College Park is in Prince George's County, Maryland. It is a suburb of Washington D.C.
Most visitors come to College Park for the University of Maryland, and all the associated sporting events, but aviation geeks should also take notice of the Aviation Museum.
College Park Airport (IATA: CGS), the world's oldest continuously operated airport, is open only to private planes.
Baltimore-Washington International Airport (IATA: BWI) is a 30 minute drive from College Park. It is also accessible by taking Bus B30 to/from the Greenbelt Metrorail Station, near College Park.
Washington Reagan National Airport (IATA: DCA) is a 30 minute drive from College Park and is accessible via the Metrorail.
Washington Dulles International Airport (IATA: IAD) is a 45 minute drive from College Park but takes significantly longer using public transportation.
From I-495 (Capital Beltway), take exits 24 (University Boulevard / MD 193) or 25 (US Route 1).
Amtrak operates service to the New Carrollton station in Largo.
College Park is serviced by the Green Line of the Metrorail. The station is about a mile from the University of Maryland.
Metrobus J4 operates service between College Park and Bethesda via Takoma Park.
The main north-south artery of College Park is Route 1 (also known as Baltimore Ave). Many destinations of interest (including the university) are along this road. An alternative, slightly to the east, is Rhode Island Ave. Major east-west roads include University Boulevard (Route 193) and Campus Drive/Paint Branch Parkway. Route 1 traffic can be horrendous at times. Avoid arriving or leaving College Park during evening rush house. There is no free parking in College Park, so make sure to check each meter's restrictions and rules.
Metrobus J4 operates service between the University of Maryland and the Metrorail Station.
Shuttle-UM operates an extensive bus network, although University of Maryland identification is required to ride.
Rhode Island Ave Trolley Trail runs north/south to the east of Route 1 and, north of Route 193, consists of bike lines on Rhode Island Ave. The Paint Branch Trail intersects it near Lake Artemesia and runs through campus, up to Cherry Hill Road near the Beltway. College Park has many residential streets that make for easy biking, but some of the major thoroughfares can be dicey.
Memorial Chapel at University of Maryland College Park
- College Park Aviation Museum, 1985 Corporal Frank Scott Drive, ☎ +1 301 864-6029 ([email protected], fax: +1 301 927-6472), . Daily 10AM-5PM. At the College Park Airport, the world's oldest continually operating airport, this museum emphasizes early aviation. $4. edit
- University of Maryland - College Park, Campus Drive & US-1, ☎ +1 301 405-1000, . The flagship academic institution of the state of Maryland, founded in 1856, and centered around the McKeldin Mall quadrangle on Regents Drive. edit
- The Art Gallery, Art-Sociology Building (near Route 193 & Adelphi Rd.), ☎ +1 301 405-2763, . M,Tu,Th-Sa 11AM-4PM, W 11AM-6PM. A rotating series of exhibitions. Closed summer and between exhibitions. Free. edit
- Adele H Stamp Student Union, 3972 Campus Dr, . edit
- Mckeldin Mall, . The Mckeldin Library, Testudo, the Fountain, the sundial, the Administration building, weekly performances by student improv group. edit
- Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, Route 193 and Stadium Dr, ☎ +1 301 405-ARTS, . Catch a play, music performance, or other event at the University. edit
- Lake Artemesia Natural Area, Parking at Branchview/Ballew Ave, Berwyn Heights (Route 193 to Branchville Ave), . On the border with neighboring Berwyn Heights, this man-made lake offers fishing and a pleasant walking/biking/rollerblading trail around the circumference. Free. edit
- Paint Branch Golf Complex, 4690 University Blvd (near Route 1), ☎ +1 301 935-0330, . Open daily, seasonal hours.. Nine hole "executive" golf course, driving range and putting green. $10 for a bucket of 102 golf balls on the driving range, $18-12 for 9 holes of golf, $12-18 for 18 holes of golf, $3/day for putting green. edit
- Terrapins University of Maryland Sporting Events, 2740 Comcast Center, ☎ +1 301 314-7070 ([email protected], fax: +1 301 314-4920), . M-F 8:30AM-4:30PM. With 27 different sports, the University of Maryland offers you a choice of everything from wrestling to lacrosse to softball. While the football team has had renewed success lately, basketball rules the roost -- the Lady Terps were national champions in 2006; the men in 2002. edit
- Herbert Wells Ice Rink, 5211 Paint Branch Parkway, ☎ +1 301 277-3717, . October-April. edit
- University of Maryland College Park Official Bookstore, Stamp Student Union, ☎ +1 301 927-2510 (fax: +1 301 209-7118), . M-Th 10AM-6:30PM, F-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su noon-5PM. Get your Terrapin gear and dress like a local (or at least like a tuition-paying parent.) edit
College Park includes many fast-casual chain restaurants that cater to university students including: Potbelly's Sandwich Works, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Appleby's, Jimmy John's, and Cold Stone Creamery.
- Azteca Restaurant & Cantina, 9505 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 474-8226, . Mexican food. edit
- Bagel Place, 7423 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 779-3900 (fax: +1 301 779-5730), . 6:30AM-7PM. Cross Route 1 from campus for your coffee or bagel fix. $3-$7. edit
- Eddie's Cafe, 9823 Rhode Island Ave, ☎ +1 301 345-1791, . Chinese food & subs. edit
- Fishnet, 5010 Berwyn Rd, ☎ +1 301 220-1070. Turkish food, specializing in fish. edit
- Hanami Japanese Restaurant, 8145 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 982-9899, . Strip mall location. Sushi, noodles, hibachi, and sake. edit
- Hard Times Cafe, 4738 Cherry Hill Rd, ☎ +1 301 474-8880, . Chili, wings, and burgers. edit
- The Jerk Pit, 9078 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 982-5375, . Jamaican jerk chicken, pork, seafood & tofu. edit
- Kiyoko, 7313-H Baltimore Ave (south of campus), ☎ +1 240 764-8312, . Mon-Wed, 11 am - 11 pm Thu-Sat 11 am - 2 am Sun 11 am - 9 pm. Hibachi grill and sushi. $4 for 8 pcs. Specialty rolls. Terrayaki Chicken, Shrimp, Steak for less than $10. Combination specials! Delivery minimum $10. edit
- Marathon Deli, 4429 Lehigh Rd, ☎ +1 301 927-6717. Greek deli. edit
- Rasoi Restaurant, 8601 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 474-5951, . Indian food. edit
- Sakura Seafood Buffet, 9031 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 982-3331, . All-you-can-eat buffet with a wide selection, including sushi, hibachi, Chinese and American food. Dinner buffet $12.95 for adults.. edit
- Shen Yang Chinese Restaurant, 9905 Rhode Island Ave, ☎ +1 301 441-2250, . edit
- Unforgettable Flavors Cafe, 9348 Cherry Hill Rd, ☎ +1 301 345-2089, . Jamaican food. edit
- Backyard Sports Grill, 7313-A Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 277-8898, . Cozy and relaxed atmosphere. But like everywhere else in College Park, you never no what you are going to get. Even this tiny space can get packed with crazy party-goers. edit
- Cornerstone Grill & Loft, 7325 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 779-7044, . Seating downstairs, dancing and pool upstairs. edit
- Kangnam BBQ Sports Bar & Grill, 8503 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 240 345-5808, . This is an often overlooked spot to get a drink. The savvy few swear by this Korean restaurant as their favorite place for after-dinner drinks that turn into full-blown adventures. Sake bombs anyone? edit
- R. J. Bentley's, 7323 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 277-8898. Outdoor seating, several bars inside with more seating in an adjacent room. Part of a very lively bar scene at night with Cornerstone next door. Students frequently go back and forth between the two bars through out the night. edit
- Town Hall Liquors (8135 Baltimore Ave), ☎ +1 301 474-3322. The quintessential dive bar. It's a bar AND a liquor store. edit
- College Park Grill, 8321 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 474-4745, . Sunday – Thursday 7:00am – 10pm, Friday – Saturday 7:00am – 11pm.. Nice upscale bar and restaurant with a pleasant and casual environment with live jazz music from 530 to 9PM daily. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner with beer on tap and a selection of wine. A good alternative for those seeking a meal or drink in College Park in a more mature environment than the college student oriented bars in College Park. Located inside the Cambria Hotel with no cover. edit
- Best Western Plus College Park, 8419 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 220-0505, . $121. edit
- Clarion Inn & Fundome - College Park, 8601 Baltimore Ave (Near the University of Maryland), ☎ +1 301 474-2800 (fax: +1 301 474-0714), . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 12pm. edit
- College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, 3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, ☎ +1 301 985-7300 (fax: +1 301 985-7517), . Both luxurious and environmentally responsible. This Marriott was the country’s first green hotel and conference center. edit
- Days Inn College Park, 9113 Baltimore Blvd, ☎ +1 301 345-4900, . edit
- Hampton Inn College Park, 9670 Baltimore Ave (Just off the Beltway), ☎ +1 301 345-2200 (fax: +1 301 345-7201), . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. Free breakfast & WiFi. edit
- Howard Johnson Inn College Park, 9113 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 513-0002, . $71. edit
- Quality Inn and Suites College Park, 7200 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 276-1000, . edit
- Super 8 College Park, 9150 Baltimore Ave, ☎ +1 301 474-0894, . $72. edit
- Holiday Inn Washington- College Park (I-95), 10000 Baltimore Ave, College Park, Maryland, 20740, ☎ 301-345-6700, . checkin: 3:00pm; checkout: 12:00pm. $102. (39.0206,-76.9268) edit
Avoid walking alone at night, especially around the College Park Metrorail station. You should be fine along Route 1, but reports of muggings (sometimes violent) on the otherwise upscale-looking side streets are perennials in the student newspaper. Petty theft can also be a problem, especially from vehicles and of bicycles.
|Routes through College Park
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!