Corso Italia.
- For souvenirs and tipical sicilian products the Via XXV Aprile in Ragusa Ibla has many shops with all the gadgets you want to buy in Sicily and take back home.
There are two in Ragusa:
- Centro Commerciale Ibleo - Ipercoop, Viale delle Americhe, SP.52, Ragusa, . Shopping Centre edit
- Le Massarie, Via A Grandi, Ragusa, . on the road for Marina di Ragusa. Shopping Centre edit
There is a market every day of the week (excluded Sundays) but it changes zone/quarter of Ragusa. The main Market is on Wednesdays next to the football stadium 'A. Campo' in Selvaggio quarter.
- Mondays. edit
- Tuesday. edit
- Wednesdays, Contrada Selvaggio. Main market of Ragusa, next o the football stadium. edit
- Thursdays, Via A. De Gasperi.. Market, located off Viale Europa. edit
- Fridays, Piazza Tamanaco. Location: off Via Archimede. edit
- Saturdays, Via P.S. Mattarella.. Location: at the end of Viale napoleone Colajanni. edit
- Ai Lumi, Corso XXV Aprile, 16, 97100 Ragusa, ☎ +39 093 262 1224, . Restaurant at the Duomo in Ibla. Good simple menu. edit
- Cucina & Vino, Via Orfanotrofio, 91 Ragusa Ibla. Excellent budget restaurant. Sicilian cooking here. edit
- Duomo, Via Capitano Bocchieri, 31, 97100 Ragusa, ☎ +39 093 265 1265 ([email protected]), . Michelin-starred restaurant - incredible Restaurant edit
- La Bettola, Largo Camerina, 7, 97100 Ragusa, . Home cooking restaurant edit
- Locanda Don Serafino, Via Avv. Giovanni Ottaviano, 13 - 97100 Ragusa Ibla, ☎ +39 093 224 8778, . Italian restaurant edit
- U Saracinu Ristorante, Via Convento, 9 Ragusa Ibla. Excellent restaurant edit
Most pubs are in Ragusa Ibla (old town) or in Marina di Ragusa (sea-town).
- The Jester Pub, Viale Europa, Ragusa. Great pub and live music. Open Sept - June edit
- Puglesi, Via Dante 94, +39 0932 686046. Bar at the bus stop, open late.
- Il Quartino di Palazzo Maggiore, Piazza Duomo, 21, 97100 Ragusa, ☎ +39 389 903 8393 ([email protected]), . B&B edit
- Le stanze di Jole, Via Ospedale Civile, 97100 Ragusa, ☎ +39 345 280 5458, . edit
- Locanda Don Serafino, Via XI Febbrao, 15, ☎ +39 093 222 0065 ([email protected]), . 10 rooms with AC, bathroom, TV, safe, in-room internet connections in mansion in Ibla. Also has restaurant. edit
- Terra del sole Ibla, Corso Giuseppe Mazzini 218b, ☎ +39 333 682 1202 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 11:30. B&B rooms with bathroom, internet wi-fi free, conditioned air, tv lcd and breakfast. Terra del sole It is located on the course connecting upper Ragusa to Ragusa Ibla, from its windows you can enjoy a fantastic view , the view of the entire Ibla edit
There is tourist information one block from the Duomo. They will give you a map of Ibla. It is not very accurate but necessary if you want to go outside the major roads.
- Modica 15km ....................(Unesco World Heritage)
- Scicli 25km .....................(Unesco World Heritage)
- Noto 55km ......................(Unesco World Heritage)
- Caltagirone 59km .............(Unesco World Heritage)
- Piazza Armerina 88km ......(Unesco World Heritage)
- Pantalica 54km................(Unesco World Heritage)
- Siracusa 90km ................(Unesco World Heritage)
- Mount Etna 118km.............Vulcano and Regional Park
- Agrigento 130km .............(Unesco World Heritage)
- Taormina and Isola Bella 156km...(on Tentative List of Unesco World Heritage)
- Palermo and Monreale Cathedral 245km (on Tentative List of Unesco World Heritage)
- Aeolian Islands 272km................(Unesco World Heritage)