Coimbatore  is a major industrial city in Tamil Nadu, often likened to being the Manchester or Detroit of Southern India. It's famous for the manufacture of motor pump sets and varied engineering goods.
Coimbatore is known for its various industries, engineering goods, textile mills, educational institutions, health care facilities, dry-hot weather, friendly culture and hospitality. There is a significant minority of people from Northern and Western India in Coimbatore which gives it the "local Indian-cosmopolitan" outlook. The Tamil spoken here is called Kongu Tamil. Other languages spoken include English, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada. Very friendly & courteous people in South India. During Summer (Feb-May) it is very hot, the rest of the year has a manageable hot climate throughout the year. It's one of the upcoming Information Technology Hub with new initiatives from the State Govt. The locals claim they have the world's second tastiest water "Siruvani Water" after Nile, no official or scientific proof for this claim though.
Coimbatore is an orthodox city. It has developed in terms of wealth, however the general populace is still down to earth. People here don't have a flashy lifestyle, they are generally very content. Most of all the Coimbatoreans are known for the respect displayed in Tamil language towards everyone.
Tamil is the mother tongue of the natives. Picking up few words in Tamil would be helpful though many locals have a business knowledge of English. Telugu, Kannada, Urdu and Malayalam would qualify as the other languages. English is also widely spoken by many.
The city has six major arterial roads and three National Highways, NH-47 (Kanyakumari-Salem), NH-67 (Nagapattinam-Ooty) and NH-209 (Bangalore-Dindigul) passing through the city. The city has a civil airport at Peelamedu and an Airforce base at Sulur. Broad Gauge trains connect to all parts of India. A by-pass tollway was built recently to avoid unnecessary traffic into the city.
Coimbatore Airport is approximately 7 km from the center of the city, connections are mainly done with airport's own prepaid cabs. The airport currently has two operational terminals one for departure and a new arrivals building. Coimbatore airport has regular flights from many Indian cities, and Flydubai started flights in September 2009. Air Asia and Malindo Air have also expressed interest in introducing flights between Coimbatore and Kuala Lumpur. Flights to Sharjah and Singapore is operational currently. Sharjah by Air Arabia, Singapore by Silk Air.
Coimbatore Junction is well connected by trains from all major cities including Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calicut, Cochin, Chennai, Gorakhpur, Hyderabad, Kanyakumari,Tirunelveli, Jammu, Mumbai, New Delhi and Trivandrum. Other nearby train stations include Podanur Junction and Coimbatore North Junction.
- Southern Railway 
- Indian Railway reservations 
- Southern Railway
The State Transport Corporation and a lot of private buses operate from Coimbatore to major cities in Tamil Nadu like Chennai, Madurai, Tirunelveli and neighboring Kerala and Karnataka states.
KSRTC Bus Timings From Coimbatore 
There are lot of private cab services company which operate from Coimbatore to major cities in Tamil Nadu like Chennai, Madurai, Tirunelveli and neighboring Kerala and Karnataka states.
By Car Rentals
There are lot of private car rental companies who provide cars for self drive. Most of the car rental companies provide car delivery anywhere in coimbatore. By Far, They are a lot cheaper than renting a cab.
Getting around Coimbatore is easy. There are public transport buses, auto rickshaws and plenty of taxis available. Auto rickshaws can charge whatever they feel like, if they find that you are an outsider. Call taxis have a digital meter installed which will tell you the cost.Dial any fancy number to get in touch with Call taxis. Minimum charge is Rs. 40/- .and 16/12 per KM for different operators There are many call taxi operators and you can get a number from your hotel, the railway station or airport.There are also several tour operators in Coimbatore who offer day return tours to ooty,isha etc.
Temples in and around Coimbatore are:
- Anjeneyar Kovil:, Esso Bunk, Peelamedu. This Temple was recently constructed in one of the calmest localities.Offers great peace of mind and is open in the morning till 12.00PM and opens again from 5.00PM for public. Dont miss various alangaarams done for the God. edit
- Eachanaari Vinayaga Temple in Pollachi road,
- Marudhamalai Hill Temple, Anubhavi Subramniar temple which has a natural spring that spurts water throughout the year.
Perur Pateeshwarar Temple
- Perur Pateeshwarar Temple a siva temple which is more than 1000 years old with wonderful sculptures.
- Asia's biggest statue of Lord Ganesha temple in Puliakulam.
- Velliengiri hills and temple is a famous temple with a long lasting history, which is also known south Kailash. Other temples are Ayappan Pooja Sangam in Ramnagar and Ayyappan temple in New Siddhapudur, Sringeri Saradha Koil, Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Saibaba colony, Koniamman temple and Ramar temple in Ramnagar near Gandhipuram bus stand. Isha Yoga Center's SHIVA TEMPLE - Worth visiting -20 km from city. The famous Palani temple devoted to Lord Muruga is 100 km from Coimbatore.
- Anubhavi Subramaniar Temple:, Chinna Thadagam. This temple has a natural outflow, which spouts water all through the year. For this reason, the temple is quite popularly known and people never fail to make their visit. There must be 100s of steps to get to the temple, and no mechanical help available. This place is frequented by elephants and hence do not plan to visit the temple during evening hours. Don't forget to visit the Lalithambikai temple situated at its foothills. edit
- Marudhamalai Murugan Temple, Arulmigu Subramaniyaswamy Thirukoil (15 km north west of Coimbatore), ☎ 0422 2422490, . A huge temple complex, at least 1200 years old, located on a picturesque hill, you should not miss it. edit
- also you can go to Then Thiruppathi a nice place to visit with family which is located near mettupalayam.
- Athar Jamaat Masjid, (Located in Big bazaar street). A famous 100 years old Masjid edit
- G.D.Naidu Car Museum, #734 President Hall, Avinashi Road, Coimbatore - 641018 (Located in Avinashi Road). Tuesday - Saturday - 9.00am to 5.00pm / Sunday - 10.00am to 6.00pm / Monday and Public Holiday - Closed. A must visit for all science history enthusiasts. Interesting collection of inventions by G.D.Naidu who is also referred as Edison of India. Interesting science experiments. One can also see the history of Industrialisation in Coimbatore. Also on display an old motor bike which G.D.Naidu learned to assemble from an British officer after which he interested in engineering. A Germany Gift shop is attached with the museum where one can buy interesting Toys from Germany. Children will enjoy a lot. Entrance free. edit
- Kovai kutraalam, ("Located). 10.00am to 3.30pm. It is a scenic spot with a waterfall originating on the Siruvani hill ranges. edit
- There are three good water theme parks Black Thunder Near Ooty foot hills Kovai Kondattam enroute to Siruvani Dam and Maharaja Water Theme Park near Neelambur, Avinashi Road. The entry fees are 300 to 350 for adults , while children get a discount of Rs 50-100 per head.
Shopping in Coimbatore is concentrated in the areas of RS Puram, Cross-Cut Road and the Town Hall Area(Oppanakara St, Big Bazaar St, Raja St).Coimbatore,known as the Manchester of South India,is famous for textiles.Visitors to Coimbatore must not miss the dazzling array of shops selling Kanchivaram, Benares and designer sarees at Cross-Cut Road. Coimbatore is also known for its numerous jewelry stores situated along Cross-Cut Road and Town Hall Area. Leading global brands like Lee,Arrow,United Colors of Benetton, Levi’s Reebok, Adidas, Puma, Crocodile etc.,have retail outlets in D.B.Road. There are several huge textile showrooms in the city (RmKV,Pothys,The Chennai Silks,Shree Devi Textiles,Sri Ganapathy silks,Kalyan Sarees, Kalanikethan, Srinikethan etc., ) that sell ethnic wear, catering to the needs of the entire family.Sri Krishna Sweets, that specializes in Indian sweets,is famous for its Mysurpa(a sweet made from lentil flour and ghee).
BrookeFields in Brooke Bond road is a famous shopping mall which is equivalent to the malls in Bangalore, Dubai, etc..The mall 'Fun Republic' adds more color to Coimbatore Shopping. You can get all Branded dress materials, Electronics, Duty Paid shops, etc..
ATMs are available in most parts of the city with most concentrated in the commercial areas like R.S.Puram,Trichy Road and Avanashi Road.
Nilgiris is South India’s leading chain of retail stores providing consumers a shopping experience that hinges around freshness of produce, superior quality and better value. They have an outlet in R.S. Puram and another at Trichy Road. They stock most of the up-market food items like frozen and tinned foods, offering a wide range of grocery, general merchandise and personal care products. They also stock gourmet cheeses like Gouda, Colby, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Havarti, Feta, Haloumi and Camembert made by Acres Wild Cheesemaking Farm which is located in Coonoor.
When you vist Coimbatore don't forget to taste the Food & Siruvani Water. Coimbatore is an ideal stop if you want to take some rest while on the way to Ooty, Bangalore or Kerala. Don't forget to taste the best of South Indian Idlis, Dosas, Vada, Chutney and Vegetarian rice meal from the Annapoorna Chain of Veg Restaurants, Aaryaas Veg Restaurant and Non-vegetarian food from Kovai Biriyani Hotel, Angannan's, Anjappar, Sampoorna, Cockraco, Rayappas and Thalappas restaurants. Try Krishna Sweets too, the sweets chain had their origins in this town. The strong influence of the west has prevailed and resulted in numerous coffee pubs and fast food outlets.Chains like Subway,Domino's pizza,Pizza Hut,Baskin Robbins Ice cream,Marry Brown,Barista,Cafe Coffee Day,Boomerang etc., have made their presence felt among the city's elite and emerging middle class. You can also try local online food apps such as "foodkourt" for the local cuisine and its delivered at your door step.
- Hari Bavan, RTO Road & Gandhipuram 4th Street & SO Bunk, Peelamedu. Serves excellent non-veg varieties. the lunch with 4 types of gravy (fish, mutton,chicken and Nattu Kolli gravy) is famous. Dont forget to taste their karandi (omlet) and their side dish. Available only for lunch. edit
- Ajmir, Near TownHall ManiKundu. Serves excellent mutton(Beaf) and chicken Dont forget to taste their mutta poriyal and chicken fry thats great. Not only for beef lovers for chicken lovers also this is a place to be.Great 250. edit
- The Village, Near Gem Hospital or archana darchana theater GandhiPark (go via senthil hospital in gandhi park). only in evening and night. Serves a wide variety of dosas and sevai like chola, kambu, tomato, ragi, cauliflower, mushroom, babycorn, paneer dosai and seva. Don't forget to order their muttai chappathi. It's delicious. 250 for 2. edit
- paati Amma Dosai Kadai, Near Gem Hospital or archana darchana theater GandhiPark (go via senthil hospital in gandhi park). only in evening and night. Serves a wide variety of dosas and sevai like chola,kambu,tomato,ragi,cauliflower, mushroom,babycorn, panner dosai and seva. Don't forget to order butter appam yummy .The place was so small but the taste was the best. 250 for 2. edit
- Burma Bai Barotta Kadai, Nehru staduim (Near Boomerang Ice cream). Only in the evening. Serves excellent non-veg varieties. their speciality is barotta that can be made crispy or softy depending upon the user wish. Dont forget to order their pepper chicken and tomato chicken - This restaurant is closed now and a new restaurant named Madurai Amma Mess is functioning at this place. Not sure if this is the same famous Madurai Amma Mess or a local restaurant using the same name. By the way, never felt Burma Bai Restaurant deserved to be given a thumbs-up though. The rates were too high and food quality very poor. No surprise that they have closed down 350 for two. edit
- China town, Nehru staduim in the road between the park gate (ParkGate Ground it will be on a thalluvandi). Only in the evening. Serves excellent chinese items like chilly pork, dragon chicken, and their lumpfu soup price 400 for two. edit
- Four season, Non sakthi highway at karattumedu. Only in the evening till 12 in night. Serves excellent veg and non veg items even u can geta beer there nice place for party guys.Dont forget to eat their kerala chicken,kudal. price 300 for two. edit
- Hotel Blue Berry (I), Opposite VLB Arts College, Kovaipudur., ☎ 9952566746. 8 AM to 10 PM. Specialist in Biriyani (Mutton, Chicken and Fish). Serves excellent varities of Non Veg curries. Takes function orders and entertains home deliveries. You will be addicted to their Chettinad and Chengudu Chicken. Price 200 for Two. edit
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) has opened an outlet in R.S.Puram, Coimbatore - Seems to be a big hit amongst the locals here. Always crowded. Difficult to get in on the weekends. It has opened its other branches at Brooke Fields Mall and Avinashi Road also. One can feel McDonald's (MAC) has opened a outlet in Fun Mall in Avinashi Road on August 13th. after seeing the response to KFC here in Coimbatore.
- Brookfields plaza, Brookbond road, R.S.Puram. has everything from dresses like Rmkv, lifestyle,Pantaloons,reliance Trends, Max to food like KFC, Subway, Baskin Robbins, etc. edit
- Dhabas. Dhabas are very famous in coimbatore.you can have a good variety of foods with the facility of attached bars. there are many dhabas in coimbatore. There was a dhaba near maharaja world and one near ramani's mayuri, chinnavedampatti.These places were so peaceful and a good place for boys to have treats. Most of the bar have individual huts where it accommodates around 10 members. Its a best hangout place at nights. edit
- Seasons, under SKC, R S Puram. It is a place where you get good, healthy vegetarian stuff very cheaply. The good items here are corn and spinach sandwich and all fruit juices. It's usually crowded. The ice creams are so nice. edit
The Siruvani water supplied in Coimbatore is said to be one of the tastiest waters in the world, in fact the second tastiest. Don't you ever resort to buying mineral water bottles when in Coimbatore. If so, you are going to miss something really good.
All liquor stores and Bars will be closed around 10P.M. So you need to plan early if you are partying. Coimbatore is not a party town, So you cannot find many Pubs or clubs in the City. Bars in upscale hotels in the city are always an option. Bike & Barrel at The Residency tends to be a popular choice
There are a lot of budget hotels near the railway station and bus stand with single room between 150-350/day.
- Hotel City Tower, 56 Sivasamy Road, ☎ 0422 2230641, . standard A/C double room Rs.1250/- deluxe A/C double Rs.1500/. edit
- Dunag Springs Service Apartments (Dunag Springs), 12/24 Dunag Springs, Padmanabha Nagar, Civil Aerodrome, SITRA, Coimbatore (200 Mtrs from Coimbatore Airport), ☎ 4399031/32, . checkin: -; checkout: -. Dunag Springs Service Apartment , Coimbatore's Largest & Luxurious Hotel Apartment having 29 furnished apartments spread over 3 Locations (Airport, Nehru Nagar, Ramanathapuram) in town on daily rental. Wifi enabled 25 Seater A/C Conference Hall & Gym Facility Available with In House Pantry Services. 1250 onwards. edit
- Kanimani lodge, 427, 100 Feet Road Gandhipuram Coimbatore (opposite to karpagam complex), ☎ +91-0422-2526343, +91-0422-3042525. one of the best and cheapest lodge located near bus stand. well maintained and good service. located opposite to karpagam complex.just five minutes walk to cross cut road. edit
- Guestlines Service Apartments, Sivaram Nagar, Sungam bye pass road,Coimbatore, ☎ 914222302280, . Guestlines Service Apartments has 15 fully furnished rooms with free wifi & gym. Guestlines is just about 1.5km from the coimbatore railway station. 2000. edit
- Hotel Prince Gardens (Hotels in Coimbatore), 28, Kalingarayan Street, Ramnagar, Gandhipuram, Coimbatore - 641009, ☎ 0422 - 4000 9000, . Business Class Hotels Coimbatore: Book affordable rooms in Coimbatore at hotel Prince Gardens. [email protected] edit
- Hotel Srri Aswini Deluxe, 6&7,Kalingarayan Street ,Ramnagar (Coimbatore), ☎ 0422-2238771. edit
- M,K, Residency (M.K. Homes India Ltd), 145,Gokhale St, Ram Nagar,Coimbatore-641 009 (Near Senthil Kumaran Cinema Theatre), ☎ +91 422 4393636, . The M.K Residency operates similar to serviced apartment. edit
- Hive Service Apartments, 71-72, Hindustan Avenue, Udayampalayam Rd, Near Hindustan Arts College, Navaindia, Avinashi Rd, Coimbatore – 641028, Tamilnadu, INDIA., ☎ 9842213849, . The apartments are enclosed in quiet environs with a subtle ambiance and an air of comfort and convenience. edit
- Churches in Coimbatore are Infant Jesus Church in Kovaipudur, where devotees throng on Thursdays for attending the Noveena.St.Antony's Church in Puliakulam, where many devotees offered their prayers on every Tuesday, CSI Immanuel, Intouch Fellowship at the YWCA Hall. Other places of worship include Kottai Hidayathul Islam Safia Jamath Mosque in Kottaimedu
Watch out for pickpockets at Ukkadam, Townhall,and Gandhipuram bus stands. While travelling on bus, keep your valuables safe. The police code is 100.
- Coimbatore is surrounded by hill ranges and hence several picnic spots for one-day drive and back exist around Coimbatore. Some of them are: Kovai Kutrallam water falls(45 km), Monkey falls(75 km), Athikadavu stream(40km), Kallar river banks(55 km), Topslip town(90 km), Malampuzha dam(60 km),Thirumurthy waterfalls(90 km), Dhyanalinga Yogic temple & Isha Yoga centre(35 km), Vellingiri hill temple(37 km), Marudhamali Hill Temple(20 km), Vydehi Water falls(35 km), Bhavani Sagar(55km), Kodiveri(75 km) etc.Most of them are not very well known to outsiders and if you go on a working day , the tranquility would be an added advantage. And most of these roads are good, compared to Indian standards.
- See the tea plantations at Ooty or Munnar
- Waterfalls include Monkey falls on the way to Vaalpaarai hills, Kovai Kutralam near Siruvani. There are a few others on the way to Vaalpaarai and Ooty hills, and the Thirumoorthi falls near Udumalpet(65 Km)..
- Hill stations are Ooty (80 km), Valparai near Pollachi having no of sight seeing and picnic spots, Kodaikanal (180 km).
- Sanctuaries are Mudumalai Wild Life Sanctuary(150 km), Anamalai Wildlife Sanctuary(100 km), Top Slip.
- Crocodile Park in Amaravathi is near Udumalpet (65 km).
- Botanical Garden which is situated opposite to Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, which is situated on the way to Marudhamalai temple.
- Silent Valley National Park inside Kerala is just one hour drive from coimbatore.
- Biligiri Rangana Betta
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!