University City is a semi-urban area in the northern reaches of Charlotte. It is centered around a "downtown" area located at the intersection of N. Tryon St. and W.T. Harris Blvd. The rest of University City is mostly sprawled and suburban, but contains major establishments such as the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC) and Verizon Wireless Amphitheater.
Driving is the only realistic way to explore University City. The large spaces between attractions make walking prohibitive outside the very core of the district.
When coming from central Charlotte, the "gateway" to University City is the complicated intersection of N.C. highways 29 and 49; these roads create an unusual "weave" that can be troublesome for first-time visitors. Other major avenues include I-85, I-485, and large thoroughfares such as University City Blvd. and Mallard Creek Church Rd.
The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS)  bus service also provides an option for those coming from central Charlotte, though their usefulness is limited. Routes #11 and #29 serve University City. They are most effective when used in conjunction with a car (park-and-ride) or taxi.
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte  - The city's public university, located in the growing northern side of the city. It is a rapidly expanding suburban campus, but still lacks the on-campus vibrance of a larger state school. From a traveler's point of view, there's not much to see there on an ordinary day.
- Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 707 Pavilion Blvd., +1 704-549-5555, . Located in the University area, this is the location of Charlotte's summer concert series. Seats up to 20,000 including general-admission lawn space; larger concerts will typically sell out. If you purchase lawn seats you may rent chairs, but for a larger show you will probably not be able to use them.
- Smokin' Cue, 10901 University City Blvd, +1 704-548-0882. A pool hall that takes the game seriously. One of the city's best places to find a competitive game, as well as a reliable cue retailer.
- Belgate, City Boulevard & I-85, . A large, mixed-use community that will feature a 356,000 square foot IKEA, the first store in the Carolinas. edit
- The Shoppes at University Place, WT Harris at US 29, . Designed around a pedestrian lake, this unique shopping center includes a mix of retailers and offices, including Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Michael's, Sam's Club, TJ Maxx and Ross. edit
Also, Northlake Mall  and the large outlet Concord Mills Mall  are only a few minutes away by car.
- Ninety's Sandwiches and Ice-cream, 9009 J M Keynes Drive, Suite #4, +1 704-547-1856. Not fast-food, but not dine-in either. Fast, delicious and super friendly service. Ice-cream there is a perfect treat for summer weather and it is a great place to grab a bite as you sit enjoy the summer concerts. Wonderful place for family.
- Zapata's, 8927 J.M. Keynes Blvd (just off N. Tryon St. in the University area), +1 704-503-1979. Probably Charlotte's best Mexican (though some Spanish-speaking joints on the east side might beg to differ). Relatively upscale, Zapata's enjoys one of the best restaurant locations in the University area: perched over a picturesque lake, across from the Hilton hotel, and within minutes of shopping destinations. Almost everything on the menu is good, including the drink specials.
- Ciro's, 8927 J M Keynes Dr., +1 704-510-0012. Upscale Italian located in the strollable center of the University area. High-end service and prices, and an excellent wine menu.
- Old Hickory House Restaurant, 6538 N Tryon St, +1 704-596-8014.
- Tipsey McStumble's, 10008 University City Blvd, +1 704-503-6300. From the name to the drink specials, McStumble's makes no apologies for its kitschy interpretation of "Irish" drinking culture. Not the least bit authentic, but usually vibrant and fun. On football weekends, expect to see a lot of Dallas Cowboys and (of course) Notre Dame fans.
- Boardwalk Billy's Raw Bar & Ribs, 9005-2 J M Keynes Dr, +1 704-503-7427. Popular beach-themed bar and restaurant. Frequent drink specials.
- The Flying Saucer, 9605 N Tryon St # A, Charlotte, NC, . 9AM?-1Am. This an an authentic pub, with lots of beer and quality pub food. The beer Goddesses are cute, and friendly. Come at night for Trivia, Glass night, etc [check the website's calender for more info] 4.5 pint, 2.75 specials. edit
- A TASTE OF PHILLY, LLC, 9015-5B JM Keynes Dr., ☎ 704-595-9191. Great Philly CheeseSteaks, Meatball, Pizza, Fries. Full menu at www.getatasteofphilly.com edit
- Comfort Suites 7735 University City Blvd., +1 704-547-0049, .
- Country Inn and Suites, 131 McCullough Dr., +1 704-717-8728, .
- Holiday Inn, 8520 University Executive Park Dr., +1 704-547-0999, .
- InTown Suites, 110 Rocky River Rd West, +1 704-599-2380. Possibly the cheapest hotel in the city. Located off Tryon St. in a somewhat gritty area, but easily accessible to a lot of the city's amenities (you can get to almost anything in Uptown, University City and NoDa within 15 minutes' drive). Most rooms run about $25/night.
- Sleep Inn, 8525 N Tryon St., +1 704-549-4544, .
- University Place Hilton 8629 J.M. Keynes Dr., +1 704-547-7444, . If staying Uptown isn't your cup of tea, consider this one of the best alternatives around. This hotel is one of the vibrant University City area's keystones, and is located adjacent to a major shopping complex. Take a stroll around the lake, try out the paddleboats, eat dinner on a patio balcony only a few minutes' walk from your room. Upper rooms have excellent views of the surrounding area, and most lower rooms have a nice view of the lake. $98 - $169.
- Residence Inn Charlotte University Research Park, 8503 North Tryon Street · Charlotte, North Carolina 28262 USA, ☎ 1-704-547-1122, . This all-suite, extended-stay hotel near the Charlotte Motor Speedway, Verizon Wireless Amptheater, Carolinas Medical Center-University and is 6 miles from downtown. edit
- Hampton Inn Charlotte University Place, 8419 North Tryon Street · Charlotte, North Carolina 28262 USA, ☎ 1-704-548-0905, . Hampton Inn Charlotte- University Place is conveniently located near UNC in Charlotte. This makes it the perfect place to stay for college scouting trips, graduations or special occasions. Free WiFi and proximity to businesses such as Allstate, EPRI, IBM, University Hospital and Wachovia/Wells Fargo Operations Center make it ideal for business travelers. edit
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte- North/University Research Park, 8340 North Tryon Street · Charlotte, North Carolina 28262 USA, ☎ 1-704-549-8800, . This extended-stay, all-suite hotel is near downtown, shopping destinations, UNC Charlotte and Charlotte Motor Speedway. Proximity to Duke Power, AT&T, Bellsouth, Carolina Medical Center, EPRI NDE and University Hospital make it great for business travelers. edit
- SpringHill Suites Charlotte University Research Park, 8700 Research Drive, ☎ 704-503-4800, . This SpringHill Suites is located in the University Research Park edit
- Courtyard Charlotte University Research Park, 333 West W.T. Harris Blvd, ☎ 704-549-4888, . Courtyard Charlotte University Research Park is near the Motor Speedway and UNCC. edit
- Cambodian Buddhist Society, 219 Owen Blvd, ☎ +1 704 596-6628, . In a residential neighborhood, this community is made up mostly of Cambodian refugees. Most communication is in Asian languages. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!