Central and East Lombok is a region of Lombok, Indonesia.
- Praya — administrative capital of the Regency of East Lombok and nearby to the site of the new Lombok International Airport
- Selong — administrative capital of the Regency of Central Lombok
- Labuhan Lombok — the small port on the east coast of Lombok
- Majur — local service centre
- Keruak — local service centre
- Tetebatu — a quiet traditional village on the southern slopes of Rinjani, local handicraft production includea black terracotta, basket making and fine, traditional forging of steel tools
- Kotaraja — best known location in Lombok to witness traditional Sasak stick fighting.
- Penanunan — district of traditional loom weaving
- Lendang Nangka — is quite traditional village where you can see hero monument to memorize colonial. This village has farming, craft, black smith, silver smith, spring, water fall and forest. local handicraft production include black terracotta, basket making and fine, traditional forging of steel tools. This village is in the southern part of foot of Rinjani mountain.
In central and eastern Lombok the people speak in local dialects of the indigenous Bahasa Sasak language of the Sasak peoples of Lombok. Bahasa Indonesian is spoken by many people especially the younger generations. In the tourism areas some people may speak limited English. In some areas catering to tourists there is slightly more likelihood of limited English speakers being available.
NOTE: Scheduled airline operations flying to and from Lombok have been moved from Selaparang International Airport (IATA: AMI) across to the new Lombok International Airport (BIL), (IATA: LOP, ICAO: WADL) in central southern Lombok near the city of Praya.
Please see the main Lombok article for more details on the new international airport and connecting services to destinations across the island.
Public ferries provide services for both passengers and vehicles. Labuhan Lombok is on the mid east coast of the island and provides connections from Sumbawa east of Lombok.
Tanjung Lembar in the south west of the island is Lombok's main port and handles small freighters, fishing boats and the combination vehicle and passenger ferries arriving by sea from Bali westward of Lombok.
- Alat Strait: Labuhan Lombok - from: Pototano, Sumbawa with 8 ferries providing 18 crossings per day.
- Lombok Strait: Lembar Lombok - from: Padangbai, Bali, with 12 ferries providing crossings once every hour.
These ferries connecting to nearby Sumbawa are the principal facilities for road transport movement including sea borne passengers and private cars in and out of Lombok across the sea to and from the east. Disruptions on these routes can occur as the shipping operators on these routes will often suspend services due to breakdown or heavy seas.
Lombok International Airport (BIL) (IATA: LOP, ICAO: WADL) is south west of Praya in south central Lombok. This new international airport will provide facilities for wide bodied aircraft and more modern terminal facilities and cargo facilities.
Please see the main Lombok article for more details on the new international airport and connecting services to Central and East Lombok.
- Please see the main Lombok article article for more detailed information on driving in Lombok and ensure you obtain and use a helmet when riding a motor bike.
- Metered taxis normally operate in the central and eastern area of Lombok however they will be hard to find in the more remote areas. Bookings can be made in advance by calling their radio despatch service.
- Bluebird * Lombok Taksi, ☎ +62 370 627000, . 24hr service. edit
- Express * Express Taksi, ☎ +62 370 635968, . 24hr service. edit
- The Gili islands of the east
- The small islands of Gili Lawang, Gili Sulat and Gili Pentangan lie just off the beaches of the north east coast beaches
- The Dorsal Effect, ☎ +65 97668842 ([email protected]), . Eco-tourism social enterprise, based in Kuta, conducting snorkeling trips in the Tanjung Luar area to help the local shark fishermen change their livelihoods to guiding tourists instead of catching sharks. See pristine, empty beaches, beautiful live corals, and lots of active marine life. Check out their Facebook Page for plenty of photos and reviews. US$ 80-120. edit
The Central and Eastern area has limited restaurants catering to tourists.
The region has many small warungs and local eating houses selling local food at very reasonable prices. Be cautious with hygiene and ensure you are clear about what you are ordering.
Licensed premises such as hotels and some restaurants may serve alcohol. Do not expect alcoholic drinks to be openly served in this part of Lombok and please respect local sensibilities by avoiding drinking openly in public.
Local coffee, tea, fruit juices, coconut juice and softdrinks (sodas) are normally readily available.
Try to keep off the roads at night and avoid travelling in the more remote areas on your own.
Lock up your possessions and never leave your luggage or personal items unattended.
Please see the main Lombok article for more details on health and safety.
- Mataram the islands main city and the provincial Capital and location of the islands current Selaparang Airport at Ampenan and including Cacranegara and Sweta
- North Lombok, including Senaru, Mount Rinjani, Sembalun, Bayan and the lesser known north eastern Gilli islands.
- South Lombok, including Sekotong, Banko Banko, Gile Gede and it's satellites, Kuta beach, Tanjung A'an and many more south coast surf beaches
- West Lombok, including Batu Bolong, Lembar, Senggigi beach, Mangsit beach, Klui beach and further to the north Tanjung
- Gili Islands in West Lombok
Central and Eastern Lombok has varying terrain and land use from urban townships to remote valleys bays and beaches. Accordingly mobile telephonary varies from reasonable to patchy to non-existent.
The towns and built up areas normally have reasonable to good coverage from the two main operators.
- Telkonsel is operated by Indonesia's Telkom. They provide GSM 2G and in some areas 3G reception and broadband wireless connections may be possible.
- XL comm also provides a wide coverage of 2G and in some areas 3G coverage.
- Telkom also provide a 2.5G CDMA service branded as "Flexi" throughout much of Lombok.
Post office services are available in Mataram at the central post office. It may be prudent to use the the main office in Mataram at Jalan Sriwijarya, Mataram, ☎ +62 370 632645 if required or the Kantor Pos situated in the regional city of Praya.
Post offices are described as Kantor Pos in Indonesia.
- Please see the Lombok main article for a more comprehensive list of medical facilities available in Mataram.
- Mataram Public Hospital (Rumah Sakit Umun), Jl. Pejanggik 6, Mataram, ☎ +62 370 638464. 24 hours UGD-Emergency room and admissions. The islands main public hospital with UGD (Unit Gawat Darurat)-Emergency treatment room, ICU and OR facilities, laboratorium, Specialist consulting rooms. edit
- Klinik Risa (Risa Centra Medika Hospital), Jl. Pejanggik No.115, Cakranegara (just east of Mataram mall on the right hand side of the road), ☎ +62 370 625560. 24 hours Emergency room. Full hospital facilities available on site, specialist consulting rooms, Dentist. edit
In emergency dial - 118
- The reality is that unless within the confines of the main city of Mataram/Ampenan/Cakranegara an ambulance is normally too far away to provide prompt transport in the case of a true emergency. Most often a taxi, police vehicle or a private car is used to get someone requiring urgent medical attention to a hospital. The ambulances in Lombok are more often used in the role of assisted patient transport rather than for first responder/paramedic supported emergency assistance and transport.
|This is a usable article. It gives a good overview of the region, its sights, and how to get in, as well as links to the main destinations, whose articles are similarly well developed. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!