Chios is a Greek island in the Aegean Sea 8km off the Turkish coast.
The population's about 52,290 according to the 2001 census, with an area of 904km². The port of Chios or Chora is the island's chief town. The island is famous for its scenery and good climate. Its chief export is mastic but it also produces olives, figs, and wine. Its international fame is based on the size and quality of its shipping community.
- Agios Minas
- Chios island
- Oinouses island
- Psara island
Cities & villages
Chios is the island of Homer and Mastiha (Chios Gum Mastic). Visitors can participate in its distinct Mastiha culture, a traditional way of life recognized by UNESCO, centred in the south part of the Mastiha medieval villages and enhanced by the new Chios Mastic Museum.
Olympoi, a mastiha village in south Chios
What comes to mind when thinking of Chios Island?
- a well preserved natural environment and a landscape with dramatic changes
- an extensive network of medieval villages, castles and watchtowers
- high quality of life based on the local culture (a combination of the culture of mastiha, the maritime tradition and the locals’ cosmopolitan attitude)
- remote secluded beaches with turquoise and green waters
- hiking trails in mountainous ,forest and agricultural areas
- unique local products
- hospitable people
- a vibrant nightlife, music and fun
There are daily flights from Athens airport by Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines. In addition, you can fly to Chios from several other Greek islands such as Mytiline , Samos, Rhodes, Heraclion and Limnos with Sky Express. In the summer time there are also flights from Thessalonika and Rhodes 2-3 times a week. Astra Airlines has scheduled flights from Thessaloniki.
Charter flights from Poland and Slovenia operate in summer 2018
You can take the boat from Pireaus once a day (twice a day in the summer) from NEL Lines or Hellenic Seaways or Kabala (operational only in the summer). There is also regular trips from Samos and Lesvos all year round.
Çeşme on Turkish mainland just opposite Chios also has ferry connections with the island. The all year round service costing €15 one-way pp (or €25 return) departs at 9AM from Çeşme and takes roughly 30 minutes. Those doing the trip to the island as a day trip can take the return ferry to Turkey departing 18:00 from Chios. Ferries operate by Ertürk and Turyol.
You can bring a car using the boats, or you can rent one there. Chios is a big island and if you want to get around (out of the place where you are staying you have to have wheels) you better rent a car or motorbike. Renting a bicycle is also an option if you are not travelling big distances.
- Nea Moni
- Castle of Chios
Chios Mastic Museum
The Chios Mastic Museum is located in southern Chios at the heart of the Mastiha area (Mastichochoria or Mastiha villages). It is dedicated to the unique Chios Natural Mastiha (Chios Mastic Gum) which is produced only in the south of Chios and has therefore shaped the productive and economic history of the island, as well as the natural and cultural environment. Mastiha cultivation has been inscribed to the UNESCO list of humanity's intangible cultural heritage.
- To Mestousiko, Mesta, Chios (East of the main square), ☎ 76458. Daily 10:00-23:00 (or later). Small grill with outdoor seating, run by George and Marina Pannadi year-round. The menu has grilled sandwiches, souvlaki, and Greek (horiatiki) salads. Located a block from the town square directly behind the new church of Taxiarchis (Archangels). To reach the restaurant, walk to the right and turn into the first alley. When you see the church, turn right. in expensive. edit
- Amarandos Apartments, Vokaria, Nenita, ☎ +30 6932528698, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Sea view apartments just 15meters from the beach with amazing view of the Aegean and the Asia Minor. Hiden from the noise and mass turism ,ideal from relaxing 50-100. edit
- Haus Fay Chios, Emporios, Chios, ☎ +30 2271071523, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 12:00. Haus Fay is a family hotel of studios and apartments renovated to satisfy the needs of every visitor. Overlooking the Aegean, in Notiochora of Chios, just a few minutes walk from Mavra Volia and Foki. Located in the central square in the harbor of Emporios next to restaurants which serve Greek specialties and fresh fish. 50-100. edit
- Spitakia (480m), Avgonima (Central west Chios), ☎ +30 6974175471, . checkin: 13.00; checkout: 11.00. Spitakia B & B works in the 11th century traditional stone village Avgonyma. Small cottages flats and studios are available all year round for quiet and original Greek life holidays. Your host Georgios knows to advise or to guide you to the best secrets of Chios landscape and nature, he is also a hardy orchids taxonomists. Every year the hardy orchids attract travelers from all Europe who meet at Spitakia hotel exchange their experience and find new species. On the island of Chios now 110 species have been recognized and more have to be discovered. Every day after breakfast Georgios is organizing your day for trekking and orchid tours or you can follow him at his nature tours. The breakfast is served at the main house in the square of Avgonyma daily 9-11 a.m. Rooms have daily cleaning -housekeeping. Avgonima is the ideal place for nature trails in a historical area between Avavatos the ghost village and Nea Moni monastery, a UNESCO world heritage monument. 40-65€. (38°22'36,26°1'10) edit
- Chios Rooms, Leoforos Aigaiou 110, ☎ +30 6972833841, . Absolutely delightful budget accommodation situated right on the harbour in a beautifully restored late-19th century building with great views. Range of rooms from single to triple with or without en suite although external bathroom is privately yours for duration of stay. Features two balcony rooms plus an upper floor unit with its own patio. Shared kitchen with adjacent outdoor sitting area. Clean, tidy, and well maintained by its lovely helpful owners. edit