Chumphon (ชุมพร) is a city at the Central Gulf Coast or Royal Coast of Southern Thailand. It is the provincial capital of Chumphon Province. With numerous direct flights daily from Bangkok to the reopened Chumphon Airport in Pathio - Pathiu District. It's now the tourist gateway to the Chumphon Archipelago, including the islands of the Gulf of Thailand, Koh Tao, Koh Phangan and Koh Samui.
Bird's Nest Collectors' Bungalows perched atop Ko Ngam Noi
Chumphon Province is located in the top of Southern Thailand. With its own airport, Chumphon Airport located in Pathio District, it is known as the gateway to the southern region. Chumphon has been able to maintain its natural beauty largely untouched by mass tourism and is relatively unspoilt. Chumphon is an elongated province with 220 km of coastline offering pristine uncrowded fine-sand beaches, especially along the Pathiu's Gold Coast and Beaches like Thung Wua Laen, Bang Son and Ao Bo Mao Beach. There are plenty of opportunities for sightseeing, walking tours, sunbathing, swimming, canoeing, cave exploring, night squid fishing, fishing, yachting, paragliding, diving and snorkelling. The Province has numerous National Parks and tropical islands plus caves, waterfalls and coral reefs.
Air travel via Chumphon Airport, Pathiu District is the fastest way to get to Chumphon and onwards to the islands, alternatives include boat, rail,and bus.
Various ferry companies operate boats to Chumphon with bus service into the centre of town. For those in the islands of the Gulf of Thailand wishing to return to Bangkok, Chumphon is a more direct than returning via Surat Thani.
Chumphon Airport is located 30km north of Chumphon City in Pathio District (alternative spelling Pathiu). Nok Air has two daily flights connections with Bangkok's Don Meueng Airport - (DMK). Flights from Bangkok are around 50 minutes. The airport is located 5 minutes from the unspoilt beaches of Pathio and direct access to onwards island connections.
Airport Expansion Announced
The Department of Civil Aviation ( DCA)announced at a public meeting in Chumphon the expansion of the airport. The first stage is a 2500 million baht runway expansion, hanger, flight training school and terminal expansion to cater for wide-bodied aircraft and international passengers. The second stage of a further 2500 million baht includes a 200-bed hotel, marina and seaplane terminal. As on November 2019 the 1st Phase of the expansion of the terminal has commenced with the airport now serving 3 daily flights to Bangkok.
Airlines serving Chumphon Airport, Pathio.
The airport is served by AirAsia and Nok Air with daily flights between Bangkok (Don Muang, DMK) and Chumphon Airport, Pathio District, Chumphon (CJM).
Services at the Airport.
The airport has transit agents for onward travel to Chumphon town, Chumphon Archipelago including the islands Koh Tao, Koh Phangan and onto Koh Samui.
- Chumphon Coffee and gift shop adjacent departure gates offer latte, cappuccino and fruit smoothies.
- Counters at arrivals hall offering transfer and hotel services.
- The TAT Tourism Authority of Thailand, Chumphon has a tourism information counter offering information on the region and islands adjacent to the airline counters.
- Rental Cars can be pre-ordered and picked up or dropped off at the airport.
Transport to & from the airport
There are no meter taxi at the airport but scheduled a/c mini vans are available to Chumphon City and to the port and islands.
Agencies provide an a/c mini van service to the city for 150 baht. Contact your hotels or Fame Tour, Axara Travel by Salsa Hostel ([email protected]), Kiat Travel to arrange transfer between airport and the city.
Lomprayah, Chumphon provide an a/c mini van service to the port for departures to Koh Tao and beyond for 250 baht. Transit time is around 45 minutes.
For both services these are timed to coincide with flight arrival and departures.
The service counters can also provide connections and transfers to the nearby hotels and resorts.
Rental cars are currently not available at the airport but in Chumphon town only.
There are many smaller roads with little traffic north and south of Chumphon making it ideal for cycling tours., Chumphon has several modern bicycle shops where most parts and repairs can be made.
The Pathio District of Chumphon has generous dedicated bicycle lanes along the main coastal road, the lanes are highlighted in red paving. Grass Hopper Adventures offer 4 day cycling tours from Bangkok to Ko Samui via Chumphon. Spice Roads offer a Bangkok to Phuket 11 day tour via Chumphon and the islands.
From Bangkok, take either Phutthamonthon-Nakhon Pathom-Phetchaburi route or Thonburi-Pak Tho route (Hwy 35) then turn onto Hwy 4 (Phetkasem) at Amphoe Pak Tho, passing through Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan Provinces before arriving at Pathom Phon intersection. Take the left turn to go into Mueang Chumphon via Hwy 4001 for another 8 km.
From the Chumphon Airport north to Prachuap Khiri Khan the Pathio District has created a dedicated scenic tourist route following the coastline. The route passes numerous unspoilt beaches, caves, fishing villages and seaside temples.
The public buses service operates from two terminals.
- Southern Terminal is 11 km out of town on the Surat Thani road. Buses from Bangkok and most other places will stop there.
- City Terminal buses go to and from Hat Yai/Phuket/Ranong and some also to Bangkok.
- The Transport Co.Ltd. provides air conditioned buses from Bangkok’s Southern Bus Terminal, Borom Ratchonni Rd to Chumphon daily. For detailed information, call Tel. +66 2435 5605,
- Chok Anant Tour. Tel. 0 2435 5027, (Bangkok), and Tel. 0 7751 1480, (Chumphon)
- Suwannathi Tour. Tel. 0 2435 5021, (Bangkok), and Tel. 0 7751 1422 (Chumphon)
Large a/c buses with onboard toilet from all companies depart a few times each day (1pm, 2pm daily). Buy tickets on the same day inside the modern bus terminal , travel time to Bangkok is 7 hours to reach Bangkok. Tickets range from B380 to B590 one way. Minibus from Surat Thani will cost B170 and takes about 2.5 hours.It arrives in the minibus street as listed below.
To get to and from bus terminals
- Southern bus terminal - To get into town use the silver coloured minibus, these minibuses also go to and from Hua Hin, Surat Thani. 50 baht and drop off at a place you request (as at June 2012). To get the terminal hire a taxi or take a white songthaews at Pinijkadee Rd (on the right and walk along this for about 100 m) Cost: 50 baht.
- City Bus Terminal - At Prachauthid Rd walk 300m to the 7-11 on your right and a street opposite. On this street, which curves sharply left, there is a Yamaha dealer and the bus terminal is nearby.
- Minibus terminal - Located on Krum Liang Rd up an alley a series of minibuses go to Surat Thani and Prachuap/Hua Hin (every 50 minutes from 5.30am to 6pm to Hua Hin). Hua Hin 4hrs ( change bus at Prachuap) Prachuap 180 baht plus Hua Hin another 90 baht.
The railway station is in the centre of Chumphon town, another station is located north in Pathio which is closer to the Chumphon Airport.
The State Railway of Thailand provides daily rapid and express train services departing from Bangkok’s Hualamphong Railway Station. Further information, call Tel. 1690, +66 2220 4334 or Chumphon Railway Station at Tel +66 7751 1103. For the Thonburi Railway Station (Bangkok Noi), there are ordinary and rapid trains leaving for Chumphon and Pathiu daily. For further information, call tel +66 2411 3102 or +66 2621 8701 or http://www.railway.co.th.
From Hua Hin the fare for the basic non-air conditioned train is 99 baht and takes about 4 hours. An air conditioned two-carriage train (423 baht) leaves a little earlier and is much quicker (approximately 3 hours) but must be booked in advance. Train leaves around 11:30am (there are others though).
To orient yourself within this City:
From the railway station, go directly ahead, and you will come to a 4 way intersection. Directly ahead on the left is where the night street eats are, and further along you will see a large aircon shopping complex on the right. A little further along on the right is a laneway which leads to the minibuses to and from Prachuap and Surat Thani.
To the right of the 4 way intersection, on the left hand side, is the Fame Guest House a little further along, then at Soi 4 on the left is the Paradorn Hotel about 100 metres along. On the other side of this road are also a couple of other hotels.Another 4 way intersection is next and to the right (then 2 streets left) are the minibuses to Ranong. To the left of the intersection and a couple of hundred metres along on the left is the in town bus station.
Local public Bus
Local public buses (Route: Chumphon – Sawi – Lang Suan) park in front of the Chumphon market, Tha Taphao Rd from 06:00-18:00.
Motorbike taxi at railway station and around the city
Taxis are available at the taxi stand which is opposite the Chumphon Bus Terminal, the in-town terminal.
From the Chumphon Bus Station buses go to Ranong, then Phuket (08:00, 10:00, 11:15). Pay on the bus. To Ranong is 2.5 hours, and Phuket, 7 hours (although the bus is usually an hour late arriving!) The bus goes first to the distant (10 km out-of-town) terminal. See above on how to get to and from.
There are local songthaews but you need local knowledge to know where they are going. White and maybe red ones appear to go at some point to the distant bus terminal (see earlier).
If you want to go to Sairee Beach, 15km out of town, take a songteow from next to the Chumphon Post Office, Praminmanka Rd - it leaves about 200 metres from where the white songteows to the Bus terminal go in Pinijkadee Rd and you turn to the left out of that road. They go to and from about every 30 minutes.The songteows are large trucks - you cannot miss them! Cost is B30 for the trip and the beach is worth a look.
Rent a motobike
You can rent a motobike at Fame Tour & Service. 300 baht/day for an automatic and 250 bht/day for a manual bike. There is also another shop which rent motobikes, at 5 min walking from Fame tour.The shop is on Phorramin Mankha Rd. About 300m from the intersection with Navan Ruanjai Road. Facing the railway, the shop is on the right side of the road. There is a small read sign on the wall (bike for rent). Price is 200 baht for a manual and 300 baht for an automatic.
Pathio Coast & Beaches around Chumphon Airport - Northern Districts
The Pathio Coast & Beaches often referred to as Chumphon's "Royal Gold Coast" stretches 30km in the area adjacent to Chumphon Airport in Pathiu. There is wide variety of beaches and bays from small limestone coves to long open beaches. Untouched, the area has a number of bungalow and beach resorts. Due to its close location to the airport, it's the easiest point of entry to Chumphon and beyond to Ko Tao and the islands. A number of luxury eco style tourist developments are under construction, opening in 2018 to create Thailand's Côte d'Azur.
- Thung Wua Laen - Running Bull Beach - Pathiu District. A long white sand beach located in Pathio District 15km north from the city and 19 km south of Chumphon Airport. Thung Wua Laen Beach has a lot of great activities like diving, snorkeling, kayaking, kite surfing, beach sports. The beach has numerous resorts, bars and restaurants.
- Bang Son Beach, Pathiu, Chumphon. 10 Kilometers of white sand beach, the bay is mostly untouched with some resorts under construction. The bay is 7 km south of the Chumphon Airport with Khao Dinsor nearby and located between Ao Bo Mao Beach and Thung Wua Laen. edit
- Laem Thaen Pathiu District - A peninsula located between Ao Bang Son and Ao Bo Mao and nearby the Chumphon Airport. Gently sloping from the mainland the peninsular has spectacular cliff view of the surrounding area and islands. A series of viewing pavilions are located on the east side of the outcrop. A new tourism lookout is under construction at the tip of Laem Thaen focused around Prince Chumphon. View the sunsets from the southern tip of the cape.
- Ao Bo Mao - Spring Tree Bay - The main beach of Pathio District (also spelt as Pathiu) is named Ao Bo Mao. It consists of fine white sand and stretches for several kilometres along a paved road. The beach of Ao Bo Mao is ideal for travellers, who appreciate peace, nature and long walks on the beach. There are a number of bungalow resorts and restaurants along the beach, all relatively far apart. In 2015 a number of new or refurbished small resorts have opened along with 2 cafe. The beach is 1 km from Chumphon Airport with direct flights to Bangkok daily on Nok Air. Boats can be hired at the beach to the nearby Ko Khai (Egg Island), the trip takes 15 minutes to a small mountainous island with coral reefs and a single sand beach. A Giant Clam sanctuary is being developed off the island by local environmentalists.
- Cape Pathiu - Chum Ko, Pathiu District - A small fishing village and headland that is being developed to a new tourism hub with Lomprayah high-speed ferry connections to the islands of the Chumphon Archipelago later in 2016. Opposite the village is Ko Khai Island and the nearby the KMITL University - Chumphon campus. Cape Pathiu has located about 1 km from the Chumphon Airport. The area features Thailand's only seaside rice terraces. The Lomprayah High-Speed Ferry Pier is nearing 100% completion and scheduled to open in late 2017. In the medium term, this area is expected to form a transport hub with the highspeed train from Bangkok and additional airlines planning services to nearby Chumphon airport.
- Coral Beach Pathiu District - Magnificent crescent shaped beach with small island outcrops in the bay. The white sand beach is a ecozone and is known for its giant clams sanctuary which lies about 500m offshore. A resort, condominium, bar and restaurant will open at Coral Beach in 2016.
- Ao Thung Zang (อ่าวทุ่งซาง) Pathiu District - One of the most beautiful and unspoilt beaches in Thailand. The bays are separated by an outcrop of limestone rocks. On the north side lies Ao Thung Zang, with a white sand beach that stretches for 1 km bordered by coconut trees. The bays are about 35 km from Chumphon and 10 km north of Chumphon Airport.
Mueang Chumphon - Chumphon City, Lang Suan, Phato and the Southern Districts
- Khao Phang Forest Park (วนอุทยานเขาพาง). About 12 km south of town, about km493 on Hwy 4. Khao Phang Forest Park is one of the province’s newest attractions. Within the national park, there are a great variety of tropical trees, making the park a shady and restful sojourn for nature lovers and a must for students of forestry. A hill, covering an area of about one square kilometre, is located behind the park providing a commanding view of the entire area.
- Mo Ku Chumphon National Park (National Park Visitors Centre), towards Hat Sai Ri (take local bus near PO or see local travel agent). Take the wooden bus to the fairly new and surprisingly modern visitors centre. Walk the boardwalks through the mangrove forests and over creeks. Ask at centre for other walks available. The actual national park area of Chumphon Province is huge and takes in islands, reefs, beaches, jungle, mountain, creeks, ocean and mangroves. You can stay overnight here--there's a camping area, and bungalows at the Pong Pang Viewpoint go for 600 baht per night and accommodate 2 persons—add 100 baht for each extra person. Dorm beds with no bedding for 50 baht. There are also two restaurants. A good place to visit to make the best of your stay in Chumphon. entry: 200 baht. edit
- Hat Sai Ri Sairee Beach -See Prince of Chumphon Shrine below.
- Khao Chao Mueang (เขาเจ้าเมือง). About 2.4 km from Hat Sai Ri is Khao Chao Mueang, the district’s highest observation point. Its panoramic views of the coast and far out into the distant archipelago are rivalled only by the peace and tranquillity offered by the secluded beach located at the base of the mountain.
- The National Museum of Chumphon (พิพิธภัณฑสถานแห่งชาติชุมพร), +66 77 504 105/4246, . Any trip to Chumphon should start at the national museum. Established in 1995 at Khao Samkaew, the museum provides a provincial overview, ranging from prehistory through to the present. Even for those who are not overly interested in history, the museum’s attractive displays and media resources will fascinate and inform. The museum is divided into ground floor and the upper floor, and is open to the public from Wednesday to Sunday, 09:00–16:00.
- Prince of Chumphon Shrine (ศาลเจ้าพ่อกรมหลวงชุมพร)/Hat Sairee (Sairee Beach หาดทรายรี), Moo 7 Tambon Sai Ri. It is 20 km from Chumphon city centre, along Hwys 4119 and 4098. To get here, use a songteow to Sairee Beach. See above in "Songteows". It is right at the corner as the songteow turns to run along the beach road. This is a sacred place for the people of Chumphon and nearby provinces. At the shrine stands the monument of Admiral Phra Borommawong Thoe Kromluang Chumphon Khet Udomsak. The shrine is on the north side of Hat Sai Ri facing towards the sea. There is a museum with exhibits of the admiral. A large torpedo boat named the Royal Chumphon is also here. It is 68 m long and 6.55 m wide. This ship was decommissioned on 26 November 1975. The Royal Thai Navy turned over the ship to Chumphon Province in 1979. After that it was placed near this monument in commemoration of the admiral. See above how to get to Sairee Beach.
- Wat Chao Fa Sala Loi (วัดเจ้าฟ้าศาลาลอย). About 8 km from town on the Chumphon–Ao Thung Wua Laen road. To get there, travel along an asphalt road for 6 km and continue the journey along a brick road for another 2 km. At this temple lived Luang Pho Song Chanthasaro, a famous religious teacher who passed away at the age of nearly 100 years. His body remains undecayed. This monk is revered by the people of Chumphon and nearby provinces.
Activities In and Around Chumphon. A wide range of self-made or organised sightseeing tours by rental car, local bus or motorbike are available in Chumphon. Snorkelling at local unspoiled islands, rafting and jungle trekking, night squid fishing, canoeing, fishing, kite surfing, fire fly watching, shooting range, walks, visit temple caves, beaches, caves, golf, massage and festivals. edit
- Visit Fruit Gardens and Farms (เยี่ยมชมสวนผลไม้) A variety of tropical fruit gardens such as orange, Papaya, Mangosteen, Durian, Dragon Fruit, Coffee and orchid flower gardens.
- Lang Suan Fruit Fair, Lang Suan District. Lang Suan’s Fruit Fair is annually held in August, the harvest time of many kinds of fruits, such as, rambutan, durian and zalacca to build the reputation of fruit markets in Chumphon. The fair is held in Lang Suan District, on Highway no. 41, 76 km from Chumphon city. Tourists can taste, select and buy many kinds of fruit for themselves. edit
- Snorkeling and Diving (ดำน้ำชมปะการัง) There are 44 islands located in Chumphon Archipelagio many with coral reefs. At Thung Wua Laen beach, Pathiu - north of Chumphon you can find the Wet Cats Center and a number of other dive shops.
- Phato Rafting (เดินป่าและล่องแพ อำเภอพะโต๊ะ) Phato Rafting is held in February of every year. The main activities are ecological rafting, exhibitions, and the sale of local products. The forestland in Phato is the source of many fast flowing rivers. Terrain includes forests, fruit farms, canals are huge islets. Hence, adventurous activities are held in Phato Canal throughout the year. At the origin of the canal is the thick forest where many rare kinds of wildlife are found, for example, dusky langurs, monkeys, hornbills. They live freely in the forests surrounding the canal. Some parts of the canal are durian farms, coffee fields and mangosteen gardens. Trips can include hiking, camping or ride an elephant rides.
- Fireflies Sightseeing (ล่องเรือชมหิ่งห้อย) At sundown the Thatapao River is are swarms of fireflies from the Lamphu trees along the river, these emit a a magic light.
- Bird Watching(ดูนก) Chumphon province has a long connected coastline with North Asia. Numerous species of bird inhabit the mangrove forest and also migrate along the coastline from Thailand between Malaysia, Indonesia or Singapore and onwards to Australia and Russia.
- Shooting (ยิงปืนระบบรณยุทธ) Extreme sports and shooting. The shooting stadium (outdoor-indoor), restaurant, swimming pool, fitness center and the professional trainer. Located at Arparkorn Rd. (Mueang Chumphon-Hat Thungwaulaen, Pathio), 2 km from the Government Center of Chumphon.
- Raptor Festival, Khao Dinsor (About 7km from Chumphon Airport and nearby Bang Son Beach), . The Raptor Festival is held in October in Chumphon. The province is the region’s land bridge, located on the migration route of hundreds of thousands of birds. They pass Chumphon to Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Australia. The activities on the mountain lookout include raptor watching and counting the birds plus a raptor exhibition edit
Pathio Coast and Beaches (nearby Chumphon Airport)
- Cafe MeM, 181 Moo 6 Tambon Chumko, Pathiu, Chumphon, Thailand, ☎ 087 893 9131, . European style cafe with pastry, cakes coffees and pasta's. Nearby the KMITL University edit
- Ruen Cha Mao Restaurant, Ao Bo Mao Beach, Pathio Chumphon ( Spring Tree Bay) (Nearby Chumphon Airport, Pathio directly on the beach), ☎ +6677512070. A timber building with the restaurant upstairs the cuisine is Thai seafood caught by local fisherman. Popular with locals from Chumphon town on the weekends. Cute Thaï ceramics used for decoration. Good views of the bay and island. edit
- Krua Lung Pod ( Uncle Pod Restaurant ), Ao Bo Mao Beach, Pathio Chumphon (Right on the beach, 1.5 km from Chumphon Airport, Pathio), ☎ +6677512065. Thai seafood restaurant located on the beach. Sit in an open sala with views if the long white sand beach and Ko Khai Island. Extensive range of Thai seafood dishes with a full English menu. edit
- Pirates Terrace, 54/7 Thung Wua Laen Beach, Saplee, Pathiu, Chumphon, Thailand, ☎ +66830666772, . Restaurant and coffeshop, International and thai cuisine - Thai, english, French speaking. Pizza and Thai food. edit
- Sara Resort, 40/1 Moo. 1 Banathap, Bang Son, Pathiu, Chumphon, (About 3 km south of Chumphon Airport), ☎ +6689 310 9989, . Balcony indoor outdoor restaurant featuring classic italian and american dishes. edit
- Night market, Krum Luang Rd (walk straight out from the railway station, past the vintage rail locomotives, and cross the intersection). At Feb 2018, most of the stalls only did shellfish omelette, vastly different from the selection available just a year or so earlier. There are tables and chairs to the rear with cutlery etc. If you want beer or other drinks, buy them at the 711 at the end of the street eats line (they will open bottles for you). Sit, eat watch and enjoy! Stalls with seasonal durian (whole or ready-to-eat) are on the right-hand side furthest from the rail station. edit
- Farang Bar, 69/36 Thatapao Rd (opposite Chumphon Gardens Hotel), ☎ +66 77 501 003, . Great western and authentic Thai food. Generous portions and resonable prices. Strong cocktails and aussie-cold beer. Really friendly staff - and a Farang at this award winning eatery. edit
- Morning Market, Pracha Uthit Rd to Poramin Manka Rd. Bustling early morning market, also has curry stalls and local prices are usually asked. There are often light trucks outside on Pracha Uthit Rd piled high with seasonal fruits such as pineapple, rambutan, and durian. edit
- Papa's Night Club, (opposite the train station on right corner). Starts 21:30, does not really get going until about 23:00. Closes 01:30. Good bands, DJ,and dancers. No cover charge. Take your own spirits, 200 baht corkage fee plus purchase of mixers and ice buckets. edit
Tourist Accommodation is in 2 key areas:
- Pathio Coast & Beaches, 20 km of scenic coastline and beaches in including Ao Bo Mao, Ban Son, Saphli and Thung Wa Laen, all nearby the airport.
- Chumphon City, the commercial hub of the province and 37 km from the airport.
Pathio Coast & Beaches (nearby Chumphon Airport)
Ao Bo Mao Beach 3km from the Chumphon Airport. With recent construction room accommodation has doubled in 2014.
- Had Suay Resort, Ao Bo Mao Beach, Pathio, Chumphon (Spring Tree Bay), ☎ +6677512049. Basic Modern and clean bungalows right on the beach. New colourful deluxe rooms and suite open Oct 2014. Cable TV and A/C. Most rooms have a small terrace facing the sea. Views of the long white sand beach and Ko Khai island. No restaurant. Free pickup from nearby Chumphon Airport, Pathio. 3km from Chumphon Airport edit
- Ruen Cha Mao Resort, Ao Bo Mao Beach, Pathio, Chumphon ( Spring Tree Bay), ☎ +6677512070. Simple two room bungalows with hot shower, a/c and cable tv. Mini Kitchen. Restaurant located across the road beachside and small local mini-mart next door. 2.5 Km from Chumphon Airport edit
- Lung Pod Gao Resort, Ao Ba Mao Beach, Pathio, Chumphon, ☎ +6677521065. New resort 2014 with 6 A/C Bungalows, H/W, A/C, Cable TV. The resort is opposite the beachside seafood restaurant of the same name. 4km from the Chumphon Airport edit
- Blij Fha Beach Resort, Ao Bo Mao Beach, Pathio, Chumphon ( Spring Tree Bay) (Formally Pathiu New Beach ,About 2km from Chumohon Airport, Pathio, Chumphon), ☎ +66990514659. Newly renovated and colorful rooms located opposite the beach. New retaurant and bar under construction, March 2015. Restaurant has beach and island views. Free Wifi. 1000 baht and up. edit
- Rain Rim Hard Guest House (Ruen Rim Had Guest House), Ao Bo Mao Beach, Pathio Chumphon ( Spring Tree Bay) (On the beach about 5km from Chumphon Airport, Pathio.), ☎ +66860354565. Beach bungalows opposite the beach. 3km from Chumphon Airport. edit
- Pinery Resort, Southern end of Ao Bo Mao Beach, Pathio, Chumphon, ☎ +66897261687, . Brand new resort Jan 2015, Absolute beach front, Modern 1 bedroom bungalows with large bathroom, singles and king bed, cable tv, ref and A/C. A coffee shop with snacks opertaes next door 2.5 Km from Chumphon Airport price=" Around 1000 baht per night email [email protected] " edit
Bang Son 5km south from the Chumphon Airport. The first resorts are opening here in Q4 2014.
- La Maison de la Santé, 17/3 Mu1, Bang Son, Pathiu (About 5 km south of Chumphon Airport), ☎ +66860601177, . New Alternative & Holistic Health Spa & Beach Resort edit (Opens March 2015)
- Sara Resort, 40/1 Moo. 1 Banathap, Bang Son, Pathiu, Chumphon, (About 3 km south of Chumphon Airport), ☎ +6689 310 9989, . New luxury boutique hotel with 11 ocean facing suites, American - Italian style Restaurant and Bar and infinity pool $100 to $250. edit (Opened Nov 2014)
Thung Wua Laen Beach & Saphli Beach 25km from the Chumphon Airport
- Armonia Village Resort and Spa, 85 Moo 5, Nachaang, Pathio - Thung Wua Laen - (Running Bull Beach), ☎ +6677622899, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Sixteen kilometres from Chumphon on Thung Wua Laen Beach. Eighteen cottage pool view and 50 villas all fully furnished, ready for rent daily, monthly or yearly. The Village has 2 swimming pool, 1 international restaurant, 1 pizzeria and beer garden, fitness center and spa is also available for all guest. 20km from Chumphon Airport editprovince.
- Albatross Guesthouse, 14/7-8 Thungwualaen Road, Pathiu, Chumphon, Thailand. Albatross Guesthouse is a 10 -minute walk from Thung Wua Laen Beach. It offers comfortable guest rooms. Free Wi-Fi is available in the entire area. On-site parking is provided. All rooms feature air conditioning, a satellite TV and a refrigerator. The rooms have an en suite bathroom and a balcony. The guest house provides luggage storage service at the front desk. For guests’ convenience, laundry service is also available. Local eateries are located within a 5-minute walk from the residence. 20Km from Chumphon Airport From 350baht per night. edit
- Chumphon Cabana Resort & Diving Center/Hotel, 69 Moo 8 Thung Wua Laen Beach, Pathio 86230, Thailand, ☎ +66 7756 0245, . Chumphon Cabana Resort & Diving Center is located at Thung Wua Laen Beach on the Chumphon coastline. The resort offers Standard Room, Superior Bungalow Garden View, Superior Bungalow Sea View and Wheelchair Accessible Bungalow Sea View categories. Resort facilities include a swimming pool, children's pool, restaurant, lobby bar, Thai and oil massage service, laundry service, mini mart, tour desk, PADI dive school, money exchange and function rooms. Activities on offer include sightseeing, snorkelling, white water rafting, fruit valley rafting and BBQ squid trapping tour. About 20 km from Chumphon Airport from 1500 baht per day. edit
- Clean Wave Resort, 54 Moo.8 Thung Wua Laen Beach, Saphlee, Pathiu, Chumphon, Thailand 86230, ☎ + 66 77 560151, . Clean Wave Resort is located in Pathio district of Chumphon. This resort offers beach-side bungalows ranging in sizes that accommodate only 2 people, up to 2-bedroom large suites. 20km from Chumphon Airport 400 to 2500 baht. edit
- Nana Beach Hotel, 0/2 Moo. 8 Thung Wua Laen Beach, Pathiu, 86230 Chumphon, Thailand , Chumphon, ☎ +66 77 622 999, . Situated in the heart of Thung Wua Lean Beach, Nana Beach Hotel is 15 km from Chumphon City Centre and 20 km from Chumphon Airport. It boasts an outdoor swimming pool and a poolside bar. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi and parking. Each room at the hotel is equipped with air conditioning, a cable TV and a private balcony overlooking garden. The rooms also feature an en suite bathroom with shower facilities. There is a tour desk and ticketing service to help guests with sightseeing and travel arrangement. Boasting sea views, the beachfront restaurant offers a wide selection of Thai cuisine and fresh seafood. 1300 Baht. edit
- Saphli Villa, 40 Manucipality 10, Saphli beach Saphli, Pathiu, Chumphon 86230, ☎ +66 7762 2996, . aphli Villa is located on the finest beachfront in Saphli Bay.Saphli Villa is a 10-minute drive from Thungwaulene Beach. It features a private beach and offers cosy accommodation. Free Wi-Fi and on-site parking are available.Bungalows feature a private balcony, a cable TV and a fridge. They also have an electric kettle. En suites bathroom are fitted with shower facilities. Guests can relax with massage services offered at the residence. The resort has a garden as well as a sun terrace.Saphli Restaurant offers a selection of Thai and European cuisines. 15km from Chumphon Airport 1300 to 1500 baht. edit
- Baan Talay Thung Wua Laen, 54/13 Thung Wua Laen Beach, Moo 8, Saplee, Pathiu, Chumphon, 86230 Chumphon, ☎ +66 7762 2887, . Located on the beach of Pathiu District in Chumphon, Baantalay Thungwualaen offers modern air-conditioned rooms with free Wi-Fi and free toiletries. The hotel provides shuttle service, tour arrangements and free private parking. It is 18 kms from Chumphon Airport, Pathiu. Rooms at Baan Talay Thung Wua Laen are fitted with a refrigerator, a cable TV and a DVD player. An electric kettle and a safety deposit box are provided.Breakfast is served daily at the lobby area. There are several dining options along the beach with restaurants serving both Thai and International dishes. Baan Talay can also help to organise pick-ups for guests arriving by air at Chumphon Airport or by train or bus. edit
Chumphon City (Muang Chumphon)
- A-Te Chumphon Hotel, 36 Thataphao Road, Tambon Thataphao, Amphoe Muangchumphon, Chumphon, Thailand, ☎ +66 77 503222, . A-Te Chumphon Hotel is located in Chumphon, Thailand. It offers 56 stylish and well-appointed rooms and suites, all of which have air-conditioning, room security keycard system, IDD, safety box, in room internet broadband, mini bar and complimentary coffee and tea making facilities. Some of A-Te Hotel Chumphon's facilities and services include swimming pool, fitness center, meeting facilities/banquet room, room services, 24 hours security, baggage handling, massage services, car rentals, airport transfer, laundry services, medical services, parking lot, wake-up call and wireless internet access. edit
- Salsa Hostel (ซัลซ่าโฮสเทลชุมพร), 25/42 Krommaluang Rd, ☎ +66 77 505 005, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Hotel standards at hostel prices. Friendly staff are willing to assist guests to get ferry tickets, provide information and so on. The hostel runs its own travel agency. All you need about travel and getting around, air tickets, ferry tickets, airport transfer, etc. The hostel offers also a day pass allowing transients to spend a few hours in the hostel while waiting for trains or ferries. The hostel also offers an all-you-can-eat breakfast which includes eggs at your preference, bread, fresh milk, butter, cornflakes, marmalade, yogurt, tea & coffee. Other items such as sausages, juice, etc. are served at extra charge. Breakfast is also available for non-guests for 100 baht. Free Wi-Fi throughout. 280 baht. (10.500966949052453,99.18037533760071) edit
- Santavee New Rest House, 4 Thatapao Rd, next to Suda (second entrance: Saladaeng Soi 3 - The Lane Bangkok Bank), ☎ +66 77 502 147. Run by a very friendly and welcoming family. Clean rooms, lovely garden, bicycle, and motorbike hire, helpful with local directions. Spacious fan room with shared bathroom 250 baht, Private room with en-suite bathroom 400 baht. edit
- Suda's Guesthouse, 8 Thatapao Rd, ☎ +66 77 504 366. Friendly owners, but might try to sell you something. Twin room with fan 250 baht, with A/C 350 baht. edit
- Suriya Hotel, Salandaeng Rd. checkout: 12:00. Cheap hotel. Rooms are big and nice, little dusty. Asian toilet. Get an free bottle of water when check in. 190 baht for an single fan room with double bed. 280 baht for a twin room (fan). edit
- Fame Guest House, 188/20-21 Saladang Rd (front of Saladang Soi 6, 200 m from Chumphon train station), ☎ +66 77 571 077, . checkout: 11:00. Clean 10-room fan-only guest house. Here you can book transfers to Ko Tao (600 baht) and anywhere else in the south of Thailand. Has a restaurant and bar with Thai and Euro food.Large bottle of Chang beer, 100 baht. Also a comprehensive Western menu. Internet. Car and motorbike rental. Three basic rooms: 1 bed, shared outside bathroom, 150 baht. One double room, outside bathroom, 200 baht. Six double rooms with bathroom and hot shower, 300 baht. These prices the same at Dec 2014.. edit
- Farang Bar, 69/36 Thatapao Rd (ask someone. Chumphon is small.), ☎ +66 77 501 003. Farang Bar is a basic guest house with rooms with shared bathroom and free Wi-Fi. The bar and restaurant gets a steady stream of local expats as well as plenty of tourists on their way to the islands or other parts of Thailand.Large bottle of Chang beer, 80 baht. The staff speak a fair amount of English. The offerings include 50 baht 330 ml beers, Western and Thai food. 150-200 baht. edit
- Paradorn Hotel, Soi 4, Saladaeng Rd. checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. This hotel is air conditioned. Rooms are good and clean, there is a lift, and staff speak some English. Cost is B500 for aircon as at Nov 2016 it was B460), but there are cheaper and dearer rooms. Breakfast (American,) is available at B50 per person - buy your ticket at reception). The hotel is close to both the railway station(some 400 m) and the in-town bus station (similar distance) From the train station, walk past the three stationary steam locos, turn right at the intersection, walk a couple of hundred metres, and turn left into Soi 4. edit
Aircon hotel, with a lift and breakfast included in the price. The food is a buffet, and you can have an omelette cooked to order.
Price is B590, and quite worth it. It is located close to and opposite the minibus stop to Ranong.
- Ko Samet, Chumphon (เกาะเสม็ด) - One of a group of islands belonging to Chumphon’s National Marine Park. Not to be confused with its better known namesake off the coast from Rayong. This island can be reached from boats departing from Moo 1, Pak Nam, about 8 km from Chumphon. To get there, first take the bus to Pak Nam along Hwy 4119 (Chumphon-Pak Nam), about 17 km. Then take a boat from the shore for 30 minutes to get there.
- Ko Tao - Well-known as the best diving site in the Gulf of Thailand. Its turquoise water is crystalline. Coconut plantations cover much of the landscape and many beaches are easily accessible by paved road.
- Ko Nang Yuan Unique small island for diving and snorkelling
There are several transportation options to Ko Tao from Chumphon:
- Tha Yang Pier - Boats depart from Tha Yang Pier which is 7 km from town and can be reached by taxi. The ride takes 20 minutes. Detailed information for the boat arrival and departure can be obtained by telephoning +66 77 553 0524. Ko Charoen Car Ferry and Talaysab Car Ferry offer transfer from Chumphon to Ko Tao in bunk bed with air-con. Ko Charoen leaves Tha Yang Pier for Ko Tao every M, W, F at 23:00 and arrives in Ko Tao at 05:30, while Talaysab Ferry leaves every Tu, Th, Sa at 23:00 and arrives in Ko Tao at 05:30. A ticket costs 400 baht. Tourists can get tickets including transfer from town to the pier from the travel agencies in town for the price of 450 baht. There is no car ferry service on Sunday but a modified fishing boat on which the tourists get the mattress with fan.
- Songserm - Boat leaves from Mattapon Pier daily at 07:00 and arrives Ko Tao at 09:30. From Ko Tao, the departure time for Chumphon is 14:30 and arrival is at 17:30. For further information, contact tel. +66 22 807 897 or 77 456 274.
- Lomprayah - Boat leaves from Ao Thung Makham Noi Pier at 07:00 and 13:00 and arrives Ko Tao at 08:45 and 14:45 respectively. From [Ko Tao], the boat departs for Ao Thung Makham Noi Pier at 10:15 and 14:45, arriving at 11:45 and 16:15 respectively. Lomprayah also has connections to Chumphon Airport, Pathio and flights direct to Bangkok. If you are a cyclist and wish to bring your bike on the catamaran with you there is an additional charge of 500baht on top of the pp fare of 600baht to Kho Tao.
In Q3 2016 Lomprayah will move its pier nearby the Chumphon Airport at Cape Pathiu, Chumko, Pathio. The pier currently under construction will enable a direct connection by air and reduce the bus trip Bangkok by 90 minutes.
There are minibuses to Prachuap on the way to Bangkok, and to Surat Thani. There are none to Phuket.There are some to Ranong, but from a different location.
From the in town bus station, a bus to Phuket will cost B350,and a free meal is included at Takuapa, some 5.5 hours along. The bus takes a total of 8.5 hours for the trip. It also stops at Ranong (cost B110, and takes three hours)
Timetable written on the window is not correct! Times to Phuket (at Nov 2016, as asked at the office) are - 5.00, 7.30, 9.30, 11.30, 14.30. Pay on the bus and not at the office.
This bus station also sells tickets to Bangkok, and buses now go from here on a regular basis. Times are 0900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 2130. Buy your ticket on the bus.
Minibus to Ranong goes from Thatapoa Road (actually pronounced Tatapow).It is close to the intersection of Taweesinka Rd and Saladaeng Road, 50 meters right of "The Farang Bar". Turn into Taweesinka on the right with the Suriwong Hotel on the corner to your right.Walk about 200 metres and Thatapoa Rd is on your left. Minibuses are about 300 metres along, on the right. They go every hour from 7am to 5pm. Price is 150 Baht (March 2017).
Chumphon Airport, Pathiu - 38 km North of the City is served by Nok Air with 2 daily flights to Bangkok