Chios is a Greek island in the Aegean Sea 8km off the Turkish coast.
The population's about 52,290 according to the 2001 census, with an area of 904km². The port of Chios or Chora is the island's chief town. The island is famous for its scenery and good climate. Its chief export is mastic but it also produces olives, figs, and wine. Its international fame is based on the size and quality of its shipping community.
- Agios Minas
- Chios island
- Oinouses island
- Psara island
Cities & villages
There are daily flights from Athens airport by Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines. In addition, you can fly to Chios from several other Greek islands such as Mytiline , Samos, Rhodes, Heraclion and Limnos with Sky Express. In the summer time there are also flights from Thessalonika and Rhodes 2-3 times a week. Astra Airlines has scheduled flights from Thessaloniki.
From May till October charter airlines fly directly to Chios from some European airports.
- Lilleput from Oslo Norway once a week;
- Transavia from Amsterdam Holland twice a week;
- Austrian From Vienna Austria once a week.
You can take the boat from Pireaus once a day (twice a day in the summer) from NEL Lines or Hellenic Seaways or Kabala (operational only in the summer). There is also regular trips from Samos and Lesvos all year round.
Çeşme on Turkish mainland just opposite Chios also has ferry connections with the island. The all year round service costing €23 one-way pp (or €40 return) departs at 11AM from Çeşme and takes roughly an hour. Those doing the trip to the island as a day trip can take the return ferry to Turkey departing 17:00 (except Sundays, when it departs at 16:00) from Chios.
You can bring a car using the boats, or you can rent one there. Chios is a big island and if you want to get around (out of the place where you are staying you have to have wheels) you better rent a car or motorbike. Renting a bicycle is also an option if you are not travelling big distances.
- Nea Moni
- Castle of Chios
- To Mestousiko, Mesta, Chios (East of the main square), ☎ 76458. Daily 10:00-23:00 (or later). Small grill with outdoor seating, run by George and Marina Pannadi year-round. The menu has grilled sandwiches, souvlaki, and Greek (horiatiki) salads. Located a block from the town square directly behind the new church of Taxiarchis (Archangels). To reach the restaurant, walk to the right and turn into the first alley. When you see the church, turn right. in expensive. edit
- Amarandos Apartments, Vokaria, Nenita, ☎ +30 6932528698, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Sea view apartments just 15meters from the beach with amazing view of the Aegean and the Asia Minor. Hiden from the noise and mass turism ,ideal from relaxing 50-100. edit
- Haus Fay Chios, Emporios, Chios, ☎ +30 2271071523, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 12:00. Haus Fay is a family hotel of studios and apartments renovated to satisfy the needs of every visitor. Overlooking the Aegean, in Notiochora of Chios, just a few minutes walk from Mavra Volia and Foki. Located in the central square in the harbor of Emporios next to restaurants which serve Greek specialties and fresh fish. 50-100. edit
- Spitakia (480m), Avgonima (Central west Chios), ☎ +30 6974175471, . checkin: 13.00; checkout: 11.00. Spitakia B & B works in the 11th century traditional stone village Avgonyma. Small cottages flats and studios are available all year round for quiet and original Greek life holidays. Your host Georgios knows to advise or to guide you to the best secrets of Chios landscape and nature, he is also a hardy orchids taxonomists. Every year the hardy orchids attract travelers from all Europe who meet at Spitakia hotel exchange their experience and find new species. On the island of Chios now 110 species have been recognized and more have to be discovered. Every day after breakfast Georgios is organizing your day for trekking and orchid tours or you can follow him at his nature tours. The breakfast is served at the main house in the square of Avgonyma daily 9-11 a.m. Rooms have daily cleaning -housekeeping. Avgonima is the ideal place for nature trails in a historical area between Avavatos the ghost village and Nea Moni monastery, a UNESCO world heritage monument. 40-65€. (38°22'36,26°1'10) edit
- Chios Rooms, Leoforos Aigaiou 110, ☎ +30 6972833841, . Absolutely delightful budget accommodation situated right on the harbour in a beautifully restored late-19th century building with great views. Range of rooms from single to triple with or without en suite although external bathroom is privately yours for duration of stay. Features two balcony rooms plus an upper floor unit with its own patio. Shared kitchen with adjacent outdoor sitting area. Clean, tidy, and well maintained by its lovely helpful owners. edit