Changunarayan is a village in Bhaktapur District of central Nepal. It can also be known as Changu Narayan.
Small village that houses the ancient temple of Changu Narayan which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Kathmandu Valley.
There are public buses connecting Kathmandu and Changunarayan departing every half an hour. On the way to Kathmandu they also pass Bhaktapur . The fare for Bhaktapur-Changunarayan is Rs15 and this part of the road takes less than 30 mins. The fare to Kathmandu-Changunarayan is Rs40
By foot as it's a very small town.
The town itself is not much bigger than 1 renovated street. Although it's quite nice.
- The ancient temple of Changu Narayan, . This place has already been mentioned in the 464 AD and the temple is considered as the oldest temple in Nepal. It is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. Rs100(foreigners), Rs20(SAARC citizens). edit
- Changu Narayan Museum, (halfway up the hill). This museum is supported by the village people. Rs200. edit
- Living Traditions Museum. On the grounds of the temple you can find this small but well maintained museum. It features some photos and utilities of Nepal. The village people don't support this museum. Rs250. edit
- Thangka Painting. Learn how to paint in this traditional art edit
- Wood Mask Carving. Learn how to carve and paint your own mask edit
There are shops and stalls selling souvenirs along the town's main street. Spotted big amount of wooden masks and pictures displaying mandalas.
A few small grocery shops as well as several proper-looking restaurants can be found in this town.
- Cafe Changu. Nice place to have coffee just outside the temple complex USD 1. edit
- Changu Guest House, ☎ 9841620878. edit
- Starview Nepal Guest House, ☎ 015141181 / 9839930812, . edit
- Viewpoint Rooftop Guest House, ☎ 9841620878. edit
- Village Villa Chambre d'Hote, (Five minutes walk from the temple.Just ask around for the house of Dhruba KC and locals will show you the way), ☎ 9841480673 ([email protected]), . Beautiful views from balcony and rooftop Costs 1000 for a single including breakfast, 1700 for a double. edit
- There is a trek connecting Changunarayan and Nagarkot, 3-4hrs one way. And it can be done as a round trip, which accordingly takes 6-8hrs. From Changunarayan trek for some 2 hrs to Telkot, from there you can either continue trekking to Nagarkot for about 1.5 hrs or take a public bus there. (Changu Narayan to Telkot part of the trek being more scenic). The route is not marked.
- Bhaktapur lies less than 30 minutes by bus.
- Changunarayan - Boudhanath trek. Go down towards the river, it's a nice half an hour walk downhill towards the road where you can take a minibus to Boudhanath.
- Sankhu 2hrs walk. And further along the road Vajrayogini temple.