Chau Doc (Châu Đốc) is a city in the heart of the Mekong Delta, in Vietnam. There's not an enormous amount to do, but it's a wonderful place - small, cheap, rather unspoiled and very friendly. It's dominated by a large Indoor Market. If you're the type that prefers markets to malls, you'll love it.
Chau Doc is best central for border crossing to Cambodia after a trip in Vietnam.
There is an air-con bus serving Phnom Penh to Can Tho, Vietnam. The bus leaves P. Penh daily at 6.00am.
The bus uses the Phnom Den/Tien Binh Border crossing and will pass Chau Doc enroute to Can Tho. The fare is US14.00 only. It takes about 4+ hours to Chau Doc and another 2+ hours to Can Tho. The booking office is Bus Express Travel Cambodia at #09 DEo, Street 230, Phsar Deumkor, Phnom Penh. Telephone: 855 997 90443; 855 972 119 339. One has to pay the same fare even though one intend to stop at Chau Doc.
Minh Kim guesthouse (Phone: 029-66552244, 01222225646, Address: 622 Ton Duc Thang, Vinh My, Chao Doc) offers motorcycles for rent. The price is 150,000 vnd per day. If you will mention to the owner that you want to rent Alan's motorcycle you will be given a semi-automatic motorcycle for 100,000 vnd per day. The owner of the guesthouse speaks quite a good English.
A stroll along the riverside will be well worth it. You will bump into many young people eager (but a bit shy) to engage you in conversation. It can be very rewarding after a morning spent haggling in the colourful markets.The region of Chau Doc is where some Muslim Cham settled in the 18th Century after having been expelled from Central and South Vietnam by the Viet in several centuries of war (other Cham clans settled in Cambodia -Kompong Cham means "Cham Landing"- Malaysia, and the Chinese island of Hai Nan). Therefore, one finds mosques in the region, including the Ehsan in the island of Con Tien and Jamiul Azhar ones. 7 km south-west of Chau Doc is Mount Sam, a sacred hill (230 m - The only hill in the region) full of temples and pagodas, both at the foot of the hill and on it ; the view from the top (1 hour climb) is superb.
- Bird Santury. From Chau Doc take morto bike or taxi,vans about 25kms,then motor boat and rowing boat to do the trip,in side forest,enjoy the peaceful overthere ,with some different birds,Stock....or can arrangement the boat take 3hs come but more expensive and much nicer,come and go more then 3hs trip. edit
A traditional massage with suction cups is a great way to relax and unwind before returning to HCMC or taking one of the riverboats to Phnom Penh
The Victoria Chau Doc Hotel, 32 Le Loi, will let you use their pool by the river for $5.00 per person. Your receipt will give you access vor the entire day so you can go for a refreshing dip, go somewhere cheaper for dinner and come back to watch the action onthe river while the sun goes down.
- Venus Massage, 65, Thủ Khoa Huân, ☎ 0763 866777. 1h. The staffs are friendly, good works,CLEAN,relax.NICE MASSAGE. 200.000 đ. edit
- Xuân Hương spa, 42,Trưng Nữ Vương str,Châu Đốc, ☎ 0918338639. Good massage,nice and clean room,light music,frienly staffs.200.000đ/hours/pax. edit
- Trưng Nữ Vương Nối Dài.. There are many coffee shops,tea, ice cream,karaoke,restaurants,pools in Trưng Nữ Vương Nối Dài str with different price. edit
- MEKONG CHAU DOC TRAVEL, 14,Nguyen Huu Canh, Chau doc City, ☎ 0918 669 236. Full information and programs of one days nice and funny tours. [email protected] (,6) edit
There are many ATM, mainly in center near the pagoda, and on Le Loi / riverside.
- Thanh Tinh, 13 Quang Trung (close to the indoor market). 6AM-9PM. A nice and clean local restaurant that serves vegan food. Friendly and English speaking staff. They can also prepare take-away meals (handy for the journey on the slow boat to Cambodia). Be aware, they charged 95,000 VND for a 'COM PHAN', almost three times expensive than usual price. (March, 2011) 25,000-40,000. edit
- Bay Bong, 22 Duong Thuong Dang Le (With the indoor market on your right hand side, continue until you can only go left or right. Go right there and you'll eventually see it on your left.), ☎ (076) 867 271. Good food here with a very long menu. Locals eat here as well. The atmosphere isn't particularly romantic, but still. 25,000-55,000. edit
- 6 Hiệp-Nem, Nguyễn Văn Thoại, ☎ 0763 561 461. Family restaurant,friendly,fair price, 40.000đ/pax at the moment,local Nem, good food. edit
- Liên Phát Restaurant., Trưng Nữ Vương str,Ward B,Châu Đốc,An Giang., ☎ 0763 566 868. New restaurant,quiet place,vans,car can park,CLEAN and good food,price fairy,staffs are helpful. edit
- Coffee GÓC PHỐ, 86,Đống Đa str, Châu Đốc,, ☎ 076 6267 888.. New coffee Shop,good services,clean,with a/c.Easy enjoy the view from the top of building, price OK. edit
- Memory Delicatessen, 57, Nguyen huu Canh, Phuong A, ☎ 0917 7777 91. Very central,easy to find, provides coffee or cakes, with nice music,a/c; friendly staff, good service, fair price, clean; with table and chairs to seat out,enjoying a cool beer. edit
- Trâm Anh hotel., Sam mountain, ☎ +84 909020282. checkin: 10 am; checkout: 12 noon. Nice to stay 1 night, can walk to visit the Lady temple also sun set on top of the mountain,food around here. The staffs are helpful even not seaking English,good coofee here. 300.000 đ.. edit
- Thuan Loi Hotel, 18 Tran Hung Dao St.. Has the best location out of the budget hotels, right on the river, but it's also a tour-group stop. Rooms have hot water and a/c. edit
- Trung Nguyen, 86 Bach Dang. Great staff. Rooms are small but very clean, with hot water, a/c, and television, and cost about $10.. edit
- Motel Number 6 Thanh Mai, 6 Phan Van Vang St, ☎ 076.3867622. For a budget place, the atomosphere is clean and relaxing. Potetional for bus station pick-up and Mekong slow boat/bus trip to Phnom Penh available for US$10 (as of Dec. 2011) Rooms with hot water and a/c cost about US$9, rooms with hot water and strong fans are only $6. edit
- Vinh Phuoc Hotel, 12-14 Quang Trung, ☎ 866242, 562265 ([email protected]), . A great budget deal, the rooms are amazing for the price. Staff speak some English and are fantastic. Quite decent food. Free wifi, not that fast in rooms. Excellent travel information and service. US$ 8-20. edit
- Murray Guesthouse (Nha Nghi Thuyen Truong), 11-15 Truong Dinh (Right off Le Loi, 150m east past Cathedral), ☎ 84 76 3562108 ([email protected]). checkin: 11.00; checkout: 12.00. Boutique family-managed accommodation that sets the benchmark to international standards: 10 rooms, a.c., guest lounge with private bar and pool/snooker table, travel advice, free wifi and breakfast. From $25. edit
- Victoria Nui Sam Lodge, Vinh Dong 1, Nui Sam Ward, Chau doc (Located on the Mountain Sam (Nui Sam), 7km from Chau Doc City), ☎ 84 76 3575 888 ([email protected]), . A magnificent location with a breathtaking 180° view, ideal to spend quality time and re-connect with nature. Built on the hillside of Sam Mountain, close to the most famous Vietnamese pagodas, this boutique 3* resort brings you right into the authentic countryside life. Don't miss the sunset: probably the most stunning of the whole area. All bungalows have a superb view of the paddy fields and a 12m2 private terrace. Very special place.Great for cycling. From $ 65. edit
- Victoria Chau Doc Hotel, 32 Le Loi, ☎ 76.865010 (fax: 76.865020), . A luxury hotel where you'd least expect to find one, with no amenity left behind. Features 92 rooms, 4 suites, and total incongruity with its surroundings. Transfers to Phnom Penh via private speedboat are available. Rooms from $99-$155, river view suites from $144-$220. edit
When arriving by boat, you may be met by a number of fairly aggressive cyclo drivers. If you do not require their services, you may be followed (in the hope that you will realise the error in your decision to walk or arrange alternative transport), and whilst this is unlikely to present any problems, it may be unnerving. If you are waiting for alternative transport, you may wish to do so in a bar, rather than on the street. Beware of the usual warnings about scams.
Get a prepaid sim card from mobifone (center, near pagoda) or vinaphone (Le Loi, riverside): about 65k VND and monthly internet package ~120k VND. Make sure you check if the sim card is working before leaving the shop, sometimes the sim card has already expired.
Have a problem with your phone, buy a new simcard or recharge account balance visit The Anh Mobile Service 31 Le Loi ( near Chau Doc Church, Church three-way crossroads )
Bus station is near the entrance of city about 4km far from center cost 20.000 đồng moto taxi ride.
- Ha Tien 60,000 Dong,departure time:5am,6am 9am, take 3 and a half hs.boat from Phú Quốc departure at 8am and 1pm.
Châu Đốc -Hà Tiên-Phú Quốc nearer and cheaper,not recommend Rạch Giá.it's far and expensive.
- Can Tho is a popular next stop for travelers on a tour of the Mekong Delta. It can be reached by boat: the daily cruise leaves at 2pm and costs 588.000 VND (jan/13)
- Ho Chi Minh City. Phuong Trang bus company (phone 0.76 3.565.888) make the connection for 150,000 Dong 10 times a day between 8am to 0am.
- Phnom Penh is another popular destination. Many travelers stay for one night in Chau Doc and go the next day to Cambodia. Several boats are available, from slow boats to fast boats. A journey on a slow boat can take up to 10h to Phnom Pehn, and the quality of the boats is not always the best (extremely noisy engine, heavy vibrations, a lot of sun and no toilet can make a 10h trip really long). I costs VND 420.000 (feb/13). Most likely, some of the tour operators will tell you, that they have to get the visa for you and that it is now more expensive and other lies (such as the border crossing closes soon and they will get there faster with your passport using a motorbike, etc..) but this is not true and you can ignore them. Try not to take to many dongs with you, because the exchange rate you get is not very fair. There is no ATM, so bring enough dollars with you. At the border, there is a small restaurant, but it is comparably expensive. You can get take-away meals and a bottle of water from restaurants in Chau Doc if you plan ahead.