Clara is a town in County Offaly, Ireland. It is the 10th largest town in the midlands of Ireland. The town has a population of 3001 (2006 census), however a number of well populated housing estates lie outside the town boundary making the actual population higher. Clara has plenty of local services including churches, banks, credit union, schools, supermarkets, shops, garages, pubs, nightclubs and restaurants. It has its own Garda(police) and fire station while the Midlands regional hospital is located just seven miles away in Tullamore.
Clara railway station is on the Dublin to Galway/Westport line.
Main roads from Tullamore, Kilbeggan and Athlone. M6 motorway 10km away.
- Clara Bog. Two kilometres from the town centre lies one of the candidates being considered for inclusion as a UNESCO heritage site: Clara Bog . Clara bog contains very rare and unusual flora and is considered a very special raised bog and nature reserve. A Clara bog visitor centre is located beside the towns library. A bog boardwalk (Accessible from Ballinough, off Tullamore road) is very popular with local walkers, but is virtually unknown to visitors. The board walk allows walkers to safely cross the surface of the bog. edit
- Swim. The town has two swimming pools edit
- Golf. The town has a successful pitch and putt club. edit
- Clara Library and Bog Visitor Centre. Clara Library is open. The OPW Clara Bog Visitor Centre is due to open in spring of 2011 It will offer an insight into one of the few remaining relatively intact raised bogs just outside Clara. edit
- Bet. at John Rooney Racing. local betting shop edit
- MACE. for groceries edit
- Centre. food and groceries edit
- Peter Dunican. Pub edit
- The Mill. Bar edit
- Nigel's Place. Pub edit
- M.H. White. Pub edit
- J.J. Galvin. Pub edit
- M. Carey. Pub edit
- Doc's. Pub edit
- Jimmy Molloy. Sports Bar edit
- Thomas C. Dolan. Lounge and Off Licence edit