- For other places with the same name, see Cheshire (disambiguation).
Cheshire is a county in England.
- Chester - the county town, with a rich Roman history and good shops.
The Cheshire accent is not a strong regional accent and is often associated with Received Pronunciation (RP), but several regional accents and dialects like Scouse are common in Cheshire, due to the proximity to cities like Liverpool and Manchester.
Crewe station and Warrington Bank Quay are on the West Coast Mainline, which gives them good connections to London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh and a variety of other destinations. Chester has more infrequent services to and from London and the Midlands, and regular services to and from North Wales, Manchester and Liverpool. These last three are largely commuter lines, so do not expect major luxury, though they pass through enjoyable country scenery.
Manchester Airport is located just north of Cheshire and serves a large number of international and domestic destinations. Liverpool John Lennon is similarly located nearby and has mainly budget airline connections to European destinations. It will not be possible to get to most places in Cheshire direct from here, rather you must go to the main train stations in that city and use that.
Prior to boundary changes in 1974 and the creation of areas like Greater Manchester and Merseyside, Cheshire included everything south of The Mersey such as Sale, Hyde, and Stockport and continued upto The Welsh Border near Chester.
Cheshire is famous for its countryside and largely unspoilt landscapes. The historic roman city of Chester (Deva) is a popular tourist destination because of its ancient city walls, amphitheatres and Mediaeval/Tudor buildings.
- Delamere Forest Park (Vistors Centre, Cafe, Go Ape), Linmere, Northwich, CW8 2JD (Delamere Station, CW8 2JQ), ☎ +44 1606 889792 ([email protected]), . This pleasant area south of Manchester and Liverpool and a popular place for a day out from these nearby urban areas. edit
- Jodrell Bank Observatory, Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre, Macclesfield, SK11 9DL, Sat nav: SK11 9DW, ☎ 01477 571 766, . Site of the famous Lovell Telescope. Operated by Manchester University this major Cheshire landmark includes a visitor centre and 35 acre arboretum. edit
- Beeston Castle, Chapel Lane, Beeston, Cheshire - CW6 9TX, ☎ 0870 333 1181. Former royal castle perched on a rocky sandstone crag 350 feet above the Cheshire Plain edit
- Chester city walls, . Chester city walls are a major tourist attraction and form an almost complete circuit of the city as it was in the medieval era, and measure almost 2 miles. The walls comprise the most complete Roman and medieval defensive town wall system in Britain. edit
- The Edge at Alderley, Macclesfield Road, Nether Alderley, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 4UB, ☎ 01625 584412, . Maintained by the National Trust, the red sandstone escarpment of Alderley Edge is criss crossed with woodland paths and has beautiful views over the Cheshire Plain to the Peak District. free. edit
- Chester Zoo, Chester Zoo, Upton-by-Chester, Chester, CH2 1LH, ☎ 01244 380280., . One of the UKs largest zoos, this is the most-visited wildlife attraction in Britain edit
- Quarry Bank Mill, Styal, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 4LA, ☎ 01625 527468, . One of the best preserved textile mills of the Industrial Revolution, now a museum of the cotton industry. Inspired the 2013 television series The Mill edit
- Anderton Boat Lift, Anderton Boat Lift, Lift Lane, Anderton, Northwich, Cheshire CW9 6FW, ☎ 01606 786777, . Built in 1875 and now a scheduled monument, the Anderton Boat Lift is one of only 2 working boat lifts in the UK. The site includes a visitor centre and exhibition. edit
- Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet, Kinsey Road, Ellesmere Port Cheshire, CH65 9JJ, ☎ 0151 348 5600, . Featuring a wide range of outlet stores run by large brands, this is the UK's largest designer outlet village. edit
- Sandstone Trail, . A popular long distance walk, the 34 mile path follows sandstone ridges running north–south from Frodsham in central Cheshire to Whitchurch just over the Shropshire border. edit