North Davidson St in the heart of NoDa
NoDa  is an arts district in Charlotte. Its name is a blend of "NOrth DAvidson", after the district's main street. Originally a mill village that operated almost independently of Charlotte, it became a haven of poverty and vice in the middle of the 20th Century. In the past 20 years it has been redeveloped as a home of the arts, as well as one of Charlotte's best-preserved historic districts.
Most visitors will arrive in NoDa by means of car or bus. From Uptown, take North Davidson St outbound. Generally the district is considered to run along N Davidson between 30th and 36th. The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS)  operates buses in the city. The #3 and #23 routes travel through NoDa, stopping along North Davidson and 36th Streets. Fares are $2.00 each way, with discounts for seniors and children.
NoDa is recognized as Charlotte's primary arts district. There are numerous art and craft galleries to be found in the district.
- Center of the Earth Gallery, 3204 N Davidson St, +1 704 375-5756, . Mondays by appointment only, Tu-F 11AM-5PM, Sa noon-5PM. Probably Charlotte's best-known gallery, and one of the cornerstones of the arts district. Provides corporate art to numerous major corporations, and represents several dozen artists of significance. Worth a look, though the prices may put off casual buyers.
- Green Rice Designs & Studio, 451 E 36th St, +1 704 344-0300, . Features an exceptional collection of various media, likely to appeal to a variety of buyers. Hosts frequent receptions and other social events, which tie in well to the district's gallery crawls. The Green Rice studio is closely affiliated with two other collections -- The Boulevard and the Milkweed Collection -- which operate nearby and specialize in decor and apparel.
- Hart Witzen Gallery, 136 E 36th St, +1 704 334-1177, . The gallery is rented for use by various artists, giving it a constantly changing clientèle. Features a wide variety of exhibitions and performances, and tends to be rather avante-garde in nature.
- The ArtHouse Center for Creative Expression, 3103 Cullman Ave, +1 704 962-9700, .
- BEET Contemporary Crafts and Function Art, 2302-A N Davidson St, +1 704 334-3558, . Specializes in functional arts and crafts, including pottery, jewelry, wood and metalwork. Tu-F 11AM-5PM, Sa noon-5 and by appointment.
- Studio True, 3046 N Davidson St (Red house, you can't miss it), . John True has been creating art for as long as he can remember. He sold his first piece of art at the age of 11, a sculpture of toothpicks. He has really never considered any other career. edit
- Studio True Gallery, 3046 North Davidson Street, ☎ 704-302-1102, . Working studio and galley of painter/sculptor John True. edit
- The Evening Muse, 3227 N Davidson St, +1 704 376-3737, . W-Th 6PM-midnight, F Sa 6PM-until. A combination of music venue, cafe, and art gallery, the Evening Muse is not to be missed. Occupying the key corner at Davidson and 36th St., it is one of the best-reputed establishments in the area. A very strong schedule of performances and exhibitions keeps it active throughout the week.
- Neighborhood Theater, 511 E 36th St, +1 704 358-9298, . The heart and soul of NoDa, this was once a burlesque theater but has been converted to an intimate venue with comfortable seating. A wide variety of acts play here, from hard rock to acoustic jazz.
- Wine Up, 3306-C N Davidson St (upstairs from Boudreaux's and Neighborhood Theatre), +1 704 372-2633, . Upscale wine bar featuring billiards and live entertainment. Non-smoking, relaxed atmosphere.
- Roux!, 3306-A N. Davidson St., Charlotte, North Carolina 28205, . open for shows Wednesday through Saturday every week. This room has been transformed into Charlotte's premier venue for up and coming music artist. Everything from funk, jazz fusion, jam, live electronic music, blues, rock, folk, bluegrass, electronic dance music, hip hop, even metal. Every ! Thursday night everyone can come see some good ole down home music for free! If you are a band looking to be booked here, feel free to ask up through Reverb Nation or at [email protected] If you are booked here and want to send promo please send all packages to this address: ATTN: ROUX MGMT, BOUDREAUX'S LOUISIANA KITCHEN501 East 36th Street, Charlotte, NC 28205 Wednesday is Ladies night so Ladies get in for free. edit
By and large, Noda's stores are hip and artsy, making for a great casual shopping scene.
Also, the first and third Friday of each month is reserved for a district-wide gallery crawl (which really has the atmosphere of a pub crawl). Local establishments usually coordinate their events to coincide with these larger crowds.
- The Boulevard at NoDa, 453 E 36th St, ☎ +1 704 332-0142, . Collection of hand made jewelry, hats, home decor, purses, pet section, etc. edit
- Fabric Art, 3448 N Davidson St, +1 704 423-0336, .
- Lyncrist Calligraphy Studio, 3460 N Davidson St, +1 704 344-0070, .
- MAMALU Antique and Specialty Shop, 3120 N Davidson St Ste 100, +1 704 332-3686, .
- The Natural Voice, 3452 N Davidson St (at the front of Hart Witzen Gallery), +1 980-322-8626, . Charlotte's premier holistic voice coaching and wellness studio. Catering to singers, actors, poets and other vocal artist, The Natural Voice offers vocal wellness and coaching from a natural perspective. Classes are taught by a Tiffaney Moore, a voice coach and certified herbalist. Students increase vocal ability by learning the vocal instrument from a scientific and artistic perspective. They are even taught to make in-class herbal preparations for their personal use as voice artists.
- Real Eyes Bookstore, 3306-A N Davidson St, +1 704 377-8989, .
- Sunshine Daydreams, 3225 N Davidson St, +1 704 332-4367, .
- Yarnhouse, 3205 N. Davidson Street #103, ☎ (704) 335-8531. Yarnhouse is a knitting, crocheting and fiber arts community located in NoDa, the heart of Charlotte’s historical arts district. Here everyone can share ideas, inspirations, patterns, stories, advice and purchase fabulous yarn and fibers. edit
- Boudreaux's, 501 E 36th St, +1 704 331-9898, . Cajun cuisine in a jazzy atmosphere. A very solid beer menu and excellent entrees make Boudreaux's a standout citywide. Also features live music on a regular basis.
- Cabo Fish Taco, 3201 N Davidson St, +1 704 332-8868, . California-style take on coastal Baja fare. Fun and affordable, representing a cuisine that gets little exposure elsewhere in Charlotte.
- Solstice Tavern, 3221 N Davidson St, +1 704 342-2556.
- Amelie's French Bakery, 2424 N. Davidson St., ☎ 704-376-1781, . Amelie's is a little too far from the center to NoDa to reach by foot, but is a popular hangout due to the unlimited free Wi-Fi and the fact it is open 24 hours a day. edit
- Growlers Pourhouse, 3120 N Davidson St, Charlotte, NC 28205, ☎ (704) 910-6566, . Laid-back, quasi-industrial pub with 14 rotating taps of craft beers & cask ale, plus bar bites. edit
- Crepe Cellar Kitchen and Pub, 3116 N Davidson St, Charlotte, NC 28205, ☎ (704) 910-6543, . Sweet & savory crêpes, bistro bites, French-press coffee & European beers in a cozy, chill setting. edit
- Davidson Street Public House, 3220 N Davidson St, Charlotte, NC 28205, ☎ (980) 209-9992. Cozy, upscale speakeasy offering a changing menu of craft brews & inventive American fare. Great selection of cocktails, Trivia Tuesdays, Jazz on Wednesdays. edit
- NoDa Bodega, 1200 E 36th St, ☎ (704) 375-8704, . wide variety of quality Boar’s Head meats, fine cheeses, beer, wine and other goodies, the NoDa Bodega has a little something for everyone! Stop in and try a special sandwich of the day with 7 beers on tap. edit
- Jack Beagles, 3213 N Davidson St, ☎ (704) 334-5140, . This laid-back tavern offers American grub such as burgers & mac 'n' cheese, plus a full bar. edit
- Dog Bar, 3307 N Davidson St, +1 704 370-3595, . The only place in Charlotte where your pet and your nightlife come together. It's exactly what it sounds like: a bar that is friendly to canine "guests". Pet membership costs $10, and the scene is regulated to allow for safety and civility (no kids allowed, for instance). But where else can you have a Corona with your Chihuahua?
- The Smelly Cat, 514 E 36th St, +1 704 374-9656, . One of the city's better coffeehouses and a great perch for people-watching. Open till midnight on weekends to accommodate the after-concert crowds, but also early enough to be a good hangover-busting option.
- Dolce Vita, 3205 N Davidson St, +1 704 334-1054, . Cozy wine bar and lounge in the heart of Noda. Half price wines by the glass on Wednesday nights (Wino Wednesdays).
- Solstice Tavern, 3221 N Davidson St, +1 704 342-2556.
- Sanctuary, Right next door to Boudreaux
Strangely, there are no hotels of significance in this district. The nearest hotels of significance are about a mile away off Independence Blvd. Also, visitors staying Uptown are only a few minutes' drive away and generally have no problem locating NoDa.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!