Chalong Bay (อ่าวฉลอง Ao Chalong) is on the east coast of Phuket.
This is Phuket's principal boat anchorage and the island's largest bay, 11 kilometres south of the town. It is very picturesque but not suitable for swimming. Boats can be chartered to go to some small island south of Phuket. A number of restaurants are on the road leading to the bay.
The area where virtually all scuba diving and snorkelling trips depart from.
Chalong is in the south east of Phuket. It is about one hour’s drive from the Phuket International Airport, and is well known to all minivan and taxi drivers on the island. There is also a bus service from the airport which stops close to Chalong Roundabout. From Nai Harn and Rawai, Chalong is only a short trip heading north on Wiset Road (4024) and to reach Chalong from Kata and Karon it is only a 10 minute drive heading east over the mountain on Patak Road (4028). Many tourists choose to stay in Chalong due to its good value for money and proximity to the boat pier and to other seaside resorts with stunning beaches such as Nai Harn, Kata and Karon.
Numerous boats span out from Chalong to nearby islands, including Ko Hae (Coral Island), Ko Racha (Ko Raya) and more.
For anyone staying in the Chalong area, there is a taxi rank, mainly motorbike taxis, at the top of Sunrise Avenue (the main road leading down to Chalong Pier), just next to Chalong Roundabout.
- Wat Chalong (วัดฉลองหรือวัดไชยธาราราม). A beautiful Buddhist temple located on the southern end of the island. This is where stands the cast statue of Luang Pho Cham, who helped the people of Phuket, put down the Angyee, or Chinese Coolie Rebellion, in 1876 during the reign of Rama V. There are also statues of Luang Pho Chuang, and Luang Pho Cham, abbots of the temple during later times. Wat Chalong is about 8 kilometres outside town. Take Wichit Songkram Road to the bypass and turn left, and drive for about 10 minutes. Wat Chalong is on the left.
- Wat Laung Pu Supa (วัดหลวงปู่สุภา). A new beautiful temple built by the national famous abbot. North of Wat Chalong 1 kilometer.
- Big Buddha (พระใหญ่). A white marble Buddha statue on the top of Naka Kerd mountain. Far south of Wat Chalong 3 kilometers. High grand view over east part of Phuket island.
- Phuket Zoo (สวนสัตว์ภูเก็ต. Enjoy a wonderfully different type of zoo. Lush tropical gardens invite you to stroll around in the shade of giant trees across bridges onto islands containing all kinds of strange animals. Far north from Chalong pier 4 kilometre,on East Chaofa Rd.
As the main boat harbour for Phuket Island, most Scuba Diving companies have now relocated from other areas to Chalong. Most of Phuket's speed boat,fishing boats, snorkeling companies and yacht charter are also located here. Destinations include Coral Island, Phi Phi Island, and Koh Racha for day trips, snorkeling, diving and deep sea fishing.
Chalong has a shooting range, atv, elephant rides, go kart track, paint ball and horse riding. There are many Thai boxing or Muay Thai training camps at Chalong, especially on Soi Ta Eiad (Boxing Street). The biggest and most famous is Tiger Muay Thai . There is a Thai boxing ring near Chalong 5 ways junction.
One "Must Do" is to drive up to the famous Big Buddha which over looks Phuket Town, Chalong Bay, numerous islands and on a clear day even Phi Phi Island, 32 miles away can be seen.
- 1800Phuket at 48/12 Soi Sunrise for information and bookings. email: [email protected], tel toll free 1800Phuket or 0760383581.
- Sailing Thailand Island Cruises  operates a wide array of sailing catamarans from budget to luxury, most of them located in Chalong Bay.
- YachtPro Thailand based at Yacht Haven Marina has a great fleet of sailing yachts . SweetDreamers also many different sailing tours from Chalong Bay in Southeastern Phuket.
- Sailing Phuket Specialist in Yacht Charters and Sailing Cruises in Phuket . Sailing Phuket offers day tours in luxury private Yachts, luxury overnight charters in Phuket, bareboat charter, motor Yachts, and crewed boats. All are based in Phuket Thailand. Phone 0848418270.
Chalong is probably the main area on the island for diving. As Chalong modernises, there are also a number of other dive shop areas, including equipment stores and even training pools.
One such venue is the Sam Pao Courtyard. This is relatively easy to find, if you go from Chalong Roundabout on Patak Road in the direction of Kata, past the Shell Station and Kata Go Karting & Shooting Range. The best landmark is the Phuket Property Centre which is all lit up at night. Within this business centre there are a number of boat trips and dive trip shops, dive equipment stores and even a training pool. The one worth mentioning for beginners who want to get their Open water PADI certification is Hong Kong based Water Pro where they have excellent swimming pool facilities to learn and get certified.
- Local Dive Thailand, 161/47 Chaofa West Rd, Chalong, Phuket, 83130 (PADI courses, local Phuket diving trips, Similan Island liveaboards), ☎ +66 (0) 76384285 ([email protected]), . The local Phuket diving experts edit
In Chalong it is possible to buy scuba equipment at wholesale prices - for registered Thai companies. Diving professionals will get good deals on equipment from the local distributors. All scuba- and freediving, day trips to the islands, and fishing trips and boat charters are available. There is a large supermarket with just about everything one could need.
- Home Pro Village Chalong, Homepro Village Chalong, 10 West Chaofa Road, Chalong, Muang, Phuket 83130. Small shopping mall in Chalong including Villa Market supermarket which specialises in western foodstuffs. edit
- Asian Divers, 43/60 Moo 5, Soi Diving (on the way from the circle to Chalong Pier), . Polish diving center edit
- We Freedive (Thailand) Co., Ltd. (We Freedive), Patak Road (300m west from Chalong Circle), ☎ +66 831857289, . We Freedive have a specialty shop of high quality freediving equipment, some of which they produce themselves. Come here for custom freediving wetsuits, freediving fins and fin bags, masks, noseclips, Floats, Lanyards, ... edit
- Dive site information - close to Chalong Bay, . Local information. edit
Chalong has just about every type of restaurant. Delicious and cheap local Thai food is available as well as Italian, Mexican, Burgers, Indian, fish and chips, MK hot pot and Kentuky Fried Chicken and fresh bakeries. The area features some of the very best Thai Seafood waterfront restaurants.
- Mr. India - Best Indian food in Phuket. Patak Rd, going towards the Chalong Pier. Restaurants tend to trend more family friendly in the vicinity of, surprise: schools and religious sites.
- Thatssani Seafood (ทัศนีย์ ซีฟูด), Ao Chalong. edit
- Kan Eng, pier Ao Chalong, ☎ 0 7638 1212. edit
- Sabai Sabai Restaurant and Cooking School (Sabai Sabai), Patak Road (300m from Chalong Roundabout towards Kata), ☎ +66896486843. Sabai Sabai has traditional Thai dishes and some favourits like the Roast Duck Pankakes and the best burger on the island. Ton, the owner, used to work as a chef in the UK before coming back to Thailand, where she now runs this very friendly and welcoming restaurant that has become a favourite with the local expats. 60-180 THB for a meal. edit
- Pa Lai Seafood (ป่าหล่ายซีฟู้ด), Soi Palai, ☎ 076283038=. Local Phuket seafood dishes with reasonable price. edit
Chalong has numerous beach front bars and street bars with working ladies and regular restaurants/bars. You can find what you are looking for, from family-friendly to prurient.
Mostly a stepping-stone for heading elsewhere, accommodation in Chalong now ranges from 200 baht for a share room to 5 star resorts. Chalong is a very good spot to stay before going diving or out on the water as it is only a short walk to the boats instead of traveling from the better known tourist areas up to one hour away.
- Happy Cottages, 10/39 Moo 5, Soi Ta - iad, Chao Fa (West) Road, ☎ (66) 76 367 437, . Their resort accommodation in Phuket, Thailand offers rooms equipped with refrigerator, fully air-conditioned. ceiling fans in living area, free internet, hot shower, safe deposit box, boil pot, daily maid service, 32' Cable-TV and DVD player. Some of its facilities and services are laundry room, saltwater swimming pool, jacuzzi, boxing camp nearby, free Internet service in the lobby, night time security, tour information and airport transfer service. Rates starts at THB 1300.00. edit
- Nomads Chalong Beach (Chalong Beach Hotel), 80 Moo 5, Chalong Beach, Rawai 83130 Phuket, . Dorm rooms and suites available. Backpackers can make full use of the hotel facilities from 400 baht to 3000 baht. edit