Chau Doc (Châu Đốc) is a city in the heart of the Mekong Delta, in Vietnam. There's not an enormous amount to do, but it's a wonderful place - small, cheap, rather unspoiled and very friendly. It's dominated by a large Indoor Market. If you're the type that prefers markets to malls, you'll love it.
Chau Doc is best central for border crossing to Cambodia after a trip in Vietnam.
There is an air-con bus serving from Can Tho to Phnom Penh. The bus leaves daily at 5.30 .00am.
The bus uses the Tinh Biên Border crossing and will pass Chau Doc enroute to Can Tho. The fare is US14.00 only. It takes about 4 hours to Chau Doc and another 3 hours to Can Tho. The booking office is Can Tho Bus bus staion ,Stop at central market in Phnom Penh .
Express Travel Cambodia to viet Nam is : at #09 DEo, Street 230, Phsar Deumkor, Phnom Penh. Telephone: 855 997 90443; 855 972 119 339.
Speed boat from Chau Doc to Phnom penh take 5hs, dep time 7.20 am , arrive Phnom penh 1 pm more less.
CAmbodia visa $ 35 + 1 picture 4 x 6 .
Minh Kim guesthouse (Phone: 029-66552244, 01222225646, Address: 622 Ton Duc Thang, Vinh My, Chao Doc) offers motorcycles for rent. The price is 150,000 vnd per day. If you will mention to the owner that you want to rent Alan's motorcycle you will be given a semi-automatic motorcycle for 100,000 vnd per day. The owner of the guesthouse speaks quite a good English.
A stroll along the riverside will be well worth it. You will bump into many young people eager (but a bit shy) to engage you in conversation. It can be very rewarding after a morning spent haggling in the colourful markets.The region of Chau Doc is where some Muslim Cham settled in the 18th Century after having been expelled from Central and South Vietnam by the Viet in several centuries of war (other Cham clans settled in Cambodia -Kompong Cham means "Cham Landing"- Malaysia, and the Chinese island of Hai Nan). Therefore, one finds mosques in the region, including the Ehsan in the island of Con Tien and Jamiul Azhar ones. 7 km south-west of Chau Doc is Mount Sam, a sacred hill (230 m - The only hill in the region) full of temples and pagodas, both at the foot of the hill and on it ; the view from the top (1 hour climb) is superb.
- Bird Santury. From Chau Doc take morto bike or taxi,vans about 25kms,then motor boat and rowing boat to do the trip,in side forest,enjoy the peaceful overthere ,with some different birds,Stock....or can arrangement the boat take 3hs come but more expensive and much nicer,come and go more then 3hs trip. edit
A traditional massage with suction cups is a great way to relax and unwind before returning to HCMC or taking one of the riverboats to Phnom Penh
The Victoria Chau Doc Hotel, 32 Le Loi, will let you use their pool by the river for $5.00 per person. Your receipt will give you access vor the entire day so you can go for a refreshing dip, go somewhere cheaper for dinner and come back to watch the action onthe river while the sun goes down.
- Venus Massage, 358 , Nguyen Van Thoai, ☎ 02963 866777. 1h. The staffs are friendly, good works,CLEAN,relax.NICE MASSAGE. NOT ACCEPT MAN. 200.000 đ. edit
- Xuân Hương spa, 42,Trưng Nữ Vương str,Châu Đốc, ☎ 0918338639. Good massage,nice and clean room,light music,frienly staffs.200.000đ/hours/pax. NOT ACCEPT MAN edit
- Trưng Nữ Vương Nối Dài.. There are many coffee shops,tea, ice cream,karaoke,restaurants,pools in Trưng Nữ Vương Nối Dài str with different price. edit
- MEKONG CHAU DOC TRAVEL, 277 Nguyen Van Thoai , Chau doc City, ☎ 0918 669 236. Full information and programs of one days nice and funny toursor moren information about Mekong Delta, Ms San Tours [email protected] (,6) edit or [email protected]
There are many ATM, mainly in center near the pagoda, and on Le Loi / riverside.
- Thanh Tinh, 13 Quang Trung (close to the indoor market). 6AM-9PM. A nice and clean local restaurant that serves vegan food. Friendly and English speaking staff. They can also prepare take-away meals (handy for the journey on the slow boat to Cambodia). Be aware, they charged 95,000 VND for a 'COM PHAN', almost three times expensive than usual price. (March, 2011) 25,000-40,000. edit
- Bay Bong, 22 Duong Thuong Dang Le. Good food here with a very long menu. Locals eat here as well. The atmosphere isn't particularly romantic, but still. -60,000. edit
- Liên Phát Restaurant., Trưng Nữ Vương str,Ward B,Châu Đốc,An Giang., ☎ 02963 566 868. New restaurant,quiet place,vans,car can park,CLEAN and good food,price fairy,staffs are helpful. edit
Truong Van restaurant : 15, Quang trung right at central market, English menu with cost as well .
Hội Quán Châu Đốc restaurant :64 - 68 Hoàng Diệu, P. Châu Phú B, Thành Phố Châu Đốc, An Giang
Beef Noodle Soup : right at Chau Doc central BỒ ĐỀ Pagoda 5pm- 10 pm.
Ngọc Hà Vegetable : 238 , Thủ Khoa Huan good noodle and veggetable ,(6 am - 9 am).
Qui Phúc Vegetable : 176, THủ Khoa Huân, good crispy noodle cooked with vegetable or Mushroom HOT POT.6am -7 pm.
- Coffee GÓC PHỐ, 86,Đống Đa str, Châu Đốc,, ☎ 0296 6267 888.. New coffee Shop,good services,clean,with a/c.Easy enjoy the view from the top of building, price OK. edit
Thủy Tiên : right at Đống Đa and Nguyễn Văn Thoại 's crossroads street .fruit shake, Vietnamese coffee, coconut, tea. 7am - 8 pm.
- Thuan Loi Hotel, 18 Tran Hung Dao St.. Has the best location out of the budget hotels, right on the river, but it's also a tour-group stop. Rooms have hot water and a/c. edit
- Trung Nguyen, 86 Bach Dang. Great staff. Rooms are small but very clean, with hot water, a/c, and television, and cost about $10.. edit
- Motel Number 6 Thanh Mai, 6 Phan Van Vang St, ☎ 076.3867622. For a budget place, the atomosphere is clean and relaxing. Potetional for bus station pick-up and Mekong slow boat/bus trip to Phnom Penh available for US$10 (as of Dec. 2011) Rooms with hot water and a/c cost about US$9, rooms with hot water and strong fans are only $6. edit
- Murray Guesthouse (Nha Nghi Thuyen Truong), 11-15 Truong Dinh (Right off Le Loi, 150m east past Cathedral), ☎ 84 76 3562108 ([email protected]). checkin: 11.00; checkout: 12.00. Boutique family-managed accommodation that sets the benchmark to international standards: 10 rooms, a.c., guest lounge with private bar and pool/snooker table, travel advice, free wifi and breakfast. From $25. edit
- Victoria Nui Sam Lodge, Vinh Dong 1, Nui Sam Ward, Chau doc (Located on the Mountain Sam (Nui Sam), 7km from Chau Doc City), ☎ 84 76 3575 888 ([email protected]), . A magnificent location with a breathtaking 180° view, ideal to spend quality time and re-connect with nature. Built on the hillside of Sam Mountain, close to the most famous Vietnamese pagodas, this boutique 3* resort brings you right into the authentic countryside life. Don't miss the sunset: probably the most stunning of the whole area. All bungalows have a superb view of the paddy fields and a 12m2 private terrace. Very special place.Great for cycling. From $ 65. edit
- Victoria Chau Doc Hotel, 32 Le Loi, ☎ 76.865010 (fax: 76.865020), . A luxury hotel where you'd least expect to find one, with no amenity left behind. Features 92 rooms, 4 suites, and total incongruity with its surroundings. Transfers to Phnom Penh via private speedboat are available. Rooms from $99-$155, river view suites from $144-$220. edit
When arriving by boat, you may be met by a number of fairly aggressive cyclo drivers. If you do not require their services, you may be followed (in the hope that you will realise the error in your decision to walk or arrange alternative transport), and whilst this is unlikely to present any problems, it may be unnerving. If you are waiting for alternative transport, you may wish to do so in a bar, rather than on the street. Beware of the usual warnings about scams.
Get a prepaid sim card from mobifone (center, near pagoda) or vinaphone (Le Loi, riverside): about 65k VND and monthly internet package ~120k VND. Make sure you check if the sim card is working before leaving the shop, sometimes the sim card has already expired.
Have a problem with your phone, buy a new simcard or recharge account balance visit The Anh Mobile Service 31 Le Loi ( near Chau Doc Church, Church three-way crossroads )
Bus station is near the entrance of city about 4km far from center cost 20.000 đồng moto taxi ride.
- Ha Tien 60,000 Dong,departure time:5am,6am 9am, take 3 and a half hs.boat from Phú Quốc departure at 8am and 1 .45 pm.
Châu Đốc -Hà Tiên-Phú Quốc nearer and cheaper,not recommend Rạch Giá.it's far and expensive.
- Can Tho Futa bus ( Phương Trang , orrange color bus ) 69 , Phan Văn Vàng & Nguyên Hữu Cảnh crossroads bus from 5 am - 7 pm , $5 /each, include pick up from hotel inn Chau doc and Transfer from Cần THơ's bus station to hotel at Can Thơ.
- Ho Chi Minh City. Futa bus (Phương Trang , orrange color bus ) next 2 am , take 6 hs, $ 7 and half /each sofar , pick up form hotel in châu Đốc,stop at BẾN XE MIỀN TÂY, then include transfer to dictrict 5 .
- Phnom Penh is another popular destination. Many travelers stay for one night in Chau Doc and go the next day to Cambodia. Several speed boats are available $ 27 /each , contact Ms San tour : [email protected] or [email protected]